As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pre-PAX breakfast

13»

• Options
    SpawnOfCthulhuSpawnOfCthulhu Also that Snifit guy. Gig Harbor, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I might be up to this, depending on how much sleep I get the previous night...

SpawnOfCthulhu on
    Wx8ay.png
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Can someone draw me a map of where the breakfast hot spots are? I missed the main group last year and wandered down on my own. We found a decent like sit down breakfast place, but crumpets were not to be found.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    DragondevonDragondevon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    all i keep hearing about are events where people get drunk is there going to be any events (aside from the prepax dinner) that doesnt specifially involve alcohol? because i see no reason for me to be able to get up in time for this and feel refreshed to boot

Dragondevon on
    "The times are duanting, its perilous to walk out your front door anymore. The enemy is everywhere, hidden in technology, smiling faces, and laziness. Though, we are not given the luxury to give up. We are the last bastion of hope for our species. We are HUMANS!!!!RAAAAAR"-Devon
    "Dude, I think he's a zombie."
    "No he's not, he's dead."
    "But he's still walking around."
    "Which makes him one of the walking dead."
    "Exactly."
    "So, he's dead."
    "No, that makes him a zombie."

"You sound like WALL-E having sex with a Speak and Spell"
  • Options
    SrolSrol Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sounds like a good way to kick off my Seattle adventure and engage in some mandatory socialization activities outside of the pre-PAX dinner.

And since I'm coming from New Mexico, it will only be 8:00 AM for me. I'm in.

Srol on
  • Options
    wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Arco wrote: »
    I plan on getting donuts every morning. And possibly in the afternoon.

Top Pot had delicious donuts. And decent drip, too.

wobblyheadedbob on
  • Options
    Brex123Brex123 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I might go to this, depending on when my dad and I get up in the morning. We may just be grabbing something at the hotel and running to the Center if we sleep in a little.

Brex123 on
  • Options
    RaymanRayman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Brex123 wrote: »
    I might go to this, depending on when my dad and I get up in the morning. We may just be grabbing something at the hotel and running to the Center if we sleep in a little.

Its nice to know I wont be the only *ahem* 'experienced' gamer at PAX....(meaning older than dirt if you listen to my kids...)

Rayman on
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Rayman wrote: »
    (meaning older than dirt if you listen to my kids...)

Oh your kids are totally nicer to you about that. My sister and I call my dad a day younger than when the Worlds were created.

Anywho! I will probably meet everyone at the pig/trolley/that area there. I'm usually a slow walker--unless at Disneyland--plus, it'll be nice to take a walk down towards the waters. I think Seattle is the cleaner sister city to San Francisco. Probably why I like it there so much.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    razoredgrazoredg Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    barring a hangover-induced sleep from both the PPD and the Tri-wiz, ill try and haul myself down. crumpets sound like an amazing post pub-crawl food :)

razoredg on
    Razoredg--X13 Counting the days till Prime 2010!
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Actually I was referring to Daily Dozen Donut Co. They make little mini donuts out of a stall in the Pike Place market, and they're the best donuts you're ever going to eat. The dude literally asks how many you want, takes fresh ones that are just then getting done out of the oil, asks if you want powdered sugar (I said no), and throws them in a bag for you. With absolutely nothing on them at all they're the best donuts I've ever had.

For a long time they were on the Wikipedia page for donut, although they aren't anymore. Thus, I call them "Wikipedia donuts." Or sometimes "Paradigmatic donuts."

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    Sir_LagSir_Lag Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Actually I was referring to Daily Dozen Donut Co. They make little mini donuts out of a stall in the Pike Place market, and they're the best donuts you're ever going to eat. The dude literally asks how many you want, takes fresh ones that are just then getting done out of the oil, asks if you want powdered sugar (I said no), and throws them in a bag for you. With absolutely nothing on them at all they're the best donuts I've ever had.

For a long time they were on the Wikipedia page for donut, although they aren't anymore. Thus, I call them "Wikipedia donuts." Or sometimes "Paradigmatic donuts."
    Being Canadian, I must pass my judgement before such a claim can be made :P

Sir_Lag on
  • Options
    SpawnOfCthulhuSpawnOfCthulhu Also that Snifit guy. Gig Harbor, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

Being a Seattleit, I can vouch for the PURE, UNFILTERED DELICIOUSNESS that these donuts contain.
    They are cheap, and absolutely delicious.
    If I can't afford to go out for breakfast, at the very least I will be buying a bag of these delicious treats :3

SpawnOfCthulhu on
    Wx8ay.png
  • Options
    Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm going to try to make this too. I come in too late on the 3rd for any of the other pre-PAX stuff, but this I can manage... if I can wake up, that is.

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • Options
    HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Okay, well, here's the deal, if people want to separately meet at Pike's Place that's fine, but I would rather walk over as a group for the following reasons:

1) For those of us from out of town, it makes it less likely that anyone will get lost on the way
    2) The current meeting location is moderately near many of the hotels, so people will have less trouble finding it
    3) Pike's Place Market is rather large and we won't be the only ones there. Speaking as someone who went last year who was totally new to PAX (and Seattle) and didn't know anyone, it's much easier to identify other PAXers and join up a little bit away from the market rather than arriving at the market itself and trying to find the PAX people. I know I tried re-finding the group in the market when we lost everyone and I wasn't able to. I was also not brave enough to just walk up to random people at the market to ask, "Are you the Pre-PAX breakfast?"

Therefore, if you want to meet elsewhere, good on ya, have fun. I will be brandishing my sign in front of the Barnes and Noble at 7am for the people who, like me, want to walk over as a group to have some social time before arriving.

Hypatia on
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sure. I'll meet up at B&N.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    ill meet up at BN with you, and i can get my post pax dinner stuff from you to arco :)

Dragondevon on
    "The times are duanting, its perilous to walk out your front door anymore. The enemy is everywhere, hidden in technology, smiling faces, and laziness. Though, we are not given the luxury to give up. We are the last bastion of hope for our species. We are HUMANS!!!!RAAAAAR"-Devon
    "Exactly."
    "So, he's dead."

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm telling you guys, there's no where to meet at the B&N. Just a thin sidewalk. If you want to meet up there, meet on the steps to the WSCTC.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Well, it looks like across from the B&N is a kind of open-ish area with benches and more space, can someone verify that? We could shift over to that side of the street if the sidewalk in front of the B&N isn't sufficient, or is that open area something critical to Seattle traffic? I'm just going off of the street view in Google Maps at this point :)

Hypatia on
  • Options
    masterredbirdmasterredbird Registered User new member
    edited August 2009
    Sounds great I'm in!

masterredbird on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    yes there is a really good meet up spot aross the street from BN with a benches.

Dragondevon on
    "Exactly."
    "So, he's dead."

• Options
    edited September 2009
    So, now that BYOC entry is 7am... who wants to grab LATE pre-PAX breakfast with me, after dropping the PC's off?

Houn on
  • Options
    BozkoBozko Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    i think i may have to bail on this... im going to be having a late night of Magic prior to the crumpety goodness.... but then again i live here so i guess i can eat crumpets whenever.

Bozko on
    R.O.A.C.H. 's Aluminum Chef~
    SUPER VILLAINS UNITE!
    JOIN R.O.A.C.H. Today!
    The Destructive Kitchen
    R.O.A.C.H. Home Page
  • Options
    dlpwillywonkadlpwillywonka Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    waffleboi9 wrote: »
    green eggs and ham

I'm in. Eateries that promote Seussian values deserve my money.

dlpwillywonka on
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
    Carl Sagan
  • Options
    Queen BrewerQueen Brewer Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I am definitely down to grab a late Pre-PAX Breakfast. Since I'm only bringing a laptop and will pick up my BYOC badge Thursday, I'll hopefully be able to lock down my lappy, run to Pike Place, and be back with plenty of time to be there at 8 for the first line openings.

Queen Brewer on
    <Moe_Fwacky> once i had next door neighbors
    <Moe_Fwacky> nice girls
    <Moe_Fwacky> lesbians
    <Moe_Fwacky> robbed drugstores together
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I'm not even worried about being near the front of the line; we're in BYOC, we already get concert bracelets.

Houn on
  • Options
    ShaggyShanShaggyShan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    As both pre and post PAX dinners are full, defiantly gonna try for this.

ShaggyShan on
  • Options
    mailboxhead2188mailboxhead2188 Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    I'll do my damnedest to be there, as well, although that all depends on how tonight goes.

Go PAX!

mailboxhead2188 on
    "For here we now sit on the edge of oblivion, looking out into the distance beyond which mortal man has never conceived of words to describe...and yet, the urge to fling ourselves from its edge into the precipice and unknown is greater than ever.

Ah fuck it, why not"
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    So across the street from B&N, right?

wobblyheadedbob on
  • Options
    Soda241Soda241 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Don't think i will even be going to sleep so fair enough :D

Soda241 on
  • Options
    HyperneticHypernetic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hypatia wrote: »
    Okay, well, here's the deal, if people want to separately meet at Pike's Place that's fine, but I would rather walk over as a group for the following reasons:

1) For those of us from out of town, it makes it less likely that anyone will get lost on the way
    2) The current meeting location is moderately near many of the hotels, so people will have less trouble finding it
    3) Pike's Place Market is rather large and we won't be the only ones there. Speaking as someone who went last year who was totally new to PAX (and Seattle) and didn't know anyone, it's much easier to identify other PAXers and join up a little bit away from the market rather than arriving at the market itself and trying to find the PAX people. I know I tried re-finding the group in the market when we lost everyone and I wasn't able to. I was also not brave enough to just walk up to random people at the market to ask, "Are you the Pre-PAX breakfast?"

Therefore, if you want to meet elsewhere, good on ya, have fun. I will be brandishing my sign in front of the Barnes and Noble at 7am for the people who, like me, want to walk over as a group to have some social time before arriving.

I'm gonna say that I SHOULD be there.

Hypernetic on
  • Options
    pipesdreamspipesdreams Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    CRUMPETS CRUMPETS CRUMPETS NOM NOM NOM

pipesdreams on
    Let's play Doctor... (Mario)!
  • Options
    Tony_WTony_W Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    I'll defiantly wanna try and come. In fact, probably be able to come anyway. :P

Tony_W on
  • Options
    Sigma2Sigma2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'M ON MY WAY!

Sigma2 on
  • Options
    SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    how was the turnout for this?
    Lol, I think most of us were still in bed drunk after the tri-wizard the night before...

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Serenity wrote: »
    how was the turnout for this?
    Lol, I think most of us were still in bed drunk after the tri-wizard the night before...

It was decent. I think this was more casual than the other Pre-PAX stuff. Maybe 25 people? I don't know, I'm always bad at estimating that stuff.

wobblyheadedbob on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, maybe 25 people, thank you everyone for coming, I apologize for the crumpet shop being closed. I checked their hours and things looked good, it just wasn't in the stars though, of all the days for them to post a temporary note saying they were opening late!

Hope everyone managed to get some food and to meet some people!

Hypatia on
  • Options
    refragrefrag Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I had fun! Met some great folks that helped pass the time in the Great PAX Queue of 2009. Thanks for organizing this!

refrag on
This discussion has been closed.