As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[weeaboo bullshit] Shin-Chan :'(

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    FCD wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmNRv7yVfk&feature=related

Yes, that is Optimus Prime. Yes, the trailer attempts to make Tenchi sound bad ass.

Well, the first Tenchi movie was pretty cool. I remember Sci-Fi showing it, back in the day.

Ahh Toonami, good times, good times.

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    And now, Cartoon Network shows live action movies, pseudo-reality shows and sports. There aren't enough tears in the universe :(

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hehe figured as much, well lets see what I've seen so far,

-Finally Watched Evangelion start to finish (I had watched multiple episodes before, just never the whole series (sweet gobs on a stick what were these wankers smoking when they made this show...?)

-Pretty much all the Tenchi Muyo Series (My guilty Pleasure)

-Vandread (Thoroughly Meh, but nice CGI/Anime integration)

-Irresponsible Captain Tylor (LOVE This series and OVAs)

-Melancholoy of Haruhi Suzumiya (Interesting idea of a series, but thoroughly unsatisfied with the ending)

-Monster (Just started this one, kinda of intriguing I have to say!)

-Canaan (Trying to get into this, but it just started so I'm hoping it starts explaining a bit more, only seen about 2 eps so far)

-Gurren Langen (Hehe, this one is pretty interesting so far, seen only about 6 episodes)

-Naruto Shippuden (Also thanks to the hookup my friend provided, I'm not sure which character I'd like to punch in the Jimmies more....Sasuke, Naruto, or Ichigo, they all make me want to throttle them sometimes)

Black Lagoon (Good fun, but my god it hurts to listen to them try to speak engrish....ow ow ow)

And those are the major ones off the top of my head.

Okay, so there's lots of area to cover, you seem to lean towards shonen series (although with your hatred of the main characters in Naruto/Bleach, perhaps the normal ones aren't your cup of tea?).

Obligatory first recommendation: Cowboy Bebop. Some other stuff you probably want to look into: Hellsing (either the original series or the new OVAs), Trigun, Fullmetal Alchemist (once more, either new series or old one - new series is ongoing and will eventually be a superior whole, but for now I'd say check out the old one in its entirety, keeping in mind that it deviates from the source material), Baccano (which I recommend to everyone, damnit :P - but hey, almost the entire series is up for free on Funi's website now!), and if you want to tackle the best of the ongoing shonen series (which is also, admittedly, probably the hardest to get into), you can look into One Piece - it's the only series which has its own thread around here.

There's tons more I'm forgetting, but you've got a world of ground to cover, so you can always take your time and come back for more :)

Jragghen on
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Jragghen wrote: »

-Finally Watched Evangelion start to finish (I had watched multiple episodes before, just never the whole series (sweet gobs on a stick what were these wankers smoking when they made this show...?)

-Melancholoy of Haruhi Suzumiya (Interesting idea of a series, but thoroughly unsatisfied with the ending)

-Canaan (Trying to get into this, but it just started so I'm hoping it starts explaining a bit more, only seen about 2 eps so far)

-Gurren Langen (Hehe, this one is pretty interesting so far, seen only about 6 episodes)

-Naruto Shippuden (Also thanks to the hookup my friend provided, I'm not sure which character I'd like to punch in the Jimmies more....Sasuke, Naruto, or Ichigo, they all make me want to throttle them sometimes)

Black Lagoon (Good fun, but my god it hurts to listen to them try to speak engrish....ow ow ow)

Okay, so there's lots of area to cover, you seem to lean towards shonen series (although with your hatred of the main characters in Naruto/Bleach, perhaps the normal ones aren't your cup of tea?).

Obligatory first recommendation: Cowboy Bebop. Some other stuff you probably want to look into: Hellsing (either the original series or the new OVAs), Trigun, Fullmetal Alchemist (once more, either new series or old one - new series is ongoing and will eventually be a superior whole, but for now I'd say check out the old one in its entirety, keeping in mind that it deviates from the source material), Baccano (which I recommend to everyone, damnit :P - but hey, almost the entire series is up for free on Funi's website now!), and if you want to tackle the best of the ongoing shonen series (which is also, admittedly, probably the hardest to get into), you can look into One Piece - it's the only series which has its own thread around here.

There's tons more I'm forgetting, but you've got a world of ground to cover, so you can always take your time and come back for more :)

Awesome recommendations, I do remember seeing a few episodes of Trigun and it got me intrigued, but I never got around to downloading it, so I'll have to take a look at it.

Cowboy Bebop also looks good, I saw several episodes back when it was all on Adult Swim, but I definitely need to see it start to finish instead of sporadic updates.

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

Dude, watch the dub. Trust me on this; the dub is fucking fantastic.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ah just stumbled upon this thread, kudos for getting it set up. So I've been watching a few shows here and there, I sort of just got into anime and the glorious world of Fansubbing (sweet christ there are so many different groups I can't even keep track of them).

Anyhow one of the shows I saw here mentioned was Bleach. Thankfully I got the hookup from a friend who provided all the episodes to the current arc and I've sort of muscled through them in the last couple of weeks.

One thing that's been irking me about the show (among other things), is it just me or is the placement of "filler" episodes just outright retarded?

I can understand filler, and its necessity, but sweet christ cakes covered in syrup, this show has redefined "insert crappy filler here" syndrome to a whole 'nother level...

It's like as if I was at a restaurant and the meal went like this...

Me: "Alrighty, time for the main course, gonna get me some steak!"
    Waiter: "Sorry sir your steak isn't ready, here's some chicken"
    Me: "But I ordered Steak...and I distinctly saw a waiter walking over with steak..."
    Waiter: "Yes but he got distracted by something shiny on the way over and now he's staring at the diamonds on a customer's finger"
    Me: "Okaaay....chicken it is then" *Begins eating chicken*
    Waiter *snatching away chicken* "Ok here's your steak, sorry about that"
    Me: "What the fux? Why'd you do tha- Wait...how come I only have a little cube of steak here? I ordered the whole damn porterhouse!!"
    Waiter: "That's all we could bring you, the rest will come later"
    Me: "Wat...."
    Waiter: "It had to be put back into the cow, I'm sure it'll be ready eventually....you done with that steak yet?"
    Me: "I'm not even sure I-"
    Waiter *Slams some more chicken on my plate* Here you go, this'll do...."
    Me: "What the hell..."
    Waiter: And when you're done with that we have some delicious beeeeeeeef jerky!
    Me:.....I'm going to McDonalds......

My guess is the anime must be catching up to the Manga or something because this is getting just plain silly...

Yeah, in most series the vast majority of filler is abysmal. That being said, Bleach isn't the best example, since the new stuff is pretty awful there, too, and the manga is lethargically slow, which is why so much filler is needed.

Amusingly enough, the current anime filler is more interesting than the manga. Go fig.

I'd recommend looking into some finished series to whet your appetite. What stuff have you seen?

You fail for not watching Black Lagoon's excellent english dub.

Also, you should really watch the original Naruto series before Shippuden. Aside from continuity, it's just a better show. Well until the year and a half of filler at the end, but that can be easily skipped.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Also, you should really watch the original Naruto series before Shippuden. Aside from continuity, it's just a better show. Well until the year and a half of filler at the end, but that can be easily skipped.

I assumed he had, to be honest.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Guys, seriously, I don't care that there's not a translation yet. Go read the RAW of FMA 99.

I need someone to talk to about it.

Ooooooh shiiiiiiit.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Guys, seriously, I don't care that there's not a translation yet. Go read the RAW of FMA 99.

Ooooooh shiiiiiiit.
    They needed five. Mustang wasn't pulled in. We can assume Hohenheim will be/was, too. Who's the fifth? Mustang and Marcoh were the candidates, but weren't ones themselves.

When will Pride arrive?

Fu D:

Oh God, I can't wait for Ran Fan v Wrath

Jragghen on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Okay, I am pulling my hair out trying to find the superb sound mixes that went with, well, every Toonami promo.

This was the one that pushed me over the brink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suUH0DCu3TA&feature=related

Anyone
    .............I must have a collection of these! There's gotta be a place to find them.

Godfather on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So, turns out there was an "episode 0" of Kino's Journey, a 15 minute thingy called "Tower Country" or something like that.

Guess what happens to the tower.
    9/11, lols
    I have to say, I really like the performance by Kino's voice actress throughout the series. Interesting, she has very few other roles. One of them being O-Ren in the anime portion of Kill Bill, heh.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I was never able to finish Kino's Journey myself. I just couldn't take it seriously, way too heavy-handed in its delivery.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Ooooooh shiiiiiiit.
    They needed five. Mustang wasn't pulled in. We can assume Hohenheim will be/was, too. Who's the fifth? Mustang and Marcoh were the candidates, but weren't ones themselves.

When will Pride arrive?

Fu D:

Oh God, I can't wait for Ran Fan v Wrath
    Looking at it again, it kind of looks like it took Ed, Al, Izumi and 2 failed Wraths. Maybe there is more than one step to it? Kind of strange. I specifically remember Van, Al, Ed, and being the 4 mentioned, with Mustang as a possible.

Wrath fight is crazy. He is just killing people off in rapid succession. Gonna be hard to wait a whole month to see some more of that. Ran Fan and Ling together should prove to be a lot more of a threat.

With Al just barely making it by vehicle, it seems like Pride would be a long way off still, but who knows? Maybe he will join up in the Wrath fight? doesn't really seem fair, but we'll see.

Also, excited at the possibility of Al finding his body :D Hope we don't just get 3 months of chapters of them at the Gate. These last ones have been at a great pace.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2009
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I was never able to finish Kino's Journey myself. I just could take it seriously, way too heavy-handed in its delivery.

Same here (assuming you meant "couldn't"), except that when everything has the twist of "actually these people are shallow and evil" twist, it gets old fast... not to mention that most are just rips of fables anyway. I got to like, episode 8 or 9 though because just spontaneously losing all interest.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, I meant couldn't. My bad.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yes, the repeated "twists" got old fast (but is it really a twist if it's obvious from the start?), but I still liked it. It just has a weird mood, Kino is a great character, and Hermes gets in some good sarcastic jabs now and then.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hey new guy: watch Baccano in english

Also Black Lagoon and Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo

And that'll do

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    You know Samurai Champloo gets a lot of flack, but I loved that series. I think once you get pass the first 8 or so episodes it gets really good(and even those episodes have their moments).

Not to mention, it had one of the best outros for an anime ever. I used to have that song too, sad I lost it.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    You know Samurai Champloo gets a lot of flack, but I loved that series. I think once you get pass the first 8 or so episodes it gets really good(and even those episodes have their moments).

Not to mention, it had one of the best outros for an anime ever. I used to have that song too, sad I lost it.

who the fuck gave samurai champloo flack i will fucking end them

Rust on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »

And that'll do

Baccano ey?

I must investimagate!

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

And that'll do

Baccano ey?

I must investimagate!

Click on the link in my signature

DO IT
    Rust wrote: »

I'll hold them down and you punch

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009

...You guys must have missed the thousands of internet rants about how Samurai Champloo was just hip hop Samurai wanna be bullshit. And how the music and everything sucked. And how it wasn't as good as Cowboy Bebop and baw baw baw.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

...You guys must have missed the thousands of internet rants about how Samurai Champloo was just hip hop Samurai wanna be bullshit. And how the music and everything sucked. And how it wasn't as good as Cowboy Bebop and baw baw baw.

I WILL END ALL OF THEM

Rust on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I wouldn't take it too serious. Most of these posts were from anime fans who think the quality of a show is based on how moe a character is and how many stupid situations they can get themselves in while striking poses and being oh so Japanese.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

That's not exactly what I said but it's sums up a lot of the feelings I had about the show. Never compared it to Bebop though. Mainly because that's an unfair comparison in all but a few cases.

I wouldn't take it too serious. Most of these posts were from anime fans who think the quality of a show is based on how moe a character is and how many stupid situations they can get themselves in while striking poses and being oh so Japanese.

You literally described almost every episode of Champloo

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited September 2009

That's not exactly what I said but it's sums up a lot of the feelings I had about the show. Never compared it to Bebop though. Mainly because that's an unfair comparison in all but a few cases.

Riptor we're now mortal enemies

Just fyi

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    You know it is quite the opposite for me. Samurai Champloo had one of the few OSTs from a anime that I honestly enjoyed. It was just a really good piece of work to me. And the show was funny and the fight scenes were pretty well done.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

i mean champloo's plot was disconnected and scattered as shit but i thought that actually played to its strengths by the end, they were trying to do a thing and constantly getting sidetracked by wacky hijinks and the fact that two-thirds of the main cast had a blood grudge against each other and a plain old grudge against the last third

and then they do what they set out to do and there, that's it, end of story

for a show about hip-hop samurai action and an expy of shigesato itoi who summoned meteors with his shamisen the story structure was incredibly down-to-earth

Rust on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2009
    I stopped caring about it when there was an 8 month gap between episodes, and the episodes it came back with were easily some of the worst in the series.

Admittedly, that was when I paid attention to subs.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Riptor we're now mortal enemies

Just fyi

That's fine. I believe I've offended Jragghen first though so he may have dibs.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ah just stumbled upon this thread, kudos for getting it set up. So I've been watching a few shows here and there, I sort of just got into anime and the glorious world of Fansubbing (sweet christ there are so many different groups I can't even keep track of them).

Anyhow one of the shows I saw here mentioned was Bleach. Thankfully I got the hookup from a friend who provided all the episodes to the current arc and I've sort of muscled through them in the last couple of weeks.

One thing that's been irking me about the show (among other things), is it just me or is the placement of "filler" episodes just outright retarded?

I can understand filler, and its necessity, but sweet christ cakes covered in syrup, this show has redefined "insert crappy filler here" syndrome to a whole 'nother level...

It's like as if I was at a restaurant and the meal went like this...

Me: "Alrighty, time for the main course, gonna get me some steak!"
    Waiter: "Sorry sir your steak isn't ready, here's some chicken"
    Me: "But I ordered Steak...and I distinctly saw a waiter walking over with steak..."
    Waiter: "Yes but he got distracted by something shiny on the way over and now he's staring at the diamonds on a customer's finger"
    Me: "Okaaay....chicken it is then" *Begins eating chicken*
    Waiter *snatching away chicken* "Ok here's your steak, sorry about that"
    Me: "What the fux? Why'd you do tha- Wait...how come I only have a little cube of steak here? I ordered the whole damn porterhouse!!"
    Waiter: "That's all we could bring you, the rest will come later"
    Me: "Wat...."
    Waiter: "It had to be put back into the cow, I'm sure it'll be ready eventually....you done with that steak yet?"
    Me: "I'm not even sure I-"
    Waiter *Slams some more chicken on my plate* Here you go, this'll do...."
    Me: "What the hell..."
    Waiter: And when you're done with that we have some delicious beeeeeeeef jerky!
    Me:.....I'm going to McDonalds......

My guess is the anime must be catching up to the Manga or something because this is getting just plain silly...

Yeah, in most series the vast majority of filler is abysmal. That being said, Bleach isn't the best example, since the new stuff is pretty awful there, too, and the manga is lethargically slow, which is why so much filler is needed.

Amusingly enough, the current anime filler is more interesting than the manga. Go fig.

I'd recommend looking into some finished series to whet your appetite. What stuff have you seen?

Thegreatcow, I'd recommend dropping Naruto. You seem to be getting pretty burnt out so far, and really, it only gets worse, both anime and manga-wise.

Naruto aside, here are my recommendations on anime you might like:
    Action / Adventure: Black Lagoon, Samurai Champloo, Sword of the Stranger
    Action / Sci-fi: Canaan, Darker than Black, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
    Adventure / Drama: Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
    Adventure / Fantasy: Fullmetal Alchemist, Xam'd
    Comedy / Slice of life: Azumanga Daioh
    Comedy / Despair: Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
    Drama / Economics: Spice & Wolf
    Drama /Supernatural: Bakemonogatari
    Fantasy / Mecha: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
    Horror / Trainwreck: School Days
    Supernatural / Thriller: Death Note
    Something completely awesome: Baccano!

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    It's a trap!

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    i'll also recommend the dub of paranoia agent, like always

Rust on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    You know...while School Days is a horrible, horrible anime...it has to be one of my favorite harem anime. Since it has a realistic view on what should happen to the completely unlikable, jackass protagonists who girls just fall over that are oh so popular in that genre.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm surprised no one has recommended Great Teacher Onizuka yet. It's a popular shounen comedy that's been a manga, anime, live action drama, movie, and currently has a sequel running in Weekly Shonen.

If you enjoyed Irresponsible Captain Tylor, this will remind you a bit of it. They both center around a buffoonish main character who's initially despised by everyone else for not acting like he's supposed to, and gradually wins people over as his methods get results.

Cantide on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    GTO despite having a lackluster ending in the anime is one of the best things I've ever seen.

Passable dub too.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Cantide wrote: »
    I'm surprised no one has recommended Great Teacher Onizuka yet. It's a popular shounen comedy that's been a manga, anime, live action drama, movie, and currently has a sequel running in Weekly Shonen.

If you enjoyed Irresponsible Captain Tylor, this will remind you a bit of it. They both center around a buffoonish main character who's initially despised by everyone else for not acting like he's supposed to, and gradually wins people over as his methods get results.

Though, while GTO is great. Be prepared to see attempted suicide every other chapter. I swear they should have just locked the school roof off at a certain point.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Cantide wrote: »

Though, while GTO is great. Be prepared to see attempted suicide every other chapter. I swear they should have just locked the school roof off at a certain point.

Oh sweet! I remember reading the first couple of mangas from Tokyopop back in the day, and found them hilarious as all hell, how does the anime compare to the manga flow/acting wise?

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You know...while School Days is a horrible, horrible anime...it has to be one of my favorite harem anime. Since it has a realistic view on what should happen to the completely unlikable, jackass protagonists who girls just fall over that are oh so popular in that genre.

I don't really understand why people consider School Days to be so terrible when it's a deliberate deconstruction. It's not as if they set out to make a standard harem show and then whoops,
    bloodbath.

It's like complaining that the Berserk anime is awful because it ends with
    the Eclipse
    instead of Guts and Griffith saving the world through the power of friendship. Or that Evangelion is bad because Shinji didn't just kick reason to the curb, do the impossible, see the invisible, touch the untouchable, break the unbreakable, and (rah rah) fight the power.

Cantide on
This discussion has been closed.