That's box-art, alright.

Falx on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You could fry an egg on those abs.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Man, Black Lagoon was such a great series. But since the manga is still ongoing(and updates extremely show. I think Berserk updates more than Black Lagoon does) you really don't get anything close to resolution plotwise in the anime. Usually I hate 50 episode anime, but I think Black Lagoon would have been one of the exceptions.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Falx wrote: »
    Slicer wrote: »
    Aroduc wrote: »
    Or an exposition series.

It should still be greatly improved by giving JCStaff much more free reign to get away from the endless droning on and ditching Captain "I'm an automatic counter to fucking everything" from the protagonist role.

I don't think I've ever seen a non-Shonen Jump series with as much pointless exposition as Index.

I'm surprised I made it to the end of the first arc before giving up. They repeated some tidbits so many times that I have the fact that Index has 103,000 magical books memorized permanently ingrained into my brain.

That said, it was my only major complaint about the show so if Railgun isn't bogged down by it (and doesn't have other unrelated issues, of course) then I'll probably watch it.

You really should check out the manga.

I probably should!

Though isn't it originally from a light novel just like Index?

Slicer on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    i read through deadman wonderland last night

normally it'd be hard to believe this shit came out of eureka 7's author, but i read the eureka 7 manga and i know his twisted little heart

Rust on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Black Lagoon blows.

Candide anime, though! Who's with me on that?

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Page- wrote: »
    Black Lagoon blows.

Candide anime, though! Who's with me on that?

jokerduck.jpg

Rust on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That... that is...

That's box-art, alright.

This is probably the only box set that I wouldn't be too ashamed to have on my dvd shelf.

Godfather on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Or an exposition series.

It should still be greatly improved by giving JCStaff much more free reign to get away from the endless droning on and ditching Captain "I'm an automatic counter to fucking everything" from the protagonist role.

I don't think I've ever seen a non-Shonen Jump series with as much pointless exposition as Index.

I'm surprised I made it to the end of the first arc before giving up. They repeated some tidbits so many times that I have the fact that Index has 103,000 magical books memorized permanently ingrained into my brain.

That said, it was my only major complaint about the show so if Railgun isn't bogged down by it (and doesn't have other unrelated issues, of course) then I'll probably watch it.

I probably should!

Index and railgun were indeed originally novels, but before the anime hit they did a manga version of both. What's available that has been translated isn't that much but it's more than enough to make me really excited about the anime.

Hell it even manages to make that little teleporter badass.

Falx on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Or an exposition series.

I probably should!

Index and railgun were indeed originally novels, but before the anime hit they did a manga version of both. What's available that has been translated isn't that much but it's more than enough to make me really excited about the anime.

Hell it even manages to make that little teleporter badass.

I see!

Come to think of it, I'll probably wait a bit since whenever I read the manga version of something it usually makes it pretty hard for me to watch the anime if they're too similar.

Though I did thumb through the first chapter of Index and unless my memory is hazy (which is certainly possible, it has been almost a year) it did seem like there were a few differences.

So I guess I'll wait and see!

Slicer on
  • Options
    blkmageblkmage Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Actually, I think Railgun is a manga-only spinoff, so there's no light novel.

blkmage on
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I like Railgun because she doesn't interrupt her fights with a lecture.
    And she's way cooler than Whatshisname from Index, who's power is to make everything boring as boring as he is. Railgun, on the other hand, is like Enel. She can do magnetism and induction in addition to the usual lightning.

In Index, she was beaten pretty easily, but she shows her true Level 5 powers in Railgun.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Heatwave wrote: »
    So another title change and yet that typo is still there, winking me in the face, making me imagine it says "Anne mated with Weeaboos uff". Damn you Dac Vin.

If you want I can add even more typos in that title. I'm cruel just like that.

@Spec: this might interest you, but I finally forced myself to finish whatever Negima is available right now. And finally, after something like 175 episodes it FINALLY got good. Not enough to wash the aftertaste of the fucking awful first 3 volumes though, but it's a start.

Jack Rakan should have been introduced at the very beginning.

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    FMA 99 RAW is out.

It's amazing.

Simply....amazing.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Am I kawaii? uguu~

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    A kiwi? You're from New Zealand? Do you know Bret and Jemaine?

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Canaan is a little fucked up at points.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    Dang

blacklagoon-sb-box-set.jpg

I want to watch Black Lagoon now.

You should. Aside from the sexy ladies, it's a pretty kickass show.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Dac Vin wrote: »
    So another title change and yet that typo is still there, winking me in the face, making me imagine it says "Anne mated with Weeaboos uff". Damn you Dac Vin.

@Spec: this might interest you, but I finally forced myself to finish whatever Negima is available right now. And finally, after something like 175 episodes it FINALLY got good. Not enough to wash the aftertaste of the fucking awful first 3 volumes though, but it's a start.

Man, Negima got good as soon as Evangeline showed up.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Guys, seriously, I don't care that there's not a translation yet. Go read the RAW of FMA 99.

I need someone to talk to about it.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

It actually got good when pikapuff spoiler
    Negi ate a rock spear in the chest. When you start up a new arc, THIS is the way you do it.

Hell, the magic world arc is pretty much the whole manga's saving grace as of now. I am so not waiting the inevitable "coming back home".

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Or an exposition series.

If I were to have another major complaint it would be that nearly every fight was resolved in the same manner: 'lol i haz HAX HAND and I am punching you to unconsciousness.'

Chrono Helix on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2009
    Or an exposition series.

If I were to have another major complaint it would be that nearly every fight was resolved in the same manner: 'lol i haz HAX HAND and I am punching you to unconsciousness.'

They were at least a little creative at the start, with the sprinklers and DRAGON ARM and that stuff made sense, but after that... yeah. They got pretty lazy for the last three arcs Touma was involved in.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Guys, seriously, I don't care that there's not a translation yet. Go read the RAW of FMA 99.

That part where Al said * untranslated Gibberish* ?

Chills.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Chills.

:x

Jragghen on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    Dang

blacklagoon-sb-box-set.jpg

I want to watch Black Lagoon now.

You should. Aside from the sexy ladies, it's a pretty kickass show.

I actually think I will, but i'm going to be professional about it and pick up the DVDs.

I have a feeling that i'm going to burn through it.

Godfather on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Chills.

You're better than this. I believe you're talking about the part where he says there's a rocking horse chasing a man with a spear into small log cabin.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2009
    Frosteey wrote: »

Chills.

You're better than this. I believe you're talking about the part where he says there's a rocking horse chasing a man with a spear into small log cabin.

No. It was Professor Plum with a candle in the observatory.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

Negi ate a rock spear in the chest. When you start up a new arc, THIS is the way you do it.

Hell, the magic world arc is pretty much the whole manga's saving grace as of now. I am so not waiting the inevitable "coming back home".
    You see, the problem is that Rakan is too awesome for mundane settings.

He would walk into Mahora Academy and impregnate all of the schoolgirls that witnessed him until the Headmaster came out to put a limiter on his manliness.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

Sorry I'm going to wait for the translation.

How real does shit get?

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    darunia106 wrote: »

Sorry I'm going to wait for the translation.

How real does shit get?

Realer than One Piece was in Impel Down.
    Serious. Fucking spoilers. SERIOUS FUCKING SPOILERS
    Fu and Ling fight the Furher. Ling gets incapacitated, Fu goes for a suicide attack, fails, and gets cut in half in a very brutal manner, which allows the one Northern guy who got stabbed with the Wrath's sword to stab Wrath with it through Fu's body. Ran Fan sees all of this, and jumps down to join Ling, who's freed himself, going into the next chapter.

MEANWHILE, UNDER THE PALACE, the group is facing off with a group of special zombies who are designed to protect the one guy, who seemingly have some of Wrath's ability. Crazy scientist dude starts a reaction, which spreads over the whole city.

Chapter ends with Ed, Al, and Izumi being sucked into the gate in front of everyone else, powerless to stop them.

For people watching the anime, that bit with Mustang fishing, through the stuff going on right now in the anime, through stuff a tiny little bit in the future was my favorite part of the series. End Act 1, so to speak. Until now.

This part of the series was getting close. Was just about equal, but just couldn't seem to break out. Until this chapter.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Canaan 11:
    Liang Qi was the main event here, no doubt about it. Usually when people try to portray crazy people in acting, it just ends up being funny to watch, and not disturbing and unsettling like in real life. Rie Tanaka's voice work here was a case of the latter. Great performance. As for the character, well, there was no real hope for her. She was crazy and got put down like a dog.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Spectrum wrote: »

He would walk into Mahora Academy and impregnate all of the schoolgirls that witnessed him until the Headmaster came out to put a limiter on his manliness.

Has being too awesome EVER stopped Rakan though? I mean, I fully expect to do his trick again where he just do something out of sheer will, said trick being going from magic world back to earth.

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

Has being too awesome EVER stopped Rakan though? I mean, I fully expect to do his trick again where he just do something out of sheer will, said trick being going from magic world back to earth.
    "JACK RAKAN FORCE TELEPORT TO MUNDANE WORLD FLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARE"

No, wait, needs more words in it to be like one of his.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009

"JACK RAKAN FORCE TELEPORT TO MUNDANE WORLD FLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARE"

No, wait, needs more words in it to be like one of his.

"RAKAN WAAAAARRRRRRRRP!"

Sometimes, less is more.

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ah just stumbled upon this thread, kudos for getting it set up. So I've been watching a few shows here and there, I sort of just got into anime and the glorious world of Fansubbing (sweet christ there are so many different groups I can't even keep track of them).

Anyhow one of the shows I saw here mentioned was Bleach. Thankfully I got the hookup from a friend who provided all the episodes to the current arc and I've sort of muscled through them in the last couple of weeks.

One thing that's been irking me about the show (among other things), is it just me or is the placement of "filler" episodes just outright retarded?

I can understand filler, and its necessity, but sweet christ cakes covered in syrup, this show has redefined "insert crappy filler here" syndrome to a whole 'nother level...

It's like as if I was at a restaurant and the meal went like this...

Me: "Alrighty, time for the main course, gonna get me some steak!"
    Waiter: "Sorry sir your steak isn't ready, here's some chicken"
    Me: "But I ordered Steak...and I distinctly saw a waiter walking over with steak..."
    Waiter: "Yes but he got distracted by something shiny on the way over and now he's staring at the diamonds on a customer's finger"
    Me: "Okaaay....chicken it is then" *Begins eating chicken*
    Waiter *snatching away chicken* "Ok here's your steak, sorry about that"
    Me: "What the fux? Why'd you do tha- Wait...how come I only have a little cube of steak here? I ordered the whole damn porterhouse!!"
    Waiter: "That's all we could bring you, the rest will come later"
    Me: "Wat...."
    Waiter: "It had to be put back into the cow, I'm sure it'll be ready eventually....you done with that steak yet?"
    Me: "I'm not even sure I-"
    Waiter *Slams some more chicken on my plate* Here you go, this'll do...."
    Me: "What the hell..."
    Waiter: And when you're done with that we have some delicious beeeeeeeef jerky!
    Me:.....I'm going to McDonalds......

My guess is the anime must be catching up to the Manga or something because this is getting just plain silly...

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Ah just stumbled upon this thread, kudos for getting it set up. So I've been watching a few shows here and there, I sort of just got into anime and the glorious world of Fansubbing (sweet christ there are so many different groups I can't even keep track of them).

Anyhow one of the shows I saw here mentioned was Bleach. Thankfully I got the hookup from a friend who provided all the episodes to the current arc and I've sort of muscled through them in the last couple of weeks.

One thing that's been irking me about the show (among other things), is it just me or is the placement of "filler" episodes just outright retarded?

I can understand filler, and its necessity, but sweet christ cakes covered in syrup, this show has redefined "insert crappy filler here" syndrome to a whole 'nother level...

Me: "But I ordered Steak...and I distinctly saw a waiter walking over with steak..."
    Waiter: "Yes but he got distracted by something shiny on the way over and now he's staring at the diamonds on a customer's finger"
    Me: "What the fux? Why'd you do tha- Wait...how come I only have a little cube of steak here? I ordered the whole damn porterhouse!!"
    Waiter: "It had to be put back into the cow, I'm sure it'll be ready eventually....you done with that steak yet?"

My guess is the anime must be catching up to the Manga or something because this is getting just plain silly...

Yeah, in most series the vast majority of filler is abysmal. That being said, Bleach isn't the best example, since the new stuff is pretty awful there, too, and the manga is lethargically slow, which is why so much filler is needed.

Amusingly enough, the current anime filler is more interesting than the manga. Go fig.

I'd recommend looking into some finished series to whet your appetite. What stuff have you seen?

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Screw you, the Festival was AWESOME.

We can't be friends anymore.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Yeah, in most series the vast majority of filler is abysmal. That being said, Bleach isn't the best example, since the new stuff is pretty awful there, too, and the manga is lethargically slow, which is why so much filler is needed.

Amusingly enough, the current anime filler is more interesting than the manga. Go fig.

I'd recommend looking into some finished series to whet your appetite. What stuff have you seen?

Hehe figured as much, well lets see what I've seen so far,

-Finally Watched Evangelion start to finish (I had watched multiple episodes before, just never the whole series (sweet gobs on a stick what were these wankers smoking when they made this show...?)

-Pretty much all the Tenchi Muyo Series (My guilty Pleasure)

-Vandread (Thoroughly Meh, but nice CGI/Anime integration)

-Irresponsible Captain Tylor (LOVE This series and OVAs)

-Melancholoy of Haruhi Suzumiya (Interesting idea of a series, but thoroughly unsatisfied with the ending)

-Monster (Just started this one, kinda of intriguing I have to say!)

-Canaan (Trying to get into this, but it just started so I'm hoping it starts explaining a bit more, only seen about 2 eps so far)

-Gurren Langen (Hehe, this one is pretty interesting so far, seen only about 6 episodes)

-Naruto Shippuden (Also thanks to the hookup my friend provided, I'm not sure which character I'd like to punch in the Jimmies more....Sasuke, Naruto, or Ichigo, they all make me want to throttle them sometimes)

Black Lagoon (Good fun, but my god it hurts to listen to them try to speak engrish....ow ow ow)

And those are the major ones off the top of my head.

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmNRv7yVfk&feature=related

Yes, that is Optimus Prime. Yes, the trailer attempts to make Tenchi sound bad ass.

Well, the first Tenchi movie was pretty cool. I remember Sci-Fi showing it, back in the day.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
This discussion has been closed.