Options

New School thread

• Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    aerospace engineering more like gayrospace borengineering

have fun with your books while im building the future

sorry I believe mankind's future is in culture and thought and not in rockets :rotate:
    alright have fun with all your books while the planet is all grooss while im sittin in comfort in my moonhouse

and all of humanity will benefit from getting to the moon faster

for some reason

we haven't ascertained what it is yet but trust us

you do. You honestly feel this way. You pretend that you're joking but you actually believe this. You are incredibly ignorant and have no idea what you're talking about. It's hilarious.

L|ama on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Shank is just fulfilling the ECD requirement for Brown

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I fucking hate math but I realize that it's necessary for science, which I love

I like art and stuff too

I used to be pretty ambivalent towards maths and just saw it as a necessary tool for science, but now I'm starting to actually enjoy aspects of it. The huge advances in understanding that were brought about by calculus are just amazing.

L|ama on
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    read about godel's proof of incompleteness and tell me that's not abstract and interesting as fuck

I am reading Emperor's New Mind, and have just reached that part where he describes it.

It is hella interesting.

101 on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    nah fuck calculus

hated that stuff

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    is that the one that's like "you can't have a set that has every number in it because it does not contain
    'the thing that is not in this set' "?

unintentional on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    There's something to be said about the philosophical implications of the theory of incompleteness

I'll let one of you guys get around to that

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    @intentional:

It's related. That's Russell's Paradox (as in Bertrand Russell):

"G is the set of all sets that do not contain themselves. Does G contain itself?"

It's the set theory version of "This sentence is false."

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I have a friend majoring in biomechanical engineering and I caught a glimpse of her homework for her Differential Equations course the other day

And I was completely dumbfounded and asked her what it was, and she told me, and I was like "That... looks kind of like... c-c-c-calculus?"

And she just sadly patted my hand and said "Sort of, dear, sure. Sort of."

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    @intentional:

It's related. That's Russell's Paradox (as in Bertrand Russell):

"G is the set of all sets that do not contain themselves. Does G contain itself?"

It's the set theory version of "This sentence is false."

I think the answer to that is a slap in the face

unintentional on
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    so the common law definition of rape is "a man having sex with a woman who is not his wife and does not consent"

additionally, it was held in some courts that you had to have the intent to commit the crime you ended up committing in order to be criminally liable, so if I mean to shoot Wiggin and end up shooting Artreus, I'm still guilty. If I mean to shoot Wiggin and end up accidentally raping Artreus, I'm not guilty of rape, because my intent was to do something else. (murder)

ok stick with me now

so if you could get the court to believe it, you could theoretically have gotten off on a rape charge by a defense of mistaken identity

"your honor, I did not intend to commit an act of rape. I was just going to go have some good old-fashioned non-consensual sex with my wife and I mistook this poor woman for my spouse."

Can we start a movement to keep the definition of rape between a man and a woman, I don't want gays ruining the sanctity of my rape.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I like the concept of math but I am just so bad at it. Numbers run away from my head.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I just got a 99% on my test on tuesday because I subtracted a 1 I was supposed to add. I looked over the thing like 3 times because I always make stupid ass mistakes like that too. Ugh.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Way to go Michael Bolton.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    nah fuck calculus

hated that stuff

sorry but calculus owns, nearly every major advance in physics in the last 300 years has been largely due to calculus.

I have a friend majoring in biomechanical engineering and I caught a glimpse of her homework for her Differential Equations course the other day

And I was completely dumbfounded and asked her what it was, and she told me, and I was like "That... looks kind of like... c-c-c-calculus?"

And she just sadly patted my hand and said "Sort of, dear, sure. Sort of."

If she has to do high level chemistry, most of quantum mechanics is based on differential equations, which are calculus.

And since it's a kind of mechanical engineering, there's a buttload of differential equation stuff from the physics part of it.

L|ama on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah I always fuck up small grammar parts in Japanese. Of course this week was a huge fuck-up because I couldn't find the syllabus. So I turned in the wrong homework at the wrong time.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I got really angry at my maths homework this week, there was one specific question that had 2 matrices that we had to find the determinant of by doing 2 different series expansions on each of them. The point of that gibberish is that the answer was supposed to be the same for the first two parts and different but the same to each other for the second two parts. I got a different answer for each of them the first time, and didn't realise that they were supposed to be the same and continued on before I realised I had fucked up and had to go back and figure out how. I had a minus instead of a plus for one of them, and a 3 instead of a 5 in the other one that came from somewhere strange.
    Oh, and then for one of my calculus questions my answer was 4 times what it was supposed to be, and I still have no idea where I went wrong so I just wrote (answer)/4 at the end.

And the reaction in my chemistry lab fucked up 3 times, with each go taking over half an hour.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I had the enjoyment of getting a contaminated sample 3 times when I took chemistry because our lab was at the end of the day and whoever was there earlier was fucking retarded.

TheStig on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I have an English prompt that I think I can use Office Space as an example for.

So stoked.

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    That sucks. At least everyone's fucked up, not just mine.

What was funny was the time we were there using the university labs for a high school chem assignment and I wasn't used to using the buchner funnels and the pumps that attach to the tap, and we had to filter the sample and then collect the water to test for nitrates and phosphates and shit, and I turned the tap off before I pulled the hose from the funnel after we had been filtering the thing for like three quarters of an hour and a bunch of water went into the collecting flask and fucked it all up.

L|ama on
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I get to take a course on numerical solutions to advanced partial differential equations next term.

Probably the course I'm most excited for.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    BYToady wrote: »
    Can we start a movement to keep the definition of rape between a man and a woman, I don't want gays ruining the sanctity of my rape.

rape is a god-given heterosexual institution and we should keep it that way

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Hah, at least you weren't like the people in my class who kept turning on the water with their flask or whatever right under it despite being warned specifically about the high pressure water faucet that will force glasses out of your hand and break them.

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    BYToady wrote: »

rape is a god-given heterosexual institution and we should keep it that way

If we let the gays call it rape, the next thing you know people will start calling the fun we have with pigs and sheep rape. They will ruin everything.

TheStig on
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Man people are talking about matrices and calculus like it's nothing and I'm all lost.

Then I start talking about NURBs surfaces and fucking Ambient Occlusion and how Motion Builder hates being intuitive and then I lose you guys.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    It's ok Veretas, I'm still in algebra.

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Ugh I have to give a presentation tomorrow and I very much do not want to.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I mean Full Sail just does like the most basic of basic when it comes to GenEd classes. Highest math I did was physics.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    but physics is pretty basic math

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    CorpseRT wrote: »
    I get to take a course on numerical solutions to advanced partial differential equations next term.

You're an odd person. Let's make a club.

I did a computational modelling class last semester, which was a pretty bad time for it. Most of the stuff we were doing is just starting to make sense now that we're learning about eigenvectors and in depth stuff on matrices and differential equations, but even worse than that it assumed a basic knowledge of programming without mentioning it anywhere on applications or anything for a first semester, first year course. Oh, and the lecturers both had really strong german accents. Talking about a 'callamwecter' when we don't know what a column vector is in the first place makes things a bit tough. Understanding what we were doing then now is pretty interesting though. Thankfully I think they realised everyone was doing really badly, and made the exam incredibly easy so I ended up getting a 92.
    Veretas wrote: »
    Man people are talking about matrices and calculus like it's nothing and I'm all lost.

Then I start talking about NURBs surfaces and fucking Ambient Occlusion and how Motion Builder hates being intuitive and then I lose you guys.

I looked through my brother's write-in notes for my maths course (he did it a few years before me) and had absolutely no idea what was going on with matrices, but after actually getting taught it in lectures it seems so simple for the most part.

Not once you get to actually using proper calculus in it, like taking the expression for the force due to a single charged particle at a distance and integrating that over a circle, then integrating that out to an infinite plane to find the expression for the force due to an infinite plane of charge. And that's just first year.

L|ama on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Physics is puzzles with math.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Veretas wrote: »

I am doing maths and computer science.

I will understand all until someone talks of chemistry and physics.

101 on
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I haff twelve matchsteek

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    And that's just it. Even the computer parts is just the artsy bits. None of the actual 'science'.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Chemistry is fun. I still need another chemistry class but I don't remember any of my first one. Like nothing. I wonder if I can just coast through that...

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    AMP'd wrote: »

I haff twelve matchsteek

I would love to take laytonology

unintentional on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Hell the most 'Computer Science'-y course I've taken so far is rigging. And that's just because it involves scripting.

Actually no wait scripting was more computer sciency.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    L|ama wrote: »
    CorpseRT wrote: »

You're an odd person. Let's make a club.

I did a computational modelling class last semester, which was a pretty bad time for it. Most of the stuff we were doing is just starting to make sense now that we're learning about eigenvectors and in depth stuff on matrices and differential equations, but even worse than that it assumed a basic knowledge of programming without mentioning it anywhere on applications or anything for a first semester, first year course. Oh, and the lecturers both had really strong german accents. Talking about a 'callamwecter' when we don't know what a column vector is in the first place makes things a bit tough. Understanding what we were doing then now is pretty interesting though. Thankfully I think they realised everyone was doing really badly, and made the exam incredibly easy so I ended up getting a 92.

Yeah, I've had quite a few classes that just assume knowledge of programming languages. It was pretty annoying at first, but after a few it's gotten better. All my code is still probably horribly hacked together pieces of shit, but it works, at least.

I've had an inordinate number of eastern European professors. My electromagnetism professor this term is completely incomprehensible, unless I completely devote all my attention to just understanding what the hell he's saying.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    I can't pronounce the names of half my professors

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Looks like Qmark and I are going to talk to a large number of students about our awesome film adventures

DrIanMalcolm on
This discussion has been closed.