As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

CF Phalla Signup List

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Kaplar wrote: Β»
    Thinking about running a 40k mini in a few weeks. Is that something in which people would be interested?

The interesting thing about Phalla is, people care about the phalla. the theme is at times secondary.

A huge bonus, of course! At times, with a popular theme, you will get people begging to play.

But mostly, its not really the theme the addicts crave, it's the paranoia that comes with the phalla.

what i'm trying to say is, run it and they will come. even if your theme was snugglehug cuddlybunny fluffikins.

• Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Thinking about running a 40k mini in a few weeks. Is that something in which people would be interested?

The interesting thing about Phalla is, people care about the phalla. the theme is at times secondary.

A huge bonus, of course! At times, with a popular theme, you will get people begging to play.

But mostly, its not really the theme the addicts crave, it's the paranoia that comes with the phalla.

what i'm trying to say is, run it and they will come. even if your theme was snugglehug cuddlybunny fluffikins.

DO THIS NAO. If...y'know...you want to.

• Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    This is my official sign up to run a Vampire: The Masquerade themed Phalla.

Tentative title: V:TM: The [Phalla] for Columbus.

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012

Snugglehug Cuddlybunnies vs. Cuddlyhugs Snugglebunnies

The fighting will be FIERCE.

Kaplar on
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Logo.png

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€

• Options
    Orange SodaOrange Soda Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Rend wrote: Β»
    jdarksun wrote: Β»
    Heh, I have a Masterchef mini cooking along the same lines. :) It uses the mechanics from Sooga's Five Star Chef game, but I only have time to work on it on the weekends.

You mentioning that made me have to go read that thread
    God dang it was fun to play chef GladOS

OMG is this that awesome game that I plaed with you all. I think it was! That was soooo much fun!

edit: It TOTALLY WAS. I'm so beyond excited for this mini.

Orange Soda on
  • Options
    KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    Three(four?)way hosting madness!
    Phyphor, jdarksun, myself, and possibly shalmelo are designing a game based off of Crusader Kings 2.

Will it be massively complicated? Yet bet!
    On the level of a Blarney/Infidel or Gumpy's recently concluded main? Almost definitely!
    Will it be more somewhat more balanced than Gumpy's? Hopefully!
    Will it create the potential for hilarious stories about assassinating Bedlam's entire family out of revenge for crashing the Star's Fury? Of course!
    Is it totally flexible in terms of size (above a certain minimum threshold I'd peg as like 30? Yes, yes it is!
    Do we know when we'll be ready? No, no we do not. Did I mention it will be massively complicated?

It's going to be awesome.

Also, jdarksun would like this not to override his existing request, I think.

And it totally just went on sale today too. >_>

I may have to pick it up just so I have a frame of reference for your crazy game.

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    You probably should because it's also a pretty fun game.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    jdarksun wrote: Β»
    Kilnaga wrote: Β»
    And [CK2] totally just went on sale today too. >_>

I may have to pick it up just so I have a frame of reference for your crazy game.
    I'm going to be lifting parts of the interface's looks wholesale, so familiarity with some of the screens is a good thing.

I went and grabbed the combo with the DLC and what have you with it too, was only like 12 bucks for the whole shabang.

Kilnaga on
    "The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • Options
    mi-go huntermi-go hunter Once again I'm back in the lab. Cleaning my knives, ready for stabs.Registered User regular
    durarara03.jpg

I'll sign up to run a Durarara phalla sometime in August? Will see if I have the time.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    PhallAX 2012

Don't forget to check in if you'll be going to PAX Prime this year. MrBlarney and I will be hosting of sorts again, with our board(game)room and rallying folks for dinners.

Come play Mafia (and other like party games)!

Also, I am bringing this up again because the Post PAX Party is selling tickets and they could run out fast. I need to know how many tickets I should pick up to get rid of later. :)

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    Someone buy me a plane ticket to America along with a PAX Prime ticket and I'll gladly rock on down to PhallAX 2012

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Hey! The logical phallacy game is over, so who's next? MORE PHALLA

• Options
    Oh god, the more I create in this phalla, the more I'm going to need oversight with it to make sure nothing is blantently broken. My inspiration is partly CJ's gehenna game and my VTM fandom. You've been warned.

But, this is more a mechanics question I have for those of you who have run battle phallas:

How do you determine how much damage should be done a night?

Like, if the average player has 10 hit points and everyone can attack, should the base damage be 20% of the average hps (i.e. 2 hps)?

I'd like to hear opinions from multiple hosts and game theorists, as I've mentioned many times, I'm fine with flavor and writing, but weak on the math theory behind it.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    doublepost on accident.

Assuran on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Are you sure you want to set up a battle game without stat pages? Look at what it did to gumpy

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Aye, I realize it's going to be a ton of work, but I'm okay with that fact. I will probably approach someone to help with a stat page (Doe's is amazingly slick) to help cut down on my work load when I get the basics down, but I think I can manage even without it as long as I have an in depth spreedsheet to keep track of things as my values aren't going to be huge.

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Hey now, you gotta credit Infidel and I for doing the work on the stat pages. We've put a lot of effort into it, and I'm always grateful for Infidel's support in these matters. Ultimately, they wouldn't be possible without him.

In any case, trying to figure out numbers for battle games is as much an art as it is a science. I've run quite a few battle games and the dynamic changes so much between each one that it's hard to predict what will happen. However, I like to believe I've learned something from each one and each consecutive game has become better. I'll refrain from making any more specific comments until 38thDoe's game has been completed, since I actually did have a lot of say in its design.

As for the question of stat pages, they certainly aren't needed for every battle game. In fact, there are merits that can be said of simple systems that do not require personal pages. I've run a few battle games without the benefit of personal pages and survived the effort. So you've just gotta look at your design and see if the effort of having stat pages is worth it - it all depends on the specific game.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Ah, I wasn't sure who made the pages, I was just commenting on how great they look. The two of you should be proud of those pages.

• Options
    See page 51 for some discussion re: stat page games.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Please credit Infidel and MrBlarney for the awesome statblock pages and system. They do amazing work!
    Spoit wrote: Β»
    Are you sure you want to set up a battle game without stat pages? Look at what it did to gumpy
    I tried to run a battle game without statblocks and I lost power to my house for a week!

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Please send letters of reference to this address in order to reserve a spot for a new Mini Phalla

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Infidel wrote: Β»
    Page 51 of which thread?

• Options
    This thread.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    Bedlam wrote: Β»
    Page 51 of which thread?

With no thread mentioned, the one we're in?

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: Β»
    Page 51 of which thread?

This thread.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Oh dang I came back to edit it. I was thinking he ment 51 of EVO thread because it was using it.

Sorry!

• Options
    Now that I'm a dead shark who is dead, I can maybe continue working on the 40k mini. It'd be my first phalla so I was wondering if there was anyone who would want to give me some tips via PM.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    1. Do a mini first
    2. Def. get someone to look at it

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Is there anyone who'd be willing to look at the balance of this thing?

• Options
    mi-go huntermi-go hunter Once again I'm back in the lab. Cleaning my knives, ready for stabs.Registered User regular
    Is there anyone who'd be willing to look at the balance of this thing?

I am relatively new to phalla so I can't be of too much help to you but... may I take a look? It might help me as well since I'm creating a phalla.

• Options
    When are you planning on running it?

Steam profile
  • Options
    kime wrote: Β»

August maybe? I have no idea yet. It's going to be based on the universe of DRRR, so that will be interesting. :)

• Options

Probably August. Going to be away for half of next week. Running a phalla from my phone would not be ideal :P

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Then I could look at it. August may be a busy time for me, may not Phalla much. Can't guarantee I'd be able to make sure its completely balanced, but an extra pair of eyes is always helpful.

Edit: That goes to both of you if you both want a lookover

kime on
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Damn. If you got RNGed into one of the roles I've made, you've love it so much.

• Options

Edit: That goes to both of you if you both want a lookover

Thanks, I'll turn to you for help :)

• Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote: Β»

Its fine for you to do battlegames without stat pages, as long as you A: Minimise the amount of information you need to send out to each player and B: Ensure that, if there's a high player count at the start of the game, it rapidly dwindles to a manageable level

SPECTRUM went smoothly, and it was pretty complicated on the mechanics side, but most things were rolled into a single calculation that needed to be worked out per player and sent out, making it manageable without stat pages (and coding stat pages would have been difficult for it to say the least)

• Options
    E.V.O. : Search for Phalla Chapter 1 has ended with a shark victory!

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    BandwagonBandwagon Registered User regular
    I currently do not have anyone lined up to run a main game next. If you are ready and interested, let me know. I'd like to get a game started soon, so we can try to have two main games before PAX rolls around.

This discussion has been closed.