As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Le [CHÂT]eau de l'Artiste

• Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Pious wrote: »
    Uncle Long wrote: »
    I've started to understand what has caused me to become so apathetic about work lately.

Spoilered for length and its minimal relevance to most people who don't associate with tiny islands in Alaska.
    I work at a small weekly newspaper. I'm the only reporter and I'm responsible for all the content, including stories and photos. There is one woman I work with who runs the office stuff (register, subscriptions, office supplies, classified ads) and there is another one who does layout. Now, I end up wasting a good portion of my week after working the usual 9-5 at meetings and at other events taking pictures and gathering stuff for the paper. Normally these are things I don't want to do in the first place. But, hey, it's an opportunity to do good work and, you know, build a portfolio for future work.

The problem is, the woman that does layout is terrible. Terrible at most everything. For instance, I had to shoot the High School Prom last weekend. She put in four good photos, which is great, but she chose the title, "From Grand March to Limbo, this year's prom was Beach-y." And I shudder when I type that. So, now that she's committed that abomination to print I'll never actually be able to use those photos as clippings in the future. So, basically, I wasted a good portion of my Saturday night, doing something I really didn't want to do, and now have something incredibly terrible and ridiculous to show for it.

She's been bothering me to put in a story for the last two weeks about Close Up, which is a program through the High School that gets some kids together to study the democratic process, and later take a trip to Washington DC. Her logic for that is that it will make the parents of those kids happy to see it in the paper. She's right there. However, she's willing to put that in the paper for those 5 students who were involved, but she's not willing to put in the photos I took of the Little League season opener, something the parents of those 100 kids would probably be interested in seeing. She does these things because her kids are involved in Close Up. And now all the time I spent photographing there has been wasted.

What's worse is that she's not even my boss, she stymies most attempts I make to improve this newspaper through her ham-handed layout job, she encourages people to ask me to do a story about an event they have coming up, instead of encouraging them to buy advertising, and she's generally very passive aggressive about getting her way. She actually wrote to my boss to get him to tell me to do the Close Up article, and because my boss is on another island I've yet to be able to make my case regarding her goofy priorities.

Basically, it makes me not care about my work, because she either shits it up, or tries to put other shit in its place. I don't really care about science fairs in the first place, but if I'm going to cover it it better not get a terrible title and become completely unusable and mildly embarrassing.

Anyway, I'm whining abloo abloo.

Just tell her the truth. I mean, tell her that she just keeps wasting your time, that all those photo's are being wasted, and your about to let 100 parents down, that her title for the newspaper was beach-y. If she's ballzy enough to fuck shit up, you got to ballzy enough to fuck back yo.

Word.

I'll reserve my spiteful comments until we actually get the thing back from our press. I've tried to go over this before, but she tends to just clam up when you criticize her, and then she'll e-mail my boss and say that I was being mean. That aside, we will have to have words.

She also crops my photos to fit the spaces she wants them in. Resizing is fine, and minor cropping is fine too, but a lot of times she really destroys any merit the photo had because it's easier for her to fit it in that way, rather than because it makes it a better or more relevant photo. Actually, I think laziness is the motivation behind a lot of the things she does.

I wish that the boss was here sometimes, just so he could see what I'm dealing with. I'm not about to play the whole e-mail game that she does. Though I'd like to shoot one off with thumbnails of all the shots that didn't make it into the paper and ask why the others were picked.

Meh, it's about time to find a new job anyway. Alright, I'm done whining.

(at least here. I'll go whine somewhere else for awhile)

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So I went job hunting today, and the only interview I had today was at this new restaurant called Cheddars. However, the manager that "interviewed" me was my old manager at the last place I worked at, and last I recall he wasn't the nicest guy to be around.

Oh Karma....

Godfather on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Did he atleast like you at the old place?

I mean... I jobs a job.... kinda.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I started out a little rocky, but by the time I left was on good terms with the General Manager, so I wasn't fired or anything. This guy's just a bit of a hardass, and since the ball's in his court now he can decide if he wants to hire me or not. At my last place it was up to the GM, and he was a real nice guy.

So I dunno. I guess i'm being a bit paranoid, but usually i'm right about these things when it comes to jobs.

Godfather on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I levelled today, wooohoooo

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh god you're not getting hopped up on RPG are you Loom?
    Just say no....to RPG.

Woohoo new art book through the post! I <3 you amazon.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Mustang wrote: »
    Oh god you're not getting hopped up on RPG are you Loom?
    Just say no....to RPG.

Woohoo new art book through the post! I <3 you amazon.

Nope i just like to say I levelled up when I learned a chunky amount of stuff in one day

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Are "posting from the toilet" posts old yet?

*grunt*

Because, guess what I'm doing.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Navigating the english channel in a paddle steamer?

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Oh god I can't even smell and I'm getting sick. These things sit in your gut for a week and they turn NASTY.

Jesus. Someone call a priest or something. There's something unholy in my butthole.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Okay you've successfully grossed me out, now can we talk about something that doesn't involve your butthole?

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    dude srsly my eyes and my nose are burning

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    hey guyz i'm gonna buy a drawing pad for my computer so I can draw stuff, what is one thats mildly cheap and relative to drawing padness that is mildly good

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    What's your definition of mildly cheap?

Also, I know I've said I would try any dish once, but i'd have to draw the line at:
    Deep fried spider
    0,,6611268,00.jpg
    Fried spiders ... a vendor sells deep-fried spiders at Skun, Kampong Cham province, east of Phnom Penh.

It costs around $2 for 10 deep-fried spiders, which come seasoned with garlic. The fist-sized arachnids are crunchy on the outside and taste like cold, gooey chicken on the inside

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    mildly cheap in terms of pricing for drawing pads mully said they vary from 100 dollars to 1,200 dollars, so uh, whats a good one in that range of price

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I saw new intuos at best buy for almost 200.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    i'llll TAKE IT!

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    For realsies?

I need to find me a Best Buy.

DeeLock on
  • Options
    RobchamRobcham The Rabbit King of your pantsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    get a Wacom brand Bamboo Fun

Robcham on
  • Options
    PiousPious Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    mildly cheap in terms of pricing for drawing pads mully said they vary from 100 dollars to 1,200 dollars, so uh, whats a good one in that range of price

Best buy. If there is one near by.

I bought the smallest one for like 60 bucks. It just comes with the instillation/pen/pad and thats it. No mouse.

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yup the Intuos 4 if you've got the scratch.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I've been wanting to start practicing on the computer sooner or later and that iscribble session finally pushed me to make plans for visiting best buy tommorow

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I'm still using my six year old graphire 2

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I currently use a Ball mouse

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Using a tablet instead of a mouse is sooooooo much nicer. Your hand and wrist are in a much more natural position, too.

Also, I'm surprised how many people don't know about the whole "open up the bottom of your mouse to clean it out and make it work better". Somebody I know (can't remember who, though...maybe one of my roommates? One of my friends?) had been periodically throwing out their ball-mouse after it stopped working 100%. When I told them about how you need to open up the bottom and clean it out, and clean off the two rollers inside, they told me they'd probably just continue to toss the mouse, rather than do that.

....what??
    I saw new intuos at best buy for almost 200.

I think that's where I got mine a few years back, for about that same price. May've been $215 or something.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Using a tablet instead of a mouse is sooooooo much nicer. Your hand and wrist are in a much more natural position, too.

Also, I'm surprised how many people don't know about the whole "open up the bottom of your mouse to clean it out and make it work better". Somebody I know (can't remember who, though...maybe one of my roommates? One of my friends?) had been periodically throwing out their ball-mouse after it stopped working 100%. When I told them about how you need to open up the bottom and clean it out, and clean off the two rollers inside, they told me they'd probably just continue to toss the mouse, rather than do that.

....what??

Is this guy one of the Retard Rodeo of Roommates?

Tam on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

wow, no no, I clean my ball mouse out instead of throw them away like a dumbass

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited May 2009
    Jesus Christ, somebody make this Blade Runner game real.

I think it would be a lot of fun to be a producer on a shit-hot looking Blade Runner game, because in the time between the game is announced and the first screenshots are released, you would get to say, "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe" to the press ad nauseum.

Blade Runner ending spoiler for philistines:

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I still whip out my copy of Westwood's Blade Runner every 12-24 months. It's the only game I've played regurlarly since the 90's.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    My brain is going blublublub right now.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    The One 52The One 52 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I still whip out my copy of Westwood's Blade Runner every 12-24 months. It's the only game I've played regurlarly since the 90's.
    That game... was awesome.

I wish I could find a copy of it somewhere. It was on like, what? 4 CDs?

The One 52 on
    bigbosssig.gif
    The internet does not qualify as grounds where you can act like a bouquet of dick.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yup, 4 CD's. Remember ebay is your friend, and also mine.

I'd still give my left nut for a new BR game though.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Blade Runner is like, my favorite movie ever.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    edited May 2009
    Yup, 4 CD's. Remember ebay is your friend, and also mine.

I'd still give my left nut for a new BR game though.
    Maybe I'll bid on it and offer it to my brother for our birthday (hooray for twins!).

The One 52 on
    bigbosssig.gif
    The internet does not qualify as grounds where you can act like a bouquet of dick.
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm still ashamed that I haven't managed to watch it through without falling asleep. :| I might give it another shot this weekend.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited May 2009
    I'm still ashamed that I haven't managed to watch it through without falling asleep. :|

Given your alias and the subject matter in a lot of your paintings, this statement is pretty astonishing.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Is it safe to dunk my glasses in water if they look all steamy from being dirty?

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Hey, Marvel VS Capcom 2 is coming out on Xbox Luve Arcade the day of my birthday. Why, thank you Capcom, that's a great gift! ^_^

The One 52 on
    bigbosssig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    @loom: just use a damp cloth.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited May 2009
    gasp, I never thought of that

Loomdun on
    splat
This discussion has been closed.