As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Rumour on]: New PSP without UMD drive to be announced this E3, coming this fall

• EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I wouldn't have so much of a problem with this new PSP not having a UMD drive if they didn't call it a PSP.

If the DSi took out the GBA slot that's fine, because it's not a GBA, it's a DS, it's primary function is to play DS games.

If the "PSP Go!" was called the "Sony Handheld Gaming System" or "SHGS" for short, well fuck, I'm not expecting it to play PSP games, so if it doesn't, it's not really a big deal then now is it?

Honestly, I wouldn't even mind if it was a PSP 2

The fact that it is still a revision of the PSP 1, playing the same games, and all, is where the issue is for me. I like BC, but it's not the end-all be-all. I want my system to be able to play the games designed for that system, though. I don't like games becoming incompatabile mid-generation (there are three DS games that this happened to, and honestly, that's enough that I haven't gone off to get a DSi yet)

Evander on
  • EpiphyteEpiphyte Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Evander wrote: »
    Mugaaz wrote: »
    I think anyone making firm predicitions about how a purely digitial distribution model is going to change consumer spending patterns are insanely egotistical.

I'm an economist who has spent a great deal of time working one-on-one with video game consumers.

As an economist I recognize, off the bat, that there could be other unforeseen factors to invalidate my predictions. That's how economics goes (it is a lot like meteorology in that sense.)

It's not egotistical of me to apply myself to this problem and share my solutions.
    You clerk a fucking Gamestop

Epiphyte on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I wouldn't have so much of a problem with this new PSP not having a UMD drive if they didn't call it a PSP.

If the DSi took out the GBA slot that's fine, because it's not a GBA, it's a DS, it's primary function is to play DS games.

If the "PSP Go!" was called the "Sony Handheld Gaming System" or "SHGS" for short, well fuck, I'm not expecting it to play PSP games, so if it doesn't, it's not really a big deal then now is it?

But it is going to play PSP games...

Kyougu on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    h8b1llg8ts wrote: »
    They haven't supported their old systems at all but make you keep buying a PS2. What makes you think that they are going to transfer you UMD games and movies to digital. Have they done anything to support PS2 games? Don't they make you buy your PS1 games over again to play it on the go?

Um, PS2 games are still being sold, the PS2 is still being made and sold, and it's still a platform developers put games on (even if they are just multiplatform games). It's still the console of choice for a lot of lower income families. Just because they don't support PS2 games the way you want them to (PS3 BC), it doesn't mean they have dropped the system.

-Loki- on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If the system has faster load times, better battery life, built in 8/16GBs of storage space, and a decent selection of downloadable games, those would be enough improvements for me to want one over a PSP 3000. That probably wouldn't be enough for most people to want to upgrade, but seeing as how existing PSPs can download games already, you probably wouldn't need to upgrade.

RainbowDespair on
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I have a psp-2000 with an 8gig memory stick, stamina battery and custom firmware. The thing lasts longer than my DSi does. The only thing that will really interest me is if the Go! has some neat new firmware functions that aren't possible on the old psp or has better scratch resistance, or an awesome screen or some other huge hardware improvement. (sliding ain't gonna cut it, I'd like to be able to suspend any game and play mp3s/movies then come back to the game.)

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »

But it is going to play PSP games...

I have MLB '09 and Patapon on UMD sitting over on my desk, to name a couple. Can I play them on this rumored new PSP?

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
    edited May 2009
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    I think they may do like they are doing now with Patapon 2 when it comes to advertising and appeasing the retailers. This is the same idea that Valve is using with Steam, and it seems to keep the retail chains content, mostly

No, you can bet EBstop has nightmares about an all-digital distribution game world. In fact, I'll bet my left ass cheek they just don't sleep at all when thinking about it.

Is that a bet you're ready to have collected on?

Gamestop has a serious taskforce making sure that they remain relevant when DigiDistro hits.
    They aren't Sony; they've been able to expand by reflecting the times, ratehr than insisting that things will go the way they planned.

And how the hell, exactly, are they going to do that? "Taskforce" my (left) ass cheek...they have exactly zero interest right now in my Steam, Wii VC & Wiiware, and XBLA digital downloads. Sounds like they're doing a bang-up job, there, Evander.

Actually, I'd love it if they succeeded somehow provided that there was a 3rd-party neutral way to re-sell my digital games. But I'll be fucked if I want my only option to be "Trade your digital games with us at Gamestop for gamestop funbucks!"

EDIT: btw, I actually find myself agreeing with many of your other points contra the "PSP Go!", but you still give me a chuckle when you get all "rah rah gamestop" on us.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    greeble wrote: »
    I have a psp-2000 with an 8gig memory stick, stamina battery and custom firmware. The thing lasts longer than my DSi does. The only thing that will really interest me is if the Go! has some neat new firmware functions that aren't possible on the old psp or has better scratch resistance, or an awesome screen or some other huge hardware improvement. (sliding ain't gonna cut it, I'd like to be able to suspend any game and play mp3s/movies then come back to the game.)

Wasn't the screen being a touch screen one of the things that the Go! was supposed have? One of the earliest 'leaks' said the new screen would be a touch screen. The rumor then was also dual analog sticks, which current rumors disagree with, but a touch screen would add something new without requiring all new control schemes for old games, or have a useless analog stick sitting there.

-Loki- on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

Any recommendations on battery?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited May 2009
    Epiphyte wrote: »
    Mugaaz wrote: »
    I think anyone making firm predicitions about how a purely digitial distribution model is going to change consumer spending patterns are insanely egotistical.

I'm an economist who has spent a great deal of time working one-on-one with video game consumers.

As an economist I recognize, off the bat, that there could be other unforeseen factors to invalidate my predictions. That's how economics goes (it is a lot like meteorology in that sense.)

It's not egotistical of me to apply myself to this problem and share my solutions.
    You clerk a fucking Gamestop

Do you have my resume infront of you?

If so, you'll note that the occassional weekend work at gamestop is not my ONLY current job.

Thanks.

Evander on
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Buy the official sony one. There are knock offs, but they have a high failure rate.
    Here is an excellent deal on one.

http://www.gamefunk.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=711719854104

I got it from cheap ass gamer
    http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221150

The only problem with that battery is that you need a different battery cover if you have a slim and it doesn't come with one. You can order them cheap off of deal extreme, (very reliable, have ordered off them multiple times) but they are based in hong kong so shipping is pretty damn slow. (2-3 weeks)l

Covers
    Black PSPs:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1566 $2.06
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12374 $3.20 (for 2)

White PSPs:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1567 $2.06
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12375 $3.03 (for 2)

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
    edited May 2009

Gamestop has a serious taskforce making sure that they remain relevant when DigiDistro hits.
    They aren't Sony; they've been able to expand by reflecting the times, ratehr than insisting that things will go the way they planned.

And how the hell, exactly, are they going to do that? "Taskforce" my (left) ass cheek...they have exactly zero interest right now in my Steam, Wii VC & Wiiware, and XBLA digital downloads. Sounds like they're doing a bang-up job, there, Evander.[/QUOTE]

It's obviously not their preffered scenario, but if you look around, you can see small things. They've been selling direct download PC games off of their website for a while, and various downloadable games are available in store, via voucher.

In fact, Gamestop could serve to solve to problem of how people without credit card will still be able to buy games in a world of DigiDistro.

The main point, though, is that whatever solution they come up with is not something that they are going to want to impliment whole hog until they have to. DigiDistro is going to hurt their business model, absolutely, but I wouldn't bet on them going under because of it; the guys running the company are good at what they do (look at how profitable they are), and they can deal with changes when they have to.

Evander on
    edited May 2009

I have the extended battery that they used to sell with the replacement battery cover (because it was bigger) and I haven't times anything, but it seems to be pretty good.

Evander on
    edited May 2009
    So, did anyone else pick up Patapon 2?

Evander on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Considering the Patapon thread hasn't even resurfaced, I'm guessing no.

Wonder what Sony will do with that data? Probably proceed a la Porkins, I guess.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited May 2009
    I caved, because the game is more important than the format, to me.

I'd definitely have less impulse buys with digital games, though.

I wish they'd waited until something I didn't care about for this test, though.

Evander on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

Buy the official sony one. There are knock offs, but they have a high failure rate.
    Here is an excellent deal on one.

http://www.gamefunk.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=711719854104

I got it from cheap ass gamer
    http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221150

The only problem with that battery is that you need a different battery cover if you have a slim and it doesn't come with one. You can order them cheap off of deal extreme, (very reliable, have ordered off them multiple times) but they are based in hong kong so shipping is pretty damn slow. (2-3 weeks)l

Covers
    Black PSPs:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1566 $2.06
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12374 $3.20 (for 2)

White PSPs:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1567 $2.06
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12375 $3.03 (for 2)

Oh shits $15 total for the package (Not including shipping)

That's not too bad, I might consider it. I found that my PSP lasts roughly 3 hours when I had a marathon of Patapon & Crash Bandicoot 2 the other night.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Who is giving up on what? A PSP 2 could easily keep the UMD drive, but have more powerful hardware, or more features, which would, in turn, draw more popularity.

And HOW IN THE HELL does the PSP Go! benefit existing users? All it does is REMOVE features.

What? You're suggesting that the PSP2 support the UMD? Sure, why not? I always wished the GC supported the N64 cartridges and I hope the XBox 720 supports HD-DVD.

How about the Gameboy Advance supporting original gameboy games, or the DS supporting gameboy advance games?

We're talking about handhelds, not home consoles. With handhelds folks only carry around one unit, rather than being able to leave their old systems still hooked up to the TV.

You've also COMPLETELY ignored how the Wii plays GCN games, or how the 360 plays SOME OXbox games, or how SOME PS3s play PS2 games. Pretty selective memory on your part.
    I can say the exact same thing about your memory. If you look at any system, they only support old formats if the technology isn't already out-dated or costly to include them. The GC's discs were just small DVD's and the Wii's hardware was based off the GC's, so it's insanely easy to implement GC backwards compatibility. But when you had formats that were outdated, you saw that Nintendo (and Sega) completely ditched their old formats.

The UMD is a dead format, end of discussion. The original idea behind it was that they'd push out UMD movies, they'd be successful and that would drive manufacturing prices down. It didn't work, the only reason they're continuing to manufacture them is for PSP games and I'd bet they're relatively expensive when compared to other formats. To add to this, they suck up battery life like nothing else, which is another one of the PSP's biggest faults.
    Offering consumers something that they can't get elsewhere isn't arrogant if they WANT it.

If Sony's goal is honestly still to outsell the DS, then they should just pack it in right now, they've got no chance.

The smart thing to do is to go for the portion of the market that the DS doesn't satisfy. In this case, that means adding a bit of power to the system, which was the PSP's distinction from the get-go.

:| The PSP is NOT doing well at the moment, so it's quite obvious that consumers DON'T WANT really powerful hardware. Not to mention a point that I brought up before, which is that Sony can't afford to put out powerful hardware at a loss anymore. It's just not a solid business model.
    So if I got a PSP Go! I'd have to rebuy all of my games?
    You have a PSP at the moment, do you not? Only if you decided to upgrade to the new PSP. Otherwise, you'll be perfectly fine with your old PSP and will still be able to buy new downloadable games onto it (though I still doubt they'll ditch retail releases instantly).

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    edited May 2009
    :| The PSP is NOT doing well at the moment, so it's quite obvious that consumers DON'T WANT really powerful hardware. Not to mention a point that I brought up before, which is that Sony can't afford to put out powerful hardware at a loss anymore. It's just not a solid business model.

It's finally outselling the DS in Japan. Honestly I'd say people don't really about the hardware so long as there's good games to play on it and the hardware itself isn't prohibitively expensive. Sine they have made a huge push this year for new, good games on the system, the real issue is if people will take to downloadable games or not.

-Loki- on
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Honestly I'd say people don't really about the hardware so long as there's good games to play on it and the hardware itself isn't prohibitively expensive.

Exactly, which is why I'm confused as to why they think they need another model out. They even managed to make a seemingly unhackable version, so that worry was past.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Vegan wrote: »
    Exactly, which is why I'm confused as to why they think they need another model out. They even managed to make a seemingly unhackable version, so that worry was past.

Sometimes it is better start from completely clean slate. With proper marketing and distancing from earlier models, Sony might have solid hit here. PSP has unfortunate fame as a console that "doesn't have any games". If rumours about having 100 PSP titles available online are true, new users will be amazed how many excellent quality games his new console has right from the start. This alone will generate lot of goodwill. The big question is that will Sony succeed marketing new model?

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    elkatas wrote: »
    The big question is that will Sony succeed marketing new model?

Will Sony succeed in conveying to parents that they can no longer drop little Timmy off at Gamestop while they go shopping elsewhere, because there won't actually be any physical games to purchase?

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    ^That is exactly what I was thinking immediately when this announcement was made.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Maybe they'll give the stores kisok systems that you can use to download the games from, when you punch in your activation key? It's make it easier for those without wireless internet to get the games, and maybe lessen the DL time for those who do

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The big question is that will Sony succeed marketing new model?

Will Sony succeed in conveying to parents that they can no longer drop little Timmy off at Gamestop while they go shopping elsewhere, because there won't actually be any physical games to purchase?

I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at. Sony have to address irresponsible parenting?

In any case, odds are that there'll still be boxes on shelves. Maybe they'll just contain memory sticks instead, or even just a code. There's also likely to be the ability to purchase vouchers for cash so that kids can buy their games online. For all we know they could be planning a kiosk system like Elliotw2 said, maybe bring your memory to the store, buy your game and download it from a terminal.

I actually think it would be a good idea to sell their games on the flash memory sticks. It'd cost more than a direct download, but would allow everyone access. It would also ease them into the idea that the content doesn't have to be tied to the disc itself.

Right now, we don't really know much about how this is going to work, assuming the rumours are true to begin with. I like the idea of a disc-less PSP, the UMD was useless, took up space and drains the battery.

subedii on
    edited May 2009
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    Maybe they'll give the stores kisok systems that you can use to download the games from, when you punch in your activation key? It's make it easier for those without wireless internet to get the games, and maybe lessen the DL time for those who do

And maybe pigs will fly out my ass.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
    edited May 2009
    If you look at any system, they only support old formats if the technology isn't already out-dated or costly to include them.

Right, just like how the DS had a GBA slot.

seriously, man. You're trying to rewrite reality in order to prove your points. That's the OPPOSITE of who to come to a conslusion.

Evander on
  • JishianJishian ◥▶◀◤ Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I guess that's one way to get rid of the second-hand market.

Jishian on
    edited May 2009

Sometimes it is better start from completely clean slate. With proper marketing and distancing from earlier models, Sony might have solid hit here. PSP has unfortunate fame as a console that "doesn't have any games". If rumours about having 100 PSP titles available online are true, new users will be amazed how many excellent quality games his new console has right from the start. This alone will generate lot of goodwill. The big question is that will Sony succeed marketing new model?

If they want to start from a clean slate, then they should make this the PSP2, or better yet, make it an entirely new name all together.

Evander on
    edited May 2009
    If you look at any system, they only support old formats if the technology isn't already out-dated or costly to include them.

seriously, man. You're trying to rewrite reality in order to prove your points. That's the OPPOSITE of who to come to a conslusion.

I'm not trying to rewrite reality, you just can't read. GBA ports have no moving parts within it and would've been dirt cheap to produce in 2004. UMD drives have moving parts, take up a lot of space, are more expensive, easy to break and drain the battery incredibly quickly.

At the time it would've seemed like a good idea but in hindsight, putting a disc drive on a handheld system was bloody stupid.

Unco-ordinated on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    better yet, make it an entirely new name all together.

Well, if rumors are to be believed, while it may not be an entirely new PSP, the rumors suggest that they're going with the name "PSP Go!" or something.

slash000 on
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The point of optical storage is that you get larger storage space for less money. The solid state equivalent would be far more expensive. There is no reason why they couldn't do what the Xbox 360 does an allow full installs. That would deal with the battery issue.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
    edited May 2009

If they want to start from a clean slate, then they should make this the PSP2, or better yet, make it an entirely new name all together.

Well, if it has a touch screen as early rumours suggested, it could very well be marketted as a PSP 2 - that alone would make it very different ot the PSP. Just because it doesn't have a '2' next to the name, doesn't mean they can't market it as a new console with backwards compatibility. I mean, the Wii isn't called a Gamecube 2.

-Loki- on
    edited May 2009

I'm not trying to rewrite reality, you just can't read. GBA ports have no moving parts within it and would've been dirt cheap to produce in 2004. UMD drives have moving parts, take up a lot of space, are more expensive, easy to break and drain the battery incredibly quickly.

At the time it would've seemed like a good idea but in hindsight, putting a disc drive on a handheld system was bloody stupid.

You keep coming up with a new excuse every time. The only reading problem I have is with reading your mind.

Old technology is always cheaper to produce, so the added cost isn't enough to make such a big deal.

Furthermore, in the case of the PSP, they wouldn't be removing a legacy input, but rather, removing the ONLY physical input. Even though you might personally shit yourself in excitement at the prospect of a platform with only digital games, the masses simply aren't ready, and it will wreak havok on the market itself, because as much as publishers hate to admit it, the used game market supports the new game market. Without used games, the new game market would collapse, and revert to just being a niche hobby.

Evander on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It's finally outselling the DS in Japan.

I'm going to dispute this.

PSP is not outselling DS in Japan. It's outselling DSi but not DSi + DSl. Observe:

Numbers are
    PSP - # of psp sold
    Nintendo DSi - #DSi's sold + #DSL's sold = total

May 8
    # PSP - 49,557
    # Nintendo DSi - 49,133 + 7,540 = 56,673

April 30
    # PSP - 41,187
    # Nintendo DSi - 37,495 + 6,374 = 43,869

April 23
    # PSP - 40,065
    # Nintendo DSi - 38,287 + 6,438 = 44,725

April 17
    # PSP - 40,886
    # DSi - 40,673 + 6,869 = 47541

April 9
    # Nintendo DSi - 53,680 + 8,729 = 62,409
    # PSP - 48,118

April 2
    # Nintendo DSi - 57,401 + 8,408 = 65,809
    # PSP - 54,148

March 26
    # Nintendo DSi - 71,233 + 8,948 = 80,181
    # PSP - 65,765

March 19
    PSP - 43,463 (musou)
    Nintendo DSi - 27,564 + 11,571 = 39135

Mar 12
    PSP - 59,568 (Shin Sangoku Musou released)
    Nintendo DSi - 32,102 + 11,240 = 43342

Mar 5
    # Nintendo DSi - 35,827 + 11,774 = 47601
    # PSP - 35,588

Feb 26
    # Nintendo DSi - 41,839 + 9,975 = 51814
    # PSP - 29,552

feb 20
    Nintendo DSi - 53,483 + 14,810 = 68293
    PSP - 34,256

Feb 13
    # Nintendo DSi - 49,529+ 12,484 = 62013
    # PSP - 34,969

Feb 6
    # Nintendo DSi - 55,613 + 15,147 = 70760
    # PSP - 44,135

Jan 30
    # Nintendo DSi - 51,618 + 13,686 = 65304
    # PSP - 38,280

Jan 22
    Nintendo DSi - 62,525 + 18,809 = 81334
    PSP 42,559

Jan 15
    # Nintendo DSi - 78,201 + 23,429 = 101630
    # PSP - 60,495

Jan 9
    Nintendo DSi - 182,518 + 48,160 = 230678
    • PSP - 157,088

Jan 7
    Nintendo DSi - 188,697 + 56,453 = 245150
    PSP - 118,765

Only two weeks did PSP outsell NDS in Japan this whole year, and even then it took the release of a Musou game to do it. Which usually pushes a lot of japanese hardware.

YTD the DS has 1,508,261 sold in Japan. The PSP has sold 1,038,444 YTD in Japan.

LTD for NDS in Japan is roughly 26 million, and LTD for PSP in Japan is roughly 12 million.

So.......

You are wrong.

On the subject, the NDS is pretty much dominating handheld sales in every region, especially in north america, in which sales are so astronomical in their DS sales it makes Japanese sales look like chump change by comparison.

On the topic of software, PSP software is doing horribly, horribly bad in every region except Japan, in which it has only been doing "okay" as of a month or two since hardware ticked up. The overall problem of PSP software is much worse, when considering how many units are out there in the install base that aren't being sold software to. Sony has even openly admitted the problem of horrible software sales and even attributes a lot of it to piracy. They also openly admit that third party support has been meager and is dropping off, and have said that they "need to do something" about it or developers will completely abandon the system. Hey, it's their words, not mine.

slash000 on
    edited May 2009

Well, if it has a touch screen as early rumours suggested, it could very well be marketted as a PSP 2 - that alone would make it very different ot the PSP. Just because it doesn't have a '2' next to the name, doesn't mean they can't market it as a new console with backwards compatibility. I mean, the Wii isn't called a Gamecube 2.

The first time this was rumored, it was called teh PSP 4000, this time around it is being called the PSP Go!, and the rumors are specific to state that the controls are remaining the same, and the power of the actual device will also stay the same.

If we're going to assume the rumor to be true, for the purpose of discussion, then we need to take all of it, or at least be specific about which parts we are taking and which we aren't. We can't really all be on the same page here otherwise.

Evander on
    edited May 2009
    You keep coming up with a new excuse every time. The only reading problem I have is with reading your mind.

Old technology is always cheaper to produce, so the added cost isn't enough to make such a big deal.

Furthermore, in the case of the PSP, they wouldn't be removing a legacy input, but rather, removing the ONLY physical input. Even though you might personally shit yourself in excitement at the prospect of a platform with only digital games, the masses simply aren't ready, and it will wreak havok on the market itself, because as much as publishers hate to admit it, the used game market supports the new game market. Without used games, the new game market would collapse, and revert to just being a niche hobby.

Stop getting so worked up about this, christ. It wasn't an excuse in the first place, let alone new (I even bolded the part I had previously talked about).

Old technology or not, when you've got factories manufacturing them and the demand is pretty low, it can get expensive. Their original plan was that the demand would be pretty high, that it'd become a mass-market portable media format and that didn't work out. Now the PSP is the only system that has it and even that isn't selling terribly well.

I don't really buy the argument that the used game market is an integral part of the industry either. Sure, Gamestop have tried to make it one, since that's where they make most of their money but I haven't seen any proof that that's how the majority of games justify their purchases. Nor do I think that the majority of games are bought at Gamestop (though I'll openly admit that that's just an assumption, I don't live in the US).

The facts are that Steam has been doing really well and the iPhone has been doing better, so there's precedent for successful digital systems. Not that I think Sony are ditching retail entirely, I think it's fairly obvious they're not going to go that far (and have been saying that for a while, if you've been reading my posts).

All that said, both of our arguments are utterly pointless since we're just acting off rumour (which themselves seem to contradict each other at every second turn). Once Sony actually announce the thing, probably in 3 weeks, then we can argue and you can cry about how much of an asshole Sony is for totally breaking up with UMD.

Unco-ordinated on
    edited May 2009

The first time this was rumored, it was called teh PSP 4000, this time around it is being called the PSP Go!, and the rumors are specific to state that the controls are remaining the same, and the power of the actual device will also stay the same.

If we're going to assume the rumor to be true, for the purpose of discussion, then we need to take all of it, or at least be specific about which parts we are taking and which we aren't. We can't really all be on the same page here otherwise.

Adding a touch screen doesn't change the controls to be detrimental to old games at all - it simply adds a new control method. The old single analog, d-pad, face buttons, 2 shoulder buttons scheme is still there. And a touch screen. So it's not like it can't be done. I've haven't read anything about anyone refuting a touch screen - everyone is going off a single rumor, not all of the rumors, so until official announcements are made, a touch screen being part of the new PSP is as legitimate as anything else being discussed.

And if there is a touch screen, marketting it as a new PSP with backwards compatibility is quite possible, just like Nintendo did with the Wii. Though that assumes that Sonys marketing department has learned from their mistakes.

-Loki- on
    edited May 2009

Stop getting so worked up about this, christ. It wasn't an excuse in the first place, let alone new (I even bolded the part I had previously talked about).

Old technology or not, when you've got factories manufacturing them and the demand is pretty low, it can get expensive. Their original plan was that the demand would be pretty high, that it'd become a mass-market portable media format and that didn't work out. Now the PSP is the only system that has it and even that isn't selling terribly well.

I don't really buy the argument that the used game market is an integral part of the industry either. Sure, Gamestop have tried to make it one, since that's where they make most of their money but I haven't seen any proof that that's how the majority of games justify their purchases. Nor do I think that the majority of games are bought at Gamestop (though I'll openly admit that that's just an assumption, I don't live in the US).

The facts are that Steam has been doing really well and the iPhone has been doing better, so there's precedent for successful digital systems. Not that I think Sony are ditching retail entirely, I think it's fairly obvious they're not going to go that far (and have been saying that for a while, if you've been reading my posts).

All that said, both of our arguments are utterly pointless since we're just acting off rumour (which themselves seem to contradict each other at every second turn). Once Sony actually announce the thing, probably in 3 weeks, then we can argue and you can cry about how much of an asshole Sony is for totally breaking up with UMD.

The PSP being the only system to have a UMD drive is an absurb point, consisidering how many different systems have used proprietary media types over the years. The DS isn't successful because of how every other device in your life has a DS cartridge slot.

As for the rest, the success of Steam IS as a niche hobbyist enterprise. Steam is actually a perfect example, because it doesn't draw in the vast external market, but rather, it just keeps a a vocal minority happy.

And the iPhone app store is only popular because it is on the iPhone. Were it on any other device, no one would care. You're confusing cause and effect there.

The fact is, the economics of it all back up the fact that the video game market is dependant on used sales, just like the car market. Yes, the market COULD exist without used sales, but it would be extremely scaled back. The extra money going towards used games right now would leave the market entirely, and go elsewhere, not go directly to the pockets of developers as some people like to pretend.

Evander on