Options

Ultimate Sega Genesis Collection coming to 360/PS3 for $30 -has Shining & St of Rage

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    Woooo. I'm up to all the trophies except the one for unlocking Phantasy Star. And..as a consequence, the Unlock Everything and the Play All Games trophies.

Boo totp.

Do you have a guitar? A guitar also works.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I don't. I do, however, have a nephew with a PS3. Who will love playing this. So it's just the waiting game, now.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Bamelin wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Rex Dart wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Good review, and I agree pretty much with everything you put in there.

On another note, I finally beat MBM last night. It was awesome and I never have to play that horrible excuse for a game again. :D
    Okay, I know MBM is a hard game. I also know that the single-player mode features an over abundance of puns. I can also understand if you don't like puzzle games.

But seriously, MBM is just a re-skinned Puyo Puyo. And Puyo Puyo is (I think) the best "things falling from the sky" puzzle game of all time. That's a controversial statement, I know, but I can't imagine how anyone could justify calling MBM a "horrible excuse for a game." My friends and I would fight each others for hours in that game, and it was awesome every time.

But maybe you just don't like puzzle games? In that case, never mind.

I love puzzle games, and I like Puyo Puyo...but for some reason I have always hated MBM. It sounds strange and there is no way I can ever explain it in a way it'll make sense, but it's just the way it is. :P

Maybe it has something to do with my hate of that particular Sonic cartoon. Hmmm....

The main problem with MBM is that it's an older version of Puyo Puyo ... as in a version that doesn't let you cancle out enemy combo's when you release your own. This takes alot of the strategic depth out of the game turning it into "whoever releases the most devestating combo first wins".

With that said it's still alot of fun just not as good as later Puyo releases.
    Really? I seem to remember being able to reduce the amount of hard puyo / rocks in my opponent's combo by releasing my own at the same time. But I guess I could be crazy.

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Okay, so I remembered that I have a USB PC controller, and now have Phantasy Star.

That's great and all, but for some reason, after playing all the games, it did not give me the "You played all the games"You trophy. is there a given amount of time you have to play each game or something? Because I won't lie; the RPGs have not seen a lot of play.

Darth_Mogs on
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    omg what

OMG WHAT

OMG WHAT

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    What?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    liquidloganliquidlogan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The fact that he used a USB controller on his PS3?

liquidlogan on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Well

If you find that exciting, I guess.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The madcatz SFIV pad is your best bet. You get this wonderful sense of nostalgia using a Sega-modded controller on these games.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I just used an old Logitech controller that I got for cheap a while back. It doesn't have analog sticks, so it's not too useful for PS3, but it worked for this.

And I will say that the only reason the RPGs haven't seen a lot of play is because I don't have that kind of time

EDIT: Okay, apparently it's an issue with how the game saves or something. Going through and opening/closing all the games did it. WOO 2ND PLATINUM!

Darth_Mogs on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I received my review copy of Sonic and the Black Knight.

Hey....it doesn't suck.

Well not yet, anyway.

• Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Got this in the mail today, don't know how much time I'll have for all the games but I had to at least try a few. Comix Zone is every bit as awesome as I remember it. Short, Hard, Brilliant.

JAEF on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I stand corrected: A friend and I played Streets of Rage 3, and when I set it to ABC mode it let me assign buttons to XYZ as well.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Wait, so it does support the six button layout?

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I jumped right into Shining Force 2 (still awesome), and will probably want to play one of the Phantasy Stars next. Which is the best one?

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    4 is pretty much the best one, in terms of story and playability. The thing is, once you've played 4, 2 and 3 are a lot more painful to get through. They just seem so slow in comparison.

Etiowsa on
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'll go with 4, I don't really have any plans to play through more than one of them. It's just a series I never really got around to playing back in ye olden times.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I still really really really love the first Phantasy Star, but I pull back from recommending it because I'm afraid nostalgia colors my view. Objectively the story IS pretty damn thin compared to what we now expect from RPGs, and the grinding is, well, a grind.

Still, I liked the exploration, the graphics still rock (in combat), and the dungeons are still cool.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm working through Phantasy Star right now....it is bloody difficult at spots. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The last dungeon is freakin' BRUTAL.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wait, so it does support the six button layout?

Yes, since you can set it to six buttons for Comix Zone too.

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    EmonkEmonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Guys, guys...this is exciting...

I just realized this is the perfect game to spend my extra Goozex points on!

Emonk on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So, I'm just slightly miffed at this collection. Specifically, Sonic 2.

For whatever reason, it seems you can't enter the codes for the stage select, and ergo not the debug or Super Sonic codes, as they've reduced the three jump buttons to one, and it's not the one which needs to be held to access the stage select.

And stupid GameFAQs still lists the codes as though they work, and assuming they do work somehow, whoever posted them didn't even change the damn write-ups to account for a different console-- no C button on the Xbox 360 that I can see.

So, does anyone know if there's a way to make it work? I had a lot of fun with those modes back in the day, and it would suck to have them gone. Plus, I lack the time, the patience, the demeanor, and most of all, the skill to get all those damn Chaos Emeralds. And sometimes, you just want to cut loose, you know?

...man, it's amazing how it seems SEGA has driven Sonic's games so far into the ground that even his good old games are sucking retroactively (see: This instance; Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis for GBA). It takes real skill to turn back time and then stab the clock with its own hands.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    So, I'm just slightly miffed at this collection. Specifically, Sonic 2.

For whatever reason, it seems you can't enter the codes for the stage select, and ergo not the debug or Super Sonic codes, as they've reduced the three jump buttons to one, and it's not the one which needs to be held to access the stage select.

And stupid GameFAQs still lists the codes as though they work, and assuming they do work somehow, whoever posted them didn't even change the damn write-ups to account for a different console-- no C button on the Xbox 360 that I can see.

So, does anyone know if there's a way to make it work? I had a lot of fun with those modes back in the day, and it would suck to have them gone. Plus, I lack the time, the patience, the demeanor, and most of all, the skill to get all those damn Chaos Emeralds. And sometimes, you just want to cut loose, you know?

...man, it's amazing how it seems SEGA has driven Sonic's games so far into the ground that even his good old games are sucking retroactively (see: This instance; Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis for GBA). It takes real skill to turn back time and then stab the clock with its own hands.

Put the controller into ABC mode.

Darth_Mogs on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Shoegaze99 wrote: »
    The last dungeon of Phantasy Star is like taking on a tank with a spoon.

Edited for accuracy

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Didn't know there were different modes. I'll give that a shot.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I cleared Phantasy Star's final dungeon on the GBA version without a map.

In short, man up. :P

Phantasy Star 2, now that's difficult.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I cleared Phantasy Star's final dungeon on the GBA version without a map.

In short, man up. :P

Phantasy Star 2, now that's difficult.

Pfft....

I once did a solo playthrough of PS2. I only used Rolf.

(I'm a sad, sad individual who has beaten PS2 over 15 times...)

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Thanks for the tip, Darth; without the option at the front of the game, I didn't know you could change controls that way. Guess it's on a game-by-game basis?

Now to see if any of these Sonic 3/Sonic & Knuckles codes work, since they aren't locked on...

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    No problem. I nearly tore my hair out over the same thing for E-SWAT, which I'm almost positive that the code listed for it doesn't work. Vectorman 2, however, does. That's about the extent of what I know.

Darth_Mogs on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Damn GameFAQs. These codes don't seem to work, or if they do, they don't really give you a good idea of when to enter them...

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    oh shit how did I miss this game

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Do all of these games have achievements? Any of them?

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    JelloblimpJelloblimp Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    29 of the 34 achievements are for 16-bit games: list from achieve360points.com. Some are really easy, others take some skill/patience.

Jelloblimp on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Jelloblimp wrote: »
    29 of the 34 achievements are for 16-bit games: list from achieve360points.com. Some are really easy, others take some skill/patience.

Cool, thanks. I would have checked the site but it's blocked here.

I wonder why the first Phantasy Star isn't included on this set?

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Jelloblimp wrote: »

Cool, thanks. I would have checked the site but it's blocked here.

I wonder why the first Phantasy Star isn't included on this set?

Info in the OP of this thread lists all achievements, as well as unlockable games (which includes the original Phantasy Star).

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    SEGA Vintage Collection 2 (Available Summer 2009 on XBLA & PSN)
    This Summer, you will be able to individually download 7 classics from SEGA's archive!

New Features Include:

Re-worked for High-Definition
    Online Leaderboards
    Network Play (Excludes Phantasy Star II, Shinobi, Comix Zone)

Gunstar Heroes (XBLA & PSN) – The classic side scrolling shooter from the SEGA Genesis returns to captivate fans new and old with its non-stop action and cooperative play.

Altered Beast (XBLA) – "Rise from your Grave" as the original Genesis launch game is reborn and comes to a new generation of gamers. Battle hordes of undead warriors and monsters as you return to battle in order to save Zeus' daughter Athena.

Shinobi (arcade) (XBLA) – Battle your way through the "Ring of Five" as you save hostages with your ninja abilities.

Comix Zone (XBLA) – The game features an innovative art style that transports players directly into the panels of a comic as they fight their way to save a world from destruction as Sketch Turner. Everything from the speech bubble text, level design, and the revolutionary graphics scream COMIX!

Phantasy Star 2 (XBLA) – SEGA's classic RPG which expanded on the success of the first with its epic storyline and battle system.

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (XBLA) – The game that introduced Knuckles the Echidna comes to a new generation of gamers as Sonic explores Angel Island and discovers the true power of the Master Emerald. Speed through each level at lightning speeds as either Sonic or Tails as you foil Dr. Eggman’s in his new Death Egg station.

And Coming late Summer 2009!

Sonic and Knuckles (XBLA) – Picking up where Sonic the Hedgehog 3 left off, players can now play as Knuckles for the first time. In addition, if players already have Sonic the Hedgehog 3 or Sonic 2 in their library, they will be able to access the lock-on bonus content for each game for the very first time since the days of the SEGA GENESIS! This allows for gamers to play Sonic 2 & 3 as Knuckles!

O-O-O-ONLINE GUNSTAR HEROES!?

GAAAAAAH wkjehfkjsehkjsdahgjkasdhdsgh

• Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The netcode is likely to be just as shitty as Backbone's other Genesis XBLA ports, so I'm pretty confident in saying that "online co-op" is a non-factor.

If you want the best value for your dollar wrt Gunstar, pick up the JPS2 mini-compilation. If that's not an option, get the VC version. The XBLA/PSN port would suffice if that's your only option, though.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    Conan-sanConan-san Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    IN other words, because Backbone Studios are shit, prepare to poneyup at least 1600 MSP for Online Gunstar Heros and the Correct version of Sonic 3, both of which should have been in the ultimate collection.

Conan-san on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Conan-san wrote: »
    IN other words, because Backbone Studios are shit, prepare to poneyup at least 1600 MSP for Online Gunstar Heros and the Correct version of Sonic 3, both of which should have been in the ultimate collection.

What was incorrect about the ultimate collection one?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/