As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Anime Thread] S2: Haruhi Strikes Back

• Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It was bad. Leeron had charm as he was before.

Now with this voice he's just a painful-to-listen-to blatant stereotype.

No, it's bad. So bad.

The Japanese voices fit so much better.

Especially for Kamina and Viral.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    What the hell was the thinking?

"This character is meant to be effeminate. He needs a lisp, of course, or no one will know!"

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    bisondollarsbisondollars Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Episode 7 of Shin Mazinger really made up for the pointless recap crap they pulled at the start of #6. It was a very good episode. Kouji is still the worst character in his own show though (along with the robot corps)... Grandpa, the Kurogane House and Detective Ankokuji are miles ahead in terms of awesomeness.

bisondollars on
  • Options
    JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

No, it's bad. So bad.

Considering that Kamina and Viral's actors are both practically legendary, it would be really hard to find any voices that match up favorably. It isn't really fair to knock the English dub for that.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    ToefooToefoo Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I didn't think Leeron was so bad...but after watching the show in Japanese, and then listening to the Kamina dub...yea, there's no contest there, it blows ass.

Toefoo on
    PSN: Soultics
    Weaboo List
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Jesuits wrote: »

No, it's bad. So bad.

Considering that Kamina and Viral's actors are both practically legendary, it would be really hard to find any voices that match up favorably. It isn't really fair to knock the English dub for that.

This put an imagine in my head: Japanese dub of The Godfather.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Leeron I thought was ok.

The problem with Kamina is that the dude that did the voice gave a performance which I don't think could be topped in any language. He has this infectious enthusiasm in his voice all the time.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Anyone with deeper voices would be nice for the parts.

Kamina specifically. He was pretty vehemently, ostensibly mad. Just fucking full force.

They translated "impassioned batshit crazy awesome" into "enthusiastic Brady Bunch big brother cheering on his little brother in a soccer match"

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    FCD wrote: »
    kdrudy wrote: »
    Anime has the nice side effect of having artsy people into it so you can get some good looking ones. The bad side effect of that, if they are fangirls they will be terrible or if they take their cosplaying too seriously they will be terrible. It can be difficult to find reasonable middle ground girls at cons because the other ones all make themselves stand out more.

Fangirls are easy to work with though. For example -
    Oh you like IchigoXChad ? I thought I was the only one who saw it! They are so totally in love but can't admit it because it's forbidden!

Why yes I would love to talk to you about this at your hotel room.

I'm guessing they'd be more into IchigoXUryu, or GrimmjowXUlquiorra if they're emos.

Eh. You ask them what they're into first then you can peice it together pretty quick.

Oh that scene where Uryu sews up Kon? I feel thats where he truly let his feelings for Ichigo bloom. The frills and lace were his desire to show his true forbidden feelings.

Also using forbidden alot is key.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    FCD wrote: »
    Anime has the nice side effect of having artsy people into it so you can get some good looking ones. The bad side effect of that, if they are fangirls they will be terrible or if they take their cosplaying too seriously they will be terrible. It can be difficult to find reasonable middle ground girls at cons because the other ones all make themselves stand out more.

Fangirls are easy to work with though. For example -
    Oh you like IchigoXChad ? I thought I was the only one who saw it! They are so totally in love but can't admit it because it's forbidden!

Why yes I would love to talk to you about this at your hotel room.

I'm guessing they'd be more into IchigoXUryu, or GrimmjowXUlquiorra if they're emos.

Eh. You ask them what they're into first then you can peice it together pretty quick.

Oh that scene where Uryu sews up Kon? I feel thats where he truly let his feelings for Ichigo bloom. The frills and lace were his desire to show his true forbidden feelings.

I can picture Riptor hiding near the Yaoi booth, trying to pick out which batshit fangirl he thinks he can persuade to leave with him :lol::winky:

Toefoo on
    Weaboo List
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Agh. Fate/Stay Night spoilers.
    So, when Kotomine tells us he touches the physical form of the Holy Grail pretty much every day. Was reading the LP of it, and something was mentioned. Illya is used as the physical Holy Grail, right? If so, D:

Also, for those of you reading Negima, the Ala Alba thing is getting a sequel, and something about Rakan's flashback getting animated. Maybe. This image seems to hint at that, I think.
    negima_251_10.jpg

Zandracon on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Kelor wrote: »
    Leeron I thought was ok.

We know I agree with you on Kamina.

But in regards to Leeron, I disagree.

They took all the coolness out of his voice. The lisp kills it. Why was that necessary? It's almost insulting.

Think of the time Leeron gets fed up with Gimmy and Darry. Gimi/Dari.

It's something to the effect of "Shut up now... or I will eat you."

It's just... why the hell the lisp?!

Steve did Spike. Using just Spikes cool, calm voice would have been perfect. Maybe a little lighter. A little more flippant/fun/flirtatious. The lisp was just... Facepalm worthy.

That's all.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

"I have 57 terabytes of fully animated slashfic, all fully tagged and archived."

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh that scene where Uryu sews up Kon?
    I liked the few parts where Uryu whips out a sewing kit and one of the combat themes start playing. It has all the exaggeration of taking a potato chip...and eating it, and the end result is hilarious.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Zandracon wrote: »
    Agh. Fate/Stay Night spoilers.
    So, when Kotomine tells us he touches the physical form of the Holy Grail pretty much every day. Was reading the LP of it, and something was mentioned. Illya is used as the physical Holy Grail, right? If so, D:
    Nah, nothing like that. IIRC since he's the administrator of the whole thing, he can basically make his own vessels for the grail.

setrajonas on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Kelor wrote: »
    Leeron I thought was ok.

We know I agree with you on Kamina.

But in regards to Leeron, I disagree.

They took all the coolness out of his voice. The lisp kills it. Why was that necessary? It's almost insulting.

Think of the time Leeron gets fed up with Gimmy and Darry. Gimi/Dari.

It's something to the effect of "Shut up now... or I will eat you."

It's just... why the hell the lisp?!

Steve did Spike. Using just Spikes cool, calm voice would have been perfect. Maybe a little lighter. A little more flippant/fun/flirtatious. The lisp was just... Facepalm worthy.

That's all.

They probably felt it went in hand with the generally easy going, informal tone of the show. I won't say nonserious, but a lot of the time, yes. I mean, it's not supposed to be serious any more than it's supposed to be rational!

I remember when they first introduced the Leeron character, it was pretty obvious what would happen in the dub. "This guy is totally going to have the TV sitcom gay lisp. I will stake my life on it." And he did. It doesn't help that Leeron is so radically different from the rest of them 'I will punch you in the face so hard your ancestors feel it' male cast. He's probably the only one who's literate before the time skip (Well, him and the Old Man, who can do anything).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Uh, the TTGL dubs are pretty good, you don't know what you're talking about.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    They probably felt it went in hand with the generally easy going, informal tone of the show. I won't say nonserious, but a lot of the time, yes. I mean, it's not supposed to be serious any more than it's supposed to be rational!

I remember when they first introduced the Leeron character, it was pretty obvious what would happen in the dub. "This guy is totally going to have the TV sitcom gay lisp. I will stake my life on it." And he did. It doesn't help that Leeron is so radically different from the rest of them 'I will punch you in the face so hard your ancestors feel it' male cast. He's probably the only one who's literate before the time skip (Well, him and the Old Man, who can do anything).

I always got the impression he was supposed to be a stereotype of a gay man. A western stereotype anyways.

Kelor on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Uh, the TTGL dubs are pretty good, you don't know what you're talking about.
    What kdrudy said. Kamina was grating in the first episode, but he got better. It's the kind of thing that grows on you. Nia's voice was spot on. It's one of the most accurate dub voices I've ever heard.

Steve Blum as Leeron? The guy did a fabulous job there! :)

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Leeron's character and voice were offensive in any language. I personally wouldn't really draw the line at a lisp.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    ITT: Subs vs. Dubs: The Eternal Debate.

Some people just don't like the dub, and some people do. I like Cowboy Bebop's dub 100000x more than the sub, same as Black Lagoon's now. People have preferences.

Anyways, to get back on track, I think I'm dropping Hastukoi Limited as my "random series to watch once caught up on the crazy good stuff" show. I had to wince through the incest episode, and I seriously have needed to take breaks every 3 mins during the swimming episode (ep 5). When I have to pause an anime multiple times for breaks, that's when I think it's time to cut 'er loose.

Toefoo on
    Weaboo List
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I love me some dubs.

But onto a different topic, One Piece:

I'm on the Wikipedia arc and I can already see where this is going.

Enel very obviously is made of lightning. Luffy is made of rubber. This should be a pretty easy fight in the end.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Toefoo wrote: »
    When I have to pause an anime multiple times for breaks, that's when I think it's time to cut 'er loose.

Oh man, I do this constantly, even with good shows. But a bad/embarrassing scene will take me forever to get through.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I love me some dubs.

Enel very obviously is made of lightning. Luffy is made of rubber. This should be a pretty easy fight in the end.

You'd be suprised.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I love me some dubs.

Enel has other ways to use his abilities. Not to mention his Mantra.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    He's made of RUBBER!

Obviously, being the villian of the arc and one of those nutcases with a ridiculous power and complete control over it he's not going to just roll over, but at least the fight should be less silly than Rubber vs. Sand or Rubber vs. Smoke.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    He's made of RUBBER!

Obviously, being the villian of the arc and one of those nutcases with a ridiculous power and complete control over it he's not going to just roll over, but at least the fight should be less silly than Rubber vs. Sand or Rubber vs. Smoke.

I assure you that you couldn't be more wrong.

That fight is the payoff for what is undoubtedly the worst one Peice arc ever.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    He's made of RUBBER!

When you see Enel crap bricks, you will crap bricks.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    He's made of RUBBER!

Eh, I enjoyed that arc more than Thriller Bark.

Though I suppose Thriller Bark does have some plot relevancy going for it.

Slicer on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    ITT: Subs vs. Dubs: The Eternal Debate.

Some people just don't like the dub, and some people do. I like Cowboy Bebop's dub 100000x more than the sub, same as Black Lagoon's now. People have preferences.

Well, of course, but I think the issue with TTGL can exist well outside of the issue. There are a few shows I prefer to watch dubbed (Last Exile, Gunsmith Cats, and Cowboy Beop come to mind--Beau Billingslea is always entertaining, even if he's narrating some History Channel special on the history of washing machines). And there are a few shows I enjoy subbed--though compared to the lot I hang out with, I'm overly tolerant of dubs.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    He's made of RUBBER!

It's not the worst. It's just too long, and has no impact on the greater picture despite how long it was, simply because of the whole "removed from the outside world" thing.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    blkmageblkmage Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Also, for those of you reading Negima, the Ala Alba thing is getting a sequel, and something about Rakan's flashback getting animated. Maybe. This image seems to hint at that, I think.
    negima_251_10.jpg

Yeah, it was announced a while ago, although before, they said it'd land sometime in summer. The OVA is supposed to be four episodes and covers the magic country arc. Of course, that means it's unlikely that we'll see the entire thing, so it's a matter of what parts the OVA manages to include. I mean, the Ala Alba stuff was alright, but it wasn't really anything awesome.

blkmage on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Jragghen wrote: »
    He's made of RUBBER!

It's not the worst. It's just too long, and has no impact on the greater picture despite how long it was, simply because of the whole "removed from the outside world" thing.

What would you deem the worst? Because honestly even the Davyback fight was funny beyond comprehension despite being "filler"

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    When I have to pause an anime multiple times for breaks, that's when I think it's time to cut 'er loose.

Oh man, I do this constantly, even with good shows. But a bad/embarrassing scene will take me forever to get through.

Yea I do that sometimes with a good show, but I mean when I have to pause (this is no exaggeration) 15+ times in one 30 minute episode, I gotta call foul.
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Well, of course, but I think the issue with TTGL can exist well outside of the issue. There are a few shows I prefer to watch dubbed (Last Exile, Gunsmith Cats, and Cowboy Beop come to mind--Beau Billingslea is always entertaining, even if he's narrating some History Channel special on the history of washing machines). And there are a few shows I enjoy subbed--though compared to the lot I hang out with, I'm overly tolerant of dubs.

Yea, I don't ever mind which version a person prefers, until the discussion boils down to: "Your opinion is terrible because you like/dislike the sub/dub."

I do share your love of Beau Billingslea, he's like Morgan Freeman where he could be talking about the larval stage of some insect for 30 mins and I would be on the edge of my seat hanging on every word.

Toefoo on
    Weaboo List
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Jragghen wrote: »
    He's made of RUBBER!

What would you deem the worst? Because honestly even the Davyback fight was funny beyond comprehension despite being "filler"

Davy Back annoyed the hell out of me aside from the last fight, particularly in the anime with how they dragged it out.

I would certainly agree that Skypia was one of the weaker ones, and its weakness is more noticeable because of its length and lack of overall relevance, but I found Drum Island, Davy Back, and Little Garden to be less entertaining in and of themselves. Each one of them had small items which were entertaining, but taken as a whole? Yeah, those three I'd say are weaker.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    My real problem with this arc so far besides being hella long is that they've started creeping up to 5 minutes before the new episode actually starts.

It is however saving me loads of time by skipping tons of stuff off of both ends, making the viewing go much faster.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    blkmage wrote: »
    negima_251_10.jpg

Yeah, it was announced a while ago, although before, they said it'd land sometime in summer. The OVA is supposed to be four episodes and covers the magic country arc. Of course, that means it's unlikely that we'll see the entire thing, so it's a matter of what parts the OVA manages to include. I mean, the Ala Alba stuff was alright, but it wasn't really anything awesome.

The problem is that if it's Rakan's flashback currently none of the Negima series could be in continuity with it.

I wish they'd just do a straightforward manga adaption. I need some animated Kotaro awesomeness.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    My real problem with this arc so far besides being hella long is that they've started creeping up to 5 minutes before the new episode actually starts.

It is however saving me loads of time by skipping tons of stuff off of both ends, making the viewing go much faster.

Get used to it. It's the standard from there on in. Eneis Lobby is fantastic in the manga and I found the anime annoying to watch because of it. :? It's also really, really blatant in Thriller Bark.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    negima_251_10.jpg

As long as I get my animated Rakan fight, I will be happy. That was easily my favorite fight sequence in any manga ever.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    negima_251_10.jpg

As long as I get my animated Rakan fight, I will be happy. That was easily my favorite fight sequence in any manga ever.

That was really good. I'm looking forward to the final Fate/Negi fight though.

King Riptor on