As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How is that even food?

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Exactly. I figure if there's real fruit in there it at least gets to call itself juice at a minimum threshold (I guess the FDA counts 10% or something?). But I was talking about powdered... stuff... that is nothing but a cocktail of different chemicals and sugars.

The kind of stuff that rots your teeth as soon as it hits them.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    And yet an entire generation grew up on it and is still ok.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    had a lot of dental work done and the most obese in history, but, you know,

ok

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    And yet an entire generation grew up on it and is still ok.

which generation is that? If it's X, side effects could include not knowing what "ironic" means.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I keep seeing these frozen 'cans' of juice in the freezer section of grocery stores. What are they? You mix them with water and they're magically juice from concentrate?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Tee hee. I'm looking at BloodySloth's avatar and I'm reminded of a line a female NPC in HL2: Episode One delivered.

"They call 'em headcrabs but they sure don't taste like crab."

emnmnme on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I keep seeing these frozen 'cans' of juice in the freezer section of grocery stores. What are they? You mix them with water and they're magically juice from concentrate?
    Yes?

Frozen concentrate has been around for 60+ years now.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

well, yes

when you add the water back to the concentrate, you [strike]magically[/strike] logically end up with juice, from concentrate

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    a lot of the stuff you get in bottles/jugs is from concentrate as well. The FDA allows a certain amount of unlisted added sugar in the stuff, more or less because they frequently use not totally ripe fruit and otherwise it would be too sour.

It's why not from concentrate 'premium' OJ and fruit juices cost so much more(you need better product). It's one of the rare times you are actually getting nothing but juice.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    redx wrote: »
    a lot of the stuff you get in bottles/jugs is from concentrate as well. The FDA allows a certain amount of unlisted added sugar in the stuff, more or less because they frequently use not totally ripe fruit and otherwise it would be too sour.

It's why not from concentrate 'premium' OJ and fruit juices cost so much more(you need better product). It's one of the rare times you are actually getting nothing but juice.

I only buy Langer's, Simply Orange, and sometimes Juicy Juice. Go to Hell, Minute Maid, and take your concentrated juices with you!

..... but before you go, bring back that Ghostbusters-themed HI-C.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    But you know what? $6 for a jug of fresh cherry juice is so worth it.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    redx wrote: »

I only buy Langer's, Simply Orange, and sometimes Juicy Juice. Go to Hell, Minute Maid, and take your concentrated juices with you!

The "Simply _____" brand is one of the best things in the world.

Also, for some reason I imagine headcrab being a very gelatinous meat. Like eating a brick of gristle or something. God knows where I got that impression from.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

maaaaaaaaaaaan a friend of mine used to do this thing where he'd just chug a whole can of soda. not really impressive but at the time it was... well it was something.

but one time he grabbed a grape juice concentrate can. oh man. he drank it. I don't want to know how he felt after.

(that ending lacked punch. sorry)

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Aww man, ecto-cooler was soooooooo good!
    Page- wrote: »
    Kimchi is all that food should ever be: Tasty, good for you, and cheap as dirt.
    I used to always have a pot of kimchee in the fridge when I lived in Japan and would eat it as a snack food. Nice and spicy. I really miss having it readily available at the grocery store.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Naked juice is delicious.

But of course it has to be expensive.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Kimichi is a great great snack food. So tasty. I still like kraft slices. Throw two on between some bread, fry it up with butter and tasty tasty grilled cheese.

I try not to drink any juice from concentrate it taste funny. My parents never bought it, just bought pure orange juice for the house.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Does Kraft Cheese Spread in a jar still exist? I used to love that as a sandwich filling when I was a kid.

Also, what the fuck did you do to that ramen? This is ramen:

chashumens.jpg

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    He used Top Ramen noodles, he did not make ramen.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    poshniallo wrote: »
    Does Kraft Cheese Spread in a jar still exist? I used to love that as a sandwich filling when I was a kid.

chashumens.jpg

That's not ramen. I see a bunch of actual food in there.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

chashumens.jpg

That's ramen, oh so delecious ramen. Miso-chashumen with extra negi is like a God of ramens.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Behold! A food so glorious that it had to be put behind spoilers!
    714px-Instantnoodles.jpg

I had this for dinner last night.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Mazzyx wrote: »

chashumens.jpg

That's ramen, oh so delecious ramen. Miso-chashumen with extra negi is like a God of ramens.

I'm not gonna argue with someone from Japan about this, but that looks just like Vietnamese pho/pha

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Not so different. The white stuff you can see is beansprouts, though, not pho. The noodles are underneath.

Pho has rice noodles, ramen are wheat-based. Also the pho I've had tends to have a light soup and lots of herbs. Ramen is meaty and fatty and dark and contains your week's allowance of sodium. It is fucking awesome.

@Mazzyx: Miso? Feh! Pig slop for yokels! Tonkotsu-chashumen with extra menma is the one true ramen!

<ramen fight>

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Why is Ramen in this thread?

As every college bound man and woman know, there is no question of the Food like nature of Ramen.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ramen: It Tastes Like Food

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I have successfully maintained biological function with Ramen as one of my main staples for over twenty years now. Definitely food.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    When you guys make Ramen, do you add the seasoning packet to the water, then boil the noodles in it? Or do you boil the noodles, then add the seasoning packet once you've put them in a bowl and drained most of the water?

I am of the latter school.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    When you guys make Ramen, do you add the seasoning packet to the water, then boil the noodles in it? Or do you boil the noodles, then add the seasoning packet once you've put them in a bowl and drained most of the water?

I throw the seasoning packet in the garbage. Then I use a decent soup stock like Tone's. Maybe thow in a fat pinch of curry, drop in an egg or two, then add a bunch of togarishi. It would probably be offensive to a Japanese person, as it's my own bastard style of ramen. It will and has sustained life though, and I rarely get tired of it. I don't have to eat it as much as I used to, but I still fix it on a fairly regular basis.

Drake on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I throw the seasoning in before I boil the water, so that the vegetables I toss in there too soak up some of the flavor. The instructions say put it in last, but to hell with them.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Drake wrote: »

I throw the seasoning packet in the garbage. Then I use a decent soup stock like Tone's. Maybe thow in a fat pinch of curry, drop in an egg or two, then add a bunch of togarishi. It would probably be offensive to a Japanese person, as it's my own bastard style of ramen. It will and has sustained life though, and I rarely get tired of it. I don't have to eat it as much as I used to, but I still fix it on a fairly regular basis.
    If you're going to go to that much trouble, why even buy Ramen in the first place?

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    successfully maintained biological function

I think this is a good way to put it.

I actually managed to get through my entire college career without eating ramen more than once or twice. I ate it more back in high school than I did in college.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

If you're going to go to that much trouble, why even buy Ramen in the first place?

Because I can buy a case of the stuff for under four dollars. That's why.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Eh, I can buy a pound of rice or rice noodles for $2. Ramen sort of loses its cost effectiveness when you start adding other stuff to it.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    i like to eat ramen uncooked, it's a pretty great snack

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Eh, I can buy a pound of rice or rice noodles for $2. Ramen sort of loses its cost effectiveness when you start adding other stuff to it.
    Let's see, egg, onion, carrot, celery, bean sprouts... not really.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

I eat Ramen when I think "Hm, what can fill me up for a dime?"

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009

I eat Ramen when I think "Hm, what can fill me up for a dime?"

Things like soup stock, curry, eggs, the odd vegies are stuff that I keep around anyway. The ramen noodles are a nice way to bring them all together into a nice comforting soup.

Drake on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    s_86 wrote: »
    My korean friends put a slice of processed cheese in their ramen as its boiling... They say it makes it taste more... softer? stewey? thick?
    I tried it, it does taste thick, but man, it tastes cheesy.

The broth for tonkotsu ramen requires cooking pork bones, fat, and collagen for a long time to produce a milky color and texture to the broth. Some ramen places try to cheat by just pouring milk directly into the broth.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    s_86s_86 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    -

s_86 on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    i like to eat ramen uncooked, it's a pretty great snack

My friend Bumper does that. When he's drunk.

Kinda like that Hasselhoff tape where he's eating a cheese burger. Except Bump just lays on the floor surrounded by cubes of Ramen.

EDIT

And Ramen's the best thing ever for a sore throat.

But what's this about adding stuff to it? It never occurred to me. The spice packet/spices in the cup along with the freeze dried veggies were always enough for me.

Can I boil it and then toss and egg in there, or toss the egg in first?

I am intrigued. I have tons of Ramen at home. And eggs. No scallions though. :(

Sheep on