Options

Obsolete Fallout thread - go to the new one!

• Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I just started playing the 360 version and was wondering if I'm doing things 'right'. I hated Oblivion because of the sheer overwhelmingness of it all, but I'm really liking Fallout a lot better.

Very very early game spoiler question:
    After leaving the Vault, I found some whore in an old house. She told me about owing money to Moriorty and I said for some caps I'd go to his bar and tell him to forget about her.

I found the bar, and I have no way of telling him anything, and she didn't give me a 'quest' because it's not on my Pip-Boy. Moriorty is currently waiting for me to get more caps to tell me about my dad. Will my message for him about the whore come up then?

I just ask because I had the option to lie to the whore, and just say I'd talk to Moriorty, and I didn't pick it. But if either option means that I don't actually have any dialogue for him, the whole thing seemed kinda pointless.

I was kinda excited to march into the bar and crack some skulls, liberating prostitutes.

Now that you said that, I'm wondering about that as well. Heck, if she's no good for anything in the future, I'd just as well kill her and test my nude mod.

... What, it's for more realism.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    intelnavi wrote: »
    Okay, I had this for 360 and recently acquired a PC version of this to fuck around with modding and stuff (I would kill for a better VATS system on 360). My problem is that right away the game was crashing to desktop. I tried the ffdshow thing and then did the patches and now I can get into and start the game. However, it seems to have some major issues with alt-tabbing and I can't get back into the window on occasions. Looking around, I see so many technical issues with this game (and the DLC) that I'm not sure I want to continue. If the PC version is this frustrating to me and I just bought it, there is a pretty good chance I'm about to return it and go back to xbox especially if half the issues I'm reading are true. Any comments?

It can be a little finicky. I've never been able to alt+tab successfully, I've had tons of CTDs, and I can't actually close the game normally (has to be Alt+F4ed). Despite all that, the modding makes it worth it IMO. There's just too much good stuff that you can add on that the 360 or PS3 versions will never see.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just started playing the 360 version and was wondering if I'm doing things 'right'. I hated Oblivion because of the sheer overwhelmingness of it all, but I'm really liking Fallout a lot better.

After leaving the Vault, I found some whore in an old house. She told me about owing money to Moriorty and I said for some caps I'd go to his bar and tell him to forget about her.

I found the bar, and I have no way of telling him anything, and she didn't give me a 'quest' because it's not on my Pip-Boy. Moriorty is currently waiting for me to get more caps to tell me about my dad. Will my message for him about the whore come up then?

I just ask because I had the option to lie to the whore, and just say I'd talk to Moriorty, and I didn't pick it. But if either option means that I don't actually have any dialogue for him, the whole thing seemed kinda pointless.

I was kinda excited to march into the bar and crack some skulls, liberating prostitutes.

I kind of did this at the beginning, too. I don't know why they would put her, a quest NPC, so close to where you exit the vault, and assume that you're on Moriarty's quest the first time you talk to her. The order in which things are supposed to happen is detailed in the spoiler:
    The game assumes you'll go straight to Megaton, I guess, and ask Moriarty about your dad. He won't do it unless you give him some caps OR do him a favor. The favor involves going to Silver (I think that's her name - the girl in the house) and "taking care" of her. At which point your dialogue is supposed to come up - to offer to tell Moriarty she was dead and share the caps, or kill her and take the caps, or whatever you want to do. THEN you go back to him and you get the right options.

It's worth noting at this point that there are some locations you should avoid if you don't want to skip ahead in the story. They're detailed in the OP. Also there is a list of things that, if you come across, you should save cause you'll need later for putting weapons together or quests or whatever. There's a lot of useful stuff in there for a new player.

freakish light on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    So uh... odd question I'm sure... but...

Is there a way to get around the "startle effect" that these sorts of games come with?

Quick history: There are some games I won't play because I hate being startled

I'll be walking around the quiet wastelands of Fallout 3... minding my own business... then "HOLY FUCKING SHIT OH GOD" a dog jumps at me or something, without warning.

I find myself constantly playing through the subways and dark internal areas and buildings... constantly in "sneak" mode so I can at least see if the "Hidden" sign goes away... constantly pounding my VATS button

I'm even putting off the main storyline because it involves going somewhere that I'm quite sure will be dark and scarylike. -_-

Get the Chinese Stealth Suit, 100 in sneak and dont ever leave crouch, a "bit" overpowered though.

Also animal friend and entomologist will make travelling the wasteland a lot safer.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MidViciousMidVicious Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Can someone explain to me what this GTS - Global Travel System mod does?

There's a shitload of comments from people going, oh this is great, and the vehicles work or what not, but there's no real description on to what the mod actually does.

It looks like its just the entire globe, but, seriously, worldspace, and adding your own stuff, I'm absolutely confused.

What the hell does this mod actually do?

MidVicious on
    "When you're in the type of business we're in, you don't get a criminal lawyer, you get a criminal lawyer!"
    -- Jesse, Breaking Bad
  • Options
    intelnaviintelnavi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Evangir wrote: »
    Okay, I had this for 360 and recently acquired a PC version of this to fuck around with modding and stuff (I would kill for a better VATS system on 360). My problem is that right away the game was crashing to desktop. I tried the ffdshow thing and then did the patches and now I can get into and start the game. However, it seems to have some major issues with alt-tabbing and I can't get back into the window on occasions. Looking around, I see so many technical issues with this game (and the DLC) that I'm not sure I want to continue. If the PC version is this frustrating to me and I just bought it, there is a pretty good chance I'm about to return it and go back to xbox especially if half the issues I'm reading are true. Any comments?

It can be a little finicky. I've never been able to alt+tab successfully, I've had tons of CTDs, and I can't actually close the game normally (has to be Alt+F4ed). Despite all that, the modding makes it worth it IMO. There's just too much good stuff that you can add on that the 360 or PS3 versions will never see.

Shame, no alt-tab kills it for me, I have surprisingly little trouble doing this with other games. Guess I'm going to have to return it and kill myself slowly using VATS on the 360.

intelnavi on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    MidVicious wrote: »

There's a shitload of comments from people going, oh this is great, and the vehicles work or what not, but there's no real description on to what the mod actually does.

It looks like its just the entire globe, but, seriously, worldspace, and adding your own stuff, I'm absolutely confused.

its a modders resource adding fo1 and 2 style world map system so modders can make large areas worldspaces without having to cram it all into the capital wasteland and without having to fuck around with extra stuff to attach it into the vanilla game and avoid mod conflicts, using motorbikes, cars, boats to travel the world, gaining random encounters, there's a bunch of stuff out there already a few random bits of shit and iceland, including the stuff that comes with gts like the ruins of amsterdam and such which basically act as a border region to access other mod related content.

in short, its a fully fledged timescaled worldmap system.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

Shame, no alt-tab kills it for me, I have surprisingly little trouble doing this with other games. Guess I'm going to have to return it and kill myself slowly using VATS on the 360.

Alt+Tab can work, but it's kinda random. The mods are surely worth persevering with the pc version... and you can use steam overlay to browse the web even if alt+tab is broken for you.

BTW, AFAIK you can't usually return opened PC games, can you?

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Alt+Tab can work, but it's kinda random. The mods are surely worth persevering with the pc version... and you can use steam overlay to browse the web even if alt+tab is broken for you.

Fallout, like Oblivion, doesn't require registration, and can be sold "used".

Ever try Windowed mode? Alt-tab works fine.

But, it is an issue. Friend can't alt-tab fullscreen, I can.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Play it windowed if you need alt tabbing so much.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Returning Fallout 3 because you can't alt-tab is the silliest thing I have ever heard

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited June 2009

its a modders resource adding fo1 and 2 style world map system so modders can make large areas worldspaces without having to cram it all into the capital wasteland and without having to fuck around with extra stuff to attach it into the vanilla game and avoid mod conflicts, using motorbikes, cars, boats to travel the world, gaining random encounters, theres a bunch of stuff out there already a few random bits of shit and iceland, including the stuff that comes with gts like the ruins of amsterdam and such which bascial act as a border region to access other mod related content.

Oh wow. Thanks for the info. Jesus. Do want.

MidVicious on
    "When you're in the type of business we're in, you don't get a criminal lawyer, you get a criminal lawyer!"
    -- Jesse, Breaking Bad
  • Options
    TanolenTanolen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You can alt tab, its just like a 50/50 chance that it won't let you back in the game, but if it does let you back in game you can alt tab as much as you like until you shut the game off.

Tanolen on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    GPIA7R wrote: »

Fallout, like Oblivion, doesn't require registration, and can be sold "used".

Ever try Windowed mode? Alt-tab works fine.

But, it is an issue. Friend can't alt-tab fullscreen, I can.

Well, what's the problem then?

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

HOW? Please I must know.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I kind of did this at the beginning, too. I don't know why they would put her, a quest NPC, so close to where you exit the vault, and assume that you're on Moriarty's quest the first time you talk to her. The order in which things are supposed to happen is detailed in the spoiler:
    The game assumes you'll go straight to Megaton, I guess, and ask Moriarty about your dad. He won't do it unless you give him some caps OR do him a favor. The favor involves going to Silver (I think that's her name - the girl in the house) and "taking care" of her. At which point your dialogue is supposed to come up - to offer to tell Moriarty she was dead and share the caps, or kill her and take the caps, or whatever you want to do. THEN you go back to him and you get the right options.

It's worth noting at this point that there are some locations you should avoid if you don't want to skip ahead in the story. They're detailed in the OP. Also there is a list of things that, if you come across, you should save cause you'll need later for putting weapons together or quests or whatever. There's a lot of useful stuff in there for a new player.

Thanks - Ill check that out in the OP. I've managed to really avoid any spoilers, so I hadnt checked. I'm still adjusting to a game that can adapt to literally almost anything. A couple times I've slaughtered all main charecters around me, and played - then re-loaded from an earlier save and watched just how different things can get letting everyone live. It's amazing to me.

About that quest you just helped with, one last question.
    Ive already talked to the guy in Megaton about diffusing the bomb, and bought a lot of shit that I totally dont fully understand yet from the store. I also agreed to go deliver something for someone, and to go check out a grocery story.

I have a save from RIGHT before exiting the vault. Does having met Silver first screw anything up? Is it worth it to re-load from there, and just go meet Moriorty first? Or should I just ignore it, and go on earning caps to get the info on my dad and forget about the whore all together.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited June 2009

HOW? Please I must know.

I don't know. I mean that it's possible.

EDIT:
    Well DUH, I didn't notice the bolded part. LaCabra is right, you just shift-tab to the overlay and press web.

If you have the disk version, you'll need to add FO3 as a shortcut to your games list. Just click the "add non-steam game" button at the botton of the games list.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You bring up the overlay and click on "web".

LaCabra on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

its a modders resource adding fo1 and 2 style world map system so modders can make large areas worldspaces without having to cram it all into the capital wasteland and without having to fuck around with extra stuff to attach it into the vanilla game and avoid mod conflicts, using motorbikes, cars, boats to travel the world, gaining random encounters, theres a bunch of stuff out there already a few random bits of shit and iceland, including the stuff that comes with gts like the ruins of amsterdam and such which bascial act as a border region to access other mod related content.

Sorry to keep going on about this mod, but if the entire world map is now the actual world, how do you see the world map of just DC with all the points of interest?

MidVicious on
    -- Jesse, Breaking Bad
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

Thanks - Ill check that out in the OP. I've managed to really avoid any spoilers, so I hadnt checked. I'm still adjusting to a game that can adapt to literally almost anything. A couple times I've slaughtered all main charecters around me, and played - then re-loaded from an earlier save and watched just how different things can get letting everyone live. It's amazing to me.

About that quest you just helped with, one last question.
    Ive already talked to the guy in Megaton about diffusing the bomb, and bought a lot of shit that I totally dont fully understand yet from the store. I also agreed to go deliver something for someone, and to go check out a grocery story.

I have a save from RIGHT before exiting the vault. Does having met Silver first screw anything up? Is it worth it to re-load from there, and just go meet Moriorty first? Or should I just ignore it, and go on earning caps to get the info on my dad and forget about the whore all together.

It's a really minor point, it's not worth reloading over. Just wrangle some caps out of her if you can and keep on truckin'. It's not a tracked quest or anything.

Also I tried really hard to avoid spoilers, the only things story-related are places the story involves and not what happens.

freakish light on
  • Options
    John BradleyJohn Bradley Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    While I know it's never going to happen, I really wish Bethesda would release some useful game tweaks/mods as DLC for the 360 - stuff that you PC guys presumably take for granted.

* I'd really, really like some sort of "reset the game world" code/hack/thingy. I've played through the game several times; but in any given run-through, once you've been everywhere and cleared out all the buildings, there's very little to do. I want to run through the wasteland with my giant green buddy and kill all those assholes a second time. Laughing the whole way. And then do it all again, and again -- without restarting the game and trying to get Fawkes as quickly/early as possible.

(This became particularly relevant when I got Broken Steel. All of my right-before-the-end final saves have lvl 20 chars who've already visited and dealt with every site on the map. Playing through BS gets the char up to level 25 or so. But then getting to 30 is tedious, 'cause there's nothing left to kill. Just an awful lot of warping to Fairfax and Bethsda and killing those same 6 raiders over and over again.)

* Some sort of extra-super-difficult mode(s), either something like the mods that dramatically increase the enemy count, or a slow XP thing, or whatever. The hardest level is not very hard at all, particularly after you reach level 10 or so.

* the "more where that came from mod" would be a great addition. I listen to GNR all the time, and it'd be real nice to hear more than that same set of 15ish songs over and over.

John Bradley on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Sounds like you need a PC, pardner.

freakish light on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    So I lost Fawkes, no idea where he is but I left the citadel and did the VR stuff and now he is nowhere to be seen. I am now trying to get another companion but I have to fire fawkes first. What can I do?

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm beginning to regret re-buying the PC version, the 360 version doesn't crash all the damn time.

captaink on
  • Options
    TheBoginatorTheBoginator Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You can try waiting a couple days outside of Underworld and see if he shows up.

TheBoginator on
    TheBoginator.gif
    Robman wrote: »
    No you don't. It's mass effect brah, just grab your controller in one hand and your dick with the other and go to town
  • Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Just fyi, the alt tab crashes happen after you use VATS for the first time. For a bunch of people at least, me being one of them. Yea I know it doesn't help but...The more you know! *rainbows and shit*

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    There it goes, took a week but Fawkes showed up at the museum. I fired his ass for being an idiot and getting lost though. What happens to my items when I start the pitt? I brought everything with me.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Sorry to keep going on about this mod, but if the entire world map is now the actual world, how do you see the world map of just DC with all the points of interest?

The world map changes based on the area your in, so if your in DC, you'll see DC map, using the motorbike or car you can travel to the dc border regions where you'll see the map of north and south America along with any places you've added (like the Pitt is added for example by one mod so you can travel there without using the tram line, another one marks fo1 and 2 locations ect) from here you can travel to the sea port where you can get on a boat and set it out to sea where you will then see the global world map, and then travel to various locations marked on the map to access the continental regions, like go to Amsterdam to access Europe, the edge of the sahara to get Africa, a port in India for that region and Australia ect ect.

Provided there are places to explore there other then the "hub" maps you take your motorbike and car (both come with trunks to store shit) and use that to travel around these areas, you can fully customize how it all works in game via a computer terminal, weather you hear radio stations outside DC, or disable random encounters while travelling, or for the really realistic approach, make it so the cars and motorbike, the boat and speedboat require fuel to travel (mircofusion power cell made from mf and ec ammo) and even turn off normal fast travel in dc or proper area maps and only allow fast travel via vehicles, it also adds globetrotter balls for companions give them the ability to travel with you and be able to see their actual stats, as well as a "vehicle delivery device" which can be used if you want your vehicle teleporteded to you instantly if you don't mind the immersion breaking.

It also adds a "fleet base" in DC provided you get the get the key from somewhere, which acts as a new player home and all very organized and you can travel in and out of the USA from there.

Its there for the backbone of added new areas to explore anywhere in the world, Iceland is i believe the first "big" explorable place to use the mod, there are few mini area mods around too like "death canyon" and "ghoul mansion" (that's a huge lag inducing one that bastard is.)

Hope i've answered everything. :lol:

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Loaded up the FOOK mod, really enjoying it. Got a nice Winchester rifle. Also, the Pipe Rifle? Uses pistol bullets... pretty powerful, too. I used that through most of the "Those!" quest. Ammo was VERY scarce, though, so in the final room I ended up sledgehammering "them" to death.

So when I get around to installing the files for an "expansion", like Broken Steel, will all of my mods still work?

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    depends, some will some might have the odd conflict here and there but nothing too much.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I hate the "Those!" quest. Its the biggest waste of ammo in the game. If it wasn't for the fact that you get to choose between two awesome perks as a reward, I would skip this quest. But the perks compel me to play it.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Step 1) Equip The Glove
    Step 2) Punch the ants in their stupid heads
    Step 3) ???
    Step 4) Profit!

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I don't know what glove you're talking about. Although on my first play-through back when I got this game, I used the sledge hammer and that seemed to work alright. Perhaps I should hunt down a super mutant with the super sledge and grab it specifically for that quest.

You forgot to mention that Fire Ant Nectar is key to survival if you're going the melee route. But fortunately I knew that already.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The only one you need, the one that's made out of claws of death...?

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Oh, I don't have the schematics for that yet. Nor have I encountered any Deathclaws.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    intelnaviintelnavi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Returning Fallout 3 because you can't alt-tab is the silliest thing I have ever heard

I just wanted to play at work when I have to alt-tab for a number of things, having to save my game and exit every time I get a phone call just doesn't quite make it worthwhile for me, especially when I can alt tab in a game like EVE, WOW, or a number of other games I play. I ended up giving it to my gf, and sadly I'll just play the 360 version of this game. No big deal.

intelnavi on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    You shouldn't be playing games at work...

... Where the hell do you work that allows you to install Fallout, Eve, and World of Warcraft? Jesus.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    StygianSmileyFaceStygianSmileyFace Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Maybe he owns his own business?

StygianSmileyFace on
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    fffffff i have to finish the main quest before doing broken steel. this opposes my "wander everywhere with no actual point" mentality

plus now that im done OA, the crashes have stopped. I mean there was constant texture glitching, black screens, lockups, and desktop drops, and sound glitches on loading.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »

I just wanted to play at work when I have to alt-tab for a number of things, having to save my game and exit every time I get a phone call just doesn't quite make it worthwhile for me, especially when I can alt tab in a game like EVE, WOW, or a number of other games I play. I ended up giving it to my gf, and sadly I'll just play the 360 version of this game. No big deal.

Running it in windowed mode makes it extremely well-behaved when alt-tabbing, I've found.

Professor Phobos on