As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Limp [DOODLE]

• F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sweet! Thanks, Delz. That all makes a lot of sense. I will work on it.

F87 on
  • srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I was going to say that maybe he's just super strong beyond realistic possibility, but then his muscles'd probably be bigger. Second option: he's on a lower-G planet/in space!

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    3632685243_4320daafde.jpg

mattharvest on
    edited June 2009
    matt - very nice, solid work! The little bits of yellow are great. How long do those take you?

--

update, made the arm thing smaller!

wip5.jpg

F87 on
    edited June 2009
    It depends; this last one was 1.5 hours, I think? I forgot to check my watch as I sat down.

mattharvest on
    edited June 2009
    @matt: if that is a cheek on the left side, your strong lines from the top of the mouth all the way down to the chin kind of make it look like it's not attached to the face.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    Delzhand wrote: »
    edit 2: DMAC, I've been meaning to say how rad that hoverbike is. How did you get that background, though? Usually I see a pattern like that and can figure out how to make it in photoshop pretty easily, but that one has me stumped.

Added a quick tutorial to the questions/tutorials thread.

DMAC on
    edited June 2009
    Update!

wip6.jpg

Trying to find solutions to the problems. As always.
    Refine, refine ~

F87 on
    edited June 2009
    f87, do you use just one layer when you're drawing?

srsizzy on
    edited June 2009
    srsizzy wrote: »
    @matt: if that is a cheek on the left side, your strong lines from the top of the mouth all the way down to the chin kind of make it look like it's not attached to the face.

It is indeed; I thought that looked a little weird, and I'm not sure how accurate I caught that. There really is a harsh terminator there though, due to the cheek structure.

mattharvest on
    edited June 2009
    srsizzy wrote: »
    f87, do you use just one layer when you're drawing?

I use a couple when I start, then I combine them all and work with one layer. For major changes I will make a new layer above that.

F87 on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Couple of early sketches for a shirt design for a snowboarding/surfing company...

L2S_stuff.jpg

earthwormadam on
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Maybe you should make the guy surfing down an avalanche that looks like a wave.

Metalbourne on
  • LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    mmm I am going to say its finished but I plan on doing a bit more on it at some point. Its kind of interesting seeing the progress how you came about something when you save multiple files. My water is so crap. I need to find a tutorial on water and waves. Also things are a little more blurry in the jpeg
    desktop-dino-1.jpg

Leggraphics on
    edited June 2009
    That would certainly make a bit more sense MB, but the idea that a snowman would try to surf knowing that getting wet is certain death seems badass to me. I will certainly try to come up with another design that incorporates an avalanche though.

As others have mentioned those textures are all kinda jarring. It would probably look a lot more cohesive if you had tried to render them yourself. It's not like you'd have to do much, things like that just aren't that visible once it fades into the background. For example, those rocks directly to the left of the Trex are incredibly sharp and in focus for something that is that far away.

earthwormadam on
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That would certainly make a bit more sense MB, but the idea that a snowman would try to surf knowing that getting wet is certain death seems badass to me. I will certainly try to come up with another design that incorporates an avalanche though.

It just looked like you were trying to combine surfing and snowboarding, which is why I suggested it.

Maybe you should make the snowman surfing down an avalanche of lava!

P.S. The combination of surfing and snowboarding is called surfboarding.

Metalbourne on
    edited June 2009
    yeah I started taking out the added texture in the T-rex and started painting over some of the rocks. I think the T rex does look better now I have taken off most of the added texture and painted allot in myself. Im just reading a book on landscapes now which should help with the rocks.

Leggraphics on
    edited June 2009
    That is a really awesome idea Metal! You should be a Hollywood idea man.

And also Leg, I forgot to mention how flat that image is reading. It's almost like the dino in the front is posing in front of a backdrop for a play or something.

For the time being, I would work on composition, and making objects read more as three dimensional shapes, as opposed to super high detailed rendering. You've done an admirable job putting a lot of work into everything, but I think the foundation of the drawing itself is what is lacking. You can render an image to death, but if the basic core of it isn't sound, it just isn't gonna look right.

earthwormadam on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    mmm I am going to say its finished but I plan on doing a bit more on it at some point. Its kind of interesting seeing the progress how you came about something when you save multiple files. My water is so crap. I need to find a tutorial on water and waves. Also things are a little more blurry in the jpeg
    http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv35/leggraphics/desktop-dino-1.jpg

Now this would make one awesome theme park ride

winter_combat_knight on
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    desktop-dino-1.jpg

It's sort of like the t-rex is emerging from the mountain, since he's being surrounded by edgless blobby blackness. Everythings super muddy, except for the photo textures, which pop out and say HEY LOOK I CAN USE PHOTO TEXTURES.

desperaterobots on
  • r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Couple of early sketches for a shirt design for a snowboarding/surfing company...

L2S_stuff.jpg
    snowboards look like big skateboards. not like surfboards.

r-jasper on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Started a black and white oil painting self portrait tonight. You can see from the reflection that its still wet. Im working extremely thin at the moment, to try and increase the drying speed. The first layer is just about dry after leaving it under a warm lamp for about 20 mins.
    some fellow aussies may notice the Italian Spiderman logo :)

14d3n7t.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    As much as I can appreciate that the use of photo textures in a work is a pretty nifty and neat idea, it always ends up looking odd. Even when the whole piece is made up in that manner.

It just screams "cheap airport sci-fi novel cover art"

Im not saying never use photo textures, I think they should be the exception, not the rule. Your t-rex is beginning to look fantastic though, but watch the white "fogging" to blur the details. It looks messy.

joshua1 on
    edited June 2009
    joshua1 wrote: »
    As much as I can appreciate that the use of photo textures in a work is a pretty nifty and neat idea, it always ends up looking odd. Even when the whole piece is made up in that manner.

It just screams "cheap airport sci-fi novel cover art"

Im not saying never use photo textures, I think they should be the exception, not the rule. Your t-rex is beginning to look fantastic though, but watch the white "fogging" to blur the details. It looks messy.

Ditto.

mattharvest on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    it always ends up looking odd?
    do yourself a favor, look up "matte painting"
    because that "odd" technique is the most widely used technique in concept art.

the guys i met at valve swear by it.

beavotron on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Totally agree with beavs, used correctly, photo textures can be incredibly powerful. The trick is knowing when, when not, where and how much. I use them, but I tend to make brushes instead of straight up textures. That being said I have about a 20% success rate with them, but that's probably more due to a lack of skill on my part.

Mustang on
  • RandomActionRandomAction Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think they are supposed to be surfboards not snowboards

RandomAction on
    [SIGPIC]http://random2action.com[/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2009
    Joshua1- I think the white mist/light i added does look crappy, and it made the dinosaur blend into the mountain as others have said> i posted the copy without the haze in my own thread.

Leggraphics on
  • r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    a snowboarding/surfing company...
    to my it would just seem like you'd want to include both on the shirt seeing as how there is snow and water on already down in the design.

r-jasper on
    edited June 2009
    i use textures in every single thing i do
    sometimes it's photographs, sometimes it's just a straight up texture
    but i always use them

beavotron on
    edited June 2009
    r-jasper wrote: »
    a snowboarding/surfing company...
    to my it would just seem like you'd want to include both on the shirt seeing as how there is snow and water on already down in the design.

Yeah they're supposed to be surfboards, but when I made the thumbnails I wasn't looking at a reference pic. They are a surf/snowboard company but that doesn't mean that both must be included in a design. One or the other is still okay too.

Edit, and I don't think I've ever used texture in a digital image to try to replicate a surface...But now I knida want to try.

earthwormadam on
    edited June 2009
    beavotron wrote: »
    but i always use them
    See, that's not something to be proud of, any more than someone should be proud they always use a projector to scale their drawings up to wall-size murals, or someone who traces photoreferences.

You're being proud that you're using a crutch; as discussed already, textures and photoreferences have their place in collage work (including some concept art), but by your own description you always use it. Do you feel capable of producing finished work without the textures? If not, why not?

mattharvest on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    No, layering a paper texture over a work to give it a grainier feel isn't using a crutch. It's expediting a process that you'd have to be a monumental pedant to do by hand when you don't have to.

There's a vast difference what you're talking about and what beavo does in her own art.

Tam on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That's retarded. Creative, intelligent use of the tools you're given is part of being an artist. Should I never use the stroke path command in Photoshop because I should really just draw the line?

Not everyone aspires to this platonic artist ideal you're espousing.

Delzhand on
    edited June 2009
    but i always use them
    See, that's not something to be proud of, any more than someone should be proud they always use a projector to scale their drawings up to wall-size murals, or someone who traces photoreferences.

You're being proud that you're using a crutch; as discussed already, textures and photoreferences have their place in collage work (including some concept art), but by your own description you always use it. Do you feel capable of producing finished work without the textures? If not, why not?

I would truly LOVE to see you walk into Valve studios, home to some of the world's best concept artists, look them straight in the eye and say they're using photo texturing as a crutch
    seriously, I would PAY to see you do that.
    While you're at it, wanna go tell mullins the same thing?
    how about every film/gaming environment concept artist in the biz?

and tam, while i appreciate the support, and yes you're right, i don't use it the same way the conceptual matte painters do, the way he's talking about is still valid and he's simply full of shit and doesn't know a damn thing about working in this industry, clearly :)

beavotron on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I know, I was just pointing out the straw man.

I don't know shit about matte painting or using textures that way in digital art, so I didn't address it.

Tam on
    edited June 2009
    Tam wrote: »
    I know, I was just pointing out the straw man.

I don't know shit about matte painting or using textures that way in digital art, so I didn't address it.

Which is ironic, because it means you're the one going after a straw man, since I was specifically referring to its use in digital art.

As for beavo's response: you're spouting nonsense. Among other things, have a look at the concept art books for movies and video games like LOTR, Star Wars, etc. The gross majority is, in fact, not using photo textures at all.

You talk about all these valve artists, and frankly I think you're just bullshitting. I'm basing that opinion off book after book of concept art, website after website, etc. Plenty use photoref'ing, and it's useful as a shorthand crutch to avoid doing the full work. But at the end of the day, yes, it's just like using filters in photoshop. It's a useful tool, but it diminishes the artwork because it makes it less about your work, and more about the texture. I've never, in my life, seen a book of concept art for any film or video game where the phototextures were used in any way, whatsoever, where you recognize it as coming from a reference. The entire purpose whenever I've seen it used in final concept art is to make it unrecognizable by transforming it into a mere component of their original work. The only time its recognizable as a reference tends to be when it was a quick-and-dirty concept to be developed further.

The difference between it being a crutch and being a part of a piece of art is simple: if the texture is identifiable afterwards, it's a crutch. The entire nature of using a tool in a piece of art is that the tool's effects are transformed into a component of the final piece.

I'm not talking about anything beavo's posted, to be clear, because I can't recall any of it (which isn't an insult, I just can't remember it off the top of my head). I'm just responding to the comment.

mattharvest on
    edited June 2009
    but i always use them

I would truly LOVE to see you walk into Valve studios, home to some of the world's best concept artists, look them straight in the eye and say they're using photo texturing as a crutch
    seriously, I would PAY to see you do that.
    While you're at it, wanna go tell mullins the same thing?
    how about every film/gaming environment concept artist in the biz?

and tam, while i appreciate the support, and yes you're right, i don't use it the same way the conceptual matte painters do, the way he's talking about is still valid and he's simply full of shit and doesn't know a damn thing about working in this industry, clearly :)

Oh, and also: speaking of strawman, see how in my original post I EXPLICITLY state that collage work has its place in some concept work? So the only thing you could possibly be claiming, unless you ignored that, is that ALL concept art requires that. That would be an insane suggestion, so I'm assuming you misread or ignored my point.

Beavo, I had a look at your work, and I want to be really clear: I think you do some very, very nice illustrative work. However, judging from what you put online, there isn't a single thing there where you've used textures that you couldn't have accomplished the same thing with brush work. If you choose to do it with a texture overlay (or texture 'paper' in photoshop), that's fine. I'm not telling you not to enjoy your work, and I'm CERTAINLY not telling you that you shouldn't be able (or allowed) to succeed by doing so. I will tell you though that whatever respect your work deserves today, it would deserve more if you did it more yourself through brushwork as opposed to textures.

Think about it this way: isn't your pride in work you create proportional to what you put into it? Wouldn't you feel better about it if it was 100% your work, not 95%?

mattharvest on
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    this is a matte painting

lord-of-the-rings-matte.jpg

matte paintings were used throughout LOTR, all different medias

mattharvest, you CLEARLY have no idea what you're talking about
    Among other things, have a look at the concept art books for movies and video games like LOTR, Star Wars, etc. The gross majority is, in fact, not using photo textures at all.

oh you also said star wars didn't use any matte painting either hmm
    you may want to look up a dude by the name of Yanick Dusseault

actually just check this link out:

http://www.templates.com/blog/amazing-movie-paintings-from-five-professional-artists/

oh look, star wars matte painting used as a background in the movie!

who woulda thought?!

star-wars-matte-painting.jpg

mully on
    edited June 2009
    my favorite part about today is the part where you used the two movies most well known for their matte paintings as an argument against me

and when you called bullshit on me, when you couldn't even take the 2 seconds it takes to type "matte painting" into google and see the heaps of lotr and star wars images that pop up, complete with details on how they did it, which photos they used, photoshop filters they find useful...

thanks mattharvest, you gave me an awesome laugh today :)

beavotron on
This discussion has been closed.