Options

GOP: Internet Forum Is Liberal Echo Chamber

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Zombie Nixon does not approve
    Nixon worried that greater access to abortions would foster “permissiveness,” and said that “it breaks the family.” But he also saw a need for abortion in some cases, such as interracial pregnancies.

“There are times when an abortion is necessary. I know that. When you have a black and a white,” he told an aide, before adding: “Or a rape.”

Even from beyond the grave this guy creeps me out.

"Rape children are bad, but really the first thing that springs to mind when I think about babies that need killin'? Them mulattos."
    We really need a running recording of every single elected official's private conversations. If it weren't a horrible violation of their civil rights, it would be incredibly illuminating.

For Nixon, it serves one valuable purpose. Okay, two, because finding a Quaker who loved to curse as much as Nixon is like finding the perfect snow flake in a sky of billions.

Two, it illuminates the fact that Futurama's portrayal of Nixon as corrupt, baby-eating, and sometimes insane is, if anything, flattering.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    I want to say this pretty much kills Sanford's career, but....South Carolina.

His career path wasn't sticking around in South Carolina, though. I'd say this pretty much takes him out of the running in 2012, and that effectively kills Sanford's 'career' as a result.

moniker on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    moniker wrote: »

His career path wasn't sticking around in South Carolina, though. I'd say this pretty much takes him out of the running in 2012, and that effectively kills Sanford's 'career' as a result.

So your new "old southern white guy" frontrunner is apparently Haley Barbour of Mississippi. Hooray!

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I love Futurama Nixon

override367 on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Google news for the Sanford story
    capturesanford.jpg

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Unless it's found out that he's doing something really bizarre, won't this probably blow over in a few weeks anyway?

Duffel on
  • Options
    Darkchampion3dDarkchampion3d Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    Unless it's found out that he's doing something really bizarre, won't this probably blow over in a few weeks anyway?

If it wasn't something bad, he wouldn't be trying so hard to hide it.

Darkchampion3d on
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Would you vote for a governor who just ups and disappears to the point where even his wife doesn't know where he is?

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Would you vote for a governor who just ups and disappears to the point where even his wife doesn't know where he is?

Personally? No. But being an incumbent and a member of a major party I'd say a lot of the people who voted him in last time won't really give a shit. It's politics, there's always some sort of scandal going on, and this isn't into "dead girl/live boy" territory yet.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

In these [harsh economic times, dangerous times, threatening times, terrorist filled times] (stock images of scary shit) we can't afford to have a President that will take a hike when the going gets rough (clips of reporters going 'nobody seems to know where the Governor is').

Mike Huckabee.

He won't leave us. Even when we want him to.

moniker on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Zombie Nixon does not approve
    Nixon worried that greater access to abortions would foster “permissiveness,” and said that “it breaks the family.” But he also saw a need for abortion in some cases, such as interracial pregnancies.

“There are times when an abortion is necessary. I know that. When you have a black and a white,” he told an aide, before adding: “Or a rape.”

Even from beyond the grave this guy creeps me out.

"Rape children are bad, but really the first thing that springs to mind when I think about babies that need killin'? Them mulattos."
    We really need a running recording of every single elected official's private conversations. If it weren't a horrible violation of their civil rights, it would be incredibly illuminating.

For Nixon, it serves one valuable purpose. Okay, two, because finding a Quaker who loved to curse as much as Nixon is like finding the perfect snow flake in a sky of billions.

Two, it illuminates the fact that Futurama's portrayal of Nixon as corrupt, baby-eating, and sometimes insane is, if anything, flattering.

Well, to be fair, maybe he wasn't racist. Maybe he was a psychic and saw Barack Obama coming. "Oh, shit, Checkers, if this keeps up, the Republicans are screwwweed."

Err, just imagine he used that blubbery Nixon voice from Futurama at the end there.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Sanford '12: He's so anti-big-government, he doesn't even show up for work.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    PantsB wrote: »
    Google news for the Sanford story
    capturesanford.jpg
    I think even funnier than the Naked Hike image is the quote about how he wanted to get away from his kids - on Father's Day.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    To be fair to Sanford, I wouldn't want to hike naked with my dad.

Of course, hiking isn't the only thing you can do whilst naked. Perhaps he went down to the crossroads in order to dance with the Devil by the pale moon light.

moniker on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    To be fair to Sanford, I wouldn't want to hike naked with my dad.

Of course, hiking isn't the only thing you can do whilst naked. Perhaps he went down to the crossroads in order to dance with the Devil by the pale moon light.

One thing that TPM caught was that the people who announced where he was refused to say if he was with anyone and, if yes, how many (as well as the fact that the trail is big enough that he could be pretty much anywhere).

So now he's on a hiking trail with an uncertain number of people on naked hiking day.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Well, I'm pretty sure that the Appalachian Trail thing is a dodge/flimsy alibi by some public relations flunky who didn't do the research (and will be losing his job once the boss returns from his vanishing act). I supposed it was supposed to make him sound like a mountain man or something but, damn, talk about your excuse backfiring.

I'd say the whole rehab thing Pants mentioned earlier is much more likely, although you think they'd be a little more discreet about it. The whole situation needs more Yakity Sax.

Duffel on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Godwinning: not just for the internet anymore.
    Obama and Hitler have a great deal in common in my view. Obama and Hitler use the "blitzkrieg" method to overwhelm their enemies. FAST, CARPET BOMBING intent on destruction. Hitler's blitzkrieg bombing destroyed many European cities - quickly and effectively. Obama is systematically destroying the American economy and with it AMERICA. First the banking/investment industry, next private enterprise (GM and Chrysler) and now HEALTH CARE.

We too CAN fight back. Contact everyone you know. Start a blitzkrieg of our own. Shut down the Capitol switchboards and the White House switchboards! Say NO to the Obamination of Obama Care!

Note that they say Obama is like Hitler because of blitzkrieg tactics, but then at the end advocate starting a blitzkrieg of their own. I guess that they mean it as a compliment, since apparently they want to be like Hitler too. Just goes to show that the GOP crazy isn't a national problem, it's a grassroots problem.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The solution is clear: we have to out-Hitler Hitler.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Godwinning: not just for the internet anymore.
    Obama and Hitler have a great deal in common in my view. Obama and Hitler use the "blitzkrieg" method to overwhelm their enemies. FAST, CARPET BOMBING intent on destruction. Hitler's blitzkrieg bombing destroyed many European cities - quickly and effectively. Obama is systematically destroying the American economy and with it AMERICA. First the banking/investment industry, next private enterprise (GM and Chrysler) and now HEALTH CARE.

We too CAN fight back. Contact everyone you know. Start a blitzkrieg of our own. Shut down the Capitol switchboards and the White House switchboards! Say NO to the Obamination of Obama Care!

Note that they say Obama is like Hitler because of blitzkrieg tactics, but then at the end advocate starting a blitzkrieg of their own. I guess that they mean it as a compliment, since apparently they want to be like Hitler too. Just goes to show that the GOP crazy isn't a national problem, it's a grassroots problem.

Their grasp of military history is also subpar.

CNN wrote:
    COLUMBIA, South Carolina (CNN) — A black Chevy Suburban believed to have been used by South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford to leave town on an extended walkabout has been found in the parking lot of Columbia Metropolitan Airport.
    The SUV is outfitted with blue police lights and two-way radio. Inside the vehicle: A baseball cap, running shoes, sunscreen, a pair of shorts, a canvas bag and a sleeping bag.

A parking permit for the school attended by Sanford’s children is visible on the windshield.
    Yeah the Hiking trip was clearly a lie and not a very good one.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I love the word Obamination

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    It was at least fun to imagine Obama twirling his mustache while dropping bombs over BEAUTIFUL AMERICA from his legion of zeppelins.

I also like how they didn't make any attempt to explain their analogy beyond THEY BOTH DESTROYED THINGS

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Capital letters make everything MORE URGENT

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    AstraphobiaAstraphobia Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Root! Sleep! Death!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Don't cry for me Argentina! The truth is, that's where Sanford has been.

Oh man, this whole thing gets better and better.

edit: I was totally late to the party, via Wonkette comments--
    It won’t be easy, you’ll think it strange
    When I try to explain how I feel
    That I still need your vote after all that I’ve done

You won’t believe me
    All you will see is a gov that once ruled
    Although he’s dressed up to the nines
    All eye tucks and chin lifts for you

I had to let it happen, I had to change
    Couldn’t stand budgets with oppression
    Dealing with that fake Muslin, forcing me to take cash

So I chose freedom
    Running around, trying everything new
    But nothing impressed me at all
    I never expected it to

Don’t cry for me South Carolina
    The truth is I never left you
    All through my hikes
    My mad existence
    I kept my promise
    Don’t make me spend the money

Astraphobia on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Now he was in Argentina?! What in the blue godamn hell

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Maybe he was searching for...

NAZI GOLD?!!

KalTorak on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

NAZI GOLD?!!

Goddamnit, I'm at work.

This whole story is so bizarre. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Wyatt Cynac's suggestion of boyotes comes true.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    He wanted to do something exotic

So he drove to the coast

in winter

when the highs are 50 degrees

riiiiight....

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Anne Arundel county is the only county I've ever gotten a real ticket in.

All the other ones let me off with a warning, because seriously.

Evander on
  • Options
    HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

NAZI GOLD?!!

I DIG HITLER

's gold

Hybrid on
  • Options
    SpoonySpoony Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So Sanford, a governor of a state of four and a half million people and a would-be hopeful in the presidential race, decides to vanish for several days without telling his family, friends or office that he's jetting to Argentina? Why would he ever think that was a good idea?

Hell, I can just picture the attack ads writing themselves now.

Spoony on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    He probably just wanted to catch a soccer match and well, given its reputation outside Europe, he had to take a few...precautions.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Why the fuck was he in Argentina? Was he reading [chat] yesterday?

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Well I guess we can throw rehab out the window if he was actually on another fucking continent this whole time

The only thing that makes sense is some kind of nervous breakdown

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Well I guess we can throw rehab out the window if he was actually on another fucking continent this whole time

The only thing that makes sense is some kind of nervous breakdown

He pulled a Chapelle?

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    SpoonySpoony Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If you need to unwind, you spend a few days sleeping in and loafing about. You mysteriously disappear to Argentina when you want to do things you would otherwise get in trouble for.

My money is on a weekend of hookers and blow.

Spoony on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Hey, taking frivilous vactaions is INCREDIBLY presidential.

Just like the great Pres. George Walker Bush.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Evander wrote: »

He could have probably taken a few days off and nobody outside the state capitol building and a few bored journalists would have given a shit, though.

Disappearing without a trace and not even telling your own wife where you ran off to, though, is fairly unprecedented.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

He could have probably taken a few days off and nobody outside the state capitol building and a few bored journalists would have given a shit, though.

Disappearing without a trace and not even telling your own wife where you ran off to, though, is fairly unprecedented.

Gotta keep your name in the news.

Abscense makes the heart grow fonder.

Evander on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Hey, at least his vacations were American as hell - brush-clearing in Texas, motherfucker, wearing a cowboy hat. Probably eating beef jerky and drinking weak beer, pissing outdoors like God intended.

Jetting out to some foreign country, eating Buenos Aires beef and chumming around with Spanish-speakers? That's not how we do it in Amurica.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    What did I hear, recently, about Bush trying to re-write the story of 9/11?

Claiming that he was in his office, or in bed, or something when they briefed him that it had occured (rather than reading that goat book to the kids.)

Evander on
This discussion has been closed.