As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Valkyria Chronicles - Incoming sequel! Sir, we're being overrun by highschool kids!

• Options
    Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    And here I was thinking it was related to boobies.

Chrono Helix on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    well there ARE boobies in iraq.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    ValkyriaX01ValkyriaX01 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wren wrote: »
    well there ARE boobies in iraq.
    But none that are attached to an azure aura-covered female wielding an equally glowing lance and shield and has glowing red eyes.

And is capable of single-handedly defeating armies.

Or suiciding in a massive non-radioactive blaze of nova glory.

ValkyriaX01 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    (1) Dude, spoilers.

(2) There very well could be, but we'll never know.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Chance wrote: »
    Grayjack72 wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    I have a feeling episode 11 isn't going to be the only chance the makers of the anime take with
    showing off as much of Selvaria's rack as they can.
    I hope it is. Her
    rack
    ruins everything.
    :winky:

As Rent can attest, there are few things worse than a rack. Get it?

Ohhhohohohohohoh.
    Puns make the angels cry.

BOO!
    GET OFF THE STAGE!
    <3

Rent on
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So I just picked up a PS3 last night and got Valkyria Chronicles as my first game (and only $37 at Newegg, which surprised the hell out of me). I haven't had the opportunity to start the game up yet, just installed it last night, but I had a question about the DLC.

Should I go ahead and buy any of the DLC first? Is it content that fits into the flow of the game somewhat rather than all end game stuff? (say like the first Mass Effect DLC mission, where it's really more useful if you do it while playing through the game rather than going back with an end game character)

Dranyth on
  • Options
    MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    First play the game to see if you like it before buying any DLC! :P The story DLC slots in chronologically with the main game story but the DLC missions are accessed from a separate menu away from book mode with separate saves. Personally I finished the main game first before touching the DLC and I think that's the way to go especially for the Selvaria DLC.

Moioink on
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ah! Hello!
    Long time reader, first time poster here. I got VC back in December and I'm slowly working on the Selvaria DLC, but the second mission is really kicking my ass (and Red Faction is taking up most of my time) so I haven't played it recently.
    --
    Here's something I made for Valentine's Day (I just now got the ability to post so I'm putting it here.)
    --
    I know what you guys are going to tell me to do, but I want to hear it from you before I do so.

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Get a VC sig, you.

Chance on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Moioink wrote: »
    First play the game to see if you like it before buying any DLC! :P The story DLC slots in chronologically with the main game story but the DLC missions are accessed from a separate menu away from book mode with separate saves. Personally I finished the main game first before touching the DLC and I think that's the way to go especially for the Selvaria DLC.

Well, if I dislike it, I'm going to be very disappointed with all of you. But regardless, this is what I wanted to know. The Extras menu is where you have to go to access it at all then and isn't actually played within the book mode. Gotcha.

That said, I wasn't sure if I wanted to get VC or Disgaea 3 first... but considering how I destroyed Disgaea and then didn't really play *too* much of any other NIS game, that and I wanted something a bit more visually impressive for my first PS3 game than the little D3 manages to push the hardware, so VC it is.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Dranyth wrote: »
    Moioink wrote: »

Well, if I dislike it, I'm going to be very disappointed with all of you. But regardless, this is what I wanted to know. The Extras menu is where you have to go to access it at all then and isn't actually played within the book mode. Gotcha.

That said, I wasn't sure if I wanted to get VC or Disgaea 3 first... but considering how I destroyed Disgaea and then didn't really play *too* much of any other NIS game, that and I wanted something a bit more visually impressive for my first PS3 game than the little D3 manages to push the hardware, so VC it is.
    You chose well

'sup Chance

HOW DARE YOU GUYS GET DLC THAT I AM GOING TO MISS GOD CHRIST FUCK ME

Also, I wonder how many games get people still buying them regularly 8+ months out

Not a lot I'd bet

Rent on
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Get a VC sig, you.
    yesss.png
    yesss
    --
    hm, will it show up if I edit my post or do I have to wait until my next post?

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Grayjack72Grayjack72 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Get a VC sig, you.
    yesss.png
    yesss
    --
    hm, will it show up if I edit my post or do I have to wait until my next post?

Erm, I don't see a signature. It automatically shows up on all posts, including previous posts'.

Grayjack72 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    There's a bunch in the OP if you don't feel like makin' a fresh one.

Edit: (totally off-topic, it deserves no thread-bumping new post!) I was hopping around to various webcomics today when I happened upon this. I really do adore puns.

Chance on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Aww.
    SadPiggy.jpg
    Also, I have one thing to say about Episode 13.
    RAPE!!!!!

Grayjack72 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    RAPE!!!!!
    Sorry, I couldn't stop myself. :winky:

ValkyriaX01 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    RAPE!!!!!
    Sorry, I couldn't stop myself. :winky:
    That was you? I thought Zaka tried to rape Rosie. It looks like Zaka to me. The irony burns.

Grayjack72 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Well apparently my sig is working now.
    --
    I really need to get caught up on the anime- I've only seen the first two episodes. Oh, question. How much of a presence does Ted have in the show? This majorly factors into how eager I'll be to continue watching.

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Well apparently my sig is working now.
    --
    I really need to get caught up on the anime- I've only seen the first two episodes. Oh, question. How much of a presence does Ted have in the show? This majorly factors into how eager I'll be to continue watching.

He's not in the show. D:

Grayjack72 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    D:D:D:
    I-
    I'm not sure I can bring myself to watch it now.
    But he's Ted! Everyone loves Ted! How could they!?

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I-

Don't watch it 'till you've beaten the game anyway. It doesn't exactly use the game as the strictest source material, but I've no doubt the significant plot points will make showings regardless - in other words spoilerzzzz.

Chance on
  • Options
    ArasenArasen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Thanks for the Chapter 14 advice. Gonna have another go at it as soon as I get some free time again.

Arasen on
    [SIGPIC]steam_sig.png[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I-
    And Ted loves everyone!

astronautcowboy3 on
    The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I-

Except Marina.

Grayjack72 on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well shit, a second Edys squad DLC mission coming soon. I've got a weeks holiday coming up, maybe I should put some more time into this game and try to get it finished.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Well shit, a second Edys squad DLC mission coming soon. I've got a weeks holiday coming up, maybe I should put some more time into this game and try to get it finished.

Take your time. As of now, it's only being released in Japan.

Grayjack72 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

You know it's gonna come here though

Rent on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Rent wrote: »

Not anytime soon though.
    If you're still having Steam problems, try making a new account.

Grayjack72 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Not anytime soon though.
    If you're still having Steam problems, try making a new account.
    I dunno, the turnaround time for Edy/Selvaria/EX-hard was pretty quick especially, iirc, Edy came out a month or two in advance of Selvaria and EX-hard
    Okay, but it's gonna take a while
    Sorry I've been so flakey, these 24 on/24 off shifts have been fucking killing me

Rent on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So I'm quite enjoying the whole VC gameplay system. Reminds me of a mish mash of a few things, most recently Valkyrie Profile 2's not exactly real-time movement system, and Jagged Alliance 2 in a way (though I *really* wish I could spend extra 'AP' to aim my shots better or something. God I can't wait until I get more significant Aiming upgrades for my guns, probably will be what I specialize them in). I don't know, just the vibes I get from it I suppose.

At any rate, I started playing a few chapters of it Saturday over a friend's house, at which point we headed over to Best Buy so he could buy his own copy of it, so +1.

As of last night I just started... Chapter 6 I think, had just unlocked the second skirmish stage, which I went ahead and blitzed for A-ranks about 5 times or so, giving me about 30k credits-wise and enough exp to get all my classes to level 6 and I think... Shock Troopers to 7.

I did have one question about the Graveyard guy though:
    When the Graveyard first opened up and I went in and met the guy, he offered to teach me some medic calling Order for 6500exp, but I didn' t have enough. Well, after my skirmish blitzing, I decided to go back in and get it, however now he just says that he doesn't remember any orders he can teach me. Have I permanently missed out on that order or does he just choose if and what he'll teach you at random or something?

Dranyth on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    When the Graveyard first opened up and I went in and met the guy, he offered to teach me some medic calling Order for 6500exp, but I didn' t have enough. Well, after my skirmish blitzing, I decided to go back in and get it, however now he just says that he doesn't remember any orders he can teach me. Have I permanently missed out on that order or does he just choose if and what he'll teach you at random or something?
    Random - correct.

Sorry I've been so flakey, these 24 on/24 off shifts have been fucking killing me
    -1- I honestly doubt anyone is miffed about you doing your job in an oven constructed entirely of sand a half-world away. If anything, the word should be pride.
    -2- 24 hour shifts? If that's not a brilliant way to get your people to make mistakes due to sleep deprivation I don't know what is. After a certain point, not having sleep has a greater impact on your performance than being legally intoxicated.

Chance on
  • Options
    SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It'll cycle back around. It might take a looong time, but you'll get it. I missed Retreat from him as his first order, and didn't end up getting it again as an option until like Chapter 12.

And on an unrelated note, "Flower of the Battlefield" pissed me off yesterday.
    I thought I was screwed, but somehow managed to start winning. Then a lancer walks up, shoots the Edelweiss.. then uses a second CP and just waltzes through the gate and Its over, even though I have a bunch of guys just outside. Argh.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    SAW776 wrote: »
    It'll cycle back around. It might take a looong time, but you'll get it. I missed Retreat from him as his first order, and didn't end up getting it again as an option until like Chapter 12.

And on an unrelated note, "Flower of the Battlefield" pissed me off yesterday.
    I thought I was screwed, but somehow managed to start winning. Then a lancer walks up, shoots the Edelweiss.. then uses a second CP and just waltzes through the gate and Its over, even though I have a bunch of guys just outside. Argh.
    Yeah that mission is a bitch.
    It would do you good to keep a Shocktrooper on the west end of the camp, to prevent anyone from entering through there. I lost a few times because a Scout decided to sneak past the Edelweiss and enter through that side.

Grayjack72 on
  • Options
    SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It would do you good to keep a Shocktrooper on the west end of the camp, to prevent anyone from entering through there. I lost a few times because a Scout decided to sneak past the Edelweiss and enter through that side.
    I really don't understand my Edelweiss sometimes.. its interception fire is like.. 3 bullets, where as enemy tanks unload entire clips into my guys.

However, I did find something interesting--I ran Jane up along the east side, and she was out in the open behind everybody after taking out the three shocktroopers, and I was like "Well shit, she's dead" except no one did anything. Everything on that map is dead set on moving forward, so you can have someone walk around in the open behind everything, and no one will turn around to shoot you.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    (unspoiler'd)
    I really don't understand my Edelweiss sometimes.. its interception fire is like.. 3 bullets, where as enemy tanks unload entire clips into my guys.
    (/unspoiler'd)

The AI is smart enough to either end its turn or immediately switch to aim mode - usually - as soon as it gets struck by a bullet or two. You, on the other hand, can just stand there without ending the turn or aiming and get ripped apart by interception fire. It's only fair if you have the reflexes to deal with it.

On the other hand, reliable enemy interception fire can come in handy - taking out the Ace in Selvaria's missions, for example.

Chance on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

However, I did find something interesting--I ran Jane up along the east side, and she was out in the open behind everybody after taking out the three shocktroopers, and I was like "Well shit, she's dead" except no one did anything. Everything on that map is dead set on moving forward, so you can have someone walk around in the open behind everything, and no one will turn around to shoot you.
    The Edelweiss shoots 7 bullets at a time. That's a cool thing you found. In my game, they'll go after my units if I get behind them.:x

Grayjack72 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    -1- I honestly doubt anyone is miffed about you doing your job in an oven constructed entirely of sand a half-world away. If anything, the word should be pride.
    -2- 24 hour shifts? If that's not a brilliant way to get your people to make mistakes due to sleep deprivation I don't know what is. After a certain point, not having sleep has a greater impact on your performance than being legally intoxicated.
    Well, we get to sleep on shift, unless the radar goes kablooie (like it did last shift) and I can't fix it, then we have to wait for the civilian guys to fix it until one of us can sleep. Most nights I get about 4-5 hours of sleep in a 24 hour shift

Rent on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I won't bother w/ a RAW review this time of Ep.12;
    since it's dialogue heavy and not too much action (though the rescue was WIN in its own way and far more exciting than the game version).

I will say however, that near the end, it seems that Faldio tells something important about Alicia to Welkin; hence the faintly perturbed look he has afterwards and in the Ep. 13 preview (plus him talking to her). I'm guessing Faldio told Welkin of his suspicion that Alicia was a Valkyria; hence the reason he gave her the ragnite tablet fragment.

And if you manage to look at the route map for the possible escape routes, I'd say it would've been far cooler to try and save Cordelia in-game on that map instead of the simple grid.

Ep.13 Preview:
    Gregor to possibly meet his end here; if not, in the episode following. And Zaka/Rosie FTW! Just when she was starting to feel sorry for the Darcsens too? I think it really was done to try and throw off the guards...? Ah well; looking forward to that as well.

ValkyriaX01 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Ep.13 Preview:
    Gregor to possibly meet his end here; if not, in the episode following. And Zaka/Rosie FTW! Just when she was starting to feel sorry for the Darcsens too? I think it really was done to try and throw off the guards...? Ah well; looking forward to that as well.

The irony burns.

Grayjack72 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    [gleam] Sub is out for 12. I'll post a review once its completed making its home in my computer.

Or the rest can wait until they're posted online.

ValkyriaX01 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]