Options

Windows 7: Releasing on 10/22/09 - RC is Free to Download

• Options
    GoofballGoofball Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I came across an alternative on another forum I visit for everyone who doesn't want the upgrade version, isn't sure what version they want to use or is planning on installing on multiple PCs.

Until 07/03/2009 you can use the code TEYFY09 here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/renew.aspx

Makes the 1yr direct download subscription $249.00+tax (normal $349.00). Technet gives you all MS OS'es (including Windows 7 when it releases), Office, Server OSes, Business Apps (SQL, Exchange) early access to betas - online training and two actual MS support calls.

Note: The install keys you get don't expire if you let the subscription lapse, however you will need to make sure you have the media you need downloaded and the keys for it documented somewhere before your subscription ends.

You typically get 10 keys and/or activations for each piece of software. Home vs Home Premium is considered two different pieces of software so that is 10 Home keys and 10 Home Premium keys.

This is meant for testing/evaluation/non-production environments. You CAN NOT sell the keys to other people or use them in a business environment to make money. Using Technet software on your PCs at home would be considered as evaluating it on your hardware.

More detail about what you get with a Technet sub is available here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/bb892759.aspx

Goofball on
    Twitter: @TheGoofball
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I have a 3-install System Builder OEM version of Vista 64-bit. Can I use this to upgrade to 7 with the $50 deal?

JAEF on
  • Options
    Basileus777Basileus777 Registered User new member
    edited June 2009
    So if I buy an upgrade version, will I have to install XP or will my CD key be enough?

I'm running the RC on a new computer, but I figure if using my the XP version from old laptop will get me a cheaper version of Windows 7, I'll do that.

Basileus777 on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So if I buy an upgrade version, will I have to install XP or will my CD key be enough?

I'm running the RC on a new computer, but I figure if using my the XP version from old laptop will get me a cheaper version of Windows 7, I'll do that.

No one knows. MS hasn't announced that yet. Old way was you just needed the CD, never asked for the key. With Vista you have to have the software installed and activated. Win7 doesn't do an in-place upgrade for XP, only a fresh install, so may not require it to be installed.

Hopefully, they'll answer that question soon. It'd be nice if they just had you enter 2 keys when you went through the install. 1 for Win7, and 1 for the previous license, no disc or install required.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ArcSyn wrote: »

No one knows. MS hasn't announced that yet. Old way was you just needed the CD, never asked for the key. With Vista you have to have the software installed and activated. Win7 doesn't do an in-place upgrade for XP, only a fresh install, so may not require it to be installed.

Hopefully, they'll answer that question soon. It'd be nice if they just had you enter 2 keys when you went through the install. 1 for Win7, and 1 for the previous license, no disc or install required.

If it's like Vista, and I believe the beta/RC are like this, you can just do a full install without a CD key (which puts windows into "trial" mode or something), and then "upgrade" with your upgrade key. Sure, it's a roundabout way of doing it, but it beats having to find an XP or Vista cd.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Here's something interesting - a look at "Aero Link", a Longhorn-era patent only recently granted to Microsoft for what seems to be a precursor to Aero Snap. What's really interesting is that Link seems more useful than Snap is. For instance, rather than snapping two windows side-by-side, in the prototype, you could 'pair' (or 'link', I suppose) two windows. Scrolling one window's contents would see the other window's content scrolled as well, plus the two windows' font and paragraph differences would be taken into account. If one window's minimised, so is the other. And resizing one window would resize both.

In other words, Link would let you control two windows as you would in a tiling window manager. Longhorn was so damn cool.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I just checked the university that my sister-in-law is taking classes at and they offer Vista Ultimate upgrade for $22. So I think I'm going to pass on the $50 pre-order and wait for the University store to get Win7. Hoping that Office 2010 comes out soon too, since 2007 is $18 at the store for Enterprise edition.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That's only useful if your sister-in-law doesn't want them herself. :P They should only sell students/faculty one copy (at least those were the rules at my university). Of course, what should happen and what does happen are quite different (and it may be moot for you, anyway). :)

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    RBach wrote: »
    That's only useful if your sister-in-law doesn't want them herself. :P They should only sell students/faculty one copy (at least those were the rules at my university). Of course, what should happen and what does happen are quite different (and it may be moot for you, anyway). :)

True, we may run into problems with number of copies, but fortunately she attends on campus, my father-in-law attends online, and my other sister-in-law (her older sister) works there. So between everyone hopefully we can score enough copies for all the PCs.

I do know that my father-in-law is now running Win7 RC on his desktop and laptop, and my sister-in-law loaded it on her laptop after seeing him use it. :D

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So lots of times windows will just give out copies of the new OS. I got my buisness copy of vista for free before it came out... I am curious if 50$ for upgrade is worth it or i should wait for a freebee deal to come along.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So I'm still running the 7000 build of Win7 on my laptop, today it said it dies out in 4 days. I was expecting this at some point soon. Just wondering what my choices are currently.

Is there another RC to download that will prolong my use of this nifty OS?

Dixon on
  • Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dixon wrote: »
    So I'm still running the 7000 build of Win7 on my laptop, today it said it dies out in 4 days. I was expecting this at some point soon. Just wondering what my choices are currently.

Is there another RC to download that will prolong my use of this nifty OS?

You have the beta, not RC. RC is 7100 download it and be good to go until March/May or 2010.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    New issue:

Sometimes, my Trillian preview window will pop up, like I'm mousing over it, and I'm not. It'll stay popped up until I mouse over something else to pop up that preview, and then it'll go away.

Update:

Still haven't found out why my computer refuses to display the screen saver or turn the monitor off. How can I see the programs/devices that prevent this from happening?

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Does anyone know if you can disable that stupid mini mode on the new WMP?

Fucking hate it. I don't think you can have a playlist-and-vis window either, just playlist-and-library, which is stupid, stupid, stupid. Although you Foobar-and-Itunes folks probably love it. ;)

It also looks ugly as hell without Aero, but that's a different story, and forgivable considering the whole OS is already ugly without Aero anyways.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    LightRiderLightRider __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    I agree. They should've stopped dicking around with WMP.

LightRider on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    I don't think you can have a playlist-and-vis window either
    Surprisingly, you can! :D Right-click on the visualisation bit and click on "Show list" (you may have to resize the window so that both the list and vis are shown). Not sure how the access to existing playlists from there is, though.

Also,
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    Although you Foobar-and-Itunes folks probably love it. ;)
    yep. I'm more of a Songbird guy, but really, that's splitting hairs. :P

Cyvros on
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Winamp all the way...

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    foobar is ridiculously superior to winamp in almost every way

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I use the Zune software for audio, and WMP for video.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So, it looks like the new house my wife and I are getting has just been pre-wired for FiOS, as such we now qualify for the Compaq Mini netbook... It has 16GB SSD on the inside... I'm curious, what's the minimum size of Windows 7 in it's installed state?

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    foobar is ridiculously superior to winamp in almost every way

Except on the "not being a fucking pain in the ass to use" way, or the "having an awesome micro player mode that fits on top of all the other programs title bar, while having a great default "big" interface that's useful and easy to use" way. And Winamp also loads my 44GB music list in less than a second.

Foobar is so great that whenever I try to download a simple fucking skin pack I have to download 5 or 6 other add-ons, on 4 other different sites, and 2 of those sites doesn't exist anymore.

Here, mini view, click for big:
    miniwinamp.th.png

And regular view:
    fullwinamp.th.png

I tried using foobar many times, but it was never once worth the hassle, no other player has a decent miniview, or offer anything actually better than winamp.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fuck you!!!!!

Edit:

That is to say, I've never found foobar to be difficult to use.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So, it looks like the new house my wife and I are getting has just been pre-wired for FiOS, as such we now qualify for the Compaq Mini netbook... It has 16GB SSD on the inside... I'm curious, what's the minimum size of Windows 7 in it's installed state?

Thing is, as you install other programs, post-vista Windows now has a folder called "winsxs" that stores, AFAIK, all the versions of DLLs and system files and stuff that get installed by programs. It can get really huge. And deleting it might be bad. Mine has 6.5GB out of a 16.5 GB windows install.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Probably be best if I just keep XP on it then...

Nakatomi2010 on
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Gentlemen, gentlemen, please. If I may, Sonique was the best media player of all time. And the flame of hatred within my heart (and my mind) for Lycos will never be extinguished.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I used winamp since version 1.x or so, I know what it can do, and I used to do that titlebar thing too.
    Still, foobar has a much smaller memory footprint, plus I use global hotkeys to control it so I don't need an interface at all
    Plus I am very sure there is a minimal skin for it, too, just that I don't need a skin anyways :D

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

Thing is, as you install other programs, post-vista Windows now has a folder called "winsxs" that stores, AFAIK, all the versions of DLLs and system files and stuff that get installed by programs. It can get really huge. And deleting it might be bad. Mine has 6.5GB out of a 16.5 GB windows install.

Winsxs isn't actually as big as it says it is, as it's a folder filled with hardlinks to the actual .dlls, so the folder thinks it's as big as all of them, but in reality it isn't.

Note: fucking with the winsxs folder is a sure-fire way to kill your Windows install. There are certain things you can do to move it to a different drive, or prune some of the redundancies, but if you screw up that's it, good-bye Windows.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Winsxs isn't actually as big as it says it is, as it's a folder filled with hardlinks to the actual .dlls, so the folder thinks it's as big as all of them, but in reality it isn't.

Note: fucking with the winsxs folder is a sure-fire way to kill your Windows install. There are certain things you can do to move it to a different drive, or prune some of the redundancies, but if you screw up that's it, good-bye Windows.

And I'm pretty sure XP makes use of it as well, by the way.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    When I'm navigating through, let's say, a documents folder, if I click on a file that's not in the middle row, the folder will re-align itself correspondingly. How do I stop it from doing that? I keep forgetting, double-clicking to open a file and opening something completely different. It's irritating.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I used winamp since version 1.x or so, I know what it can do, and I used to do that titlebar thing too.
    Still, foobar has a much smaller memory footprint, plus I use global hotkeys to control it so I don't need an interface at all
    Plus I am very sure there is a minimal skin for it, too, just that I don't need a skin anyways :D

Yeah, let me rephrase...
    IT's not that foobar is hard or complicated, but it looks like ass out of the box and it's really hard to make it look good.

and memory footprint? Dude, i have 4GB RAM on Win7 64bit, what do I care for the meager 55MB Winamp is eating up now?

I normally use the multimedia buttons on my keyboard to play, pause, skip ahead and back, but whenever I want to select a song, Winamp is always close by.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    LightRider wrote: »
    I agree. They should've stopped dicking around with WMP.

Yep, I thought WMP11 was perfection, from a UI stance. Honestly my favorite media player.

If they had only added the codecs that they did in the new one, and redone the visualizer -- which, let's be honest, has to be the worst one the market, I would be so happy right now.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm happy that the WMP that comes with windows 7 does streaming, YAY!

Nakatomi2010 on
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Here's why i use Winamp

*excellent playlist manipulation
    *easy to use media library
    *fits in a small box in the corner which is good for Always On Top
    *video support
    *Global Hotkeys, which means i can use anything to control winamp

So basically of an evening, i right click on my simpsons avi folder, hit play in winamp. Then hit it on random and spend the rest of the evening on the couch watching random simpsons.

Never had a problem with winamp and memory usage. Winamp 3 got the heat for that, version 5 is much better. That and they still use the classic skin which is still the best one.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Idoliside wrote: »
    Here's why i use Winamp

*excellent playlist manipulation
    *easy to use media library
    *fits in a small box in the corner which is good for Always On Top
    *video support
    *Global Hotkeys, which means i can use anything to control winamp

So basically of an evening, i right click on my simpsons avi folder, hit play in winamp. Then hit it on random and spend the rest of the evening on the couch watching random simpsons.

Never had a problem with winamp and memory usage. Winamp 3 got the heat for that, version 5 is much better. That and they still use the classic skin which is still the best one.

The playlist and media library are really great.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm happy that the WMP that comes with windows 7 does streaming, YAY!

I've been enjoying WMP for some time now since 10. I liked the look of 11 more than 12. But I can see that 12 is easier to use for the average person. Those who don't set up hot keys and such. WMP has never had a problem playing back video & video as long as it had the codec. WMP blows past VLC with the way it handles HD video. Sorry but VLC doesn't have hardware acceleration, it just lets by video card sit there, and chokes on HD video hard.

I liked the way WMP 11 functioned in XP & Vista where is just minimizes to the task bar with it's little controls and would do the video thumbnail of what's playing. Most everyone who's PCs I worked on would just use WMP. That's after I installed CCCP to add the direct show filters for video playback. I'm glad WMP12 doesn't need them.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    VLC has hardware acceleration.....I had to turn it off to get an old computer to play certain video files (otherwise it's horrible 1998 gpu would try to handle the file and die)

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    My only complaint with WMP (as a video player, anyway--I'll use MediaMonkey, iTunes, or Foobar for audio) is that certain codecs and/or videos seem to not work well. For example, in Windows 7 several .mp4 videos encoded with H.264 will have corrupted video output in Windows Media Player, but Media Player Classic handles them without any problems (and so does VLC for the record). In particular, several parts of the picture will take on a hideous green color for several seconds before going away...only for it to return a few seconds or minutes later. I'm just using Win7's built-in codecs for the moment, but I had similar trouble on 7 with the Combined Community Codec Pack as well as in Vista (also with CCCP).

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    VLC has hardware acceleration.....I had to turn it off to get an old computer to play certain video files (otherwise it's horrible 1998 gpu would try to handle the file and die)
    VLC does currently not support hardware acceleration of H.264/VC1 video, which is what Dark Shroud was talking about. It supports HW accelerated video rendering and maybe some older Mpeg2 acceleration.
    But not DXVA which means the difference between playing 1080 video on a pre Core2ish CPU or not. (Not exactly sure where the line goes. My Athlon 3200+ is too slow).
    Media Player Classic HC supports it and is recommended.

ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh. Carry on then.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So apparently plug and play mics (the non-USB kind) are a huge issue in 7, and my little Labtec desktop mic refuses to work (it worked fine in the beta version though).

Anyone have a fix? Google just yields threads with no solutions.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png