As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

a

GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular

GPIA7R on

• Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    "Don't be stupid" is pretty much the rule with a handful of add-ons for special cases. As far as I can tell, the degree of enforcement is left up to the mods.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited August 2017

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If an infraction has zero points, is it really an infraction?

Marinate on that.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Marinate on that.

yes because it extends the dates that any further infractions will expire.

also, the general ghist seems to be that breaking minor rules like flaming, breaking H-scroll, forum harassment etc. unintentionally will get you 2 points.

intentionally breaking those rules will sometimes get you 3 points depending on the mod.

serious rules that will always get you 3 points include:

posting nudity
    the N word
    Wares and Roms.
    trolling for the sake of trolling and bragging about it.

thats from my observations.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited August 2017

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I don't believe we have access to any kind of scoreboard (which would probably be a bad idea anyway, as certain asshats might take it upon themselves to gain some form of e-noteriety by achieving a spot on said board), but I've seen at least 8 points in a single infraction, which is a bump from 0 to banned, I believe, or close enough to it.

I could swear there was a post/thread about the specifics, but it might've been the original thread where they rolled the infraction system out, which is probably buried somewhere here in the Circus' history.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    A minor infraction is 2 points, which expire in a month. A major infraction is 3 points, which expire in two months. Spamming and alt infractions are 8 points, I don't know when those expire, because it doesn't matter.

Warnings are the same as whatever infraction they accompany, only they don't come with any points (but they do appear on your profile, and on the screen that pops up whenever we infract people).

At least 3 points is jailed (for as long as you have at least 3 points), 6 points is a two-week ban, and 8 points is a perma-ban.

Infraction expiration dates stack. So, if you get two minor infractions, the second one isn't going to expire until one month after the first one does, even if you get them hours apart.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    A few people have been given five point infractions to keep them in check, as six points is a ban.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Also, while a 'scoreboard' might be a bad idea, I do admit that some of the reasons for infractions are pretty funny. I always like stumbling across the "failure to show appropriate christmas cheer" ones, and a few of the personalized ones.

Then there are the folks who seem to have trouble learning from their mistakes, at which point simply having 3-4+ pages of infractions itself is somewhat funny, if a bit sad at the same time.

Forar on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    At one one an admin posted a chart showing how many infractions (and how many of each type) each mod had given. I thought that was neat.

MKR on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I seem to remember certain people getting serious infractions for "Failing to display proper Christmas Spirit."

KalTorak on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    MKR wrote: »
    At one one an admin posted a chart showing how many infractions (and how many of each type) each mod had given. I thought that was neat.

And Larlar has given like half an infraction total.

He's such a sweetie.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Khavall wrote: »

He's such a sweetie.

Larlar relies on his prickly demeanor to enforce the rules.

MKR on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Khavall wrote: »

He's such a sweetie.

Larlar has given me a two point infraction before.

Fortunately for me I was too lazy to log out and it was passed onto Vivienne instead.

Boy was in trouble that day.

Totally worth it though.

Blake T on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I seem to remember certain people getting serious infractions for "Failing to display proper Christmas Spirit."

That was during the time when there was just the single Christmas Forum.

Tube enforced Christmas Spirit with an iron fist.

Man that was great

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Didn't people get infracted for failing to draw a proper horse as well?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think the problem with having a scoreboard or list of the funniest infractions, is it would just encourage some people to treat these as something to try and acquire. Attempting to get infracted in the funniest way so they could brag about it.

You can see why this would be a bad thing.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    darleysam wrote: »
    I think the problem with having a scoreboard or list of the funniest infractions, is it would just encourage some people to treat these as something to try and acquire. Attempting to get infracted in the funniest way so they could brag about it.

You can see why this would be a bad thing.

That only works on forums where the mods are afraid of hurting someone's feelings by banning them for being a blatant troll to get some sort of recognition. I don't think PA would have that problem.

MKR on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited July 2009
    We're still not doing it.

Tube on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Rewarding people for belligerent behavior? No.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    What determines whether or not infractions/bans are posted in this subforum? People get them every day but it's rarely ever posted anymore.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Scrublet wrote: »
    What determines whether or not infractions/bans are posted in this subforum? People get them every day but it's rarely ever posted anymore.

The whim and mood of the mods, I would guess.

Also, I think I read that by far most bans are related to spambots, so those don't get posted here.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Most non-spammer, non-alt bans get posted. We mostly ceased posting infractions awhile ago out of laziness.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Drez wrote: »

Serves 'em right.

Henroid on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sometimes infractions are silly

for instance, the special SE++ rule larlar created regarding me specifically

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I am sure he has good reason for that rule Pip.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Pip is just bragging

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Best infractions ever, in my opinion.

Well that and Wonder_Hippie getting a Christmas Spirit infraction for starting a thread about why atheism is awesome and Christmas is stupid.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Well that and Wonder_Hippie getting a Christmas Spirit infraction for starting a thread about why atheism is awesome and Christmas is stupid.

I dunno. Lewie_P has some good ones.

Peewi on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

Marinate on that.

I'm going to start saying "Marinate on that" to all of my friends now.

Look at what you have wrought.

Look at it.

theSquid on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2009

Marinate on that.

If people get slapped on the wrist with a zero-point warning, can they still explode into extreme rage and earn even more points?

Damn straight they can

Echo on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Echo wrote: »

Marinate on that.

If people get slapped on the wrist with a zero-point warning, can they still explode into extreme rage and earn even more points?

Damn straight they can

And that's why I love this place.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Most non-spammer, non-alt bans get posted. We mostly ceased posting infractions awhile ago out of laziness.

I might start posting them again, but I am really lazy.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

I never laughed so hard at threads as I did at those threads.

Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Marinate on that.

Damn straight they can

How many cases have there been where people got that sort of infraction and they exploded into a "BAN ME" tirade?

Henroid on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Henroid wrote: »

Marinate on that.

Damn straight they can

How many cases have there been where people got that sort of infraction and they exploded into a "BAN ME" tirade?

Well, here's one to start with. He didn't get banned, but he was basically begging for it while going /wrists on the forum. Even better was that his warning was about the ladder theory which was expressly singled out in the rules thread.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I have a nice collection.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Thanatos hands down has the best infraction ever.

Quid on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2009
    Henroid wrote: »

Marinate on that.

Damn straight they can

There's some guy who got permanently banned because he couldn't stand the tyranny, assholery, and dickwadness of a certain admin who threw a warning at him.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Quid wrote: »
    Thanatos hands down has the best infraction ever.

I'm not sure what's funnier; that all but one of them was given by Tube, or the 2 points for "failing to adequately die in a fire" that never expires.

... definitely the latter.

Let this be a lesson to us all; [strike]they[/strike] Tube can and will give points permanently.

Edit: I do stand corrected.

Forar on