As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The New Comic Thread Wednesday, July 15th 2009

• Options
    babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Goddamn those Silvia knees are terrifying.

Also I love you, Rampage. I love you so much.

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I've never been able to get into MMA.

I like this comic because it describes exactly what it looks like to me.

I have a buddy who is a big fan. He orders every match pay per view, and invites me over to see them.

I go, because I enjoy the social aspect of hanging out with other dudes in that kind of setting, even though I'm not the biggest fan of the bloodsport (it's growing on me, though, as anything does, through constant exposure.) Mostly I just sit there cringing in the fact that dudes are rolling around in other dudes' blood. I was never that in to WWF/WWE either.

I'm getting better at understanding what is going on, and who is doing better than who. For UFC 100 this past weekend I was properly calling some of the rounds the way the judges would pick them, even when some of the other guys there were unsure (the round between akiyama and belcher, where belcher knocked akiyama down but he got right back up, and then akiyama caught one of belcher's kicks and pulled him down, I correctly stated that akiyama's fall was more of a mistake on akiyama's part, than an actually move done well by belcher.)

Every time I look at Brock Lesnar, I am left wondering if he purposefully got a cock tattooed on his chest (Cock Chestnar, olol) or if some one else just made the sword look like that as a joke. He is apparently a pretty big homophobe.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    If anyone has satellite radio, Faction (XM 52) from 3-6 CST on weekdays has Jason Ellis and the dude is hilarious and rags on Cock Lesnar all the time.

Clearly I am a plant.

babyeatingjesus on
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    GameGrrl wrote: »
    http://www.poetv.com/video.php?vid=194 <--- skip in to about two minutes.

I'm not sure if it has sound (I'm at work) but this was such an awesome fight.

Holy fuck,
    that's the most
    knee's to the face I've ever seen a man take

Dman on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    MMA is the most boring thing I have ever seen, so this comic works for me.

Edit: although I have to admit, that google video was pretty intense. A much better fight than the ass-grabbery I've always seen before.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I had an XM trial in my car that I let run out but they just offered 5 months for 19.99 with no reconnect fee so I might pick it back up for that.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    GameGrrlGameGrrl Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    GameGrrl wrote: »
    http://www.poetv.com/video.php?vid=194 <--- skip in to about two minutes.

I'm not sure if it has sound (I'm at work) but this was such an awesome fight.

So what, you're a real person or something

You're not doing a whole lot better, dude.

GameGrrl on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Rampage almost got him with all those face shots to his knee. Clever technique.

Hunter on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Butters wrote: »
    I had an XM trial in my car that I let run out but they just offered 5 months for 19.99 with no reconnect fee so I might pick it back up for that.

That's a good story Butters.

:^:

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    i actually find competitions within single martial arts more exciting to watch than MMA, generally speaking

like if i have to choose between UFC and like

pro muay thai

i will choose to watch muay thai instead

Pony on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

It's pretty much immature cock jokes, like Howard Stern if Stern was Australian or relevant, but I love it. I've gotten home and sat in the car for 15 minutes in front of the house to hear the end of the show.

babyeatingjesus on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    What really put it over the top is the way that the sword is drawn to be piercing his neck, and his neck bleeding.

Meaning that the tip of the sword appears flattened, and there is a couple drops of fluid dribbling down the side of it.

Also, swords do not have veins running along them.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    i actually find competitions within single martial arts more exciting to watch than MMA, generally speaking

pro muay thai

Muay Thai is completely insane and yeah I will watch it whenever it is on. Even the women.

babyeatingjesus on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

pro muay thai

I like Muay Thai because I like watching dudes get kneed to the guts 47 times. Shit is violent. Makes MMA look like nerf boxing.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

pro muay thai

I think that MMA with it's original rules would be more exciting to watch.

Like, with no weight classes. Scrawny brawlers fighting sumos, and all that.

In order to be legal, though, UFC had to implement weight classes and such for safety.

I do find UFC to be the most interesting wen the guys are coming from too different styles.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

It's pretty much immature cock jokes, like Howard Stern if Stern was Australian or relevant, but I love it. I've gotten home and sat in the car for 15 minutes in front of the house to hear the end of the show.

I always thought it was a decent product just not worth $12 a month or whatever. $4 however isn't too bad.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited July 2009

I always thought it was a decent product just not worth $12 a month or whatever. $4 however isn't too bad.

Yeah at $4 that's a great deal. It has introduced me to more music than I ever would have found out about on the regular radio.

babyeatingjesus on
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I subscribe to Sirius/XM pretty much just for Opie & Anthony and Ron & Fez.

Jason Ellis is OK, but he's a little too "HAY I'M LOUD AND I'M TALKING ABOUT DICKS" for me. I do like him when he's talking about MMA or extreme sports because he actually knows about that shit.

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    seriously, brock's tattoo looks like a dick:

http://www.njpw.co.jp/news/topics/2005/10/img/1005/body042.jpg

Evander on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

And I thought I was the only fan of them around. Hi5, VP! Ron is fucking hilarious.

Butters on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    We get it Evander. But it also looks like a sword, so...

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Jason Ellis is OK, but he's a little too "HAY I'M LOUD AND I'M TALKING ABOUT DICKS" for me. I do like him when he's talking about MMA or extreme sports because he actually knows about that shit.

I've only heard Opie & Anthony once I think. What time is it on at? I must not be in the car at that time.

One of the reasons I was attracted to Ellis right away is I've been following him since around the time he started skating professionally and always found him funny.

Also Aussie accents make things funnier. When he did his impression of Bisping yesterday I was losing it.

babyeatingjesus on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2009
    I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who has no interest in UFC.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

And I thought I was the only fan of them around. Hi5, VP! Ron is fucking hilarious.

Ron's a genius. I wish they would play Ron Bennington Interviews at a time that I'm actually listening to the radio, though...

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

I've only heard Opie & Anthony once I think. What time is it on at? I must not be in the car at that time.

One of the reasons I was attracted to Ellis right away is I've been following him since around the time he started skating professionally and always found him funny.

Also Aussie accents make things funnier. When he did his impression of Bisping yesterday I was losing it.

O&A are on Monday-Friday from 6am-11am. Ron & Fez are on from 11am-3pm, then the O&A show is replayed at 3pm.

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think MMA is very very entertaining.

Oh and Rampage did get destroyed in his fight with wanderlei, but then he went and destroyed wanderlei afterwards as well

Ah, the art of hurting people <3

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009

O&A are on Monday-Friday from 6am-11am. Ron & Fez are on from 11am-3pm, then the O&A show is replayed at 3pm.

on Faction? I'm tuning in from the computer right after lunch.

babyeatingjesus on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    MMA is fine. It's like anything else, there are some really great matches and some not-so-great ones (the latter of which is illustrated in today's comic).

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    MMA + Chainsaws

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    edited July 2009

on Faction? I'm tuning in from the computer right after lunch.

No, they're on the Virus. It's channel 197 on Sirius, can't remember what it is on XM

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009

pro muay thai

It seems to me that any given fighting style is inherently geared towards countering itself. So if you have, say, two Muay Thai dudes going at each other, they have techniques at their disposal which only really shine against another Muay Thai fighter. Whereas when you throw two dudes together with different styles, even if one is supposed to counter the other, it sort of breaks down and you get two guys grappling on the mat. It's like Deadliest Warrior; you can't pit a pirate against a roman legionnaire and expect things to go smoothly.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    We get it Evander. But it also looks like a sword, so...

I'm not denying that it looks like both.

It is SUPPOSED to be a sword, though.

And most swords DON'T look like dicks. Not to this extent, at least.

So the fact that this sword DOES look like a dick is kind of notable, I think.

Evander on
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Kick kicking.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Kazhiim wrote: »

pro muay thai

It seems to me like any given fighting style is inherently geared towards countering itself. So if you have, say, two Muay Thai dudes going at each other, they have techniques at their disposal which only really shine against another Muay Thai fighter. Whereas when you throw two dudes together with different styles, even if one is supposed to counter the other, it sort of breaks down and you get two guys grappling on the mat. It's like Deadliest Warrior; you can't put a pirate against a roman legionnaire and expect things to go smoothly.

right

which is why i prefer to watch competitions of single styles

because they are more exciting and i get to watch each fighter's skill and technique with that specific style

muay thai in particular holds interest for me because i trained and fought in muay thai for many years so my understanding of it and watching the fights is from first-hand knowledge

actually having done a specific sport or art or whatever completely changes your viewing of it being done by others

Pony on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    I lived with a guy who did muay thai last year

total douche

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Not as douchey as most judo people.

Had two roommates last year who were into judo. They were constantly trying to 'out-douche' one another in terms of 'doucheness'.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    I lived with a guy who did muay thai last year

total douche

you know what's really annoying

because of UFC's meteoric rise to fame, muay thai has gotten more attention from the mainstream public

because many UFC fighters have based their striking game on muay thai techniques and it comes up a lot

so you get a lot of fucking toolboxes who hear about muay thai from watching UFC and then are like "oh man muay thai is so hardcore i should learn that!"

and they are pieces of shit and they make every muay thai instructor frown

Pony on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Not as douchey as most judo people.

Had two roommates last year who were into judo. They were constantly trying to 'out-douche' one another in terms of 'doucheness'.

My friend does judo and he is not a significant douche

...then again, he's only just started taking it.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    A muay thai instructor's frown is a serious frown to be on the business end of.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    They were practicing their moves in the kitchen and one of them threw the other on top of a stove where I was making spaghetti.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
This discussion has been closed.