As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery: growing hemp for fun and profit (NSF56K/H-scroll)

• Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    game imitates life

Raneados on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    hurgh its okay, they like there fish and water

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    sarukun wrote: »
    BYToady wrote: »
    Yeah, you gotta make sure your taxes are set as far to the left as possible, otherwise they won't upgrade.

Which is a handy thing to remember, because sometimes those bitches start upgrading and eating up your precious glass or tools and the only way I've found to stop them from doing that is to bump up the tax rate.

If you left click the cool little icons on the pie graphs that pop up when you click on their houses, it will "disable" consumption of that resource until you decide different.

Of course, if you want to disable EVERYTHING at once, just bump the tax rate I guess? Who knows that shit.

Thats not what I mean, I mean when they burn a few hundred of my gold and wood and tools and (when going to noble at least) glass, upgrading their house.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited July 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    yah even tempered is the best after you fill up the houses. I like beggars since they cost barely anything to maintain and they increase the citzenship level of everything

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Thats not what I mean, I mean when they burn a few hundred of my gold and wood and tools and (when going to noble at least) glass, upgrading their house.

Raise taxes to prevent them from being happy enough to move up, or just go in to the market and deny them the option. It's the scroll picture at the top of the window.

Beautiful game. I love watching the hand maidens stomp around to make the cider, the dolphins swimming in the water, how awesome the waterfalls look, peasants walking to the coast to fish, the voice work is pretty darn good, the music is great.

But its like serving a steak and lobster dinner on a garbage can lid at this point when far too often I don't know wtf is going on and have nothing to reference for answers.

edit: And I'm going to cock punch the next jerkoff who says to play the campaign. A campaign is not a replacement for documentation damnit. That would be like MS giving you a copy of that Video Professor guy's Windows video and not having any help files.

travathian on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    okay the core gameplay is amazingly easy to figure out don't be dense

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    travathian wrote: »

Raise taxes to prevent them from being happy enough to move up, or just go in to the market and deny them the option. It's the scroll picture at the top of the window.

Beautiful game. I love watching the hand maidens stomp around to make the cider, the dolphins swimming in the water, how awesome the waterfalls look, peasants walking to the coast to fish, the voice work is pretty darn good, the music is great.

But its like serving a steak and lobster dinner on a garbage can lid at this point when far too often I don't know wtf is going on and have nothing to reference for answers.

That is bullshit, red M&Ms are the best ones, I don't care what you say.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    the campaign though is pretty perfect in explaining the game plus its fun

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Slap buttons like a monkey being tasered and you'll find half a dozen functions by accident.

You're the kid that wanted a detailed step by step set of instructions for all his transformers toys, arn't you?

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    buddymanderbuddymander Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Look familiar?

23r2t5tg5gtgt.jpg

456uerthadfhgfnhg.jpg

356yuwtrdgsfgdghfg.jpg

BTW this game is awesome, thanks ladies and gents.

buddymander on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I wish there was a beheading mechanic in this game. Behead them beggars for fun, profit and intimidation.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Slap buttons like a monkey being tasered and you'll find half a dozen functions by accident.

You're the kid that wanted a detailed step by step set of instructions for all his transformers toys, arn't you?

Look, I am pretty sure he's got a valid complaint where with the functions not being adequately laid out or described in detail. When I have to pause the game for 25 minutes to go hunting for an answer to the question "Why are no noblemen appearing in my village" thanks to a change I made 6 hours previously to stopgap my revenue hemorraging that in no way informed me that it would have an impact on my city growth, simply because the answer is stored in EXACTLY one out of the way place on the interface and no where the fuck else, there is a problem.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    I wish there was a beheading mechanic in this game. Behead them beggars for fun, profit and intimidation.

Anno 1405: Pirates!

sarukun on
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I love this game, but unfortunately my steam version has completely stopped working!

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

Actually they go backwards, so the sequel would be Anno 1403.

freakish light on
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    this game makes me want to reinstall settlers 4.

Fuga on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    this was neat, I was like oh hey tornado, are you going to help me build a nice village? And thennn everything diedd

UGHHHMYSPICE.jpg

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

Look, I am pretty sure he's got a valid complaint where with the functions not being adequately laid out or described in detail. When I have to pause the game for 25 minutes to go hunting for an answer to the question "Why are no noblemen appearing in my village" thanks to a change I made 6 hours previously to stopgap my revenue hemorraging that in no way informed me that it would have an impact on my city growth, simply because the answer is stored in EXACTLY one out of the way place on the interface and no where the fuck else, there is a problem.

Ubistoft really did drop the fucking ball documentation and support wise. I remember something a while back about how they didn't even have it listed among their games somewhere.

I remember when Civ IV came with a huge manual

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I heard warfare kinda sucks in this game

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    CG FaggotryCG Faggotry BristolRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

It actually modles supply and attrition very well, just the actually combat is uninspired.

CG Faggotry on
    bulbesssigfinal.jpg
  • Options
    It Hurts When I PeeIt Hurts When I Pee Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Actually they go backwards, so the sequel would be Anno 1403.

Actually, they number the Anno games so that the total always equals 9 : 1602, 1503, 1701, and 1404

My bet is on 1305 for the next one

---

It actually modles supply and attrition very well, just the actually combat is uninspired.

Naval warfare is pretty cool, and it's also cheaper and more efficient than ground-based combat (if you block an ennemy's harbor with warships, thus preventing him from supplying his main island with vital ressources, the settlement will collapse on its own).

It Hurts When I Pee on
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Naval warfare is pretty cool, and it's also cheaper and more efficient than ground-based combat (if you block an ennemy's harbor with warships, thus preventing him from supplying his main island with vital ressources, the settlement will collapse on its own).

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    It Hurts When I PeeIt Hurts When I Pee Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yes, I guess I should've looked up the definition of attrition before posting.

It Hurts When I Pee on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    How do you play video games and not know what attrition means?

sarukun on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I play on easy because I'm a coward

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    tyrannus wrote: »
    I play on easy because I'm a coward

I play on easy because I enjoy crushing those weaker than I.

sarukun on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    GUYS I JUST GOT THIS GAME AND I REALLY LIKE IT AND OH MAN I HAVE THREE SETTLEMENTS AND FOUNDING THE THIRD ONE IS SO EXPENSIVE HOLY GOD I WAS ACTUALLY MAKING MONEY FOR A WHILE WHAT HAVE I DOOOOOOOOONE.

Also, how hard is it to get Al Azziz to like me? My Oriental people need a mosque.

Also this game kicks ass.

edit: Also sorry for the necro.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This game is pretty awesome I need to play it some more, but there's so much stuff coming up and Need for Speed: Shift is pretty great at the moment.

Drool on
  • Options
    Prof. AwesomeProf. Awesome Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The newest ati drivers broke this game for me, fuck you ati.

Prof. Awesome on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I would have bought this if it had multiplayer.

why doesn't it have multiplayer

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I stopped playing this on the very last mission.

I like it, but I don't know if I'll be sinking all that much more time into it. in the near future.

sarukun on
  • Options
    grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Apparently the Steam version got a bigass patch today. And by bigass patch, I mean several gigs. I'm suspicious that instead of patching it is just redownloading the whole game again. Anyone try it yet?

grrarg on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You can right click the game and select "View update news" to see if it actually did anything

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah it is not showing anything yet.

grrarg on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    CG FaggotryCG Faggotry BristolRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    YEY!

I still play this game for the "upbeat" factor, fantastic music and wonderful art design.

CG Faggotry on
    bulbesssigfinal.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    did they patch it so it runs better on my computer

Raneados on
  • Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    tyrannus wrote: »
    are your patricians' needs fully satisfied?

To the Nth degree. Turns out I had set the tax rate too fuckin' high.

Don't forget population.

If you cant get a certain tier of people to move in, thats because the tier below it is under populated. The more peseants you have, the more citizens you can have... and so on. Its a tricky balance that makes you really think when things start to get "big".

I'm constantly changes my taxes to keep a trickle of people upgrading to the next tier. If you let them all do it at once you dont get as much because the lower tiers are easier to please, therefore upgrade quicker. But less lower tier means less higher tier.... see where I'm going with this? If you need a good breakdown, click on any market place and one of the tabs has upwarding flowing picture that shows how it works.

Game is simply amazing because of this... simple things that can perform complex tasks. I'm absolutely obsessed with how smooth the trade route stuff works.

Badwrong on
    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
This discussion has been closed.