As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii Shop] Super Star Wars, NyxQuest, Rock N' Roll Climber, Brain Age Express

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Upon checking my account found I had 1000 points just sat around doing nothing so picked up MLAADL. Only briefly in to it last night, but thus far a fun tower defence-ish thing. Will give more in depth impressions later.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Jam, is it like MLAAK? Did you end up playing that?

urahonky on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh look, the forums are back up! Hooray!

edit: Will commence working on adding yesterday's games to the OP now

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    Jam, is it like MLAAK? Did you end up playing that?

Nothing like it at all really. Shares a setting is all.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Isn't it something like a Final Boss simulator. You play the final boss that adventureres come to kill and you have to fortify your tower with traps and fill it with monsters to beat the adventurers.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    SteevL wrote: »
    Oh look, the forums are back up! Hooray!

edit: Will commence working on adding yesterday's games to the OP now

Thank god it wasn't just me.

What was up with that down time?

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Holy shit. Please tell me it's bad Jam. I can't afford another TD game. :P

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    You know you're going to get it Honky...you can't fight its power. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I'm on the edge, that's for sure. :P I'm sure I'll jump... I just don't want to have to ask the financial adviser for money just yet. I'm saving that for when a big game comes out.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    TMNT: Smash Up? :^:

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    That game better not suck. I will be pissed.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I declare it won't, so it shall obey!

I hope it doesn't suck too. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    FFCCMLAADL and Little King's Story all in one week. NOOOES

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I traded a bunch of old games at Gamestop yesterday (normally I don't do this, but with the +50% bonus from trading a bunch + having an Edge card, the resulting credit wasn't bad) and with some of the resulting money, I picked up a Wii Card thus allowing me to pick up My Life as a Dark Lord. I'm in chapter 2 now, still learning the ropes and I'm enjoying it so far. Although the concept is basically the same as a TD game, it still plays a fair bit different than any TD game I've played.

1 - Each level you start out with negative points which allow you to create floors, create monsters, and LV-up monsters. Defeating adventurers gives you more negative points.

2 - Each floor comes with a different artifact. Artifacts have HP and give special effects. If an artifact's HP goes to 0, the floor is destroyed. So far, I have 2 floors: a floor with a ball & chain that attacks adventurers & has 3 slots for monsters and a floor with a mirror that casts a defensive spell on the monsters on that floor & only has 2 slots for monsters.

3 - Adventurers come into your tower. If they get past the floors you built, they reach the pinnacle of the tower and it's game over. If there's monsters on a floor, they stop and fight until a timer runs out or they defeat the monsters, at which point they climb to the next floor. Also, there's a limit of 1 adventurer per floor so if an adventurer is fighting on a floor and another adventurer shows up, they'll skip the floor.

4 - Different adventurers have different stats & abilities. The first generic adventurer type that shows up just deals a small amount of damage to a random monster. Then black mages come which deal more damage and deal it to all enemies on a floor simultaneously. I've also come across a boss-type character that took a ton of damage & caused slow on enemies it attacked.

5 - There's a rock-paper-scissor system where melee beats ranged beats magic beats melee so there's some strategy in matching up your monsters to the adventurers.

6 - You can pause the game and add floors & monsters at any time which can be useful if a new type of adventurer shows up that you weren't prepared for or if adventurers are about to pass your current floors. You can add floors anywhere in your tower, not just the top.

7 - Also, beating levels gives you new monsters & floors as well as XP which you can use to increase the number of towers you can use & gain the ability to LV-Up your monsters.

Anyway, I'm enjoying it a fair bit and can recommend it if you like TD games.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    No need for my impression as Rainbow has pretty much covered all bases!

Also there's a ridiculous amount of DLC, but as far as I can see most of it is just to make the game easier (more points at level start, unlock better rooms and monsters) so it can go suck it. There are a couple of extra level packs but I'll consider those if/when I finish what I get with the main purchase.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    How playable is Dark Lord in short bursts? What I liked about MLAAK is that you could pop in for a day or two and still feel like you accomplished something.

I still don't know if I really like tower defense kind of games, so I'm a bit hesitant on Dark Lord, especially since it's not as a MLAAK-ish as I was expecting. I should probably just save up and wait to buy Little King Story when I have some money.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    How playable is Dark Lord in short bursts? What I liked about MLAAK is that you could pop in for a day or two and still feel like you accomplished something.

I still don't know if I really like tower defense kind of games, so I'm a bit hesitant on Dark Lord, especially since it's not as a MLAAK-ish as I was expecting. I should probably just save up and wait to buy Little King Story when I have some money.

It's spilt into levels so very short-burst-able. It's very much not your standard tower defence but there's no doubting that TD is the correct genre for it. The game pauses whenever you go into the purchase menu so it's all about strategy rather than quick reflexes.

If you enjoyed MLAAK then you definately want Little King Story. That game is golden.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Yes.
    Do that.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Anyone who hates on the TD genre will be furiously attacked by me.

Go ahead and tempt fate.

urahonky on
  • Options
    SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hm. I'm really tempted to reconfigure my router just so I can grab MLAADL. But, at the same time, I hate that I even have to do that. Stupid Wii and its encryption issues.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    SAW776 wrote: »
    Hm. I'm really tempted to reconfigure my router just so I can grab MLAADL. But, at the same time, I hate that I even have to do that. Stupid Wii and its encryption issues.

I hear you. I ended up buying the Wii USB adapter to hook up my Wii to the Internet. Even that doesn't work very well (it doesn't work on my desktop, only on my wife's laptop and you have to reset the computer when it's plugged in to get it to work) so I only have my Wii connected to the Internet when I'm buying downloads.

Whoever decided that you needed to buy an adapter just to be able to use a standard ethernet cable to connect the Wii directly to the Internet needs to be shot. Not fatally mind you, just some place that it'll hurt and teach him a lesson.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm in the second chapter as well, and I just got my third room type and monster type. The kid gloves are starting to come off. I currently have a choice between two levels, I can continue my march to the next story point, or I can take a litle side branch with some nice loot.

Naturally, I chose the loot path. I was promptly destroyed for my insolence ;-)

At this time, the game gave me a new help file with some nice strategy tips in it. If there are a lot of weak adventurers climbing the tower, it is far more effective to build more floors with fewer monsters in them to keep them busy. Floors stuffed to the brim with monsters are more useful for slower, more powerful heroes.

There seems to be a nice challenge to the game, I am really enjoying it.

Neurotika on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

I hear you. I ended up buying the Wii USB adapter to hook up my Wii to the Internet. Even that doesn't work very well (it doesn't work on my desktop, only on my wife's laptop and you have to reset the computer when it's plugged in to get it to work) so I only have my Wii connected to the Internet when I'm buying downloads.

Whoever decided that you needed to buy an adapter just to be able to use a standard ethernet cable to connect the Wii directly to the Internet needs to be shot. Not fatally mind you, just some place that it'll hurt and teach him a lesson.

I just bought a wireless router, bing bang boom, wifi enabled....no issues whatsoever.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I guess I just have bad luck then. All of the wireless routers I've had are incompatible with the Wii.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

I just bought a wireless router, bing bang boom, wifi enabled....no issues whatsoever.

The Wii can only accept WPA. If your router is set to use WPA2, then it doesn't work. DS is the same way. And since most things are capable of running WPA2 (as in, almost everything but the Wii and DS), a lot of people's home networks are set up that way until a Wii joins the family.

I mean, its not a huge deal to change, but its still annoying that I have to.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

The Wii can only accept WPA. If your router is set to use WPA2, then it doesn't work. DS is the same way. And since most things are capable of running WPA2 (as in, almost everything but the Wii and DS), a lot of people's home networks are set up that way until a Wii joins the family.

I mean, its not a huge deal to change, but its still annoying that I have to.

The DS can't use WPA, only WEP.

Peewi on
  • Options
    Adam BombAdam Bomb Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The Wii can only accept WPA. If your router is set to use WPA2, then it doesn't work.

What? No. My Wii explicitly lists WPA2 as one of the wireless security options in its configuration menu, and that is what I am using in my home network. Maybe it can only do WPA out of the box and it got WPA2 support in an update.

Adam Bomb on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Whoops. Yeah. And apparently the Wii works with WPA2 now..? I thought for sure it didn't. Well, I guess everything I just said is wrong then.

Weird. I thought for sure my old router didn't work with my Wii on WPA2.

Edit: I can't find anything that justifies what I previously thought. :lol: Maybe my memories of DS issues are just clouding my memories, but I know that my current router is set to WPA2 and while my PS3 connects with no problem, my Wii doesn't. Hm.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I also never understood why the Wii doesn't have a wired Ethernet jack; it runs completely opposite the system's general design philosophy of "simple and it just works." It should be just as easy as "plug in cord, turn on and use," but instead it requires fiddling with Wi-Fi, which enrages me with connection problems, having to set different channels to work well in my house and translating an arcane series of Connection Error codes that, ironically, require me to have Internet access to decrypt.

I think my house is just Wi-Fi haunted, though; I have occasional problems with the Wii, DSi and iPhone on my network, and I'm on a version of whatever fabled Linksys router is always mentioned as the best.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    No need for my impression as Rainbow has pretty much covered all bases!

Also there's a ridiculous amount of DLC, but as far as I can see most of it is just to make the game easier (more points at level start, unlock better rooms and monsters) so it can go suck it. There are a couple of extra level packs but I'll consider those if/when I finish what I get with the main purchase.

Really? I only saw 2 DLC items, a ring and... something else.

KiTA on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I also never understood why the Wii doesn't have a wired Ethernet jack; it runs completely opposite the system's general design philosophy of "simple and it just works." It should be just as easy as "plug in cord, turn on and use," but instead it requires fiddling with Wi-Fi, which enrages me with connection problems, having to set different channels to work well in my house and translating an arcane series of Connection Error codes that, ironically, require me to have Internet access to decrypt.

I think my house is just Wi-Fi haunted, though; I have occasional problems with the Wii, DSi and iPhone on my network, and I'm on a version of whatever fabled Linksys router is always mentioned as the best.

Their philosophy of "simple and it just works" doesn't apply to the internet where they have the philosophy of "internet gaming is just a fad"

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So Dark Lord is a Tower Defense game? I never played the first one, but this one piqued my interest. I was hoping it would be some kind of political intrigue simulator. :P

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The second optional mission in Chapter 2 was hard as all getout, man. I finally beat it by just flooding my tower with the Mirror floors and the generic monsters, gave me enough time to add a second melee/ranged monster.

When do I get healers and magic monsters?

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    So Dark Lord is a Tower Defense game? I never played the first one, but this one piqued my interest. I was hoping it would be some kind of political intrigue simulator. :P

It's like Plants vs. Zombies: the genre is definitely tower defense, but it doesn't play like a standard tower defense game.

On a story note, I'm definitely getting a Disgaea vibe out of the game. The Tonberry helpers reminds me of the Prinny Squad.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited July 2009
    TheStig wrote: »

Their philosophy of "simple and it just works" doesn't apply to the internet where they have the philosophy of "internet gaming is just a fad"
    Also they can charge dimwitted consumers 40 bucks for a Nintendo-branded wireless dongle that costs like 5 bucks to produce and ship.

It's free money basically.

Opium on
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Opium wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »

Also they can charge dimwitted consumers 40 bucks for a Nintendo-branded wireless dongle that costs like 5 bucks to produce and ship.

It's free money basically.

Actually, the dongle is no more. Which is just as well, because it's a piece of shit and doesn't work with any major firewall. If you don't have a wireless router and didn't buy a dongle before they stopped making them, you have to buy a separate ethernet cable plug in doohickey that you have to order directly from Nintendo and that costs like $40 Canadian.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I've been using my dongle with my DS and Wii for years with no problems at all, it works just fine.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I bought a dongle once secondhand because at the time the DS didn't support my router or something. I then proceeded never to use it and sold it.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Rami wrote: »
    I've been using my dongle with my DS and Wii for years with no problems at all, it works just fine.

Well, mine was pretty awful. Some days it would work ok, other days I'd have to hold my DS right next to the thing to get it to sense it. I couldn't get it to work with either Comodo or Zonealarm running, and the Nintendo support pages just said, "Yeah, we know this is a problem, sorry!". Sometimes, the connection software would randomly decide it wasn't going to work any longer, and the only way to get it to work again was to completely wipe the software from the system (including manually deleting the folder), re-install, and pray. This happened on both my computer and my spouse's.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I downloaded Kirby 3 recently and I noticed that the transparency effect of being underwater looks weird. Does it look weird to anyone else? I have a regular TV with regular AV cables connected.

RockinX on