As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's bitch about quirks in videogame logic!

emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Games and Technology
It's 1996. There you are, Jack Slaughter McActionson, running down corridors in the latest FPS. Even though you have ten grenades and twenty rockets, you have to backtrack through the level to look for a key to open a flimsy wooden door locked with a puny deadbolt. Yes, it makes no sense when you think about it but we gamers usually just roll with it and keep on playing. Hell, maybe our brains have been reconditioned to accept logical wackiness - some common glitches and limitations are so endearing that they're expected staples in their genres. For example, can you imagine playing an RTS these days without a population cap? If there's room for more farms/mines/whatever to support more soldiers, who says you can't break the game and flood your enemy with hundreds of units? Or how about shopkeepers in RPGs? All of reality could be in danger from a mighty, evil force and yet those greedy bastards won't lower their prices to help the heroes finish of the big boss.

For years, devs and publishers have covered up technical shortcomings or hardware limitations in their games in plenty of creative ways and some of the quick and dirty solutions are gut bustingly hilarious given the context of the what you're playing. Invisible walls are a classic offender that are still around today. They might be camouflaged with burning debris or a chest-high wall but the idea is still there - the player can't stray too far from the intended path or else he'll get lost or become bored.

The most humorous way to explain away shortcomings? Plot. Early N64 games were plagued with fog in the background. This trick made landscape pop up less noticeable but some games were much foggier than others. Superman 64 decided to make the best of it and credited Lex Luthor for releasing some kind of Kryptonite fog around Metropolis to confuse and weaken our hero. Another good one was from Jurassic Park: Trespasser. You know, that FPS with the marooned girl who had a health meter on her boobs? Players also wondered why she only used her bizarre-looking right arm to do everything. The devs made an effort to have her use both arms in the game but I can only guess it looked worse or wasn't doable. The final explanation was she just broke her left arm after the plane crash and it's useless throughout the whole game.

Other bits of 'gaming logic' - scripted monster closets, carrying more equipment doesn't slow your character down, a fighter with a full health bar hits just as hard as when they have a sliver left, you're always outnumbered a million to one.

emnmnme on

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The huge offender is Metroid Prime. Oh check it, that spot in the wall looks funny. Let's bomb it. That didn't work. How about a missile? Well... okay I had the right idea of blowing it up. That was goofy.

I mean, at least they had an explanation in place for those things; destroyable things were scanable and had their alloy or material defined, which meant what weapon to use. Still sorta silly.

Henroid on
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Resident Evil is well-documented for asinine design decisions. How many of you have been holding a grenade launcher, or shotgun in your hands, and yet you can't get by this door because you don't have the properly inscribed key?

Dunxco on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm always vaguely bothered by the fact that every single game uses Hammerspace. Yes, I know it would be ridiculous to have to put a huge backpack on your char or limit your inventory to a very limited number of items, but it gets to me when Gordon Freeman runs around with 15 guns or Link runs around with sword, shield, bow&arrow, boomerang, 4 bottles, hammer, hookshot, etc.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Let's go ahead and say every single Adventure game puzzle here now

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    a fighter with a full health bar hits just as hard as when they have a sliver left,

I think one of my favorite instances of this is Starcraft. A gigantic spaceship the size of a city functions perfectly with one hit point left. It flies around, shoots lasers, etc. But if a Marine squeezes off a single round in its direction... BOOOOOOM!

KalTorak on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Normal merchant shops are bad enough, but whenever it's some military or government quartermaster charging me for stuff I want to kick em in the nuts. "Oh, you can't afford a tank? Guess you're invading Iraq on your bike then, soldier!"

I just bought Mass Effect yesterday, and I don't even know why Wrex is in my squad.
    I brought him along to kill Fist, since we were gonna do that anyways, then we left the club, picked up Tali, and I switched him out of my team.

Next time I see him, he's hanging out in the Normandy's locker room. At what point did I ever tell this guy I was hiring him? And since this was all before I even got the Spectre promotion, who is it who decided I had the authority to hire mercs so they could hang out on our ships? I barely even spoke two sentences to the dude before that point. At least the Taurian was a cop already on an investigation into Saren, and Tali specifically asked to join in while the Captain was present.

Scooter on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    I'm always vaguely bothered by the fact that every single game uses Hammerspace. Yes, I know it would be ridiculous to have to put a huge backpack on your char or limit your inventory to a very limited number of items, but it gets to me when Gordon Freeman runs around with 15 guns or Link runs around with sword, shield, bow&arrow, boomerang, 4 bottles, hammer, hookshot, etc.

My favorite remains taking out and putting on iron boots makes you sink, but carrying them around doesn't.

Khavall on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    elliotw2 wrote: »

Use [key] on [lock]

you have used [key] on [lock]

A [snake] lunges out of the keyhole and bites you, killing you.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Dunxco wrote: »
    Resident Evil is well-documented for asinine design decisions. How many of you have been holding a grenade launcher, or shotgun in your hands, and yet you can't get by this door because you don't have the properly inscribed key?

Worst of all you needed these bizarro tokens for a frikking POLICE STATION.

"Well Jim I'm gonna hit the break room. I'll leave the king's crest with the typewriter pin and clock key if you wanna join me later. Remember to jump the third step in the fireplace staircase."

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    At last, my ragtag team of adventurers and I are level 78, time to defeat the ultimate evil! Oh goddammit, who put this boulder that I could easily climb over in front of the door? Dammit, now I have to take the long way around. No no, don't you even suggest using my powers to drop a moon on the planet to push it aside.

Gilder on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Very few video games get economies and markets right. I wouldn't mind so much, but it wouldn't be that hard to do a much better job than most games do, and it's not like (for the majority of games) having a flawed economy/market has gameplay/design benefits.

I'd love if games did people getting shot properly too. Shooting a guy in the chest once should not reduce his health bar a big chunk, it should knock him on the ground, and he should slowly bleed out, but maybe be able to get a few shots off whilst he is dying. I guess COD4s multiplayer thing is a bit like that, but I think it is a mechanic that could really be fantstic, especially for single player games. For most games, people are either dead or alive, and no real inbetween.

LewieP on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

"Well Jim I'm gonna hit the break room. I'll leave the king's crest with the typewriter pin and clock key if you wanna join me later. Remember to jump the third step in the fireplace staircase."

20020503h.gif

Oh, and while I was looking for that, I found this other flaw in video game logic: People charging you money when you're trying to save their lives. Offenders are every RPG ever, and RE4:

20050114h.jpg

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I was under the impression that the merchant was a Ganado, but was under his own control. So what does he do? Start a business!

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009

One of those makes sense - the relief behind Chief Irons' desk in his office. It's proven throughout the files and general aesthetic style of the Police Station that Irons loves tacky, bizarre art (The statue puzzle on the second floor western hallway, file: Chief Secretary's Diary A). He's also a bit on the whacko side (see files: Federal Police Dept. Internal Investigation Report, Chief Secretary's Diary B), and furthermore he was deliberately sabotaging the surviving officer's chances of survival (See files: Chief's Diary, Operation Report). It's not entirely out of character for him to have a secret access to the sewer system, not to mention his twisted dungeon of taxidermy and all things wrong. Within the boundaries of the game's internal narrative, it's perfectly acceptable.

The chess plug lock, on the other hand, being masterminded by "Thomas, the old man who works in the scrap yard", who did it because he gets a raging boner for chess. This makes no goddamn sense.

Addendum: Specifically, the biggest gripe I have about RE2 (but by no means the only one) is that it is actually easier to access the Police Stations' weapons locker than it is to get into the Raccoon City sewers. This is royally messed up logic at work.

Dunxco on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »

Use [key] on [lock]

you have used [key] on [lock]

A [snake] lunges out of the keyhole and bites you, killing you.

I bet that happens in Nethack.

Henroid on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The Gabriel Knight cat hair mustache.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Oh, and while I was looking for that, I found this other flaw in video game logic: People charging you money when you're trying to save their lives. Offenders are every RPG ever, and RE4:

20050114h.jpg

The best part is that this is discussed at the very start of Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin. You run into the priest outside Dracula's castle and he's like, "Hey the church sent me here to supply you two." And after Jonathan and Charlotte are like "Oh nice!" he says, "There's, uh, one more thing... it's a matter of, erm, economics..." Like almost word for word.

Henroid on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »

I've always let that one pass, because I could totally see Tim Curry doing that.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

Is this from the 3rd one? I don't remember anything like that from the first 2.

I think my complaint from Resident Evil was the design of the buildings.
    I mean in the mansion there are what, all of two whole bathrooms in the entire complex? Maybe 3?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I think the Simon the Sorcerer games should get a free pass, considering A Wizard Did Itâ„¢. All the inventory items went into Simon's hat.

Time tends to be screwy in games. In Beasts and Bumpkins, there was a day/night cycle and a season cycle, but each season only lasted a day. It was like they were living in a mix between Generic Medieval England and the North Pole. Although you only have to try and play The Sims to see just how dull and restrictive accurate time simulations can be. Well, not that accurate - I seem to recall it taking almost an hour to have a shower.

There's also the issue of how I can kill fifty wolves without getting one corpse, how armour taken from a gnome fits my seven-foot barbarian, and how professional guards will ignore anything suspicious short of you dancing in front of them, given enough time.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Khavall wrote: »

My favorite remains taking out and putting on iron boots makes you sink, but carrying them around doesn't.

http://www.awkwardzombie.com/comic1-102207.php

Another good one:
    http://www.awkwardzombie.com/comic1-073007.php

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Steering away from Resident Evil - most games handle the concept of healing yourself very, very pooly. Floating hearts that you "consume", healing herbs and sprays, medi-kits that walking over activates them instantly even in dense combat, health dispensers(!), tonics, food items (from chocolate to whole roast turkeys). The only games I've ever seen perform this well is Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, wherein you'll move slower if you have a leg injury, and you may very well have to stick a splint into it to regain your walking speed. But you'll still be pretty slow until you recover, and MGS3: Snake Eater.

Dunxco on
  • Options
    Lithium SpadeLithium Spade Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Gilder wrote: »
    At last, my ragtag team of adventurers and I are level 78, time to defeat the ultimate evil! Oh goddammit, who put this boulder that I could easily climb over in front of the door? Dammit, now I have to take the long way around. No no, don't you even suggest using my powers to drop a moon on the planet to push it aside.

Grandia II had an amazing moment early on mocking this exact thing:

Main character: "Oh no! The doors locked! What can i do?"
    Sidekick bird character "Erm...break the window? YOU'VE GOT A MASSIVE SWORD"
    Main character "Oh...yeah"

So many times i've wanted to do that in RPG's. Grandia II is one of my favourites.

And then there's Oblivion's classic over-encumbering system. You've got 15 swords, 12 shields, 90 potions, dozens of books, and you're leaping down the hill happy as can be. Then you pick a grape from a tree and suddenly you're rooted to the spot =D

Lithium Spade on
    LithiumSpade.png
  • Options
    Darth NathanDarth Nathan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The thing I hate the MOST in any video game, to the point where I will turn the game off and not ever want to play it again, is nonsensical worlds.

Zelda is the biggest offender. Welcome to the vast and prosperous kingdom of Hyrule! Hey buddy, you know your "kingdom" is a town, a horse ranch, a lake, a couple of trees, and a sandbox right? There's maybe 50 people living here. 50 people does not a kingdom make. Where are the farms, where do you get your food, what do you trade and barter with, and why are there no roads leading out of this shithole despite the fact you specifically mention the fact there are other population centers around.

This, seriously, is why I've never finished a Zelda game. The world feels constructed and artificial, existing only for the purpose of housing more puzzles than citizens. Granted that earlier on this was due to technological constraints, but there was no need for Twilight Princess to be exactly the bloody same.

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Nocren wrote: »

Is this from the 3rd one? I don't remember anything like that from the first 2.

I think my complaint from Resident Evil was the design of the buildings.
    I mean in the mansion there are what, all of two whole bathrooms in the entire complex? Maybe 3?

Yeap, as popularized brilliantly by Old Man Murray. The sad thing is, playing it at the time didn't seem odd, which speaks volumes about the logic of adventure games.

And re: RE: being evil removes your need to urinate. It's scientific fact.

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Knee high walls are more insulting than the chest high walls for area control. I could step over the fucking thing but theres some mystic forcefield of fuck you.

I don't mind the hammerspace, Because I'd rather have some enjoyment with a game than have it be a 1:1 reality where i can only carry 2 or 3 items.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Steering away from Resident Evil - most games handle the concept of healing yourself very, very pooly. Floating hearts that you "consume", healing herbs and sprays, medi-kits that walking over activates them instantly even in dense combat, health dispensers(!), tonics, food items (from chocolate to whole roast turkeys). The only games I've ever seen perform this well is Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, wherein you'll move slower if you have a leg injury, and you may very well have to stick a splint into it to regain your walking speed. But you'll still be pretty slow until you recover, and MGS3: Snake Eater.

Wurm Online had a similar injury system, where you were screwed if your legs got injured and it took a very long time to heal, mainly involving slapping on poultices. Mount & Blade doesn't have healing potions, either - you're at the mercy of time and your party's medicinal skills.

Theft is another weird issue; either you can steal everything that's not nailed down as long as nobody sees the actual theft take place (never mind you're just ambling into people's houses and after you leave they're a whole lot emptier), or you're bound by some moral code not to touch anything.

Rhesus Positive on
  • Options
    Lithium SpadeLithium Spade Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You also have the wonder of psychic people/guards/whatever - as soon as you defeat the evil boss threatening the town, even if you're at the bottom of a cave and no one is around to see it - everyone knows instantly.

Theres a classic list of RPG cliches that's been round for years thats always a good laugh:

http://project-apollo.net/text/rpg.html

Lithium Spade on
    LithiumSpade.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The thing I hate the MOST in any video game, to the point where I will turn the game off and not ever want to play it again, is nonsensical worlds.

Zelda is the biggest offender. Welcome to the vast and prosperous kingdom of Hyrule! Hey buddy, you know your "kingdom" is a town, a horse ranch, a lake, a couple of trees, and a sandbox right? There's maybe 50 people living here. 50 people does not a kingdom make. Where are the farms, where do you get your food, what do you trade and barter with, and why are there no roads leading out of this shithole despite the fact you specifically mention the fact there are other population centers around.

This, seriously, is why I've never finished a Zelda game. The world feels constructed and artificial, existing only for the purpose of housing more puzzles than citizens. Granted that earlier on this was due to technological constraints, but there was no need for Twilight Princess to be exactly the bloody same.

I've never minded this. Simply because people would bitch that they can't run a game because there's 50,000 completely pointless NPCs making the game run at negative fifty frames per second.

I've always taken the view that each on screen character represented X number of NPCs, depending on teh size of the village that X could be anywhere from 5 to 50 depending on various assumptions on the supposed population density and infrastructure available.

Perhaps I overthink things, as well.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Or how about in just about every RPG ever you can just walk into everybody's house and steal their shit and they don't do anything.
    I was SHOCKED when I played Shemue and I though "Hey, this door's locked," then went next door and a nice old lady answered after I knock and was wondering why Ryo wasn't barging past her to loot the place.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'd like to know why I can only wear two rings and one amulet at a time. I've got ten fingers, haven't I? Hell, I'll double up on some of them. And I'm sure my neck can accommodate more than one gold chain. Time to bring bling culture to RPGworld.

Rhesus Positive on
  • Options
    CraigopogoCraigopogo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The really low walls you can't go over are the worst. Half the time you're some badass special forces combat death machine, but 8 inches of brick and mortar is impossible to circumvent.

Craigopogo on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    How about the issue of the dumbest commanding officers.

End of Half-life:ep2 spoilers
    They decide to throw 10 or so walkers at the base. If they stick together they have such overwhelming fire power they would wipe the floor with the rebels. Send in a few airships and it would be a cakewalk. What do they do? Send them in one at a time with no air support.

It's as if their afraid of winning too easily. Then again, the first lesson at villain school is always give the hero a chance.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Buttcleft wrote: »

I've never minded this. Simply because people would bitch that they can't run a game because there's 50,000 completely pointless NPCs making the game run at negative fifty frames per second.

I've always taken the view that each on screen character represented X number of NPCs, depending on teh size of the village that X could be anywhere from 5 to 50 depending on various assumptions on the supposed population density and infrastructure available.

That's, er, an interesting way of thinking about it.

The thing is, that they wouldn't even need 50,000 NPCs either. Just make it clear to the player that this is only a small slice of the kingdom. Maybe add a token farm here and there. Just make it believable.

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009

The thing is, that they wouldn't even need 50,000 NPCs either. Just make it clear to the player that this is only a small slice of the kingdom. Maybe add a token farm here and there. Just make it believable.

I also assume that there is vast farm area and such as well, but not implemented because there is no point in the story for it to be there, and implementing pointless areas are a performance and monetary waste.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'd like to know why I can only wear two rings and one amulet at a time. I've got ten fingers, haven't I? Hell, I'll double up on some of them. And I'm sure my neck can accommodate more than one gold chain. Time to bring bling culture to RPGworld.

The explanation is that that the magic of items of the same slot interfer with one another.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh, cool. Nobody mentioned Cutscene Deaths yet.

So...

Cutscene Deaths.

"Hey, I'm super awesome, and if I die in battle, just use a (insert recovery item here) on me and I'll be A-Okay! Wait, what, that's the main bad guy?

Goddamnit. *Death warble*"

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    edited August 2009

I also assume that there is vast farm area and such as well, but not implemented because there is no point in the story for it to be there, and implementing pointless areas are a performance and monetary waste.

Yeah, I'll give you that one. I never said it was a sensible request, just one that really irks me. And there are games that do it well too. World of Warcraft shows farms and ranches along with cities and wilderness. Or even smaller games like Assassin's Creed. It's possible, to make your game world believable and relevant, just tricky.

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If I was a force of invading aliens, I'd probably nuke the site from orbit before landing. Just to be sure.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    If some malevolent force was a problem 10, 100, 1000 etc. years ago, you can bet your bottom dollar that the previous heroes/ancient mystical race/gods just sealed it away instead of actually sorting out the problem. Then the malevolent force will break free during the current hero(es) time period to cause havoc, and it's up to the present hero(es) to rectify past mistakes and obliterating the evil, rather than sealing it back away again. Thus, nobody seems to learn from the mistakes of their elders. Ever. They just leave it up to the kids to handle it.

Dunxco on