As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ultimate Spider-Thread!

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    I'm doing it.

I'm jumping in. Setting up my heavy ink account for subs right now until I can go direct through Marvel.

Call me dense but I'm just a bit confused about this statement of yours Hadji. Are you saying the UCSM will be the only comic you'll get during your financial situation? And that you'll eventually subscribe to it through Marvel.com?

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Anyone wanna see the first few pages of Ultimate Avengers #1?

Owenashi on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Spider-Man has a HUGE head.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Anyone wanna see the first few pages of Ultimate Avengers #1?

I love you.

Hensler on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    For some reason that purple getup Hawkeye has just doesn't seem right now that Millar is writing the book again.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    I'm doing it.

I'm jumping in. Setting up my heavy ink account for subs right now until I can go direct through Marvel.

Call me dense but I'm just a bit confused about this statement of yours Hadji. Are you saying the UCSM will be the only comic you'll get during your financial situation? And that you'll eventually subscribe to it through Marvel.com?

It will be one of few, but yes, that's the jist of it. I'm hopping on now through heavy ink until I get settled and can go through Marvel.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    God those reader comments on the UCA preview piss me off. Not reading this book just because of Ultimatum is so fucking lame. I'm not saying people don't have the right to hate Ultimatum but UCA, other than referencing it from time to time, will have nothing to do with it!

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Ewwww... IGN Comments. I'm afraid to even look.

Hensler on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm assuming it's Ultimate Mysterio.

Bendis has said Mysterio is going to be in the first UCSM arc so yeah probably

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    For some reason that purple getup Hawkeye has just doesn't seem right now that Millar is writing the book again.

I think it would look better without the big stupid bullseye on his forehead.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'm doing it.

It will be one of few, but yes, that's the jist of it. I'm hopping on now through heavy ink until I get settled and can go through Marvel.

Ah OK, I just didn't know what heavy ink was.

The Ultimate Comics line would be good for people looking to pick up just a few books. Assuming you'll avoid reading anything by Loeb (like I have to assume that), you can follow the whole universe with just two or three books plus a miniseries here or there.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Didn't Nick Fury lost an arm at some point?

noir_blood on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Didn't Nick Fury lost an arm at some point?

Yeah but I guess he replaced it with a bionic one according to Ultimate Secrets

Me Too! on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yes. Probably a prosthetic or something, ult. Misty Knight had one.

I'm intrigued by this new Ultimates book. Previews feel a lot like Ultimates 1 and 2.

This is a good sign.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, his arm got cut off in Ultimates 2.

edit: I'm slow :)

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Golden Yak wrote: »

I'm intrigued by this new Ultimates book. Previews feel a lot like Ultimates 1 and 2.

This is a good sign.

Regular Misty Knight has one too, it's kind of her Thing

Also Ultimate Avengers feels like the first 2 Ultimates books because it's all Millar

Me Too! on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    All I want to know is why is the sky purple.

KVW on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    KVW wrote: »
    All I want to know is why is the sky purple.

http://littleshop.physics.colostate.edu/docs/CMMAP/tenthings/SkyPurple.pdf

Hensler on
  • Options
    DoctorstrongbadDoctorstrongbad Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Me Too! wrote: »
    Golden Yak wrote: »

This is a good sign.

Regular Misty Knight has one too, it's kind of her Thing

Also Ultimate Avengers feels like the first 2 Ultimates books because it's all Millar

Does anybody have prosthetic limbs? Should somebody start a list?

Doctorstrongbad on
  • Options
    DeJesusDeJesus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    Kong doesn't really appeal to me. I don't not like him, he just seems sort of boring. He and Kitty are fine together, though.

I think Kong is basically an avatar for bendis at this point. Kong is no longer a 1 dimensional side, he gets the hot new girl who doesn't die, the girl doesn't truely love him, plus the resemblance is resemble...some...ish.

DeJesus on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I wonder if Flash Thompson is still alive. Peter doesn't really need a bully anymore, but he did have that thing with Gwen.

Still, at least some of the kids from school need to be dead, and if you're going to add someone recognizable then it's either Flash or Jessica Jones.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You know why Ben crushing Doom's head bothered me?

Because Doom has ever fought the FF.

Seriously. Has he never been punched before? By the guy who punches people and nothing else? Never say, built a suit of armor designed specifically to hurt others and protect him, specifically hurt the FF and protect him from the FF?

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Ultimate Doom doesn't wear armor, but it's still a valid point.
    Ultimate Doom is a scientific genius, though unlike Richards he approaches science as an art rather than as a system. While the Fantastic Four's powers are compared to the four classical Greek elements, Doom has attained the power of one of the additional Chinese elements, metal - his body is almost completely solid metal, possessing no discrete internal organs, somewhat similar to Colossus (though Doom cannot switch back to a flesh-and-blood form). In his first post-transformation encounter with the Fantastic Four, he expelled the remains of his internal organs as a poisonous gas. He can grow and fling porcupine-like volleys of metal spikes from his forearms, and also possesses a regenerative power, but he cannot heal any wound caused by his own body. Thus, the scar Reed made on Doom's face remains, because it was done with one of his own spikes. Doom exhibits super strength as well, as he is able to break the arms off the zombie version of Ben Grimm.[4] The creature Doom summoned selected his body as the most powerful it could find, passing up Thor and Thing.

The Ultimate Universe's Doom is also an accomplished sorcerer. Richards discovers that Johnny did not get the life form inside him from the Negative Zone. Rather, Victor "summoned" the creature inside Johnny. Later, Doom used sorcery to exchange minds with Richards.[4]

Thing shouldn't have been able to kill him.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Loeb ignored previous continuity?

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Ultimate Doom sounds pretty retarded. How did he come off in the actual comics?

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Ultimate Doom sounds pretty retarded. How did he come off in the actual comics?

He came off alright once you got past the, "This is different, so it's bad!" feeling. He was pretty cool in the zombie storyline as well.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    "HE FOUND OUT ABOUT THE RED SKULL!"

Oh, Miller... -_-

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well, the Red Skull is his illegitimate son turned neo-nazi, so I can see why he may have took off.

KVW on
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Red Hood is a DC character Drakeon

I meant the Hood >_>

Mysterio though? I suppose if Bendis mentioned he'd be in the first issue it could be him, he just seems to resemble the Hood so much, maybe its a red herring in that regard (well, him being the Hood is the red herring).

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yeah I thought he was the Ultimate version of The Hood too.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    An Ultimate version of Parker Robins could be interesting, as long as Bendis makes him totally different from the 616 version. And I don't even dislike the original version, even when Bendis writes him, but the two versions need to be as different as possible.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Geldoff is the Ultimate Hood.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    No, Kong is.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Ultimate Hood will be some random thug in a hoodie yelling something at the police station.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Ultimate Comics panel from CCC.

Not much new info. The whole mutant registration act will be referenced in UCSM. And still no new info on any more UC titles sans New Ultimates. I'm still hoping they give Ed Brubaker an ongoing or at least a mini in the UC universe, assuming he'd want to write it.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    that dude in the preview dosen't look anything like the Mysterio from USM Annual #3

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Balefuego wrote: »
    that dude in the preview dosen't look anything like the Mysterio from USM Annual #3

meh he looks similar. Head all smoky and magical and stuff.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Ultimate Comics panel from CCC.

Not much new info. The whole mutant registration act will be referenced in UCSM. And still no new info on any more UC titles sans New Ultimates. I'm still hoping they give Ed Brubaker an ongoing or at least a mini in the UC universe, assuming he'd want to write it.

Millar did hint at the artists for future Ultimate Avengers arcs:

Arc 1: Pacheco
    Arc 2: Leinil Yu (he should just draw the whole series that way there would be no delays)
    Arc 3: Someone they can't name yet (probably Quesada)
    Arc 4: Artist who sold the most issues this decade. Which means either McNiven or Todd Nauck (he did the ASM Obama issue and that sold more than Civil War did)

TexiKen on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Is it me or is Spider-Man less funny these days? He used to crack wittier jokes in the 90s.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It depends entirely on who's writing him at the time.

Slott's Spidey or Fraction's Spidey or Bendis' Spidey are all really funny.

Bob Gale's Spidey not so much

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]