Options

OMEGATHON THREAD! (Bow down before your OMEGA-MASTERS)

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The PC room is not open to non-competitors, it wasn't last year, and especially with a game like that where outside help would be undesirable. They only allowed us +1s in there for Peggle, and not even that when the game was actually on.

Looks like I'll be rooting for eyeshuh this year, good luck. :^:

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    Just popping in to say that I think Connect Four may not be the best choice. At first it sounds neat, but unfortunately Connect Four has been solved.

People who are chosen to be Omeganauts are surely going to be doing their research about all the games to be played. And once they find out that the person who goes first in Connect Four can force a win, there is likely to be some protesting.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Thanks Infidel! XD

Yeah...I actually just read up a little more tonight, and the person going second has a good shot at forcing a tie game if both players know what they're doing.

TOTALLY GOING TO BE SURPRISE JENGA.

eye-shuh on
  • Options
    devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Rythym game ideas:

That new rockstar one
    Rock Band Unplugged
    DJ Hero
    Rock Band Beatles
    Guitar Hero 5, with the DS tie in

deveric on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The Geek wrote: »
    Just popping in to say that I think Connect Four may not be the best choice. At first it sounds neat, but unfortunately Connect Four has been solved.

People who are chosen to be Omeganauts are surely going to be doing their research about all the games to be played. And once they find out that the person who goes first in Connect Four can force a win, there is likely to be some protesting.

This is a very legitimate concern and I think they need to reconsider. Sadly, it is neat but yeah...

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    There are ways to modify or restrict Connect Four to keep it competitive, though. Different number of rows or columns, or a carefully-constructed starting position, can give both players a chance to win -- but in most cases also a guaranteed way to play to a draw.

Most of the winning strategies seem to come down to
    (1) creating a board position where if your opponent plays a checker in one or two columns, you will play on top of their checker and win
    (2) forcing your opponent to eventually play one of those losing columns by mimicing every move they make, playing on top of every checker they play until every column EXCEPT a losing column is full

Unfortunately if both players know the strategies, if the game is fair then every game will play to stalemate. If one player knows the strategy and the other player doesn't, the game will be as ridiculously lopsided as a Tetris game where one person doesn't know how to play.

That may not be a serious problem, except the strategies are extremely easy to learn. Connect Four isn't THAT much more complex than Tic-Tac-Toe, in that regard.

(To be clear, I have no input into anything Omegathon related and haven't been in communication with anyone about this. I just did some research and made a post. This is not official and shouldn't be taken as any sort of hint about any Omegathon game being in or out.)

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    chupamiubrechupamiubre Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Woot got my passes.

Does anyone know if they mail the omeganaut pass or just get it at pax?

paxpass2009.jpg

chupamiubre on
    <ZeroHourHero> I have a tiny penis
    <Qs23> I just need to get my dicks in a row
    <prox> i work for dicks
    #paforums_pax, all about the dicks.
  • Options
    shugaraeshugarae Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    jdarksun wrote: »
    In '07, you got let in early and met with the other Omeganauts to get your pass.

Same in '08 :D

shugarae on
    Omeganaut class of '08. Fuck Peggle. Omeganaut class of '17 West. Fuck Rainbow Road.
    The Best in Terms of Pants on JCCC3
  • Options
    LokialeLokiale \o/ Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    They let Omeganauts into PAX early?

Lokiale on
    East 2012 checklist: Hotel [X] Travel [X] Pass [X] Make All The Friends [ ]
    2009 Omeganaut
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Lokiale wrote: »
    They let Omeganauts into PAX early?
    Yup. In previous years, you also got to jump lines to get into panels and whatnot.

And it's fucking sweet, got to check out the floor show an hour before opening and talk with some devs.

They also let me and three Omeganauts cut the line at Rock Band 2 later in the day to get up on stage and play. :D

You and your +1 get special access to some things and lines, which is awesome but also fair because you have a tight schedule to keep sometimes and it's a bitch not being able to check things out just because you can't afford to wait in line because an event is in an hour or whatever.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    None of you can see this (and you should be glad) but I'm doing a happy dance. A happy Omegadance

Lokiale on
    2009 Omeganaut
  • Options
    awitelintstaawitelintsta Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    We seriously get to jump lines? o_O Now that is some freaking perquisite.

Also, what is this +1 thing? We get to choose an official sidekick or something?

awitelintsta on
    http://awitelintsta.gamerdna.com/
    Roleplayer, Pirate, and 2009 Omeganaut :D
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If any of you Omeganauts or Shitternauts don't have a +1... I would greatly enjoy making my first PAX the one where I can sit right up next to the stage.

Just something to think about :D

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    DeusTrinitasDeusTrinitas Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    If any of you Omeganauts or Shitternauts don't have a +1... I would greatly enjoy making my first PAX the one where I can sit right up next to the stage.

LOL. I'll make that motion as well. If any of you Omeganauts don't already have a +1 spot taken, I'll gladly fill it and be your #1 crazed fan during the Omegathon. :)

DeusTrinitas on
  • Options
    bl00kbl00k Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

why would I pick you to be my +1 after calling us shitternauts?

bl00k on
    [-F69-]bl00k
    The Fighting 69th
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    bl00k wrote: »

why would I pick you to be my +1 after calling us shitternauts?

Because those Omeganauts that are considered "Twitter Shitters" understand the name is endearing, not insulting.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The +1 is a person who gets to share your VIP privileges for the weekend. (so, yes, they are totally your sidekick lawls)

Choose wisely!

eye-shuh on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Well in that case, since my husband is keeping the couch at home warm for me, I guess that makes me currently sidekick-less. Hmm.

awitelintsta on
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well in that case, since my husband is keeping the couch at home warm for me, I guess that makes me currently sidekick-less. Hmm.

Ooo! Choose me! ...I can give you an awesome Sidekick resume!

It won't be scented since it will be via PM or EMail, but I could Express Mail it to you!

....Or, you can choose other folks who claimed dibs. No matter. Just wanted to throw my safari hat in the ring.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    DeusTrinitasDeusTrinitas Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Ooo! Choose me! ...I can give you an awesome Sidekick resume!

It won't be scented since it will be via PM or EMail, but I could Express Mail it to you!

....Or, you can choose other folks who claimed dibs. No matter. Just wanted to throw my safari hat in the ring.

Hey, I thought it was worth a try, as did GPIA7R! I mean, who wouldn't want a personal sidekick and cheerer for all the Omegathon goodness? *wink-wink* ;)

DeusTrinitas on
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hey, I thought it was worth a try, as did GPIA7R! I mean, who wouldn't want a personal sidekick and cheerer for all the Omegathon goodness? *wink-wink* ;)

I'm right there with you!

CaptainTapole on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

You could throw a short contest on the forums to determine your +1 =)

You don't know anyone else who is going at all? =(

Rius on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'll submit 20 boxes of Pocky toward my bribe for bring a +1.

;)

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Rius wrote: »
    You could throw a short contest on the forums to determine your +1 =)

You don't know anyone else who is going at all? =(

I really and truly don't, at least not anyone who isn't working on the floor during most hours. *laughs* It's opening weekend for Oklahoma State football, so my husband's at home with our season tickets (Go Pokes!). And originally a guildie of mine was going too, but backed out months ago. So it's just my solo adventure party at this point!

A contest, eh? Hmmm. That sounds devious. I like the way you think.

awitelintsta on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    A contest, eh? Hmmm. That sounds devious. I like the way you think.

If you do decide on contest, then you should decide what the contest is/rules & terms/etc. Since we are the ones who have to impress you.

Or if you just want the contest for everyone's amusement is fine as well.

CaptainTapole on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    If you do decide on contest, then you should decide what the contest is/rules & terms/etc. Since we are the ones who have to impress you.

I'll have to think of something suitably amusing to all involved. Stand by.

awitelintsta on
  • Options
    The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Red 5 standing by

The_Reflection on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I vote for whoever tells you the funniest joke. Or has the best t-shirt for the weekend. Oh! Or who can give all the Omeganauts something awesome.... XD

eye-shuh on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I was the first to mention it! That's gotta be worth something!

I could give all the 'nauts some pocky... or bawls... or something.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    Bob JackassBob Jackass Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    How about a contest of writing mock game reviews of all the Omegathon games, in either the style of Hunter S. Thompson or Dr. Seuss. Bonus points for mixing both flavors.

Bob Jackass on
    Check out my actual, real life rock band!

Xbox Live - Bob Jackass || Playstation - Cosby__Sweater || Steam - Bob Jackass

Twitter
  • Options
    The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    How about a contest for making the worst video using a stuffed animal of a sea creature wearing a wacky hat from a foreign country?

The_Reflection on
  • Options
    chupamiubrechupamiubre Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    PAXOmegathon

"So pissed at Mario Cart I am thinking of Jenga. This is BS and it is bad to go to bed this tucked off."

For the love of god no.

chupamiubre on
    <ZeroHourHero> I have a tiny penis
    <Qs23> I just need to get my dicks in a row
    <prox> i work for dicks
    #paforums_pax, all about the dicks.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    My +1 is probably the most likely +1 to forget to cheer for me... and possibly forget that she's in Seattle at all... (no not the spaciest person I know at all, of course not)

The power of friendship! :wink: All kidding aside I'm glad that they let us have a plus one. Early birthday gift for my pal o'buddy o' mine

If they're going to scratch Mario Kart they should replace it with something like dodgeball. Much more painful than Jenga!

Lokiale on
    2009 Omeganaut
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Okay, tell you what I'm gonna do here.

First, a few ground rules:
    1. You have to be able to attend PAX for the entire duration, just in case you're needed.
    2. You must be able to at least manage a good "YARR!" every now and again. I am a pirate, after all.
    3. If I ever lose heart during the Omegathon, you are required to inspire me by asking "What would Sailor Moon do?" And when I ask what, the answer is, "Be a ditz."

If you can handle that, here is the competition.

Most hilarious caption for the following image will receive fame, glory, and the honor of being my +1. If I make it to the end of the Omegathon due to your unwavering support, I will buy you a drink.

Image:
    spongebob.jpg

Good luck.

awitelintsta on
  • Options
    Bob JackassBob Jackass Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This should be good. :D

Bob Jackass on
    Check out my actual, real life rock band!

Xbox Live - Bob Jackass || Playstation - Cosby__Sweater || Steam - Bob Jackass

Twitter
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    FUCK! I SUCK at Caption Contests, but I will do my best!

Is there a deadline? Assuming that there is.

CaptainTapole on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

I'll give a couple days for this... until midnight Pacific time on Thursday. Leaves the winner about two weeks to squee over their good fortune. :P

You can post your submission here or PM me, either one. PMing ensures that no one will see your answer, if you're paranoid about being copied and one-upped.

Also, if you think of something funny today and you send it along, and then tomorrow something more brilliant strikes you, go ahead and post/PM it if you want. Your last submission will be the one that counts in my head.

awitelintsta on
  • Options
    PunkJrPunkJr Decepticon Infiltrator Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

I'll give a couple days for this... until midnight Pacific time on Thursday. Leaves the winner about two weeks to squee over their good fortune. :P

You can post your submission here or PM me, either one. PMing ensures that no one will see your answer, if you're paranoid about being copied and one-upped.

Also, if you think of something funny today and you send it along, and then tomorrow something more brilliant strikes you, go ahead and post/PM it if you want. Your last submission will be the one that counts in my head.

Hah, this is going to be awesome!!

PunkJr on
    daaeZs9.png
    PunkJr
    Pirate, Stormtrooper, Decepticon
    Yes, my middle name really is MEGATRON
    Former Ravenclaw Death Eaters Head of House
  • Options
    RandomfoolRandomfool loofmodnar Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sweet, I didn't know we get a sidekick either.

I don't know anyone else going to PAX so I suppose I'll have to find a willing soul as well.

Randomfool on
    I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'm up to three submissions. As to their quality, I can say with certainty that I have laughed today. :mrgreen: Y'all are my heroes for humoring me.

awitelintsta on
This discussion has been closed.