Options

Team Fortress Thread: Evidently I am piss poor at updating these titles.

• Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Scouts die in 2 shotgun hits right now anyways and pyros should be raping soldiers at point-blank

Robman on
  • Options
    ebotasticebotastic Going Gonzo In People's HeartsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    Scouts die in 2 shotgun hits right now anyways and pyros should be raping soldiers at point-blank

Hehehe.

I had a bad night as pyro the other night. This one soldier I kept getting the drop on at close range killed me five times with crit rockets over the course of only two maps. Only one of those was from a kritzkrieg. And it's not like he was ripping up my team and getting a crit bonus or anything, the stars just aligned for him.

ebotastic on
    Please, call me ebo.
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You should get points for putting out fires with the airblast. I was motherfucking smokey bear earlier on king of the hill.

Also, nothing in the game, and I mean nothing, is more satisfying than juggling an ubered medic four times then fire axing him the second his feet touch the floor. BA-BAM motherfucker.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    xzzy wrote: »
    davincie wrote: »
    FightTest wrote: »
    All-talk is okay sometimes.

Low player count = all-talk okay.
    High player count = all-talk might be okay, depends on how many egomaniacs are on.
    One of the ladies is playing = all-talk not okay, server full of nerds cyber-macking is unbearable.

Pretty good totp imo.

I have never heard anyone try and hit on a girl on the PA servers.

Its happened, and as always its creepy to hear and unsuccessful

The problem I have with alltalk and girls on the PA server is that the girl never fucking shuts up.

And by girls, I mean Asiina.

Well sometimes when there is alltalk none of you guys shut up either! :x

YggiDee on
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    ebotastic wrote: »
    Idoliside wrote: »
    On average, every minute 75 items are given out, and 1 hat, for 8000 people....

I feel like im in the worlds most pointless lottery.

On average? That means 1 hat per every 133 hours or so per person. I'm really due a hat. :evil:

Im just going by the Idler statistics, sometimes a whole 8 minutes goes by without anyone getting a hat, then suddenly 3 happen at once.

We're all due at least one random hat by now.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    shooting at your feet is different from shooting with the barrel of your gun clipping inside the enemy
    I'm curious as to the functional difference between shooting a rocket at your feet to rocketjump and shooting a rocket at your feet to damage people around you. Aside from crouchjumping for the former, there is no difference. They were clearly trying to fix the first and ruined the second.

And what's this about your gun clipping into enemies? You know that pyros don't have to be grinding your rocket launcher to do damage, right? There basically are no instances where you should be running up right next to a soldier in order to fight him, and this shouldn't become a strategy thanks to a bug.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Idling more doesn't increase your chances, its completely and totally random

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    ebotastic wrote: »
    On average, every minute 75 items are given out, and 1 hat, for 8000 people....

I feel like im in the worlds most pointless lottery.

On average? That means 1 hat per every 133 hours or so per person. I'm really due a hat. :evil:

Im just going by the Idler statistics, sometimes a whole 8 minutes goes by without anyone getting a hat, then suddenly 3 happen at once.

We're all due at least one random hat by now.

Yeah, it's discouraging. I think I have more hours logged into the idler than playing the game and I still don't have any hats.
    Untitled-2.jpg

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Idling more doesn't increase your chances, its completely and totally random

it doesn't increase the possibility, but the probability

ie

getting more chances to roll a die doesn't increase the possibility of rolling a six

however, the more chances to roll means you will have a higher probability of rolling a six

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Well yeah, thats what I mean.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    In otherwords, play TF2, you get a chance, don't play, no hat for you.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    shooting at your feet is different from shooting with the barrel of your gun clipping inside the enemy
    I'm curious as to the functional difference between shooting a rocket at your feet to rocketjump and shooting a rocket at your feet to damage people around you. Aside from crouchjumping for the former, there is no difference. They were clearly trying to fix the first and ruined the second.

And what's this about your gun clipping into enemies? You know that pyros don't have to be grinding your rocket launcher to do damage, right? There basically are no instances where you should be running up right next to a soldier in order to fight him, and this shouldn't become a strategy thanks to a bug.

You're reading way too much into what I was saying. I was just giving a programming possibility for why things are the way they are. I'm not talking about playstyles or proper reactions, I'm talking about code. My best guess, without actually having access to the code or knowing anything about the game internals, goes something like:

Old situation:
    a) Soldier fires rocket.
    b) Rocket explodes somewhere, game runs a line of sight check for all players.
    c) If player is within range and in line of sight, they take splash damage.
    d) If player is not, no damage.

The problem a logic like this generates is if a friendly player "blocks" the splash damage, the firing soldier cannot rocket jump.

The fix:
    a) Soldier fires rocket.
    b) If rocket detonates within some specified interval, game concludes it is an attempted rocket jump and short circuits splash damage detection. Only the firing soldier takes damage.
    c) If rocket detonates outside specified interval, resume old behavior.

It's a classic "quick fix", avoid the broken code entirely by putting in a new branch and writing your own logic. Saves the trouble of troubleshooting old code, lets programmer get on with his day.

What the fix does not take into account is that sometimes the soldier shoots stuff at enemies at close range. This is a relatively rare situation, most soldier rockets intended for enemies are aimed at medium to long range. Programmer does not take into account that sometimes a soldier will be willing to injure himself to inflict splash damage on a nearby enemy.

Moral of the story: calm the fuck down.

xzzy on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    In other words, I have way to much fun stabbing/shooting/burning/exploding mans to notice a hat the vast majority of the time.

Robman on
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Basil wrote: »
    Discussion is what separates us from animals.

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk.

420 errday

edit..

I'm not talking hardcore hitting on someone, just people going eye-rollingly out of their way to engage the bearer of vagina in unnecessary conversation.

i go out of my way to mock women in the servers. except viv. viv dont give a fuck.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2009

You're reading way too much into what I was saying. I was just giving a programming possibility for why things are the way they are. I'm not talking about playstyles or proper reactions, I'm talking about code. My best guess, without actually having access to the code or knowing anything about the game internals, goes something like:

Old situation:
    a) Soldier fires rocket.

The problem a logic like this generates is if a friendly player "blocks" the splash damage, the firing soldier cannot rocket jump.

The fix:
    a) Soldier fires rocket.
    b) If rocket detonates within some specified interval, game concludes it is an attempted rocket jump and short circuits splash damage detection. Only the firing soldier takes damage.

It's a classic "quick fix", avoid the broken code entirely by putting in a new branch and writing your own logic. Saves the trouble of troubleshooting old code, lets programmer get on with his day.

What the fix does not take into account is that sometimes the soldier shoots stuff at enemies at close range. This is a relatively rare situation, most soldier rockets intended for enemies are aimed at medium to long range. Programmer does not take into account that sometimes a soldier will be willing to injure himself to inflict splash damage on a nearby enemy.

The point is that your explanation of
    Probably when they tried to fix rocket jumping so nearby allies didn't mess up your jump, they broke point blank shots. My guess is that their "fix" was a timer. For, say, 0.1 seconds after firing a rocket, the rocket detonation will only run its hit detection on the player that fired it.

In theory this isn't a terrible idea, it's fairly rare for a soldier to be shooting at point blank. I'd question that anyone would notice this effect in normal play
    is laughable for the second of two reasons:
    1) Based on this "timer", a rocket jump around teammates is indistinguishable from a rocket-to-the-feet around enemies. If that was indeed their fix, then you give Valve even less credit than I do. However, it does make sense based on the results.
    2) You said it's fairly rare for a soldier to be shooting at point blank, and that this wouldn't be noticed in normal play.

To (2) I countered with the pyro example, and you started talking about gun models clipping the inside of the pyro and HARGLBARGLGHAMRLG

And then somehow you entirely ignored this portion of your argument (a sensible choice) and went back to the timer idea

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Also, nothing in the game, and I mean nothing, is more satisfying than juggling an ubered medic four times then fire axing him the second his feet touch the floor. BA-BAM motherfucker.

I disagree. Airblasting an uber'd medic off the center of Nucleus and then watching the now un-uber'd heavy get pummeled from all sides is far more satisfying.

travathian on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    Woo. Though I've been playing on pubs recently because alltalk seems to be on a whole lot of the time in the PA servers.
    I can't tell if this is a joke post

I don't think it is, the last few times I played John "forgot" to turn off alltalk. >:[

It's coo though, his server crashed not too long later and no more alltalk!
    I meant more about avoiding alltalk by going on pubs
    tofu wrote: »
    I can understand not liking alltalk, but to dislike it so much to join a pub instead is crazy.

There are some pubs with decent regulars and that generally have a good atmosphere. To be honest, they are not too much of a step down in terms of play quality from PA servers. It really helps when you filter out all of the 32-man and fast respawn servers.

And, as I've said before, I do enjoy being able to coordinate with my team. That aspect is more than enough to make up the difference. I guess this makes me a homosexual, according to Nuzak. Which we all know is an insult of the highest order.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Old situation:
    a) Soldier fires rocket.

The fix:
    a) Soldier fires rocket.

The point is that your explanation of
    Probably when they tried to fix rocket jumping so nearby allies didn't mess up your jump, they broke point blank shots. My guess is that their "fix" was a timer. For, say, 0.1 seconds after firing a rocket, the rocket detonation will only run its hit detection on the player that fired it.

In theory this isn't a terrible idea, it's fairly rare for a soldier to be shooting at point blank. I'd question that anyone would notice this effect in normal play
    is laughable for the second of two reasons:
    1) Based on this "timer", a rocket jump around teammates is indistinguishable from a rocket-to-the-feet around enemies. If that was indeed their fix, then you give Valve even less credit than I do. However, it does make sense based on the results.
    2) You said it's fairly rare for a soldier to be shooting at point blank, and that this wouldn't be noticed in normal play.

To (2) I countered with the pyro example, and you started talking about gun models clipping the inside of the pyro and HARGLBARGLGHAMRLG

And then somehow you entirely ignored this portion of your argument (a sensible choice) and went back to the timer idea

I ignored it because it's stupid to argue. The 'gun clipping into the enemy' was a bit of hyperbole to describe how close you have to be to trigger the no-damage bug.

So again: calm the fuck down.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    travathian wrote: »

I disagree. Airblasting an uber'd medic off the center of Nucleus and then watching the now un-uber'd heavy get pummeled from all sides is far more satisfying.

I also disagree. The best is ubersawing a medic to death, then ubersawing his heavy to death, then using that kruber you just built up on a soldier that wandered over and killing 3 more people.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I haven't played since the update.

What'd the break?

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    TK-42-1 wrote: »
    travathian wrote: »

I also disagree. The best is ubersawing a medic to death, then ubersawing his heavy to death, then using that kruber you just built up on a soldier that wandered over and killing 3 more people.

Someone posted a screenshot recently of me ubersawing a sniper on the cp of the snowy koth map. It was a good day.

edit - http://i30.tinypic.com/zo9u2t.jpg ohhhhh yeah.

edit edit - oh heh it wasn't using the saw. that was all blutsauger.

xzzy on
  • Options
    WhatWhat Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    UEAKCrash wrote: »

What'd the break?

Pretty much Soldiers as you can see from the clip. Our rocket jumps are gay as fart now and WELP.

(It's not that bad really, I'm sure they'll fix it. I'm just being a nerd.)

What on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    alltalk basically makes a PA server a pub

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    What wrote: »

What'd the break?

Pretty much Soldiers as you can see from the clip. Our rocket jumps are gay as fart now and WELP.

its not crippling, but you still lose like 5-6ft on a jump. just makes it more frustrating

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

A pub full of people who aren't dicks (most of the time), know what they are doing, and are there to have some fun.

So pretty much not like a pub at all.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    TK-42-1 wrote: »
    What wrote: »

What'd the break?

its not crippling, but you still lose like 5-6ft on a jump. just makes it more frustrating

Can't rocket jump up to the roof on gravelpit point B, or up to C. That's the only place I've really noticed any problems.. but I'm not exactly a pro rocket jumper.

xzzy on
  • Options
    CutfangCutfang Dancing Bagel WalessssssssRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    One downside to the ubersaw, now that every medic uses it other players expect a medic to come charging at them for delicious uberness. Before, a brave but suicidal medic could get away with charging their surprised foe and gaining a kill or two.

Also all this talk of idling and hats has led me to try out the tf2 idler, despite my anti-hat views 10 pages back. I have succumbed to mild peer pressure and also I suspect, am a hypocrite.

Cutfang on
    Dancing Bagel
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So wait, does that mean that if I'm a soldier and an enemy runs up right next to me, there's a good chance that any rockets I fire off in a panic will only damage me while leaving the attacker that is about to maul me completely untouched?

jothki on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Cutfang wrote: »
    One downside to the ubersaw, now that every medic uses it other players expect a medic to come charging at them for delicious uberness. Before, a brave but suicidal medic could get away with charging their surprised foe and gaining a kill or two.

Also all this talk of idling and hats has led me to try out the tf2 idler, despite my anti-hat views 10 pages back. I have succumbed to mild peer pressure and also I suspect, am a hypocrite.

no one truly expects the austrian inquisition

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Did I miss the daily-make-fun-of-rak post yet?

I've been at my first day of work all day. (first time in forevar).

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Cutfang wrote: »

It won't do you any good and no good medics play like that.

Most only go in for the ubersaw if they are 90% sure it will kill them and they are relatively close/safe.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    jothki wrote: »
    So wait, does that mean that if I'm a soldier and an enemy runs up right next to me, there's a good chance that any rockets I fire off in a panic will only damage me while leaving the attacker that is about to maul me completely untouched?

There's not enough testing to know in what situations a rocket won't do any damage.

Find someone to get on an empty server with you, have them stand at different ranges, and shoot rockets at your feet. See what happens.

xzzy on
  • Options
    MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I haven't personally tried since the patch, but I'm sure you can't rocket-jump from the first floor to the attic in well anymore. Which is pretty bad since soldiers are the only ones who can get up there with >60% health on short notice.

For some reason the Prussian Pickelhaube has the flame texture in my game(the texture that overlays characters who are on fire). It's not as cool as it sounds, instead of looking like they're wearing flaming hats, medics just look like they have the heavy's Jayne-hat(which is still kind of cool).

Mars on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    another great round

p.s. valve fucked up a lot of stuff while adding the good stuff

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I like it when there is a lot of chatter, it makes things so entertaining.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    another great round

p.s. valve fucked up a lot of stuff while adding the good stuff

CALM DOWN THERE

tyrannus on
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    With new hats I feel it appropriate to post this again.

20050422hbbn-1.jpg

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Mars wrote: »
    I haven't personally tried since the patch, but I'm sure you can't rocket-jump from the first floor to the attic in well anymore. Which is pretty bad since soldiers are the only ones who can get up there with >60% health on short notice.

For some reason the Prussian Pickelhaube has the flame texture in my game(the texture that overlays characters who are on fire). It's not as cool as it sounds, instead of looking like they're wearing flaming hats, medics just look like they have the heavy's Jayne-hat(which is still kind of cool).

This is a directx 8 bug iirc.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

A pub full of people who aren't dicks (most of the time), know what they are doing, and are there to have some fun.

Depends who's on. Theres a few people who won't shut the fuck up, and theres a couple morons who always whine about their team sucking.

You know who you are, shuttup.

High player count = all-talk might be okay, depends on how many egomaniacs are on.
    One of the ladies is playing = all-talk not okay, server full of nerds cyber-macking is unbearable.

Pretty good totp imo.

Thats actually how I figured out Viv was a lady, cause some tool flirting with her.

Because I've never heard anyone ever actually say anything nice to Asiina, I am still convinced he/she is a 12 year old boy with a gland problem.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    davinciedavincie Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Kris_xK wrote: »

Depends who's on. Theres a few people who won't shut the fuck up, and theres a couple morons who always whine about their team sucking.

You know who you are, shuttup.

Pretty good totp imo.

Thats actually how I figured out Viv was a lady, cause some tool flirting with her.

Because I've never heard anyone ever actually say anything nice to Asiina, I am still convinced he/she is a 12 year old boy with a gland problem.
    A very canadian one, I also have no idea who viv is.

davincie on
    20qx2bp.jpg