As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sen. Ted Kennedy dies at 77

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    RIP Ted Kennedy, we are not to see your like again.

And a lot of the circumstances in 1980 where of Carter's own making. Even then Reagan had to pander to the racists and spread vile rumor about a "October suprise" .

Kennedy might have had it different. He sure as hell would have fought back, tooth and nail.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hachface wrote: »

Was there an entire department at the Times preparing for this man's death?

(probably)
    The major papers don't get caught flat-footed on this kind of thing. The more prominent they are, the older they live to, and the more expected the death, the more writer's-magnum-opus the obituary gets.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »
    I don't really buy that. Reagan only won by eight points, and Carter was a spectacularly terrible politician considering the level he ascended to.

Sort of more interesting to think about what the result of a Kennedy win in 72 might've been. Watergate never happens, the Great Society keeps chugging along, and nearly an entire generation develops a different view about government.

That is a sweet fantasy. Canada except bigger and richer.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Holy shit, I mean, I'd almost even forgotten he'd been sick since his stroke last year. I can't believe he'd held on for this long.

This is really fucking sad. I didn't even have any idea how much he'd done in the Senate and how many bills he pushed through until I read the NYT obit....important ones, too, not just The Rainbows are Pretty Act of 1985. It's jarring to lose someone as effective as that, especially during this time where we're as close to healthcare reform as we've ever been.

I am certain his death will be a huge bludgeon against the opponents of reform, but honestly, I doubt that it will serve to be as potent against the nutters as needed. I mean, Fox need only (and has been) focus on the womanizing, the alcoholism, and Chappaquiddick to lessen the impact and significance of his death after a long (Reaaaally long, considering the severity of the tumor) battle with brain cancer. Which is, of course, deplorable, but this is all that is needed to keep the anti-reformers content with themselves in dismissing just what Teddy's death means.

He will be missed :(

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Nixon in 72 was much more of a sure thing than Reagan was in 1980.

72 was ridiculous.

Duki on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    I would absolutely describe him as lovable

and womanizing? that rules out practically all politicians and statistically a hell of a lot of the population as a whole

it's just sex
    You know who had a shitty personal life?

FDR.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Duki wrote: »

72 was ridiculous.

He was an incumbent. Before Carter you had to go to Hoover and the depression for a one term president.

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    R.I.P. Teddy. Huge loss, especially right now. You'll be missed.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    I was gonna write up a big post about Ted Kennedy and how living in Massachusetts make the Kennedys look like immortal figures, but I decided against it.

I think Ted Kennedy's career speaks for itself.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    :(

Day to the date of his apperance in the Democratic Convention.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    :(

Day to the date of his apperance in the Democratic Convention.

Wow. At least he got a last dance.

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Fox will spin this with his letter to try and reverse the special election law that he helped pushed forward as liberal hypocricy.

psychotix on
  • Options
    clownfoodclownfood packet pusher in the wallsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Somewhere Jello Biafra has noticed a sizable increase in airplay.

clownfood on
    photo-4798.jpg?_r=1355437546
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    psychotix wrote: »
    Fox will spin this with his letter to try and reverse the special election law that he helped pushed forward as liberal hypocricy.
    Honestly, that was pretty bullshit. They pushed the law through to prevent a Republican governor from choosing a replacement were Kerry to have won the presidency, then Kennedy wanted it repealed so a Democratic governor could appoint a replacement in order to maintain the supermajority without a lag period of only 59 senators.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Thank you for linking that AH.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Fox are talking more about LOL HE WAS A FAT DRUNK WHO KILLED A PRETTY WHITE WOMAN etc

Robman on
  • Options
    Hockey JohnstonHockey Johnston Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    To me, TK is one of those great examples of how you can still change the whole trajectory of your life in your 40s or 50s. And by sticking with it and remaining committed, your mistakes and shortcomings mean less and less.

He may not have deserved his seat early on, but he'd more than earned it by the time he died.

Hockey Johnston on
  • Options
    AlejandroDaJAlejandroDaJ Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Rest in peace, Senator Kennedy. Sunset of a bygone era.

This made me sadder than I thought possible. For some reason I wasn't even expecting it, despite the fact that it was all but a forgone conclusion. Man.

His son's Congressional office is a few blocks away from me, I may stop by to pay my condolences despite the fact that Pat is in (cough) rehab right now. Any other DC PA'ers planning on doing the same?

AlejandroDaJ on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    clownfood wrote: »
    Somewhere Jello Biafra has noticed a sizable increase in airplay.

Ouch.

That's way worse than the 'lolbama death panels couldn't get Ted' joke I was gonna force.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ruined my day completely when I woke up and saw this. He was a truly Great Man. Its a blow not only to his family and his supporters but the country. He made the United States a better place and he stood up for everyone who needed help. He's been demonized by conservatives since the Civil Rights Act and let that identify the true worth of those who still demonize him today.

Ultimately he's irreplaceable. We'll elect a liberal here in Massachusetts to take his seat. If we get really lucky it'll be someone who looks to Teddy's example and has courage and strength of conviction. And he or she might even aspire to someday to be as capable a legislator. But no one could replace the Lion.

72 was ridiculous.

Only because he was the incumbent. RFK beats him in 1968 if he wasn't assassinated. Teddy would have beaten Carter and probably Reagan in 76 and 80 if not for you-know-what
    His son's Congressional office is a few blocks away from me, I may stop by to pay my condolences despite the fact that Pat is in (cough) rehab right now. Any other DC PA'ers planning on doing the same?
    Yeah Pat unfortunately has all his father's faults and few of those attributes that made him Great.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I guess I was never really exposed much to the history of the guy like you guys were this isn't really impacting me at all.

He was just a Kennedy in the Senate to me.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

72 was ridiculous.
    72 ended up as ridiculous. McGovern was initially 4-7 points behind Nixon.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I would not be shocked to see Barney Frank in that seat, as much as I fucking hate Frank.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    psychotix wrote: »
    Honestly, that was pretty bullshit. They pushed the law through to prevent a Republican governor from choosing a replacement were Kerry to have won the presidency, then Kennedy wanted it repealed so a Democratic governor could appoint a replacement in order to maintain the supermajority without a lag period of only 59 senators.

Indeed, and it's going to bite them in the ass now.

psychotix on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I would not be shocked to see Barney Frank in that seat, as much as I fucking hate Frank.
    Why do you hate Barney Frank? Are you a kitchen table?

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Guys were saying early in the thread that they wondered how Fox News would spin this. I just tuned in and they had their female anchor talking about how if you go to Fox News' website you can see an interactive timeline of Ted Kennedy's life and career and it shows different screens from it including his date of birth, announcing his senate run, being elected, JFK being assassinated, plane crash he hurt his back in, RFK being assassinated, and then the last screen they show before going back to the news desk is "Televised Address" and in the description it says Kennedy delivers a televised address to explain his actions at Chappaquiddick.

Now, maybe I just like to be conspiratorial, but they couldn't have ended their little feature before that screen? They had to end it on that?

Goose! on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Barney Frank becomming a US Senator would be awesome, especially since he seems like the kind of guy that sticks to his convictions.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Barney Frank becomming a US Senator would be awesome, especially since he seems like the kind of guy that sticks to his convictions.

Frank might be too much of a firebrand for the Senate. I think it'll either be a Kennedy (Joe probably) or Delahunt.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    PantsB wrote: »

Frank might be too much of a firebrand for the Senate. I think it'll either be a Kennedy (Joe probably) or Delahunt.

Kennedy was a firebrand, so shouldn't be a problem.

psychotix on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ruined my day completely when I woke up and saw this. He was a truly Great Man. Its a blow not only to his family and his supporters but the country. He made the United States a better place and he stood up for everyone who needed help. He's been demonized by conservatives since the Civil Rights Act and let that identify the true worth of those who still demonize him today.

Ultimately he's irreplaceable. We'll elect a liberal here in Massachusetts to take his seat. If we get really lucky it'll be someone who looks to Teddy's example and has courage and strength of conviction. And he or she might even aspire to someday to be as capable a legislator. But no one could replace the Lion.

72 was ridiculous.

Only because he was the incumbent. RFK beats him in 1968 if he wasn't assassinated. Teddy would have beaten Carter and probably Reagan in 76 and 80 if not for you-know-what
    Yeah Pat unfortunately has all his father's faults and few of those attributes that made him Great.

Your comment about the Civil Rights Act reminds me that all the segregationists are still out there.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009

If Joe Kennedy comes back, the Repubs will go nuts, especially if he gives a shoutout to Venezuela. We should do it.

Hell, I would pay anything to see a Barney Frank/ Joe Kennedy administration.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Frank will be spun into the seat through use of "Look! He's the first openly gay Senator!" to gather him votes from the rest of the liberals. I tried to vote that idiot out of office in '08 but yeah, this is Mass, I knew it was a losing cause.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009

Frank will be spun into the seat through use of "Look! He's the first openly gay Senator!" to gather him votes from the rest of the liberals. I tried to vote that idiot out of office in '08 but yeah, this is Mass, I knew it was a losing cause.

Actually, he'll probably just use footage of that town hall. Seriously, we love it when he does that shit.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

What exactly do you find disagreeable? I say this because he's certainly one of the more well-spoken and fast-witted senators.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    He gay? Cool. I just always assumed he was merely incredibly awesome.

Poor Kennedy. If he is anywhere now I hope it's a place where he can meet his family.

Spoilered because OT
    New media paradigm: trying to pass reform now would be crass and simplistic, while saying that trying to pass reform would be crass is not crass and simplistic.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Holy shit it couldn't have been easy for Ted most of his life. I read the article on CNN, was familiar with his name but not his history. Seems like he lost almost everyone in his family. Five or was it six(!!!) plane crashes? Two assassinations, and then some.

Rest in peace mr Kennedy, looks like you were well liked.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Hockey JohnstonHockey Johnston Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Every time there's a pro marijuana or pro gambling bill that I'm a big fan of, Barney Frank is involved.

Hockey Johnston on
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Derrick wrote: »

What exactly do you find disagreeable? I say this because he's certainly one of the more well-spoken and fast-witted senators.

Frank is still a little too "out there" and a firebrand to hold onto a Senate seat. He's more of a firebrand than Kennedy, much more. Kennedy generally tended to try to work with Republicans when the opportunity and will was actually there. Frank has no interest in appealing to anyone other than his base. It makes it much hard maintain control in an election for Statewide office than in an individual, more local district where people are more familiar with him.

Anyway, to the main subject, I just saw this on the news when I got up this morning. I did not expect this so soon. Kennedy really was one of the last of dying breed of politicians. A twentieth and twenty-first century political icon has been lost and will be missed.

Dalboz on