As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Halo 3: ODST - Prepare To Drop (Out Tuesday)

• Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    that's a fucking cool trailer

Nuzak on
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Whoever decided to can Blomkamp's Halo movie must be kicking themselves now between his three short films, District 9, and that trailer. It could have been so awesome.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    SivrajSivraj Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Okay.

That was really impressive.

Sivraj on
    XBL - Degami | Steam - Degami | Battle.net - Degami #1837 | PSN - Degojin
  • Options
    Hugh JassHugh Jass I'm Squint Eastwood Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wait, he did this trailer too? Why would they keep paying him to make awesome live-action trailers and not fuckin have him do the damn movie!

Hugh Jass on
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm guessing since the odst's name is Tarkov that it's an eastern european language

The brute looks kinda silly and rubberish, but I guess that's because they probably don't have the cgi they used when blomkamp was working on it. Of course he could still be working on these shorts, or it could be another guy and them just using the old props

edit: and beeb Blomkamp and Jackson themselves canned it, which after this feels like a bad move to me but then again the movie would probably be something stupid

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    043043 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hugh Jass wrote: »
    Wait, he did this trailer too? Why would they keep paying him to make awesome live-action trailers and not fuckin have him do the damn movie!

No, he didn't do that trailer. I think it was directed by the guy who directed the Diorama shorts, Blomkamp only did the three Landfall ones.

He has nothing to do with Halo anymore.

Also: Russian.

EDIT: According to a press release from SpikeTV, if this is the "We Are ODST" short they are talking about (with a potential for an extended version later this week?), it was done by Stan Winston Stuidos again (now called Legacy Effects). This wouldn't surprise me, since they did the entire BELIEVE campaign.
    Spike TV wrote:
    Monday, September 7 at 10:30 PM ET/PT
    "HALO 3: ODST" LIVE-ACTION SHORT U.S. PREMIERE DURING SPIKE'S PREMIERE OF
    "BAND OF BROTHERS"
    For the first time in the United States, see the 150 second live-action "Halo
    3: ODST" short. Directed by Rupert Sanders (Halo 3: Believe), viewers are
    immersed in the world of the Orbital Drop Shock Troopers.

Thursday, September 10 at 12:30 AM ET/PT
    "GAMETRAILERS TV WITH GEOFF KEIGHLEY: BEHIND THE SCENES OF 'WE ARE ODST'"
    Tune in for an exclusive behind-the-scenes look at the making of the "We Are
    ODST" short, including a visit to Legacy Effects (formerly Stan Winston
    Studios), the group behind many of the props and animatronic figures used to
    bring the world of "Halo 3: ODST" to life.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DogEightDogEight Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Whoa. That is all.

DogEight on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Having played ODST, I can say that I will very likely be buying it. I got owned by a few wraith hits. Seems the AI is MUCH better at hitting directly then halo 3. You can pull turrets off. (old news likely)

It's bought. I cannot resist.

No, I will not break the disc. No-- I did not break any discs at the bungie side of the microsoft booth.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, I didn't mean that Blomkamp made the trailer. I meant that between this separate trailer and Blomkamp's awesome works, the movie could have been awesome. Guess I just worded it wrong.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    043043 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Having played ODST, I can say that I will very likely be buying it. I got owned by a few wraith hits. Seems the AI is MUCH better at hitting directly then halo 3. You can pull turrets off. (old news likely)

No, I will not break the disc. No-- I did not break any discs at the bungie side of the microsoft booth.

"Man, these waves in Firefight are total bullshit! I'll see you guys in Reach. -snap-"

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That's odd that the spoken language in the trailer is Russian, but the written language is English. It's pretty secondary, but as far as a marketing move it's pretty genius. You don't have to worry about localization if most people don't know what the hell they're saying and the intent of the spoken words is pretty obvious anyway. Damn, that trailer has me totally amped to play ODST now. Gonna have to play me some Halo 3 campaign today.

I'm also really hoping that the tutorial section of the game consists of the your boot camp training. Republic Commando did that and it was pretty involving to get your training by experiencing part of Boss' life as he was actually training.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    043 wrote: »

"Man, these waves in Firefight are total bullshit! I'll see you guys in Reach. -snap-"

Ah, but you access the Reach beta from the main menu of ODST, it just won't be active until sometime in the future. So if he snaps the disc, he wouldn't get the chance to play Reach outside of the possibility of next year's PAX, if it's present.

Also, I'm unsure if I'll be able to get out to East Coast PAX next year, since it seems to be in the middle of next semester. I guess I could always cut out of class for a day or two, but probably shouldn't since next semester's my last one. At the least, I hope to get out to Seattle PAX, since I'll be done with school by then.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I can tell you're all really excited for that new Halo game, but would anyone be interested in playing Halo 2 with me on the PC? My gamertag is Peewi.

Peewi on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think I may have just found the commercial I want to use for my video analysis for my pop culture class :D

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    what language are they yelling in in that clip?

MrDelish on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    MrDelish wrote: »
    what language are they yelling in in that clip?

rusky

filthy red speak
    russian

Nuzak on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I hate Bungie so much right now. I was somewhat ambivalent about this dumb game until I saw that trailer. I mean, I was still going to buy the game, but I wasn't thinking "gee, I wish I had that game right this very second".

My teeth are getting gnashed quite thoroughly with a serenade of wailing.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Peewi wrote: »
    I can tell you're all really excited for that new Halo game, but would anyone be interested in playing Halo 2 with me on the PC? My gamertag is Peewi.
    I've been sitting on every achievement other than these two motherfuckers for the longest time. So if we could run through every gametype and map quickly, I'd be down for that. We could keep every game long enough so that we could have some fun with it, but short enough so that we could get through them all sometime within the next century.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Lork wrote: »
    I've been sitting on every achievement other than these two motherfuckers for the longest time. So if we could run through every gametype and map quickly, I'd be down for that. We could keep every game long enough so that we could have some fun with it, but short enough so that we could get through them all sometime within the next century.

We could do that. I'm playing right now, so just add me to your friends list and invite me to a game.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

We could do that. I'm playing right now, so just add me to your friends list and invite me to a game.
    I'm going to be busy for the next few hours, and we need three players (I know a guy, but he's not on right now), but if you're going to be around later tonight, that could work.

Lork on
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    043 wrote: »

Ah, but you access the Reach beta from the main menu of ODST, it just won't be active until sometime in the future. So if he snaps the disc, he wouldn't get the chance to play Reach outside of the possibility of next year's PAX, if it's present.

ODST comes with 2 disks, so it's still very possible that one gets snapped. Bonus points if Vis mistakes one for the other. :P

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    SnowblindvictimSnowblindvictim Flying casual Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That live trailer is absolutely FuckAwesome Holy fuck

Snowblindvictim on
  • Options
    mrsnackroadmrsnackroad Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Phoneposting, holy shit ODST.

mrsnackroad on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I felt like turning was slower, but then again I've been tryin to up my sensitivity recently so maybe it was just that. You'll be pleased to know that diagonal turret running is still a go.

Also, protip - using a turret will get you killed by wraiths plasma fyi

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hey guys I just got a not crappy internet connection so add me please

my gamertag is s4r1ss

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That live trailer is absolutely FuckAwesome Holy fuck

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Eh, does the combat function any differently from Halo 3 besides you being more squishy with a health bar?

I was under the impression ODST would be a slower, more stealthy/ambush methodical affair. Firefight looks like the ODST's could be interchanged with Spartans. Still can't wait for 4 player LAN Firefight though.

And what the hell is Reach anyway? An MMO?

Blurbl on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Blurbl wrote: »
    Eh, does the combat function any differently from Halo 3 besides you being more squishy with a health bar?

I was under the impression ODST would be a slower, more stealthy/ambush methodical affair. Firefight looks like the ODST's could be interchanged with Spartans. Still can't wait for 4 player LAN Firefight though.

And what the hell is Reach anyway? An MMO?

halo-3-fall-of-reach.jpg

Basically an origin story of the Spartan program.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Reach is an fps, that's all we know. On combat it's supposed to be seperated between the rookie at night and seperate missions via flashbacks, with the night sections more so exploring the hub world and ambushing small groups and the missions being more of the halo style

But yeah there's not much change to firefight other than you need to get health packs and apparently legendary and heroic are butts hard

LookFreeGrenade on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Oh, that reach. Doh.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Reach is an fps, that's all we know. On combat it's supposed to be seperated between the rookie at night and seperate missions via flashbacks, with the night sections more so exploring the hub world and ambushing small groups and the missions being more of the halo style

But yeah there's not much change to firefight other than you need to get health packs and apparently legendary and heroic are butts hard

Thanks. One more thing, there are vehicles in Firefight right? D: Driving is the funnest thing.

On Reach: There's quite a few scenes from the novels that would make excellent levels/cutscenes: The Escapades of Chief and Blue Team; jumping out the pelican mid-orbit above Reach, with 30 other spartans, and hitting the ground at supersonic speeds; the defence of the Dyson Sphere entance on Onyx.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What is the music?

And it doesn't sound like Russian, but I guess yelling masks the accent.

Hoz on
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Pretty sure its Scandinavian. Also, holy fuckawesome

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yeah since it isn't really clear it's hard to tell, context points to eastern europe.

Also warthogs and most vehicles have been confirmed for firefight, no word that I know of on Scorpions/hornets/banshees though

Also Also new bungie news thing http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=BWU090409

LookFreeGrenade on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Heh, I heard of that incident with the sniper rifle prop a few days ago. Pretty funny, but I can't see how someone could think a sniper-like firearm could be an AK-47.

I also like their little ODST Spoiler alert chart.

Spoilarz.jpg

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

I'm going to be busy for the next few hours, and we need three players (I know a guy, but he's not on right now), but if you're going to be around later tonight, that could work.
    Damn, turns out I read the description wrong and we're going to need at least one more player for the achievements. Any takers.

And that ad didn't really impress me too much. That gritty, "only one colour exists in the world, and it is depressing" look just doesn't mix well with Halo, and it makes the aliens look ridiculous. The scenes with brutes, both in this and in Blomkamp's shorts were downright embarrassing.

Lork on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hoz wrote: »
    What is the music?

And it doesn't sound like Russian, but I guess yelling masks the accent.

The music is welsh and the language the ODSTs are speaking is Hungarian.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Holy goddamn, Microsoft/Bungie's marketing always brings their A game, but wow, they surprise me every time.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The brute looks pretty bad, and I'm suprised the brutes in the blomkamp shorts look as bad as they did compared to the good looking District 9

the drop is what got me though

LookFreeGrenade on
  • Options
    mrsnackroadmrsnackroad Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So, the ODST panel at PAX was rather misbalanced in sound, so it was hard to hear, but they talked about some of the design influences in ODST, most notable? Film noir detective stories. The soundtrack is more along those lines, Marty playing a couple tunes for the crowd... Also, a small vid of the VAs farting about in the studio, but sadly no Adam Baldwin.

And joking that the way to fix the BR spread was to remove the BR altogether.

mrsnackroad on
This discussion has been closed.