Options

How [chat] should have ended

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I rather like boddington's pub ale from a can.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Podly wrote: »

You may no longer pass judgement on anything which should involve having taste buds.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Yaaay JSTOR came up with a ton of articles for my paper, hopefully that will make up for the lackluster google and library results.

Yay! I think.

Basically, it be hard to find shit on proletarian novels in the US. Especially hard to find shit that the teacher didn't already assign.

How about EVERY novel written in the US from 1918-1941?

I didn't say it was hard to find novels, now did I?

Then read criticism on the novels, and use the bibliographies from those books.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Honk wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I suppose it could be one of those weird thins to do with local production and/or water. Like how guinness is apparently drinkable in Ireland.
    Any "beer" that needs a god damn mixing ball in the bottle to keep the content liquid is just plain silly.
    I believe the widget is just in there to make it pour more "tap-like."

Thanatos on
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    [Man, people have no fucking clue how to talk about anxiety. Heidegger ftw.

Do you speak Lojban?

Lojban is ridiculous.

Just seemed a logical conclusion to the "these people don't know how to talk" line of thought. I mean, as long as they understand each other, aren't they talking?

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The only thing that will get me drinking lager is the fact that it's cheaper to get a pint of Fosters in college than it is to get a small bottle of coke.

Tav on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

You may no longer pass judgement on anything which should involve having taste buds.

This coming from the person who likes stella

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Boddington's Pub Ale is interesting for the one time I had it if only because of the weird foam its got going on

But I wouldn't get it again

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Do you speak Lojban?

Lojban is ridiculous.

Just seemed a logical conclusion to the "these people don't know how to talk" line of thought. I mean, as long as they understand each other, aren't they talking?

More along the lines of "their physicalism does not give them the structure with which to accurately frame the phenomenon of anxiety"

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I started on Guiness as the first beer I could drink. Slowly moved on to some of the local stuff and really have been pretty picky since then. When in Japan, out with the teachers I would drink the Japanese stuff as little as possible and move to sake when I could. Out with friends usually was a at a bar I could get Kilkenny so I usually stuck to that since their Guiness was meh. They had a bunch of Belgium beer but I always found it way to sweet for my liking. I sometimes would have a Sam Adams but it was way to bitter there compared to the version I would find here in the states and had none of their awesome seasonal brews.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Then read criticism on the novels, and use the bibliographies from those books.

Wouldn't really work for the paper topic I got assigned but thanks for playing.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    I suppose it could be one of those weird thins to do with local production and/or water. Like how guinness is apparently drinkable in Ireland.
    Any "beer" that needs a god damn mixing ball in the bottle to keep the content liquid is just plain silly.
    I believe the widget is just in there to make it pour more "tap-like."

That would make me sad, because it would mean I'd have to let go of my favourite one liner about how awful Guiness is.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

You know what every draught beer in every pub and bar in every country gets shipped in and served from?

A keg.

A giant aluminum keg.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Coming from a person who grew up in the city Boddingtons is from. I've had it at its absolute best and eww.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

Do you speak Lojban?

Lojban is ridiculous.

More along the lines of "their physicalism does not give them the structure with which to accurately frame the phenomenon of anxiety"

So? If they understand each other, who cares?

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009

You know what every draught beer in every pub and bar in every country gets shipped in and served from?

A keg.

A giant aluminum keg.

The problem is not draught versus can, it's Boddingtons.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Boddingtons is certainly not the best example of proper beer.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yaaay JSTOR came up with a ton of articles for my paper, hopefully that will make up for the lackluster google and library results.

Yay! I think.

Basically, it be hard to find shit on proletarian novels in the US. Especially hard to find shit that the teacher didn't already assign.

Nah. The other half were novels criticizing the rich for being decadent without much reference to the poor.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Tonight is a complete waste of time. It's getting too late to go out and do anything, a complete waste of time.

Honk on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Coming from a person who grew up in the city Boddingtons is from. I've had it at its absolute best and eww.

I like Boddingtons at times. Though the beer I drank the most of the last time I was in England was either something with a lot of xs I think XXX and a year like 1554 or something. I get confused on the last one because a local brewery makes a beer here called 1664 which is a dark Belgium beer.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Do you speak Lojban?

Lojban is ridiculous.

If you want to pursue this path, I shall deploy a variety of techniques, including a Wittgensteinian critique of understanding as "playing vs. having," a heideggerian critique of understanding as being-towards, and a Derridean critique of intentionality.

But that would be annoying. I would just say that, in fact, they do no understand eachother and are merely speaking in circles.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The cheap staff bar we go to fairly often has recently put in a tap for Gem (which is a local Bath Ales beer). This is most pleasing, as it's rapidly getting a bit cold to be drinking Grolsch.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Crap. I forgot to take a photo of the toad-in-the-hole.

However, I have left over batter, raspberries and creme fraiche and natural yogurt.

I forsee pancakes in my future.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    BobCesca wrote: »
    Boddingtons is certainly not the best example of proper beer.

Now I feel bad for liking Boddingtons and thinking that it's real English beer...

LoserForHireX on
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Tonight is a complete waste of time. It's getting too late to go out and do anything, a complete waste of time.

Just drink the beer anyways.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    What is a proper British Beer then?

I rather like most of Fullers stuff and Old Speckled Hen ain't bad

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Just drink the beer anyways.

Too sad. I'll just throw it at random people on the street while yelling violently.

Honk on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

If you want to pursue this path, I shall deploy a variety of techniques, including a Wittgensteinian critique of understanding as "playing vs. having," a heideggerian critique of understanding as being-towards, and a Derridean critique of intentionality.

But that would be annoying. I would just say that, in fact, they do no understand eachother and are merely speaking in circles.

I'm actually curious, if you can answer without philosowanking. How are they speaking in circles? What are they saying?

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Couscous wrote: »

Yay! I think.

Nah. The other half were novels criticizing the rich for being decadent without much reference to the poor.

Yeah most of the ones I've read haven't used the poor a much more than props for the asshole rich

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Green Abbott stuff is good. Black Sheep also. London Pride brewery produces some alright stuff.

There's also some interesting bottled ales from Orkney and a few other Scottish breweries are bringing out some good stuff.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm actually curious, if you can answer without philosowanking. How are they speaking in circles? What are they saying?

Be prepared to be spoken to in circles. :P

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I like Boddingtons at times. Though the beer I drank the most of the last time I was in England was either something with a lot of xs I think XXX and a year like 1554 or something. I get confused on the last one because a local brewery makes a beer here called 1664 which is a dark Belgium beer.

There's XXXX, which I think is a fake Australian beer. It's dirt cheap but actually quite nice somehow. I know it's likely just a conditioned taste I've developed from my poor student days.

And then there's Kronenbourg 1664, which is from the German bit of France. And isn't bad, about on a par with Stella. So it's lager, but it's a decent one you're likely to find in a pub.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    fuck yes

there's snooker on the tv

goddamn snooker is the best live sport

so intricate and skillful

Tav on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    We don't get any of those Cesca :P

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Be prepared to be spoken to in circles. :P

I qualified it! I'm taking precautions!

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sexiled? Is that like being exiled but to a place where you must have sex with Elendil?

A fate worse than death.
    :(

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    And then there's Kronenbourg 1664, which is from the German bit of France. And isn't bad, about on a par with Stella. So it's lager, but it's a decent one you're likely to find in a pub.

I get nostalgiagasms from 1664, it also tastes good, so it's always great times when I get my hands on some.

Honk on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    We don't get any of those Cesca :P

Then you'll just have to come over here and go to proper pubs with proper ales on draught kept at the right temperature.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

There's XXXX, which I think is a fake Australian beer. It's dirt cheap but actually quite nice somehow. I know it's likely just a conditioned taste I've developed from my poor student days.

Thanks Mojo. It has been almost 6 years since I was in England. Hell been 5 years since I was in Europe. Ahh, Prague where beer is cheaper than water.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009

"Real Ale", which is a term I do not feel qualified to explain. They are highly regional though.

Mojo_Jojo on
This discussion has been closed.