As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The One Piece thread : Luffy vs Goku Chess match of the century!

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    heek iyis mohawk.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yay new chapter!

560 spoilers:
    Whoever it was that called Kuma getting the last of his humanity Vegapunked out of him was spot on. I assume we'll be learning more of his story eventually.

WTF game is Doflamingo playing? I don't get why he's attacking Crocodile, unless it's just for fufuz. But Crocodile vs. Doflamingo is an epic-level pimp-off.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yay new chapter!

560 spoilers:
    Whoever it was that called Kuma getting the last of his humanity Vegapunked out of him was spot on. I assume we'll be learning more of his story eventually.

WTF game is Doflamingo playing? I don't get why he's attacking Crocodile, unless it's just for fufuz. But Crocodile vs. Doflamingo is an epic-level pimp-off.

That was me.

Suck on it bitches.

Godfather on
  • Options
    Reasonable HoboReasonable Hobo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yay new chapter!

560 spoilers:

It didn't seem like Doflamingo was attacking Crocodile. Maybe I need to look at the chapter again but it seems like he used his yet to be know "string-like" powers to actually stop a punch from Jozu and try to get him to team-up against Jozu.

As for why Doflamingo would attack either Crocodile or Jozu? Well even if he was doing it for lulz both of them are technically against the WG.

I liked the chapter overall except for when reading around the internet I discovered its extended break. I'll definitely catch up on the Anime part though. I think the last episode I saw was when they were still back in Thriller Bark.

Reasonable Hobo on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    1 week is an extended break?

Slicer on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Meh, Oda deserves it.

Japan should have made a national holliday for Oda by now for all his back-breaking work.

Godfather on
  • Options
    Reasonable HoboReasonable Hobo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Slicer wrote: »

Well I suppose it is bit a of an exaggeration on my part. Especially compared to breaks other authors have had for a variety of reasons. Still I like the current arc and I know it is hard to manage so many characters at once while keeping the story interesting that I am being a bit selfish in wanting Oda to pump out the chapters.

But it is suppose to be something like two weeks before a new chapter comes out iirc.

Reasonable Hobo on
  • Options
    ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    Hahahahahah

Mohawk

Man, I just reread the chapter and realized that his name was hawk eyes.

I've been internally calling him mohawk this entire time.

Regardless, I'm still referring to him as mohawk for humor's sake.

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Slicer wrote: »

Well I suppose it is bit a of an exaggeration on my part. Especially compared to breaks other authors have had for a variety of reasons. Still I like the current arc and I know it is hard to manage so many characters at once while keeping the story interesting that I am being a bit selfish in wanting Oda to pump out the chapters.

But it is suppose to be something like two weeks before a new chapter comes out iirc.

Yeah, there's no chapter next week but it's safe to assume that the week after that will have a release.

I honestly don't mind occasional breaks too much because being a fan of Hunter x Hunter has pretty much given me god-like resistance when it comes to waiting for new chapters of things.

Slicer on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Ergandar wrote: »
    Hahahahahah

Mohawk

Man, I just reread the chapter and realized that his name was hawk eyes.

I've been internally calling him mohawk this entire time.

Regardless, I'm still referring to him as mohawk for humor's sake.

It's "Hawk Eyes" Mihawk

Mihawk

Godfather on
  • Options
    doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Man, I never realized how real this shit was getting until I saw Mihawk. Hope nobody else dies.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So, new chapter spoilers
    What the hell is going on with Zoro?

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So does Luffy have any real chance aside from outside intervention?

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So does Luffy have any real chance aside from outside intervention?
    Probably not. He can't beat Mihawk before Zoro gets a chance and I don't see Zoro coming in to save Ace, so somebody has to intervene.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I almost forgot (560 spoilers):
    They are NOT going to like Ivankov when he/she is angry. The Galaxy Wink was okamariffic.

My harebrained prediction: Mihawk takes out Luffy - people are shocked, Luffy is seemingly defeated - but he's thrown the key to Ace. Ace ditches the cuffs and now he has to save Luffy instead of Luffy saving him.

Or: Hancock throws herself in front of Luffy secret-service style and takes Mihawk's slash. Manly tears are shed, followed by lots of punching.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I almost forgot (560 spoilers):
    They are NOT going to like Ivankov when he/she is angry. The Galaxy Wink was okamariffic.

My harebrained prediction: Mihawk takes out Luffy - people are shocked, Luffy is seemingly defeated - but he's thrown the key to Ace. Ace ditches the cuffs and now he has to save Luffy instead of Luffy saving him.

Or: Hancock throws herself in front of Luffy secret-service style and takes Mihawk's slash. Manly tears are shed, followed by lots of punching.

I hope it's the punching.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    560 Thoughts:
    I'm thinking Phoenixguy will intervene. WhiteBeard did tell him not to let anything happen to Luffy.

I'm still with the earlier predictions that Garp will somehow free Ace and sacrifice his life. However, it will probably segue to an immediate escape. If this continues too far the WG will be decimated even if they win, I doubt too much that Oda will completely eliminate one of the biggest threats to pirates in the New World in this arc alone. That or the WG will be decimated and the WG Elders will activate a super-serial-secret new set of Admirals that will kick all sorts of pirate ass. This may drive one of the friendlier admirals (Aokiji) to side with the pirates later on.

Simpsonia on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Mihawk v. Buggy would be my favorite one piece moment in a long time, MAKE IT HAPPEN, ODA!

And to everyone who says Haki would prevent Buggy's ability working, I was gonna type of a way too long response, but I'll just say that would be lame as hell, so it better not happen. I really don't want haki to be the deus ex machina of the series.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    560:
    Wasn't it Diamond Jose who wasn't supposed to let Luffy die? Whichever one it was, I forgot about that. Now that I think about it that's probably more likely.

Luffy getting the key made Ace's chances of survival go up IMO. Now Garp and Whitebeard are at the top of my dead pool.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    560:
    Wasn't it Diamond Jose who wasn't supposed to let Luffy die? Whichever one it was, I forgot about that. Now that I think about it that's probably more likely.

Luffy getting the key made Ace's chances of survival go up IMO. Now Garp and Whitebeard are at the top of my dead pool.
    You......you honestly thought Luffy was going to die here, right at the halfway point in the story?

Really?

Godfather on
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    560:

You......you honestly thought Luffy was going to die here, right at the halfway point in the story?

Really?

Reading Comprehension are good.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Regardless, there's no way that they were going to kill that dude.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    DHS wrote: »
    560:

Really?

Reading Comprehension are good.

Hah, whaddaya know, I was wrong.

It's like having my pants fall down with my junk flapping in the breeze!

Godfather on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    560:

That guy was Marco, the pheonix man. Whitebeard's right-hand guy. Though I didn't see him in this chapter...

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'm calling it now: Buggy kills Luffy, page 606

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    560 Spoliers
    Come on guys, it's obvious what's going to happen between Mihawk vs Luffy. Luffy doesn't really care about fighting anyone right now; he's mainly concerned with getting to Ace and every fight he's gotten into so far someone else has stepped in to "take care of it" so that Luffy can keep moving ahead (Jimbei vs Moria, Hancock vs Smoker, and Iva vs Kuma of course). I don't really see that changing here so it'll be a standoff for a bit (with Luffy either holding his own or barely keeping up, it doesn't really matter here) until, either through a humorous misunderstanding or his own grandiose plan, the great Buggy the Clown steps up to take on Mihawk, allowing Luffy to keep on moving forward while simultaneously helping Buggy with his plan to boost his reputation and "take the attention back from that Straw Hat guy". It really is almost too perfect, and with all the fun Oda has been having with Buggy I don't see him passing this up.

I just hope we get to see a bit more of what Whitebeard and Sengoku's respective plans are, as well as what the new world captains are up too.

And oh, I just remembered, isn't one of the more popular theories out there that Mihawk is the former second commander for Whitebeard's crew (the position that Ace took after "it had been empty for a while")? That could add an interesting dynamic to a Buggy/Mihawk showdown, what with the fact that they might have met during one of Roger and Whitebeard's past battles.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    ph blake wrote: »
    560 Spoliers
    Come on guys, it's obvious what's going to happen between Mihawk vs Luffy. Luffy doesn't really care about fighting anyone right now; he's mainly concerned with getting to Ace and every fight he's gotten into so far someone else has stepped in to "take care of it" so that Luffy can keep moving ahead (Jimbei vs Moria, Hancock vs Smoker, and Iva vs Kuma of course). I don't really see that changing here so it'll be a standoff for a bit (with Luffy either holding his own or barely keeping up, it doesn't really matter here) until, either through a humorous misunderstanding or his own grandiose plan, the great Buggy the Clown steps up to take on Mihawk, allowing Luffy to keep on moving forward while simultaneously helping Buggy with his plan to boost his reputation and "take the attention back from that Straw Hat guy". It really is almost too perfect, and with all the fun Oda has been having with Buggy I don't see him passing this up.

I just hope we get to see a bit more of what Whitebeard and Sengoku's respective plans are, as well as what the new world captains are up too.

And oh, I just remembered, isn't one of the more popular theories out there that Mihawk is the former second commander for Whitebeard's crew (the position that Ace took after "it had been empty for a while")? That could add an interesting dynamic to a Buggy/Mihawk showdown, what with the fact that they might have met during one of Roger and Whitebeard's past battles.
    sadly it's more likely marco will pop in and take on mihawk for a bit. After all he already blocked that one attack from mihawk earlier and whitebeard told him to help luffy... I don't think the "fight" between luffy and mihawk will last more than 4 pages.

NotYou on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    NotYou wrote: »
    560 Spoliers

sadly it's more likely marco will pop in and take on mihawk for a bit. After all he already blocked that one attack from mihawk earlier and whitebeard told him to help luffy... I don't think the "fight" between luffy and mihawk will last more than 4 pages.
    MARCO IS NOT JOSE. seriously people

Arch on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Arch wrote: »
    560 Spoliers

whitebeard was talking to marco not jos.

Edit: nevermind you were right. jos stopped that attack. marco stopped some other attack.

NotYou on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    560 Spoliers

whitebeard was talking to marco not jos
    JOSE blocked mihawks attack, MARCO blocked Kizaru's

Arch on
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    560 Spoliers

whitebeard was talking to marco not jos
    JOSE blocked mihawks attack, MARCO blocked Kizaru's
    Shanks teleports in to fight Mihawk

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    560 Spoliers

As others have said it was Jose who blocked Mihawk's attack earlier, but as he's a bit tied up with Ol' Crocy boy at the moment I don't really see him interfering :wink:

Marco on the other hand is a definite possibility, but I just think that the Buggy thing is too hilarious and doubt Oda will pass on the opportunity to have everyone's favorite clown deliver another completely over the top moment. Hell, both situations could easily happen with Marco stepping in initially then Buggy objecting to the Whitebeard pirates "hogging the glory" or some such nonsense and challenging Mihawk (all this hinges on Buggy's newfound confidence + faith in his inability to be cut outweighing the soul crushing fear of Mihawk that he is sure to have).

And I doubt the Hawkeyes/Luffy fight lasts even 4 pages at all, as I said Luffy is pretty determined to get to that platform as fast as possible. I'm sure he'll find someway around, world's greatest swordsman or not.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Latest chapter:

There is no flippin' way Luffy's gonna stick around to fight Mihawk. That specific Shichibukai has plot armor until end-game material. Luffy's only option is to get the fuck out of dodge, or he's completely slaughtered.

Godfather on
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Latest chapter:

There is no flippin' way Luffy's gonna stick around to fight Mihawk. That specific Shichibukai has plot armor until end-game material. Luffy's only option is to get the fuck out of dodge, or he's completely slaughtered.
    Yeah, well even now I think his reaction is going to be "I'm not going to fight you, you are Zoro's ambition." Because Luffy is consistent about dreams and shit.

Also the Kuma story may be the first retroactive tearjerker for Oda. "We will never meet again." That's fucking tragic. God, his story is the most interesting sub plot going.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kuma
    Are we sure it's not him and not another Pacifista drone?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Lanz wrote: »
    Kuma
    Are we sure it's not him and not another Pacifista drone?
    He has the devil fruit power.

Couscous on
  • Options
    SpectreSpectre Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The new episode tonight is on Brook and Zoro, right? Those are probably the two I most wanted to see more of.

Spectre on
    gst+spectre.png
  • Options
    CamuiCamui Sogekidan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Off/On topic. He is fun to play with.
    screenshot2009101021430.jpg
    screenshot2009101021431.jpg
    screenshot2009101021432.jpg

Camui on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Man, I'm almost going to be disappointed next week with no new filler.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    KasanagiKasanagi Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    wait, no new manga chapter means no new anime episode either? I am doubly wounded by this grave news D:

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.