As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Questions, Discussion and Tutorials

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    generally, if you're doing print work you should be designing in CMYK, as it more accurately reflects the colour model used in the actual printing process. when you send RGB files to the printer, there's going to be some color shift in the end result - and sometimes it's a pretty violent shift.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hey fellas

guestion: I'm illustrating a book cover in photoshop for uni. The background is almost entirely black. My tutor has said, that when working with black for printing, its best to work as CMYK 0 - 0 - 0 - 100. *dont know exact proper term. This implies i should be working in cmyk. Should i be painting in CMYK or RGB? note: intnded for print.

If you're working for print, you should use CMYK. K is black. You can make black by mixing the other three chanels, but it will be like a dull-washed up black. You have a channel dedicated exclusively to black in CMYK, use it to obtain a rich black in your final print process.

The format you choose will ultimately determine if it supports CMYK. TIF, EPS, PSD and PDF support CMYK... don't use JPG or GIF.

I'd choose another printer. One who knows the diference between RGB and CMYK.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I decided to finish my image in RGB, and then converted to CMYK. A little change, but overall it was ok. ill just tweak the image a little.

Ah! Open the Info window and run the eye dropper tool over your black areas. You'll notice that the black is not made of 100% k, and the CMY chanels have way too much color.

Black, due to it being absent from the RGB model, does not convert properly to CMYK.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    IDK if I'm some sort of idiot, but I can't find any links to tuts for text/fonts on ze front page? Like, caligraphy style, fancy handwriting. I am uhhh planning ahead for my DnD game.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The guys at Colour Tech on gawler place are pretty good, I used them exclusively for all my wedding invites, placecards, etc. They're just past the Gawler Place / Pirie street corner, near the TAB.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    any design people about?

i need some help with prepress on these ads

the printer says they're lo-res, but i'm printing them to PDF at 300dpi and cmyk

i don't get it

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    What program are you using?

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    photoshop cs4

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Ah, sometimes in vector programs you have to set the image resolution independent from the original resolution... but in PS.... if it's 300 dpi... its 300 dpi! That press man be trippin! Ask him what the dilly-o is!

(do you like my black impression?)

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I do!

My boss says that it might be a press problem, but I sent it to our other designer to verify that I didn't fuck up.

..because when I open the PDF, it's in 300DPI.

So now I wait.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    You did everything right. My friend, who is a press man once told me "Never believe a press man". They often are over worked and will say anything to buy time or do things the easy way.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    deadlydoritodeadlydorito __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Quick question; does anyone know of/go to some good atelier art schools in Australia?

deadlydorito on
  • Options
    mablem8mablem8 Registered User new member
    edited October 2009
    I've been trying to find some nice game-themed posters that I can frame for decoration, but so far I haven't had much luck. I'm looking for something artful and clever, like this "Zombie Playground" poster: http://www.inprnt.com/details/1433/ or these WWIII posters: http://www.flickr.com/photos/doctabu/sets/72157620497679512/

Any suggestions?

mablem8 on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I decided to finish my image in RGB, and then converted to CMYK. A little change, but overall it was ok. ill just tweak the image a little.

Ah! Open the Info window and run the eye dropper tool over your black areas. You'll notice that the black is not made of 100% k, and the CMY chanels have way too much color.

Black, due to it being absent from the RGB model, does not convert properly to CMYK.

THANKS FOR THE TIPS!
    You're right, they hadn't converted properly. damn this printing thing is frying my brain! I wonder if there are any good tutorials...? Ill have to have a browse online.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I don't know any good tutorials, but I can recommend you the Real World Print Production book. It's full of good advice!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    apparently, they were low-res because i'd done them in photoshop and now indesign.

photoshop rasterizes everything, while indesign keeps a lot of shit as vectors. passes shit through to distiller at the appropriate resolution, which is something like 1200DPI.

looks like i'm not designing in photoshop anymore.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    PongePonge Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hey guys, I'm going to my first life-drawing class tomorow night. It's pretty informal, run by the animation course at my university (i study Digital Visual FX) but my drawing skills are pretty abysmal.

I know i'm not going to become amazing overnight, but I plan on putting in a couple of hours studying some of the Loomis books tonight, I just wondered if anyone else had any hints or tips for tomorow?

What should I take? I was thinking an A3 or A2 sketchbook, some pencils/sharpenner, some charcoal.

Ponge on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    looks like i'm not designing in photoshop anymore.

Usually, I do the photomontages in PS, then handle everything else in Illustrator or Indesign. You get a lighter file and crisper graphics!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ponge wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm going to my first life-drawing class tomorow night. It's pretty informal, run by the animation course at my university (i study Digital Visual FX) but my drawing skills are pretty abysmal.

I know i'm not going to become amazing overnight, but I plan on putting in a couple of hours studying some of the Loomis books tonight, I just wondered if anyone else had any hints or tips for tomorow?

What should I take? I was thinking an A3 or A2 sketchbook, some pencils/sharpenner, some charcoal.

Big pad of 18 x 24" newsprint paper for sketches and gestures. You're going to be working fast and big. You'll also want a wooden drawing board to work on (if they don't provide them, although you may just want some anyone) and some bulldog clips to hold the paper on to the board.

Brolo on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    rather than purchase a drawing board.. just go to your local hardware store and buy a peice of masonite. You can cut it down to the appropriate size by scoring it with a mat knife and then just breaking it.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    And then you become the jackass who didn't purchase a real drawing board and will regret it within a few weeks. The circle of life.

rts on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    A piece of Masonite board the size of A2 is pretty freaking heavy. its a good idea, if you dont mind ligging it around.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited October 2009
    I do!

My boss says that it might be a press problem, but I sent it to our other designer to verify that I didn't fuck up.

..because when I open the PDF, it's in 300DPI.

So now I wait.

Yeah but what is the size in pixels?

bombardier on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Two questions:

1) What are some good processes for resizing a black image in Photoshop to avoid aliasing issues? So far I've tried bicubic, bicubic sharper, nearest neighbor, and bilinear and while bicubic is the sharpest, I'm still getting a lot of aliasing issues. So far the smoothest alternative I've found is running a very tight live-trace in Illustrator, importing to PS, and resizing from there, but surely there's a better way.

2) Has anyone managed to find a way to keep Micron brush pens from deteriorating so quickly, or should I invest in a different brand?

Fugitive on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2009
    I've had a better experience with fiber castel for brush pens, I only use micon for smaller tips. If you are trying to drop alot of ink on the paper for a really bold black, I'd try a Pilot bravo!, I have some and love them to death, its not a flexible brush tip but it refuses to deteriorate and has some decent surface area to it.

Iruka on
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I use these for brush pens. Very durable, and versatile, and you can buy refills for them.

http://www.jetpens.com/product_info.php/cPath/221_517/products_id/2413

Sublimus on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fugitive wrote: »
    Two questions:

1) What are some good processes for resizing a black image in Photoshop to avoid aliasing issues? So far I've tried bicubic, bicubic sharper, nearest neighbor, and bilinear and while bicubic is the sharpest, I'm still getting a lot of aliasing issues. So far the smoothest alternative I've found is running a very tight live-trace in Illustrator, importing to PS, and resizing from there, but surely there's a better way.

CS4 resizes things a lot nicer now, from what I can remember....but no matter which version of PS you're using, you're going to end up with some aliasing issues if resizing up. You could try running a sharpen filter on the image beforehand, or after you've resized...(and go under Edit >> Fade Sharpen, if needed)...and that'll help it look nicer, but if you're dealing with a non-vector image beforehand, you're going to end up with some aliasing.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh well yeah, I'm aware of that. What I mean are when shrinking images down, I get ugly jaggies and aliasing no matter what process I use.

Por ejemplo
    BWbilinear.png

That's resized from a grayscale, high-resolution image, but black and white does the same. Some of the jaggies are the result of some lines simply being too thin, but the thicker lines also have a good amount of nastiness to them.

I have no idea why such a simple process is giving me such a hard time, it feels like I'm taking crazy pills.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, I figured you'd know that...:P...but for downsizing? You could try [Gaussian] blurring the image very, very slightly. Try doing that before you resize, and after you resize, and see which looks better. I've had that issue once or twice, and blurring some was the only solution I could figure out. :\

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    This may be random, but do any of you PC users view images in something other than windows preview and photoshop? You cant have multiple preview windows open as far as I know, and I'd like to be able to tile refs on my screen without opening PS.

I'm using XP if that makes a difference, i donno if fancy pants windows 7 fixes that.

Iruka on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    yah in windows vista you can view multiple things, but with xp you can just right click and open with picture viewer maybe?

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    It just opens it in the same preview window, unfortunately.

Iruka on
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    iruka have you tried going to view-> filmstrip? sends everything currently open into one window that you can scroll through

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Ah, thats better than nothing. Thanks mensch! Still not quite what Im looking for, I guess PS is my only option for having multple images tiled. I guess I can also adopt the "stitch all the images into one" method.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Ok strangers, cant find birdman books where i live so im buying every one i see from amazon. Got the money from my piggy bank round 90 bucks in coins! Australian coins are huge in value...

Anyways heres the list dudes, any that arent worth it or that i am missing?

Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing From Life: Over 1,000 Illustrations
    Fifty Figure Drawings
    Bridgman's Life Drawing
    Drawing the Female Form
    The Book of a Hundred Hands
    The Human Machine
    Drawing the Draped Figure
    Heads, Features and Faces
    The Best of Bridgman: Boxed Set (Boxed Sets/Bindups)
    Constructive Anatomy (1920)

Also, wow you americans can buy your stuff for cheap! Books videogames and food, everything is more expensive over here D:

deadlydorito on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited November 2009
    Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing From Life is a compilation of Bridgman's Life Drawing, The Book of a Hundred Hands, The Human Machine, Heads, Features and Faces, Constructive Anatomy and Drawing the Draped Figure, so you're just going to end up buying the same thing twice. And I'm guessing the "Best of Bridgman: Boxed Set" is much the same thing, so you'd end up buying the same thing three times over.

That leaves your list at
    Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing From Life: Over 1,000 Illustrations
    Fifty Figure Drawings
    Drawing the Female Form

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    thank you bacon, you just saved me dozens of moneys~!

as a reward....

/lick

deadlydorito on
  • Options
    worstcaseworstcase Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I know this seems kinda random, but do any of you know how to create a stereoscopic image? Stereoscope?
    I think thats right.

worstcase on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    what type of viewer do you intend to use, and are you talking converting a drawing/painting, or taking a photograph?

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I think it's a matter of having the objects in one of the two images shifted slighty - to the right for the right-side image, and to the left for the left-side image...things that are closest to the viewer would shift more.

If you think about it in terms of your own eyes (the left eye sees a slightly different image than the right eye does, and that allows you to determine depth in space...and objects that are closest to you will be objects that "shift" the most between the image your left eye sees and the image your right eye sees)...then it may make it more clear to you. :)

If you're taking a photograph, you'd take one picture, then move the camera horizontally a few inches, then take another photograph.

Making a drawing would be a little more challenging, but that's the general gist of it.

NightDragon on
This discussion has been closed.