Options

Star Wars: TFU (Ultimate Sith Edition out in US on PC, check thread)

• Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Sith Edition's out, eh? I should probably go get that, considering I skipped the game the first time around.
    Although I haven't finished Brutal Legend.
    And I just got Dragon Age.
    And I should probably be playing NeoTokyo with some dudes.
    And I want Torchlight.
    And Assassin's Creed 2 is only a couple of weeks away.
    And work leaves no time for any of this nonsense.
    Fuck.

Monger on
  • Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Monger wrote: »
    Sith Edition's out, eh? I should probably go get that, considering I skipped the game the first time around.
    And I want Torchlight.
    Fuck.

Hate to say it, but I'm in somewhat the same situation as you. Basically I've got to choose between this and Dragon Age. And since I've already got the normal version of SW: TFU... well, it looks as though the Sith Edition is going to have to wait until I have some spare money and nothing else to distract me.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I never played this game but it looks interesting.... Is it recommended to pick up the "ultimate" edition or whatever it is that just came out?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I never played this game but it looks interesting.... Is it recommended to pick up the "ultimate" edition or whatever it is that just came out?

It's got all the DLC (costumes and 2 levels) plus an exclusive level and is the only version for PC (if that matters to you). However it's $40 and used copies of the original go for $10~20 on ebay.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What's the verdict on the PC version?

Doesn't look rather ... varied enough in the combat department, but I'm a sucker for anything with a Star Wars label on it and lightsabers on the cover.
    Though I fear I might drop it after an hour of playing and cry myself to sleep while dreaming of Kyle Katarn sabering up some imperial scumbags.

Alegis on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I thought it was fun, and better written than anything in the prequel trilogy. The combat has some quirks (go find Morninglord's Posts of Awesome for tips), but it's definitely the best feeling rendition of the Force in a game. So, I guess I'd say it's fun, but a bit short.

Houn on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    the thing to figure out in the game is how to approach each level.

if you go running in guns blazing you get slaughtered. you pick them off using the environment for cover, and when you do attack someone, you kill them as fast as you possible can and as hard as you possibly can.
    when attacking large groups, you use small moves for crowd control and moves that stun and disable.

when moving from person to person you need to figure out how to get across to them as fast as possible, which usually involves the sprint force explosion since it doubles your dash and gives you a moment of invincibility.

so rather than lazily destroying things from a kind of laid back perspective, you assess the situation then tear things to pieces as viciously and as fast as possible.

prioritise the killing of or get cover from:
    snipers
    flyers
    other dudes.

especially snipers. if you see that dot, and you can get to him to kill him, kill him first. otherwise find cover while killing his friends then chuck something at him.
    dont be afraid to be that cheap bastard who tosses everything he can see at everybody he can see from out of their range. you are a sith after all, they wouldn't think twice.

lastly, but most importantly. a single tap of lightning stuns for a few seconds. holding it down doesn't stun after it ends. so zap bosses with small bursts to stun lock them while you set up other attacks.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    So, it turns out that Dragon Age: Origin isn't out for the PS3 until the 20th here in England. This is bad news. :(

The silver lining to this dark cloud is that despite having been delayed by a week, the Sith Edition now hits earlier than both Dragon Age: Origins and Assassin's Creed 2. This combined with the pleasantly cheap price and the fact that I've got three games (including the original Force Unleashed) to trade in for a discount...

:mrgreen:

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Has anyone said how the game meshes with the trophies/achievements of the original? Given that the trophy patch has the trophies for the levels specific to the Sith edition, they'll fill the same list, not separate ones, right? Obviously a very small concern, but I'm just curious about how it's set up.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Monger wrote: »
    And I want Torchlight.
    Fuck.

I say wait. I didn't take long for the original SFU to hit bargain bin. Sith Edition will get there quick enough. Save yourself some monies and play your other games

VoodooV on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    Has anyone said how the game meshes with the trophies/achievements of the original? Given that the trophy patch has the trophies for the levels specific to the Sith edition, they'll fill the same list, not separate ones, right? Obviously a very small concern, but I'm just curious about how it's set up.

Ok, Sith edition is exactly the same as regular except for one thing. The bonus costumes are on both discs. That means that any achtrophies earned in regular TFU will carry over onto USE. The 3 bonus levels are on the second disc and there are only achtropies for the Jedi Temple and Tattooine levels, none for Hoth.

My hypothesis is that they didn't want the people that forked over the money for the DLC to be left out or take the time to resubmit the game as a separate title (since apparently Hoth is only available in the Sith Ed.)

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I borrowed the original from my friend who had bought his.

I do like what they were trying to do. I really do. But the QTEs are what kill it for me. That and when you get to a certain point it's all about the force lightening and that's it.

KoToR is still the best Star Wars game to date.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    honestly i wouldnt like the game anywhere near as much without that leaping attack to teleport across the screen. it didn't matter if it didnt kill who you hit, because you were across the screen in the face of anyone around it and the enemy had to track you again.

you could chain attacks after it.

it's honestly the lynchpin of the game for me, everything else supports this move in my playstyle. it stuns everybody except enemy sith, who will throw you out of it. it takes off shields. it stuns mini bosses. it leads to combos (once you hit someone, if you stay locked on, you can do: lightning, charge lightsaber toss, charge point blank explosion/normal force attack) all of these followup attacks happen in mid air after the pounce hits. once you land you can continue with eg a grab or something.

eg, pounce on a shielded dude, do point blank explosion, then grab him while he's tumbling, toss him at someone else.

guys you want dead will usually outright die to pounce->full charge lightsaber toss. eg, those high health commanders. pounce removes shield -> full lightsaber toss kills them. one two and they are dead before you hit the ground. :D

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Nocren wrote: »

Ok, Sith edition is exactly the same as regular except for one thing. The bonus costumes are on both discs. That means that any achtrophies earned in regular TFU will carry over onto USE. The 3 bonus levels are on the second disc and there are only achtropies for the Jedi Temple and Tattooine levels, none for Hoth.

My hypothesis is that they didn't want the people that forked over the money for the DLC to be left out or take the time to resubmit the game as a separate title (since apparently Hoth is only available in the Sith Ed.)

I thought (Spoilered just in case):
    You fight Luke in the Hoth Level. There's a trophy for beating him, at least. Also a few trophies for doing things in the Ice Caves.

Darth_Mogs on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

I thought (Spoilered just in case):
    You fight Luke in the Hoth Level. There's a trophy for beating him, at least. Also a few trophies for doing things in the Ice Caves.

If there are, it's only on the PS3. I did all that on the 360 and got nothing but enjoyment for my troubles.

EDIT: Is that a Die Hard reference in my Star Wars game?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Well, I got hold of my copy of the Sith Edition. After trade-ins and a further discount from the points on my reward card, I only paid £12.50.

So far I've only played through the main game and the Jedi Temple level, but I'll try and get and get through the Tattooine and Hoth levels tonight if I can.

Damn, it's too easy to forget just how satisfying it is to Force Grip a stormtrooper and smash him out through a window into deep space... or just lob him waaaay off into the distance... or move him over a bottomless pit and just let go... or lifting him up and holding him stationary as the announcer goes, "Commencing primary ignition in five, four, three, two..." :mrgreen:

I'm an evil, evil man. And I'm loving it!

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Giving this game a Sith Master run through. Morninglord++ for all the tips over this and the previous thread. The multigrab really is a killer move. Grabbing a trooper and 2 purges and then throwing all three in to a laser makes the last big room a lot simpler. Also fun to play this again, now that I have a hdtv, it's pretty.

I reallize this thread is pretty dead, but any one play the new levels? What's the difficulty level on them? ie could you fire up a new save and play them, or do you need to be leveled up pretty far to survive?

Having just got the Sith Edition, I can tell you that the new levels are separate from the main campaign. You start each of them with a predetermined Force Power, Force Talent and Force Combo setup so you can jump straight into them. If the Jedi Temple is anything to go by, you also level up murderously fast. By the end of the level, you should be near maxed out.

In short, you're good to go.

EDIT: Also, at least in the Jedi Temple level, I also got all of the lightsaber Power Crystals as well. I presume you'll get them for Tattooine and Hoth as well.

EDIt #2: You do. In the Tattooine and Hoth levels, you start fully maxed out. All Force Powers and Talents are at maximum and you get all the Force Combo's and lightsaber crystals.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Played the Hoth level on PC.

There is something to be said about taking Rebel Troopers/Pilots and throwing bashing them into walls, open generators, bottomless pits, etc. Impressing the snowtroopers with my creativity.

A novelty, if you will. Plus those guys deserve it for having something like 30 pet wampas. Sick bastards.

Throwing a snowspeeder into an open shield generator has got to be one of my favorite things ever. "Hey, Mr. Pilot, Mr. Copilot, brace yourself, this may sting just a little."
    Well, next to throwing Luke Skywalker into a flying speeder. But that was a quicktime event.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Having finished the extra levels, I have to say that while I thought the Jedi Temple level was a bit uninspired, I really liked the Tattooine and Hoth levels. Stalking through Jabba's Palace and Echo Base whilst glorying in my overwhelming power was a real buzz. The overall ending of the dark apprentice arc was nice as well. :twisted:

Having owned the original, I don't know whether I'd have been happy paying the full £30 asking price for this, but given that I paid around a third of that price, I'm quite content. For a first time comer to 'The Force Unleashed' however...

*waves hand* "This is the game you're looking for".

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go and terrorise more Jawa's.... Disgusting creatures.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I saw the Ultimate Sith Edition at Wal-Mart for the 360 last night. I didn't know the 360 was getting it.

Does anyone know if the achievements are new or if it works alongside the old achievements?

I'm just thinking about renting it to play the Hoth mission on the disc, but don't want to wrestle with a whole new set of achievements.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I saw the Ultimate Sith Edition at Wal-Mart for the 360 last night. I didn't know the 360 was getting it.

Does anyone know if the achievements are new or if it works alongside the old achievements?

I'm just thinking about renting it to play the Hoth mission on the disc, but don't want to wrestle with a whole new set of achievements.

I've been looking around and it seems like this game works off the same Trophy/Achievements list you already have. I don't know if you'll be able to use your existing save(s), though. I know when PS3 users got the trophy patch (Which was just the USE trophy list months early), we actually had to delete our existing save data to even be able to unlock trophies. :|

Also, I don't know for sure, but I don't know if the Hoth Mission even got Achievements. If you're not the type to worry about that, then, you know, don't worry, but just as a heads-up. Hopefully someone can clear that up, though.

Darth_Mogs on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Friend confirmed that the old saves do work. I think I stated it before that USE is two discs, but here's the breakdown.

Disc 1 - Force Unleashed + 20+ skins/costumes
    Disc 2 - Bonus Missions (Jedi Temple, Tattooine, Hoth) + 20+ skins/costumes.
    Achievements only for main game, Temple, and Tattooine.
    (I guess trophies for everything?)

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Played the Hoth level on PC.

There is something to be said about taking Rebel Troopers/Pilots and throwing bashing them into walls, open generators, bottomless pits, etc. Impressing the snowtroopers with my creativity.

A novelty, if you will. Plus those guys deserve it for having something like 30 pet wampas. Sick bastards.

Throwing a snowspeeder into an open shield generator has got to be one of my favorite things ever. "Hey, Mr. Pilot, Mr. Copilot, brace yourself, this may sting just a little."
    Well, next to throwing Luke Skywalker into a flying speeder. But that was a quicktime event.

Re: Tattooine Boss Battle
    That was nothing compared to throwing Ben into the Falcon's engine wash and cooking the bastard. Course, he had the audacity to come back as a spirit....

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Friend confirmed that the old saves do work. I think I stated it before that USE is two discs, but here's the breakdown.

Disc 1 - Force Unleashed + 20+ skins/costumes
    Disc 2 - Bonus Missions (Jedi Temple, Tattooine, Hoth) + 20+ skins/costumes.
    Achievements only for main game, Temple, and Tattooine.
    (I guess trophies for everything?)

Well, that's good for the saves thing. I wouldn't wish that nonsense on anybody. "Oh sure, I'll just act like I never played the game before, that's cool."

The Achievements List is just lacking a few things from the Trophy list, which are all Hoth centered I believe.
    -(Bronze) Pull the Plug: Remove the Power Battery without destroying any of the sentry turrets
    -(Bronze) The Cable Guy: Use the electrical cables throughout Echo Base to shock fifteen enemies
    -(Silver) Official PETW Member: Make it through the Ice Caves without killing a single Wampa
    -(Silver) PETW Hates You: Kill 10 Wampas in the Ice Caves
    -(Gold) "I'm Not Your Father, But...": Take Luke to school

Just five trophies. Otherwise the lists are exactly the same.

Darth_Mogs on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Ahhh... those trophies sound cool. And I love the mid-fight banter on Hoth:
    Starkiller: "Yes... I killed your father. BECAUSE HE WAS A PUSSY!!!"
    Luke, channeling Anakin: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...."
    *Luke goes darkside

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Ahhh... those trophies sound cool. And I love the mid-fight banter on Hoth:
    Starkiller: "Yes... I killed your father. BECAUSE HE WAS A PUSSY!!!"
    Luke, channeling Anakin: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...."
    *Luke goes darkside

They're fairly easy to get. Got four on the first playthrough and replayed the first section again a second time to get the fifth.

As regards the Hoth mid-battle banter/ending...
    Good thing he went darkside. Cause he was a real pansy up until that point. Not sure about Starkiller's wisdom in letting the Falcon get away though. That could come back to bite him - and the emperor - in the arse.

I mean, it would have so easy for the apprentice to crush it like a tin can or piledrive it into the ground at high speed - or even pull it back in, crush the engines and take prisoners. Seriously, hasn't the guy read the Evil Overlord's 'What Not To Do' book... specifically the part about letting any of the heroes get away?

Hell, even turning the hero to evil doesn't tend to have that good a track record. Those pesky memories of better times and all...

It'll all end in tears for the forces of evil, I'm sure.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I really don't want to turn this into a Star Wars discussion but...
    these are Infinities stories where Annakin was redeemed yet stayed alive, turned Leah to the dark side, and blew up cloud city (after Lando had frozen Boba Fett and turned him into his new desk as well). Granted, all these are from different stories, but still.

Also, Starkiller possibly knew how powerful Luke is/would become. Given how powerful he is, I really don't think anyone could stop the two of them. They would rule the galaxy as step-brothers (of sorts).

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I really don't want to turn this into a Star Wars discussion but...
    these are Infinities stories where Annakin was redeemed yet stayed alive, turned Leah to the dark side, and blew up cloud city (after Lando had frozen Boba Fett and turned him into his new desk as well). Granted, all these are from different stories, but still.

Also, Starkiller possibly knew how powerful Luke is/would become. Given how powerful he is, I really don't think anyone could stop the two of them. They would rule the galaxy as step-brothers (of sorts).
    Yeah, I know about those Infinity storylines - my brother picked them up - and that the DLC content is basically the same thing.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Kitsuna wrote: »
    Good thing he went darkside. Cause he was a real pansy up until that point. Not sure about Starkiller's wisdom in letting the Falcon get away though. That could come back to bite him - and the emperor - in the arse.

I mean, it would have so easy for the apprentice to crush it like a tin can or piledrive it into the ground at high speed - or even pull it back in, crush the engines and take prisoners. Seriously, hasn't the guy read the Evil Overlord's 'What Not To Do' book... specifically the part about letting any of the heroes get away?

Hell, even turning the hero to evil doesn't tend to have that good a track record. Those pesky memories of better times and all...

It'll all end in tears for the forces of evil, I'm sure.

Well, I for one tried hard to avoid making the token Evil Overlord mistakes.

For example, the game was practically beginning me to throw Snowtroopers around. Bull-shit. When they're actually winning? Fuck that noise, I'll throw around the actual enemy if I need to amuse myself or stop generator turbines or stuff like that.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    SnowblindvictimSnowblindvictim Flying casual Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So about the PC version...

28 GB Install, locked at 30 FPS, No graphics options (only can change resolution)

And I still got it day one, because I'm that much of a Star Wars freak. I've been wanting to play this game
    so bad when it came out, and I was so happy to hear about the (shitty) pc port!

Snowblindvictim on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    28GB install what the FUCK

Renzo on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It also runs like absolute shit on my processor, which is a heavily overclocked Intel Dual-Core rather than a Core2. It has the tendency to drop to slideshow for no reason, then run (almost) fine after a reload. Or, occasionally, after restarting the game. Or, occasionally, not recovering ever.

edit: And it's only taking up twenty-four gigs on my hard drive.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

For example, the game was practically beginning me to throw Snowtroopers around. Bull-shit. When they're actually winning? Fuck that noise, I'll throw around the actual enemy if I need to amuse myself or stop generator turbines or stuff like that.

Well, I did throw snowtroopers around... but only because my targeting was off and I picked them up by accident. Then it was basically a case of 'well, that rebel over there is shooting at me and I do have something handy that I could lob at him...'

And on my first playthrough of the main campaign I effortlessly earned the 'Worst Day-Shift Manager Ever' trophy without even trying. :oops:

28 GB Install, locked at 30 FPS, No graphics options (only can change resolution)

o_O

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Well, I did throw snowtroopers around... but only because my targeting was off and I picked them up by accident. Then it was basically a case of 'well, that rebel over there is shooting at me and I do have something handy that I could lob at him...'

And on my first playthrough of the main campaign I effortlessly earned the 'Worst Day-Shift Manager Ever' trophy without even trying. :oops:

o_O

Well... the locked framerate is ok I guess.... but 28 gigs? Hell, the majority of my Steam games are like a tenth of that. Sounds like a really bad port job.

Wonder how difficult it will be to mod?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009

o_O

Well... the locked framerate is ok I guess.... but 28 gigs? Hell, the majority of my Steam games are like a tenth of that. Sounds like a really bad port job.

Wonder how difficult it will be to mod?

Yeah, I just noticed that. It's fucked up.

On the bright side, I'm running a E8400 dual core, with 8800GT SLI, and it seems to be running fine. Very little to no slowdown. And I think I can force AA if I want to.

But yeah, 28G, Christ alive, that's a big-ass game. For reference, World of Warcraft, and two expansions, is half that, at 14.4 GB. What's that about?!

On a lighter note, I also stabbed one of the snowtroopers with my lightsaber, in the frenzy of everything going on. "Who! WHOA! Hey, that was a close one, go back to shooting rebels, ya' little rascal!" I'm sure my snowtroopers still gave me the 'Most Valued Dark Jedi Shift Manager' award, nonetheless. Especially when I saved their buts when the Rebels flanked them in that corridor with their magical spawning at a dead-end strategy.

I'm kind of wondering...in the main campaign, will stormtroopers shoot you if you don't throw them through walls? I'm not sure how the programming works, they might be preoccupied with the rebels. The AI in this game seriously seems to suck though.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It's a terrible port. Terrible, terrible.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KivutarKivutar Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It's a terrible port. Terrible, terrible.
    Not enough lime in the world.

Maybe I've been lucky in the past, but this is hands down, the worst port I've ever encountered.

I can't even begin to fathom how they managed to take up 28gb, the textures and such are terrible - after a quick perusal of the folder, I guess the level packs take up 17+, and the cinematics take up 8. Kind of absurd.

So far I haven't been able to make myself even play past the first mission, maybe I'll try and give it some more time.

As an aside, so far I've been playing on the highest difficulty setting, mashing buttons without any regard for what they're bound to, and pretty much waltzing through untouched. Does the game become more difficult down the road?

Kivutar on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    i see the old TFU is consoles is $20 new, and the new sith edition is $40
    is there $20 worth of content added on the disc?

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    i see the old TFU is consoles is $20 new, and the new sith edition is $40
    is there $20 worth of content added on the disc?

Kinda? The 2 DLC levels are... lemme check on that.
    The levels are $5 each (Hoth is only available on Sith Edition) and both character packs combined are another $5...
    So... it's roughly the same cost. Is it the same value though, that's up to you.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    might just wait and find the sith edition used

Local H Jay on