Options

Sam and Max Hit The Road: Can I Keep His Head For A Souvenir?

Bad AspBad Asp Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Games and Technology
Okay, I don't know if there's a thread for this game or not, but I started one anyway.

Anyway, this thread is for the classic LucasArts graphic adventure game, Sam and Max Hit the Road. I think it's time this game got the recognition it deserves, don't you?

Feel free to talk about the original point-and-click exploits of Steve Purcell's canine shamus and lagomorph companion here... don't be shy!

Bad Asp on

• Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This game was very good.

I'm not so sure about this thread.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I guess we could turn it into a "Save The World"/"Beyond Time and Space" thread. Those were pretty good. Got really Whammy and self referential near the end, so I have no idea where they'll go with Season 3, whenever they get to it.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    If they get to it.

By the way, I heard a rumor that Telltale is planning on bringing the Hit the Road voices back. Check this post on Telltale's message board if you don't believe me:

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=228952&postcount=55

In this post, "Chuck", a Telltale staff member, claims that the company is "holding the Hit the Road actors hostage". Could it be for a remake of an existing Sam and Max product? Or an all-new Sam and Max series entirely? Or are they just holding them hostage? Or are they in reality not holding them hostage and just saying they're holding them hostage just to mess with people's heads? My money's on the latter, but in this day and age, anything can happen!

Bad Asp on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    man, i actually like the new voices, Sam is way easier to follow than on the original TV series.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Maybe in the new season, Telltale S&M team up with Lucasarts S&M and cartoon S&M to fight crime and sell fluffy merchandise.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Well, I don't want to spoil anything, but
    wasn't one of the jokes in the cancelled "Sam and Max: Freelance Police" going to involve mirror world doubles of our favorite dog and hyperkinetic lagomorph, voiced by the actors from the cartoon?

They already changed their Max once, due to the actor getting sick.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited November 2009
    Also, cartoon Sam was King Koopa. You know. From your saturday morning childhood.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Also, cartoon Sam was King Koopa. You know. From your saturday morning childhood.

I still don't know why they couldn't use the original voices from Hit the Road in the cartoon series. I mean, it's not like they haven't done children's cartoons before. Heck, Bill Farmer's the current voice of Disney's Goofy, for Pete's sake!

Bad Asp on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Aldo wrote: »
    man, i actually like the new voices, Sam is way easier to follow than on the original TV series.

That's not actually the Hit the Road voice actor, though. I believe he's the current voice of Goofy, which means he's probably stupidly expensive as far as voice actors go.

I don't think there was anything wrong with the Season voice actors, but the voice acting in the original game was definitely the high point for me. I actually don't think it holds up that well, however. At least not as much as the other Lucasarts adventures do. It starts out great, and has several fantastic setpieces/scenes, but everything in-between is kinda boring, and the puzzle design isn't great. Also, I really could do without the entire sasquatch storyline.

Edit: Beaten on the Goofy bit

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I only ever played the floppy disk version, so I never heard the voices.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Maybe if you want this thread to last a bit longer, make it a general LucasArts adventure game thread?

Also because man, I love Sam and Max a lot, but I love basically all of the others more.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I do enjoy the game(s), but the OP needs color.

tunnel.jpg

Pyrotechnics!

snmcombust.jpg

Delicious rodents!

snm1.jpg

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Much as I love every LucasArts adventure game, I'm not entirely certain that Hit the Road deserves its own thread unless it's getting a LP or something.

That said, I actually like the Telltale series more than Hit the Road. I know I have the patience to play through an entire 12-15 hour long (without walkthrough) adventure game of yore, but I also realize that not everybody does. Also the new voices are better.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I just like that the COPS sound like Colbert.

"We are useful!"

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    When are they gonna put Sam & Max Hit the Road on Steam? :(

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    RaggieRaggie Schattenjäger Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I treasure my Surfin' the Highway comic book.

Not often do heroes get saved by spontanious combustion.

Raggie on
    ypvha57nnenm.jpg
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    When are they gonna put Sam & Max Hit the Road on Steam? :(
    Seconded. I finally got around to playing Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis via Staff of Kings on the Wii, and after enjoying Season 1 greatly (when is Telltale gonna put Season 2 on the Wii, anyway?) I'd like to play the one that started it all.

Speaking of the old cartoon, which I vaguely remember, here's a cool rundown of some of the funniest moments on the show. I really need to get it on DVD someday.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I enjoyed the show a lot more than I expected to.

It even has Mack Salmon.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    OgdillaOgdilla Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Did anyone else take issue with the audio compression quality in the first two Telltale seasons? Tales from Monkey Island sounds okay so I hope that problem is fixed.

Ogdilla on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ogdilla wrote: »
    Did anyone else take issue with the audio compression quality in the first two Telltale seasons? Tales from Monkey Island sounds okay so I hope that problem is fixed.

No? But I own the 360 versions, so...

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Gar kingGar king Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    when is season 3 coming out, last time I checked it was supposed to be in 09'

Gar king on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    zel999.png
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The audio issue has driven me insane. I cringe every time an "s" sound comes up, especially from anyone with a remotely high pitched voice.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Gar king wrote: »
    when is season 3 coming out, last time I checked it was supposed to be in 09'

They had better things to do.

No seriously, they got the Monkey Island license and they're focused on that first.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited November 2009
    Speaking of the animated series, I would be praising the heavens if Steve Purcell greenlit a new Sam and Max series for Adult Swim. (As for the voices? I want the Hit the Road ones, obviously!)

What do you think, people? Is it a good idea?

Bad Asp on
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Bad Asp wrote: »
    Speaking of the animated series, I would be praising the heavens if Steve Purcell greenlit a new Sam and Max series for Adult Swim. (As for the voices? I want the Hit the Road ones, obviously!)

Stick it inbetween Metalocalypse and Venture Brothers and you're probably golden! The Sam & Max brand of subversive, sly humor might work well on AS; it'd certainly be better than some of the junk they show that winds up being head-scratchingly popular (I'm looking at you Tim and Eric!). If anything, I'd just like to see the old series resurface on Cartoon Network or one of its spinoff channels.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    ScabiesScabies The InternetRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Thought I should poke my head in here. Obvious reasons.

"Remember our old car?"
    "I said I was sorry!"

Scabies on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wetflamewetflame Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This is pretty much one of my absolute favourite games, but now the solution to every puzzle is burned into my brain, and I'll never get that same enjoyment out of it. I'll still love it for the humour, the art and the quality of the writing though.

wetflame on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    That damn rasp acquiring puzzle.

I have to use the bathroom.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited November 2009
    Facilities be damned, I need a bathroom.

Oh god, I can hear the Snuckey's elevator music in my head.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Stick it inbetween Metalocalypse and Venture Brothers and you're probably golden! The Sam & Max brand of subversive, sly humor might work well on AS; it'd certainly be better than some of the junk they show that winds up being head-scratchingly popular (I'm looking at you Tim and Eric!). If anything, I'd just like to see the old series resurface on Cartoon Network or one of its spinoff channels.

There's a lot of reasons why that'll never happen. Primarily because Adult Swim will never do anything that makes sense.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    There's a lot of reasons why that'll never happen. Primarily because Adult Swim will never do anything that makes sense.

And what are the others, if you say there's a lot of reasons? Hmm? I'd like to see you name them!

Bad Asp on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

And what are the others, if you say there's a lot of reasons? Hmm? I'd like to see you name them!

Okay . . .

Off the top of my head here's the biggest two I'd go to an Adult swim thread in one of the other forums and ask there if you need more so as not to derail this topic further -

-It costs money but will not make them money. There's a reason they do their shows in flash and charge 50 bucks for DVDs and ancillary merch. They'd have to split that with whoever holds Sam and Max's license and they won't do that. There's a reason they barely acknowledge they air anime.

- Advertisers won't like it. Despite being fairly good the first Sam and MAx cartoon bombed. Advertisers look that sort of thing up.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Okay . . .

Off the top of my head here's the biggest two I'd go to an Adult swim thread in one of the other forums and ask there if you need more so as not to derail this topic further -

-It costs money but will not make them money. There's a reason they do their shows in flash and charge 50 bucks for DVDs and ancillary merch. They'd have to split that with whoever holds Sam and Max's license and they won't do that. There's a reason they barely acknowledge they air anime.

- Advertisers won't like it. Despite being fairly good the first Sam and MAx cartoon bombed. Advertisers look that sort of thing up.

Um, I was going to suggest that they do the show in Flash anyway. I mean, it's not like they haven't done that before.

http://www.lightsourcestudios.com

And why did the first Sam and Max cartoon "bomb"? Well, I think it was because there was no Adult Swim back then. Steve Purcell, for some reason, chose to make it a children's cartoon instead.

Compare this to Duckman, which aired late at night on USA, had lots of swearing and adult situations, and lasted for four seasons.

I think the main reason a Sam and Max cartoon isn't being made for Adult Swim today is because there aren't many people putting in the effort to actually ask for one.

So I ask all the people reading this forum... if you actually want Sam and Max to be revived on Adult Swim, speak up. You deserve to be heard. Don't be shy!

Bad Asp on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    An awesome jewel in the point and click Lucas Arts crown. I got stuck for months on the bit where you take control of the rotating restaurant to use the telescope and find frog rock. The when finally past that I blew through the rest quite quickly. I used to stick the CD in and listen to 'King of Creatures' quite often as well :D

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Okay . . .

Um, I was going to suggest that they do the show in Flash anyway. I mean, it's not like they haven't done that before.

http://www.lightsourcestudios.com

And why did the first Sam and Max cartoon "bomb"? Well, I think it was because there was no Adult Swim back then. Steve Purcell, for some reason, chose to make it a children's cartoon instead.

Compare this to Duckman, which aired late at night on USA, had lots of swearing and adult situations, and lasted for four seasons.

I think the main reason a Sam and Max cartoon isn't being made for Adult Swim today is because there aren't many people putting in the effort to actually ask for one.

So I ask all the people reading this forum... if you actually want Sam and Max to be revived on Adult Swim, speak up. You deserve to be heard. Don't be shy!

Are you like twelve?

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Are you like twelve?

No, I'm 31.

And I think you're only posting stuff like this just to discourage me, and I would like to see you not do anything like that again.

And like I said before, if any of you out there want Sam and Max revived on Adult Swim, don't be afraid to speak up. (And not say stuff like "are you twelve?", okay?)

Bad Asp on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I would love seeing Sam and Max on Adult Swim, but I seriously doubt it would ever happen.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Are you like twelve?

No, I'm 31.

And I think you're only posting stuff like this just to discourage me, and I would like to see you not do anything like that again.

And like I said before, if any of you out there want Sam and Max revived on Adult Swim, don't be afraid to speak up. (And not say stuff like "are you twelve?", okay?)

Your logic lacks what's the phrase ? Basis in reality. My assumption of your age is solely based on that.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Anyway, it would be really nice if Hit the Road got a "Special Edition" version. I think it should be animated in Flash, by the very animation studio I recommended in post #34. The voices should stay the way they were in the original version (sorry, Nowlin and Kasten fans!). And I think they should add like new mini-games, you know like animated flipbooks, a "Max Vs. The Robots" fighting game, and a Sam and Max "Alphabet Soup" game... whatever that is.

(By the way, about those three games... I found out about them by browsing through the game's dialogue. I think they were planned to be in the original game but ended up getting cut at the last minute.)

Bad Asp on
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Wait... Hit the road had voice acting?

Shit

Road Block on