Options

Dragon Age: Origins: Dog armor addon this holiday season! (Gameplay tips in OP)

• Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ranadiel wrote: »
    Goomba wrote: »
    Bethryn wrote: »
    So that's a no on reading codexes or watching cutscenes.
    Specifically which Codex entry are you talking about?
    Let me comb through every entry so I can get back to you re: the entry that talks about darkspawn or archdemons in any way.
    Don't worry, I can wait.
    Okay, here we go. It's the one that talks about Archdemons and Broodmothers.

And you're not going to copy/paste it?

Okay, here's why your idea for an ending wouldn't work.

Dragon Age: Origins isn't Warcraft 3 and they didn't want you to make your character as completely unlikable and whiny and pathetic as Arthas.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    TagTag Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Pancake wrote: »
    Let me comb through every entry so I can get back to you re: the entry that talks about darkspawn or archdemons in any way.
    Don't worry, I can wait.

Dragon Age: Origins isn't Warcraft 3 and they didn't want you to make your character as completely unlikable and whiny and pathetic as Arthas.

I thought Arthas was just an Arcane Warrior.

Tag on
    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    Don't worry, I can wait.

Nor am I going to play the game for you. Sorry.

It's more fun and fruitful if you read the entries yourself.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GreenleafGreenleaf Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I know it sucks and everything but how does one build a good shapeshifter?
    Does it scale the forms damage on Magic? I heard somewhere that there's a bug that it scales to STR instead.

Greenleaf on
  • Options
    RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Don't worry, I can wait.

See now, as I recall, almost every time a dialogue opens up regarding your being a Grey Warden, you almost always have the option to choose dialogue that expresses frustration about not having a choice, being forced into becoming a Warden, or doubting your ability, or being upset and feeling betrayed over certain revelations about being a Grey Warden.

The options are there, and you can certainly portray yourself as frustrated and angry over the whole situation. Just because you choose not to go with them doesn't change the fact that they are there. Your Warden can be a frustrated, angry, reluctant and unwilling anti-hero just as easily as they can be a heroic beacon of shining goodness.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    What you're describing though isn't even close to an anti-hero though Ranadiel, it's being a complete psychopath. There's a line between saying "fuck this I'm out" and "BURN THE WORLD"

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    See now, as I recall, almost every time a dialogue opens up regarding your being a Grey Warden, you almost always have the option to choose dialogue that expresses frustration about not having a choice, being forced into becoming a Warden, or doubting your ability, or being upset and feeling betrayed over certain revelations about being a Grey Warden.

The options are there, and you can certainly portray yourself as frustrated and angry over the whole situation. Just because you choose not to go with them doesn't change the fact that they are there. Your Warden can be a frustrated, angry, reluctant and unwilling anti-hero just as easily as they can be a heroic beacon of shining goodness.

And yet you can't be so completely devoid of redeeming qualities as you would like.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

I've actually created characters like this and used those options, but unfortunately they just seem to make me more frustrated because the game funnels you forward into doing what it wants you to do. You are impotent, and not because the situation is just bigger than you, but that the dialogue choices for you to say 'Fuck off, I'm leaving' are not there. :P

Thus, I end up becoming diseffected by those characters, get bored and start over. I've finally managed to create a bloodthirsty City Elf who is just interested enough to want to combat the Blight that I can keep moving forward through the story while at the same time slaughtering everything in my path.

And somehow, at the same time, keep a very high approval rating with Alistair.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Which number? I've not found anything regarding why Archdemons don't talk to you yet.
    And yet you can't be so completely devoid of redeeming qualities as you would like.
    You obviously haven't met one of my characters.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    "You need to become a Grey Warden!"
    "Fuck you,I won't."
    "It is your destiny!"
    "I don't want to,god dammit I want to stay here."
    "I will make you a Grey Warden."
    "No. Stop it! STOP I DON'T WANT TO BECOME ONE!"
    "You are now a Grey Warden like so many before you."
    "GOD DAMMIT!"

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Well get more than 15 minutes into the game and watch the cutscene right after you leave Lothering, then. That explains it.

So does the codex concerning Archdemons, but the cutscene does it with more than stupid, boring ol' words.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I've actually created characters like this and used those options, but unfortunately they just seem to make me more frustrated because the game funnels you forward into doing what it wants you to do. You are impotent, and not because the situation is just bigger than you, but that the dialogue choices for you to say 'Fuck off, I'm leaving' are not there. :P

And that would make for a very short game.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    What you're describing though isn't even close to an anti-hero though Ranadiel, it's being a complete psychopath. There's a line between saying "fuck this I'm out" and "BURN THE WORLD"

Everyone's got a breaking point. Considering the amount of shit the Warden goes through over the course of the game, I'm surprised they didn't snap sooner.

And let's not start talking about the line of "complete psychopath" - there are at least a few actions I can rattle off the top of my head that very clearly cross the bounds into Psycho Land.
    * Telling the Lady of the Forest to slaughter all the Dalish - you can't tell me that this isn't an act of a total nutjob. Ordering the extermination of an entire Clan for the actions of their leader when they had no idea going on, that's crazy.

* Sacrificing the elves in Denerim - again, this is the act of a bloodthirsty psycho. You just can't justify the outright murder of defenseless people locked in cages for +1 constitution without crossing into psychopath territory.

* Allowing Kitty to possess the girl in Honnleath - this is again the act of a demon loving psycho. She doesn't even offer you anything in return, she just asks you to free her. SURE! I'LL RELEASE A DEMON UNTO THE WORLD NO PROB! I chose this once, just to see what would happen, and I was shocked - shocked! - that the game actually let you, considering so far it'd pretty much pigeon-holed me into doing the right thing.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

They should make it like those Choose Your Own Adventure books and just give you a terrible epilogue ending where things go horribly wrong for you :P

Tag on
  • Options
    LionLion Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You can choose not to be a Grey Warden with interesting results.
    Turn the game off and imagine Orlais took care of shit for you. The End. Then you go on the internet and complain how you spent $60 for a 20 minute game.

Lion on
    PSN: WingedLion | XBL: Winged Lion
  • Options
    BirdsWayBirdsWay Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

But that would make for an awesome game over screen.

"Your journey has ended... Really? You paid $60 to quit before the Origin is even over? I'm glad we spent 5 years of our lives making this game for you. Ass."

BirdsWay on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Tag wrote: »

They should make it like those Choose Your Own Adventure books and just give you a terrible epilogue ending where things go horribly wrong for you :P

I used to love those things.

I also remember, when I was a kid, there was a choose your own adventure game line you used to be able to call, where a recorded narrator would tell you the story and prompt you to make choices. It was neat, and I don't even remember where I heard of it.
    BirdsWay wrote:
    But that would make for an awesome game over screen.

"Your journey has ended... Really? You paid $60 to quit before the Origin is even over? I'm glad we spent 5 years of our lives making this game for you. Ass."

That would have been absolutely hilarious. Reminds me of the Earthworm Jim Special Edition "What are worms" ending on the Sega CD, when you beat the game on Practice.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Everyone's got a breaking point. Considering the amount of shit the Warden goes through over the course of the game, I'm surprised they didn't snap sooner.

And let's not start talking about the line of "complete psychopath" - there are at least a few actions I can rattle off the top of my head that very clearly cross the bounds into Psycho Land.
    * Telling the Lady of the Forest to slaughter all the Dalish - you can't tell me that this isn't an act of a total nutjob. Ordering the extermination of an entire Clan for the actions of their leader when they had no idea going on, that's crazy.

* Sacrificing the elves in Denerim - again, this is the act of a bloodthirsty psycho. You just can't justify the outright murder of defenseless people locked in cages for +1 constitution without crossing into psychopath territory.

* Allowing Kitty to possess the girl in Honnleath - this is again the act of a demon loving psycho. She doesn't even offer you anything in return, she just asks you to free her. SURE! I'LL RELEASE A DEMON UNTO THE WORLD NO PROB! I chose this once, just to see what would happen, and I was shocked - shocked! - that the game actually let you, considering so far it'd pretty much pigeon-holed me into doing the right thing.
    Telling the Lady of the Forest to slaughter all the Dalish is less psycho than killing a tribe of werewolves you now know (at this point in the quest) aren't completely bestial and have found a way to regain some higher thought processes and that they were made into werewolves by an angry elf who was wronged by some humans (in a very bad way) hundreds of years ago?

Sacrificing the elves in Denerim I'll give you. That's a pretty black and white choice as far as I can recall.

Allowing Kitty to possess the girl in Honnleath gets you what you came to Honnleath for in the first place: a friggin' golem. Probably the most lovable golem in Ferelden, no less. It's not psychopathic, just kinda apathetic. Besides, if you look at the codex entry for Wilhelm's journal you find down there (kind of a spoiler)
    it's not even his biological daughter
    , so I didn't really feel bad for letting the demon go off in her body (though to be honest, I was probably very aggrivated at her constantly saying the same thing to Kitty while I was sloving that puzzle)

Extreaminatus on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Telling the Lady of the Forest to slaughter all the Dalish is less psycho than killing a tribe of werewolves you now know (at this point in the quest) aren't completely bestial and have found a way to regain some higher thought processes and that they were made into werewolves by an angry elf who was wronged by some humans (in a very bad way) hundreds of years ago?

Sacrificing the elves in Denerim I'll give you. That's a pretty black and white choice as far as I can recall.

Allowing Kitty to possess the girl in Honnleath gets you what you came to Honnleath for in the first place: a friggin' golem. Probably the most lovable golem in Ferelden, no less. It's not psychopathic, just kinda apathetic. Besides, if you look at the codex entry for Wilhelm's journal you find down there (kind of a spoiler)
    it's not even his biological daughter
    , so I didn't really feel bad for letting the demon go off in her body (though to be honest, I was probably very aggrivated at her constantly saying the same thing to Kitty while I was sloving that puzzle)

You missed out on one of the best helms in the game for being a heartless ass, fyi. :p

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Really? Those elves are completely oblivious to what Zathrian has done. They're completely innocent and caught in the middle of the conflict between Witherfang and Zathrian.

At least the werewolves have actually done something wrong and aren't completely innocent in this, even if their motives aren't terrible.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I am allowed a clear conscious whereas you are awarded blood armor. I'll stick with my choice.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Not a very short game, just a very short character lifespan. After which I could start over, and make a character who is less of an ass. :P

Someone mentioned the 'Choose Your Own Adventure' angle... that's sorta what I meant. I miss the days when RPGs had fail conditions.

I'm not demanding this or anything, either... just observing that it wasn't possible for me to tell people to fuck off, so when I tried to make very reluctant Wardens, it just didn't fit into the story well at all so I needed to temper my outlook when I created a character.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I agree, massacring a lot of innocent elves led by one evil leader is far more morally justifiable than killing a bunch of furious vengeful creatures only kept in check by a benevolent spirit who attacked, ambushed and infected said innocent elves. I can totally see where you're coming from.

;)

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So I'm up to Denerim with my Mage. I love this game and reading the forums makes me want to play it more.

I was thinking about doing a Dwarf Rogue campaign, is there any tips from the achondroplasian population out there?

McAllen on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    McAllen wrote: »
    So I'm up to Denerim with my Mage. I love this game and reading the forums makes me want to play it more.

I was thinking about doing a Dwarf Rogue campaign, is there any tips from the achondroplasian population out there?
    High Dexterity and Cunning + Lethality + Dual Daggers + Momentum = amazing DPS

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    if you refused, duncan would just storyknife you

I mean, does the game really need obvious fail conditions? Can't you just imagine them?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »

I mean, does the game really need obvious fail conditions? Can't you just imagine them?

Hardcore mode. When you die, your character is erased.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I wish Big Bald Blubbering Babyknight could be a character that I play as. What the hell, Bioware? >: (

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2009

No. Any game that offers you choices must let you do literally anything.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009

They don't have to be obvious failures; I would have liked a few outs from actually being a gray warden but still along for the quest (like everyone but Alister). There are plenty of ways your character could have made it to Ostigar without Duncan, and from there been caught up in the battle, hook up with Alister somehow, and then gone on your merry way.
    Human Noble: go chasing after your brother at Ostigar and arrive just as the battle starts
    Mage: Betray Jowan and get deployed to the battle
    etc. It may be a little trickier for the dwarves and elves, but not really unworkable.

Tag on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Really? Those elves are completely oblivious to what Zathrian has done. They're completely innocent and caught in the middle of the conflict between Witherfang and Zathrian.

At least the werewolves have actually done something wrong and aren't completely innocent in this, even if their motives aren't terrible.

it some point, being totally retardedly ignorant stops being an excuse

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    But in every Origin Duncan has been keeping an eye on you since before the game starts. If you just happened to show up, he'd probably just recruit you then.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Tag wrote: »

They don't have to be obvious failures; I would have liked a few outs from actually being a gray warden but still along for the quest (like everyone but Alister). There are plenty of ways your character could have made it to Ostigar without Duncan, and from there been caught up in the battle, hook up with Alister somehow, and then gone on your merry way.
    Human Noble: go chasing after your brother at Ostigar and arrive just as the battle starts
    Mage: Betray Jowan and get deployed to the battle
    etc. It may be a little trickier for the dwarves and elves, but not really unworkable.

the whole story of the game changes pretty fundamentally if you are not a warden

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

It happened centuries ago. Long before any of these elves were even born. It hasn't been an issue for a long time for anyone but their leader. I guess it's okay to murder them, then.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Blackjack wrote: »
    McAllen wrote: »

High Dexterity and Cunning + Lethality + Dual Daggers + Momentum = amazing DPS

This so much. I don't have lethality yet, but with two enchanted daggers, nearly equal dex/cun, momentum, expert dual wield, and the ability that widens your backstab area, I'm straight up murdering yellow mobs more or less by myself at level 9.

It's such a huge difference from my first char, who was a tank. Battles are over in half the time this time around, if not faster.

Havelock on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

I'm pretty sure there's, like, no indication
    the werewolves are anything but blood thirsty monsters until you actually talk to the spirit. And the elves haven't kill werewolves for anything but defensive reasons.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    My favorite "oh my god that's so mean" choice is during the unlocking of the Arcane Warrior specialization.
    You find this phylactery with some dude inside it who is going nearly crazy from being trapped alone so long. You talk to him, convince him you're real, he tells you he'll teach you what he knows if you destroy the phylactery (kill him.) After you agree and he teaches you, he asks that you hold up your end of the bargain.

One of the choices is, verbatim:

Nah. *toss the phylactery aside.*

Aistan on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

What's so bad about desire demons? They give people what they want and not much else. I guess they'll act in self-defense too, what with
    using Shale to kill Wilhelm
    but doesn't seem to me that they're inherently evil. It's just that the people who use them are sometimes evil. And occasionally they force themselves on people, but that doesn't mean all of them do. (Actually have we had a desire demon known to have forced itself on somebody? The abominations maybe, but we don't know those are desire demons or whatnot....)

I mean, we know of the existence of good spirits. And desire isn't a sin in the same way rage, sloth, and pride are. Bwegh.

hippofant on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

It happened centuries ago. Long before any of these elves were even born. It hasn't been an issue for a long time for anyone but their leader. I guess it's okay to murder them, then.
    the spirit talks about how they sent messages to the dalish and never got a response. Also the whole "leader's unnatural lifespan" thing. Basically the game makes it clear that they don't question their leader at all, even when a bunch of obviously intelligent werewolves and a weird forest-spirit-thing are on their doorstep saying "hey zathrian stop being a cock."

hard to feel incredibly sympathetic for them

also, the wolves are innocents too. They don't do anything at all to the elves until they don't have any other choice.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    hippofant wrote: »

What's so bad about desire demons? They give people what they want and not much else. I guess they'll act in self-defense too, what with
    using Shale to kill Wilhelm
    but doesn't seem to me that they're inherently evil. It's just that the people who use them are sometimes evil. And occasionally they force themselves on people, but that doesn't mean all of them do.

I mean, we know of the existence of good spirits. And desire isn't a sin in the same way rage, sloth, and pride are. Bwegh.
    They give people what they want, sure.

And after that they suck out the person's soul.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
This discussion has been closed.