As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Age: Origins: Dog armor addon this holiday season! (Gameplay tips in OP)

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    hippofant wrote: »
    * Allowing Kitty to possess the girl in Honnleath - this is again the act of a demon loving psycho. She doesn't even offer you anything in return, she just asks you to free her. SURE! I'LL RELEASE A DEMON UNTO THE WORLD NO PROB! I chose this once, just to see what would happen, and I was shocked - shocked! - that the game actually let you, considering so far it'd pretty much pigeon-holed me into doing the right thing.

What's so bad about desire demons? They give people what they want and not much else. I guess they'll act in self-defense too, what with
    using Shale to kill Wilhelm
    but doesn't seem to me that they're inherently evil. It's just that the people who use them are sometimes evil. And occasionally they force themselves on people, but that doesn't mean all of them do. (Actually have we had a desire demon known to have forced itself on somebody? The abominations maybe, but we don't know those are desire demons or whatnot....)

I mean, we know of the existence of good spirits. And desire isn't a sin in the same way rage, sloth, and pride are. Bwegh.

greed, lust, etc.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Goomba wrote: »
    Dyscord wrote: »
    Pancake wrote: »
    Telling the Lady of the Forest to slaughter all the Dalish is less psycho than killing a tribe of werewolves you now know (at this point in the quest) aren't completely bestial and have found a way to regain some higher thought processes and that they were made into werewolves by an angry elf who was wronged by some humans (in a very bad way) hundreds of years ago?
    Really? Those elves are completely oblivious to what Zathrian has done. They're completely innocent and caught in the middle of the conflict between Witherfang and Zathrian.

At least the werewolves have actually done something wrong and aren't completely innocent in this, even if their motives aren't terrible.

it some point, being totally retardedly ignorant stops being an excuse
    I'm pretty sure there's, like, no indication
    the werewolves are anything but blood thirsty monsters until you actually talk to the spirit. And the elves haven't kill werewolves for anything but defensive reasons.
    There's at least 2 pieces of evidence that werewolves aren't purely bloodthirsty monsters:
    1) The conversation with the spouse who was recently bitten
    2) Swiftrunner comes up talks to you and says you're a pawn, and don't know the whole story. Go away. Not exactly blood thirsty. He even accepts a chance to talk.

I feel there's more, but thats all I can come up with off the top of my head.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    the spirit talks about how they sent messages to the dalish and never got a response. Also the whole "leader's unnatural lifespan" thing. Basically the game makes it clear that they don't question their leader at all, even when a bunch of obviously intelligent werewolves and a weird forest-spirit-thing are on their doorstep saying "hey zathrian stop being a cock."

hard to feel incredibly sympathetic for them

also, the wolves are innocents too. They don't do anything at all to the elves until they don't have any other choice.
    Monsters coming out of the forest to kill people in a camp. Nothing about any messages or said monsters conversing with anyone. Certainly nothing hinting at intelligence.

Elves used to be immortal, so of course they are going to follow an elf that has rediscovered even the tiniest bit of their past.

The wolves aren't innocent at all.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Guys there's really no question that Desire Demons are evil. For one, they're of the demon classification. Demons and spirits are two distinctly different kind of Fade inhabitant. One is parasitic the other is symbiotic where concerns their interactions with mortals. Demons literally use people up and inhabit their hollowed out shell

Hunger, Rage, Sloth, Desire, and Pride are demons. Faith, Valor, Virtue and so forth are spirits.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    There's at least 2 pieces of evidence that werewolves aren't purely bloodthirsty monsters:
    2) Swiftrunner comes up talks to you and says you're a pawn, and don't know the whole story. Go away. Not exactly blood thirsty. He even accepts a chance to talk.

Even then, those aren't to any elves. They just attack the elves and somehow they're supposed to know the entire story behind it?

And demons aren't evil, they're just jealous spirits. They want to walk around in the world, create, all of the benefits that non-spirits have. They take a bad part of people and they mimic it. They aren't evil.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ranadiel wrote: »
    * Allowing Kitty to possess the girl in Honnleath - this is again the act of a demon loving psycho. She doesn't even offer you anything in return, she just asks you to free her. SURE! I'LL RELEASE A DEMON UNTO THE WORLD NO PROB! I chose this once, just to see what would happen, and I was shocked - shocked! - that the game actually let you, considering so far it'd pretty much pigeon-holed me into doing the right thing.

What's so bad about desire demons? They give people what they want and not much else. I guess they'll act in self-defense too, what with
    but doesn't seem to me that they're inherently evil. It's just that the people who use them are sometimes evil. And occasionally they force themselves on people, but that doesn't mean all of them do. (Actually have we had a desire demon known to have forced itself on somebody? The abominations maybe, but we don't know those are desire demons or whatnot....)

I mean, we know of the existence of good spirits. And desire isn't a sin in the same way rage, sloth, and pride are. Bwegh.

greed, lust, etc.

They're bad because they're not benevolent spirits. They're looking for what they want and they'll make any kind of deal they can to get it. And feed off of your immortal soul.

Extreaminatus on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Guys there's really no question that Desire Demons are evil. For one, they're of the demon classification. Demons and spirits are two distinctly different kind of Fade inhabitant. One is parasitic the other is symbiotic where concerns their interactions with mortals.

Hunger, Rage, Sloth, Desire, and Pride are demons. Faith, Valor, Virtue and so forth are spirits.

I think thats like saying bad people and good people are two distinctly different kinds of Ferelden inhabitants. What leads you to believe that they are somehow fundamentally different other that how they treat mortals?

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Even then, those aren't to any elves. They just attack the elves and somehow they're supposed to know the entire story behind it?

And demons aren't evil, they're just jealous spirits. They want to walk around in the world, create, all of the benefits that non-spirits have. They take a bad part of people and they mimic it. They aren't evil.

Except for the part where they displace your spirit forever and are parasites by nature.

Edit: Because they're things of magic Chrono. A Sloth Demon can't become a Desire demon like a lazy person can become a motivated person. It is the definition of their existence.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Except for the part where they displace your spirit forever and are parasites by nature.

Edit: Because they're things of magic Chrono. A Sloth Demon can't become a Desire demon like a lazy person can become a motivated person. It is the definition of their existence.
    So are normal spirits. So do normal spirits. They just don't want to cross the veil.

And yes they can. It's what they see as being 'human' so they turn into that. Spirits don't mimic the bad parts, demons don't mimic the good parts. That's the only difference.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    All demons are spirits but not all spirits are demons.

But, to suggest that a demon isn't evil because it's also a spirit is pretty much ridiculous.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    the spirit talks about how they sent messages to the dalish and never got a response. Also the whole "leader's unnatural lifespan" thing. Basically the game makes it clear that they don't question their leader at all, even when a bunch of obviously intelligent werewolves and a weird forest-spirit-thing are on their doorstep saying "hey zathrian stop being a cock."

also, the wolves are innocents too. They don't do anything at all to the elves until they don't have any other choice.
    Monsters coming out of the forest to kill people in a camp. Nothing about any messages or said monsters conversing with anyone. Certainly nothing hinting at intelligence.

Elves used to be immortal, so of course they are going to follow an elf that has rediscovered even the tiniest bit of their past.

If you work through the spirit's dialogue
    it tells you that they sent messengers to the elves every time "the landships came this way," but they never got a response. And when you get to the camp with the wolves, they have a fairly extended dialogue with zathrian and he's all "fuck you I'm never ending the curse." The elves apparently are cool with this.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Are you just making up these rules of magic or is there somewhere written down in the codex somewhere? You're stating these rules about how magical beings work like this and that, but I don't remember anything that really touched on what you're saying. What says that a demon can't become more powerful and say become a desire demon even though it was originally a sloth, for example. I don't think this is codified anywhere, is it?

chrono_traveller on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

it tells you that they sent messengers to the elves every time "the landships came this way," but they never got a response. And when you get to the camp with the wolves, they have a fairly extended dialogue with zathrian and he's all "fuck you I'm never ending the curse." The elves apparently are cool with this.
    They're not cool with it they don't even know

If a messenger would come to the camp, where would they send him? To the Keeper. The Keeper who would, as hard as it may be to believe, not actually tell everyone the message because, hey, guess what, they wouldn't be cool with it

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited December 2009
    Blackjack wrote: »

If a messenger would come to the camp, where would they send him? To the Keeper. The Keeper who would, as hard as it may be to believe, not actually tell everyone the message because, hey, guess what, they wouldn't be cool with it

right, until you show up and tell them

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009

You mean when you're like "oh hay we're gon' kill you all"

Yeah, how dare they not be like "oh, okay, cool" after that.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited December 2009

The current ones don't know. But unless Zatharian covered up all the messengers in an amazing Big Brother scheme by himself, some of the elves must have known the werewolves were sentient, right?

chrono_traveller on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Read my edit, chrono

edit: also,
    It seems like some of them know that, at least, they start out retaining some of their humanity (elfanity. Whatever). The dude whose wife was turned into a werewolf wasn't all "WHAT SHE COULD STILL TALK" if you tell her she succumbed to the curse but not before sending her love.

And the second in command mentions that she suspected that Zathrian had a role in the curse, but not the extent to which it went

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited December 2009
    zathrian also
    told his second in command at least enough about the curse to know how to end it, if not more. So at least one elf is not completely clueless. Two, if you count Athras. And of course they all find out when the wolves show up at the camp.

I mean, it isn't to say that the wolves are white-as-driven-snow innocent either, but the elves are at the very least too dumb to live

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Um
    Conner was possessed by a desire demon :P

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Read my edit, chrono
    Yes, but they need to actually talk to the werewolf to actually send it to the keeper or not. So, they must have known they were sentient right? Either that or they killed him before he even got a word out.

chrono_traveller on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Read my edit, chrono
    Yes, but they need to actually talk to the werewolf to actually send it to the keeper or not. So, they must have known they were sentient right? Either that or they killed him before he even got a word out.
    Or the messengers weren't werewolves? Maybe?

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009

You mean when you're like "oh hay we're gon' kill you all"

Yeah, how dare they not be like "oh, okay, cool" after that.

have you actually done it in game?
    you go to the camp and the spirit talks to zathrian there, in front of a bunch of elves. And he gives basically the same "I'll never stop hating you" speech that he does in the ruins.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Read my edit, chrono
    Well, see, I wasn't assuming they would actually send a werewolf when they know that elves will kill a werewolf because, hey, 'werewolves like to attack and kill us all the fucking time.'

So, yeah, they probably do kill the messenger in that case. Hell, I wouldn't even be surprised if the messenger went apeshit when they saw Zathrian or another elf. Sure they regained their humanity, but it didn't exactly seem like they had an iron-tight grip on it

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited December 2009
    Read my edit, chrono
    Well, see, I wasn't assuming they would actually send a werewolf when they know that elves will kill a werewolf because, hey, 'werewolves like to attack and kill us all the fucking time.'

So, yeah, they probably do kill the messenger in that case. Hell, I wouldn't even be surprised if the messenger went apeshit when they saw Zathrian or another elf. Sure they regained their humanity, but it didn't exactly seem like they had an iron-tight grip on it

they can talk to the player without going apeshit, can't they?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Read my edit, chrono

1) Barely
    2) The player isn't a member of Zathrian's tribe, is he and/or she?

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    zathrian also
    told his second in command at least enough about the curse to know how to end it, if not more. So at least one elf is not completely clueless. Two, if you count Athras. And of course they all find out when the wolves show up at the camp.

I mean, it isn't to say that the wolves are white-as-driven-snow innocent either, but the elves are at the very least too dumb to live

I don't agree with any of this at all.
    The elves (except Zathrian and maybe a few of his inner circle who he's told only part of the truth to) don't know anything about the werewolves except that they attack them. They have no way of knowing that it's Zathrian's fault. They might be able to figure out Zathrian is hiding something from them but I don't see how they possibly could have extrapolated that Zathrian is the cause of the curse from that.

"Too dumb to live" is way too harsh on the elves IMO.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It's specifically stated in the codex that all fade spirits are the same thing. Calling a fade spirit a demon is just a title they give to spirits that mimic the more evil of human emotions.

They even go as far as to say that some spirits don't even understand the emotions they are emulating. For example, one of the codex's states that even though rage demons are emulating hate and rage, they often don't even have a subject to hate. They just channel the emotion.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Read my edit, chrono

Er, not really.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    It's specifically stated in the codex that all fade spirits are the same thing. Calling a fade spirit a demon is just a title they give to spirits that mimic the more evil of human emotions.

They even go as far as to say that some spirits don't even understand the emotions they are emulating. For example, one of the codex's states that even though rage demons are emulating hate and rage, they often don't even have a subject to hate. They just channel the emotion.

Right because it's their nature. I guess you could argue that this makes them neutral because they don't know/aren't capable of any better but a being that isn't CAPABLE of anything but parasitically draining people and acting on their dark side is evil for all intents and purposes relevant to us now isn't it?

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Read my edit, chrono

Er, not really.

yes, really

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Read my edit, chrono

1) Barely

I don't think the dalish really have tribes. They dalish are a tribe of elves, they just live in different camps

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Read my edit, chrono

1) Barely

I don't think the dalish really have tribes. They dalish are a tribe of elves.
    Clan, then.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    About spirits/demons:

I wouldn't personally like the canon to come out and confirm strict categories for creatures of the fade. I imagine they would be as varied in motivation and good/evilness as the PC races ace, maybe even more so considering that in the fade perception can actually shape reality.

I realize that since it's a game and they can only model so many different types of enemies they split the demons into categories. But I interpreted the categories as broad classifications rather than something concrete, and that every spirit/demon is unique.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Read my edit, chrono

Er, not really.

yes, really

chrono_traveller on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'm not sure if a creature defined in no small part by the fact that they have to emulate mortals can, simultaneously, have personalities as varied as the species on which they depend for definition.

In and of themselves I mean, this is a bit of a contradiction.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Read my edit, chrono

1) Barely

Clan, then.

no, you aren't from the same camp, but it's not clear that would really be relevant anyway. My sense was that there is a fair amount of dalish solidarity, they just live spread out as befits a hunter/gatherer society

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Dalish stuff:
    Read my edit, chrono

1) Barely

Clan, then.
    no, you aren't from the same camp, but it's not clear that would really be relevant anyway. My sense was that there is a fair amount of dalish solidarity, they just live spread out as befits a hunter/gatherer society
    There's solidarity, but there are also different clans and they are all easily identified as different clans by their tattoos.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited December 2009
    Dalish stuff:
    Read my edit, chrono

1) Barely

Clan, then.
    There's solidarity, but there are also different clans and they are all easily identified as different clans by their tattoos.

it doesn't really matter anyway, unless zathrian is handing out 'werewolf-go-crazy' cologne to all his hunters

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Right because it's their nature. I guess you could argue that this makes them neutral because they don't know/aren't capable of any better but a being that isn't CAPABLE of anything but parasitically draining people and acting on their dark side is evil for all intents and purposes relevant to us now isn't it?

I agree. Even if the demons are not evil in the same way humans are evil. Humans will still take actions to prevent themselves from harm. And since it is usually fruitless or even potentially destructive to try and reason or bargain with a demon, it's best served to simply kill them outright.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'm not sure if a creature defined in no small part by the fact that they have to emulate mortals can, simultaneously, have personalities as varied as the species on which they depend for definition.

In and of themselves I mean, this is a bit of a contradiction.

I'm confused about what you mean by "have to emulate mortals". I took away from the whole spirit discussions that they are living beings in the fade, their "world". Demons are simply those that wish to take control of a mortal to escape the fade by forcefully possessing them. The stronger ones can use feelings like desire while the weaker ones are relegated to sloth, using our previous example.

But I would say that, like what yougottawanna said, is that mortals don't know (or at least the mortals that we meet) much about demons beyond what they do. It could be as simple is that a desire demon is something akin to a demon who can use the feeling desire as a weapon. It might be the same way a demon might say describe a fire mage, for example. We just don't have enough info to say anything definitively.

chrono_traveller on
This discussion has been closed.