Options

[LOTRO] 1/21 - 1/25 Free Return Weekend

• Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Can you download the hi-res textures, or does that still require the disks?

I've heard that Rohan's probably coming in 2010, and there's approximately a 20,000% chance I'll resub for that.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, high res is available.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    s3rial one wrote: »
    Can you download the hi-res textures, or does that still require the disks?

I've heard that Rohan's probably coming in 2010, and there's approximately a 20,000% chance I'll resub for that.
    Faster mounts faster mounts faster mounts I WANT FASTER MOUNTS :x

And if there's one thing in Rohan that they don't have in the west it's FAST HORSES!

Aldo on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Rohan had better have the siege of Helm's Deep. And I don't mean you get to "participate in the siege by being somewhere else, in an unseen, but vital role" sort of thing.

I want to see fifty orcs pile over the ramparts and slaughter another fifty soldiers, and such, while I lead a glorious charge against them. That would be awesome.

On another note, how big are the skirmish fights? I've heard people say there can be upwards of 40 allied NPC's fighting on your side, is that true? I haven't had time to play in the past few weeks, so I can't test it myself.

Archonex on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Archonex wrote: »
    Rohan had better have the siege of Helm's Deep. And I don't mean you get to "participate in the siege by being somewhere else, in an unseen, but vital role" sort of thing.

I want to see fifty orcs pile over the ramparts and slaughter another fifty soldiers, and such, while I lead a glorious charge against them. That would be awesome.

On another note, how big are the skirmish fights? I've heard people say there can be upwards of 40 allied NPC's fighting on your side, is that true? I haven't had time to play in the past few weeks, so I can't test it myself.

They can scale from solo to 12-man raids, and each player has a soldier sidekick, so there's 24. Many of them also have a handful of NPCs helping out, the largest I've done is 3-mans so I don't know if the number of NPCs scale in any of them.

I think it'd be neat if they did a scaled up version of skirmishes for the major battles of the war...Helm's Deep, Pelenor Fields, maybe Dale/Lonely Mountain or the major Lothlorien/Mirkwood battles (the whole Siege of Mirkwood being a made up thing for the game, in the books Mirkwood didn't hit Lothlorien til 3 days after Helm's Deep, and Lothlorien didn't bring down Dol Guldur til after Sauron died).

Actually, a big part of me wouldn't mind if they passed on Rohan again and moved into north Mirkwood/Dale/Lonely Mountain. I already know what happens with Rohan, but the northern battles are left largely unexplored in the books.

Scooter on
  • Options
    dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I dunno, I was doing my class quests, and also doing the fellowship quests, and Boromir kept on saying, "hey, I'll see you in Minas Tirith, OK?" So maybe they want us following disecretly behind the fellowship, helping out. Although yeah, the expansions so far have been concentrating on fronts of the war less seen in the books, Like Angmar and Mirkwood. Mainly because there's less lore to screw up on purpose or accident, but also because Elrond says we have to draw the enemy's eyes away from that ring. And yeah, we had to clean up all the horrors that were awoken due to careless hobbitses in Moria.

Out of curiosity, what was the original end-game stuff? Carn Dum and that zombie dragon in Misty Mountains?

dojango on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    And a balrog in Angmar.

Scooter on
  • Options
    Simon MoonSimon Moon Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The Rift wasn't added until book 11.

Simon Moon on
    Steam: simon moon
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I don't even know what book we're on now.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    So, just in case any of you end up doing a 6-man run at Tuckborough, the boss at the end summons another lieutenant based on his health, so if he summons one, stop beating on him and kill the lieutenant first. Otherwise you'll just get overwhelmed.

This message has been brought to you by my 600 silver repair bill.

Simon Moon on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Helegrod and Rift were the only 2 end-game instances before Moria I believe. However, they were both huge, think Molten Core/Blackwing Lair from vanilla WoW.

I'm really digging vol2bk9 so far, I love how I can choose whether to do those skirmish quests solo in a FS. It saves me a huge headache to just do those quests without having to haunt GLFF and LFF for hours. =/

Aldo on
  • Options
    iSnortRitaliniSnortRitalin Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Aldo wrote: »
    No crashes, but loading the game takes about thrice as long as pre-SoM for me. :(
    same here

iSnortRitalin on
    "I feel like a cranky old man, just bringing this up, but there's alot of you here... so would you do me a favor? When you're playing online.. Have fun.. but don't be a dick, ok?" -Wil Wheaton PAX 2007

LOTRO - Main: Mikkyo, Elf Hunter
    Alt: Raahl, Human Warden
    WOW - Main: Trulku (retired)
    AOC - Retired.. what a let down....
    SWTOR - can't fu*kin wait!!
  • Options
    JohanFlickJohanFlick Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    No crashes, but loading the game takes about thrice as long as pre-SoM for me. :(
    same here

I don't know what is happening to my PC, but I crashed at least 4 time this weekend. Each time it happened when I was zoning into some busy zone (21st, E-something in Mirkwood). Either the game crashed instantly, or I zone in, run around, but can't use any UI features. I think it might be something related to heavy server load, since I have no such problems while playing in the night.

Otherwise, it was very good weekend. Got some Barrovian help to finish damn 2.6.8 and could get the last legendary trait. I love the 1.7k armor, +60 fate, +60 willpower and +1 hope buff. We later went through 2.8.3, and it was much easier at 65 than it was at 60. I also bought a very nice 65 songbook on AH, with very good healing legacies and managed to get it to 28. I'll soon break my old 2nd ages and switch to SoM legendaries.

JohanFlick on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    the game is starting to run like ass for me.

It used to be smooth as hell, and originally I attributed it to higher server populations with the SoM release and characters in my area of loading.

but even in places where I am literally alone I still chug and get terrible frame rates. Its made all the more horrible when I'm traveling by horse.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    JohanFlickJohanFlick Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    the game is starting to run like ass for me.

It used to be smooth as hell, and originally I attributed it to higher server populations with the SoM release and characters in my area of loading.

but even in places where I am literally alone I still chug and get terrible frame rates. Its made all the more horrible when I'm traveling by horse.

Apparently they are doing some server hardware upgrades. Hope it will help the game performance.

Here is the info:

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=307383

JohanFlick on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Archonex wrote: »

It won't have a siege of Helms Deep.

It might, however, have a Battle of the Hornburg.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    The Hornburg is a sucky name though.

Scooter on
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Holy shit, I tried downloading the hi-res client, and they use this Pando Networks crap. I don't know what it is. Their website says something about their cloud and other buzzwords.

Anyway, yeah... what a disaster. It was only downloading at 80k/s, but was still rendering my connection absolutely unusable, even though it's 16/2 mbit.

I'm guessing their "cloud" is actually a poorly-designed BitTorrent client, and my upstream was getting hammered. Or something. I don't know. That thing's worse than Blizzard's downloader, though, and that takes some effort.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    dojango wrote: »
    I dunno, I was doing my class quests, and also doing the fellowship quests, and Boromir kept on saying, "hey, I'll see you in Minas Tirith, OK?"

Call it a hunch, but I dont think you will see Boromir in Minas Tirith :P

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    s3rial one wrote: »
    Holy shit, I tried downloading the hi-res client, and they use this Pando Networks crap. I don't know what it is. Their website says something about their cloud and other buzzwords.

Anyway, yeah... what a disaster. It was only downloading at 80k/s, but was still rendering my connection absolutely unusable, even though it's 16/2 mbit.

I'm guessing their "cloud" is actually a poorly-designed BitTorrent client, and my upstream was getting hammered. Or something. I don't know. That thing's worse than Blizzard's downloader, though, and that takes some effort.
    Yeah pretty much the bolded part. I downloaded the hi-res that way for my laptop (and to keep on hand for when I wipe my desktop in a few months) a few weeks back and it took a good 6 hours or so. Thankfully I was busy playing lotro on my desktop at the same time so I wasn't too annoyed.

AngrySquirrel on
    Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Wait, isn't the hi-res client like 5GB or something? I'm bloody jealous of your download speed, Squirrel. Max speed I have ever achieved on anything was 400kb/s. :(

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Wait, isn't the hi-res client like 5GB or something? I'm bloody jealous of your download speed, Squirrel. Max speed I have ever achieved on anything was 400kb/s. :(
    Yeah 5 or 6 gigs if I recall correctly. I generally see in the 800KB-1MB/s range. This was a fair bit slower. So at roughly 800KB/s should be about 2.2hours for 6GB. That makes 6 hours pretty slow for me.

AngrySquirrel on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yeah 5 or 6 gigs if I recall correctly. I generally see in the 800KB-1MB/s range. This was a fair bit slower. So at roughly 800KB/s should be about 2.2hours for 6GB. That makes 6 hours pretty slow for me.

Dang. I can't wait for the future to arrive at a cheap price* in my town.

*I'm pretty sure I can get faster tubes, but I don't want to spend much more money on internet.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Dang. I can't wait for the future to arrive at a cheap price* in my town.

*I'm pretty sure I can get faster tubes, but I don't want to spend much more money on internet.
    While you are salivating over my connection I'm doing the same over S3rial's (double my pipes). I'm on an 8mbit where he said 16mbit for his. So while I was upset with getting a download speed of about 1/5 (200kB/s on a 1mB/s line) of what I should, he was getting shafted ever harder with about 1/25th (80kB/s on a 2mB/s line) of his speed. Anyway back to the more closely lotro related talk... how about them skirmishes? :)

AngrySquirrel on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Really digging my LM, got to 60 over the weekend hit up lothlorien did all the quests I could got up to 63 (so far), and last night joined a new kin and did 4.7-6.8 all without a minnie! Captain/burg healing and my Lm debuffing.

Man that last fight at the end of 6.8 can be f'ing murder even with us all past 60 we got him low and he unleashed some kind of hellish aoe that put us in a hurt locker. Got that teal cape and it went to the cappy... A WASTE!

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Somehow everyone just keeps running Sword Halls on my server. hardly anyone for skirmishes. I do not mind this all that much so far, I got 18 coins so far and I bought 25rad boots. 17 more helmet and then another 20 for shoulders and then I'll see about replacing my chest/gloves/trousers to the 15rad set.

Preacher: you'll probably get a better cloak for finishing bk7. And otherwise you get a very awesome one early in bk9.

Aldo on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Oh fuck, Preacher plays this game? I'm always up for more means to harass Preacher.

Okay, that's not completely true. But I think I have decided to resub. Just have to decide which class I will go with. I may just decide to keep on playing my old Minstrel, but for some reason I had gotten really sour on that class, even though I had specced him for combat.

Also, does the SoM expansion have anything that I can use before Moria?

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Scooter wrote: »
    The Hornburg is a sucky name though.

Still though, it's the castle being seiged, not the ravine behind the castle that you never actually see.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Somehow everyone just keeps running Sword Halls on my server.

Yeah, Sword Halls is probably the most efficient means of accruing medallions. Fast and easy. Fortunately, Landroval hasn't yet devolved into people running nothing but Sword Halls for medallions and Sammath Gul for the crafting item.

But I'm sure it's coming.

Simon Moon on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Simon Moon wrote: »
    Somehow everyone just keeps running Sword Halls on my server.

Yeah, Sword Halls is probably the most efficient means of accruing medallions. Fast and easy. Fortunately, Landroval hasn't yet devolved into people running nothing but Sword Halls for medallions and Sammath Gul for the crafting item.

But I'm sure it's coming.

I've seen some groups forming for other instances, but not much. Also some groups for Hard Mode. I haven't tried that one yet, killing all 3 bosses at the same time sounds a little toooooo insane to me right now.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Oh fuck, Preacher plays this game? I'm always up for more means to harass Preacher.

Okay, that's not completely true. But I think I have decided to resub. Just have to decide which class I will go with. I may just decide to keep on playing my old Minstrel, but for some reason I had gotten really sour on that class, even though I had specced him for combat.

Also, does the SoM expansion have anything that I can use before Moria?

I play on a different server from the majority of PA (Vilya). But yes I play, I can't think of any direct SoM content prior to 60+, but SoM did bring a craft revamp, a legacy fix up and switch (all legendary weapons go to 60 now regardless of age), and combat has changed a bit though I don't directly notice the difference.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Thanks for the info.

It's a shame about the server. Barrovians come first, so I won't have an opportunity to endure your (charming) remarks about the state I live in.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Thanks for the info.

It's a shame about the server. Barrovians come first, so I won't have an opportunity to endure your (charming) remarks about the state I live in.

Lud insults alaska more than I do, I just remind you that you live in the land of forcible sex as a romantic gesture.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    Thanks for the info.

Lud insults alaska more than I do, I just remind you that you live in the land of forcible sex as a romantic gesture.

It is TOO a legitimate courting method!

Seriously, though, I like yours better than Lud's. Yours are actually funny.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    It is TOO a legitimate courting method!

Seriously, though, I like yours better than Lud's. Yours are actually funny.

Thanks mori, I think thats the difference between me and Lud, I make this schtick look good, also I'm will smith.

So anyways, Loremasters and their wonderful abilities. I swear the eagle pet needs a new pathing algorithim, in 5.5 he couldn't help defend the eastern flank because of a beam... HE'S A FUCKING EAGLE HE SHOULD FLY UNDER IT!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I just love it when the eagle has to take a detour to take the fucking stairs.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I just love it when the eagle has to take a detour to take the fucking stairs.

Moderate incline? Yep question marks over his head. GOD DAMN YOU EAGLE!

He's so useful on enemies, just getting there is his problem. I named my crow Rosencrantz out of my respect of his many abilities (note sarcasm). I named my eagle hamlet, and god damn it he's living up to the title of crazy fucker from denmark.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Time to start thinking about which class I'm going to play. The Minstrel is a strong contender because I already him at like, level 30 or something like that. However, if I had to pick a class to play from scratch, I would not pick a Minstrel knowing what I know now. Not that it's an awful class, but I don't think playing whack-a-mole with health bars is "for me." Looking back, I recall that solo combat wasn't that bad, just a mite slow when my main strategy is healing myself for longer than the enemy can last on its own.

I've always enjoyed tanking in party scenarios, but I hear the Guardian is a mite slow to level. Maybe one of you can elaborate or correct me on this. On the other hand, Warden might be fun.

Burglar looks really really fun. All kinds of cool tricky things to do. But how much does he rely on stealthing? That kind of thing tends to get old for me. But then, maybe I can see past that for a class that's otherwise pretty awesome.

I'm already pretty much set against Loremaster and Champion. I just don't sit well with pet classes. Can't say why.

What does that leave. Runekeeper? The system looks great, but I fear that I'll see a repeat performance of my woes as a hybrid class in WoW: no matter what other awesome stuff I can do, I'll always just be the healer in groups.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    captain is the other pet class, not champion. The only pet a champion brings is hurt. Or something like that.

If you want tricky bastard, go burg. If you like ranged action, go hunter. If you want melee fightin' go champion.

dojango on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Woops. I always made that mistake even as I was playing the game. The words aren't even that similar!

Silas Brown on
This discussion has been closed.