As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Fail of the Lich King: [Chat] 3.3

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Pretty sure the tree gets force shifted out, which is an annoyance.

Speaking as the tank who normally rockets over....really the healer doesn't need to go over. If your dps on the mage is getting the dot from the commander, it means he's doing his throwing thing, which means that the tank rocketed back early or is fucking around.

Nobody on
  • Options
    frylockedfrylocked Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    kurokaze wrote: »
    frylocked wrote: »
    You dont need a healer to rocket over to the other side. Just have the tank stand real close to your home ship and have the healer stand near the canons. They are 100% in range.

The DPS on the other ship is not in range, though, and they take nontrivial damage on occasion from the huge random DoT the enemy commander throws out, and I think a few other things. We did single heal the entire fight one week because the away team healer missed his first jump or jumped before the tank or some other dumbness but it's more stressful.

And why wouldn't you want to be a tree with a jetpack?

The commander only throws that dot if no one is in range.

What we do is have melee jump over only when the mage is out. Most of the time everyone is on home ship.

Melee should be fine unassisted without the dot.

frylocked on
  • Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You dont need a healer to rocket over to the other side. Just have the tank stand real close to your home ship and have the healer stand near the canons. They are 100% in range.

The DPS on the other ship is not in range, though, and they take nontrivial damage on occasion from the huge random DoT the enemy commander throws out, and I think a few other things. We did single heal the entire fight one week because the away team healer missed his first jump or jumped before the tank or some other dumbness but it's more stressful.

iirc it knocks you out of tree (and moonkin) form when you use the jet pack, I think only bears get to stay. (Don't remember about cats)

As long as the tank is the first there and last to leave, the DPS shouldn't be taking any sort of major damage on the other boat. We don't send healers over and we don't have any issues.

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Rocketbears are the best kind of bears.

Samphis on
  • Options
    douglydougly Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Samphis wrote: »
    Rocketbears are the best kind of bears.

Dear Blizzard,

Bird = herbalism - good
    Rocketbear = mining - best

Aaaand go!

dougly on
    puffin.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Silly stupid question, but my bank is full of lockboxes. What are my options for getting them open? Do I need to bribe a rogue/blacksmith/engineer or can I purchase tools to open it somewhere? It's really annoying.

Especially the tiny titanium lockboxes that potentially are keeping epic gems from me....

Samphis on
  • Options
    kurokazekurokaze Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Huh. We're definitely seeing him throw the DoT out while the tank is engaged with him. He consistently spams it nonstop when the tank is not engaged, but our experience has been that it hits targets at apparently random when he is engaged as well, and sometimes he goes nuts and spams it even with the tank there beating on him.

It might be related to the pretty consistent bugging out of my ghoul on that fight, though. This week I tried setting him to 'stay' on our ship (on passive, naturally) and only using it on the enemy's away team, but it still caused Muradin to go nuts and spam it with the DoT and had to be dismissed to reset his buff.

I'm sure somewhere there's a detailed discussion of how pets bug him and how to avoid it - unless it's an isolated issue - but since you can have half your raid AFK and still win the fight I'm not particularly concerned with finding it. I'm slightly surprised it hasn't come up on EJ, but it's hardly shocking since it's so minor (as long as one has the presence of mind to dismiss the thing when it becomes a problem).

kurokaze on
    atehim.jpg
  • Options
    GooseyGooseGooseyGoose Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Silly stupid question, but my bank is full of lockboxes. What are my options for getting them open? Do I need to bribe a rogue/blacksmith/engineer or can I purchase tools to open it somewhere? It's really annoying.

Especially the tiny titanium lockboxes that potentially are keeping epic gems from me....

If you are on Uther, there is a very nice rogue named "lockpique" or something similar. He wears nothing but a goofy hat and jumps around on the bank mailbox opening lockboxes for free.

GooseyGoose on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    since our GM/raid leader is vehemently against 'gear score' (and rightfully so), she avoids performing any sort of vetting on his gear
    Ok, they went way too far in the other direction.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Huh. We're definitely seeing him throw the DoT out while the tank is engaged with him. He consistently spams it nonstop when the tank is not engaged, but our experience has been that it hits targets at apparently random when he is engaged as well, and sometimes he goes nuts and spams it even with the tank there beating on him.

It might be related to the pretty consistent bugging out of my ghoul on that fight, though. This week I tried setting him to 'stay' on our ship (on passive, naturally) and only using it on the enemy's away team, but it still caused Muradin to go nuts and spam it with the DoT and had to be dismissed to reset his buff.

I'm sure somewhere there's a detailed discussion of how pets bug him and how to avoid it - unless it's an isolated issue - but since you can have half your raid AFK and still win the fight I'm not particularly concerned with finding it. I'm slightly surprised it hasn't come up on EJ, but it's hardly shocking since it's so minor (as long as one has the presence of mind to dismiss the thing when it becomes a problem).

Well the fight is kinda buggy to begin with (How many people here got stuck in the second week when their airship stopped moving before it reached the platform?).

I haven't seen any reports on pets causing trouble, I have seen reports where he'll aggro on somebody who's on the "ledge" of their airship after the tank jumps back and he'll keep spamming the throw ability.

Nobody on
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Engineers didn't get a new Seaforium in WotLK, so we can't open all lockboxes. As both skeleton keys and Seaforium charges are consumed by opening boxes, I'd say get a Rogue to do it. Maybe buy him the Glyph of Pick Lock to make it instant.

Grobian on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

I haven't done the fight myself, but there are ways around it if you can reach one guy. Chain heal, wild growth, prayer of mending, circle of healing. Glyph of holy light. Would judgement of light reach that far? Didn't they change prayer of healing so you can target a group nowadays? It's not ideal but there are ways around it. Also if you've got hybrid DPS over there they can help a little.

Bottom line though? A freakin tree with a jetpack? Yes please.

Bobble on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Eh, maybe I'll just make a rogue bank alt.

Samphis on
  • Options
    frylockedfrylocked Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Eh, maybe I'll just make a rogue bank alt.

To open the highest lockboxes, you will need to be level 80.

frylocked on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Lame. I was hoping it would be a power-levelling profession.

Samphis on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Lame. I was hoping it would be a power-levelling profession.

Eh, even if it wasn't 80, most professions require a decent level to get to the cap, don't they? 60? 70?

Once you're there, might as well go the distance.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Well, I do have a whole bunch of Stone Keeper's shards, champion seals and emblems....

Samphis on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Eh, the point is, there's more than one way to do things. My guild at the beginning of WotLK tanked through the insect swarm on Anub'rekhan but split the DPS to soak meteor on 4H; my current guild kites the insect swarm and stacks DPS on one side on 4H letting the other tank eat the full meteor.

And if you're one random PUG filling out a guild group, particularly when you're somewhat being carried and the group isn't struggling, it's not your place to argue how it's done. Just do what you're told, and do not, under any circumstances, ask to be made master looter so that things can be done your way instead of the guild's way.

Re: vetting gear, I certainly wouldn't do it the way she does it, but I sort of understand. On our server, if you ask a damn thing about someone's gear, they're just going to respond "2563 GS" or the like. It's totally entrenched. She doesn't want to deal with explaining to people that no, she doesn't want a stupid number, she wants to know how actually good your gear is - a measurement that would include such relevant information as 'a couple pvp pieces' or 'as a healer, my moonfire ticks can crit'. (Also, the GS requirements you see going out in trade are ridiculous. WowHeroes provides a display of which raids are 'too easy,' 'too hard,' and 'recommended' for each gear level; our server rarely considers a player ready for a group until they are well into the 'too easy' section. IC10 typically seems to be 2800+ or 2750+, and at that gear level, IC25 is marked 'too easy.')

Yeah, you can always armory, but after loading for an hour and seeing their off-spec gear only, it gets a bit frustrating.

kurokaze on
    atehim.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Re: vetting gear, I certainly wouldn't do it the way she does it, but I sort of understand. On our server, if you ask a damn thing about someone's gear, they're just going to respond "2563 GS" or the like. It's totally entrenched. She doesn't want to deal with explaining to people that no, she doesn't want a stupid number, she wants to know how actually good your gear is - a measurement that would include such relevant information as 'a couple pvp pieces' or 'as a healer, my moonfire ticks can crit'. (Also, the GS requirements you see going out in trade are ridiculous. WowHeroes provides a display of which raids are 'too easy,' 'too hard,' and 'recommended' for each gear level; our server rarely considers a player ready for a group until they are well into the 'too easy' section. IC10 typically seems to be 2800+ or 2750+, and at that gear level, IC25 is marked 'too easy.')

Yeah, you can always armory, but after loading for an hour and seeing their off-spec gear only, it gets a bit frustrating.
    Armory pages load in like 3 seconds for me, so I always tend to check those first. Worst-case scenario, you can inspect them when they show up, but only if they have PvP/offspec gear on Armory and you can't find out sooner.

And at 2750+ range on WoW Heroes puts ICC25 in the "medium hard" yellow bar, with ToC25 and ICC10 both at the edge of green.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I believe GS and Wow-heroes are not the same number, however.

captaink on
  • Options
    BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Nobody wrote: »
    Well the fight is kinda buggy to begin with (How many people here got stuck in the second week when their airship stopped moving before it reached the platform?).
    9/10 of my raid did the first week. I did not, because I jetpacked over to the other ship just as it got destroyed...so I was stuck there instead.

Billmaan on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    if you ask us rogues nicely as long as you don't just open trade while we're trying to shop at the AH we'll most likely open them... Unless you're lucky enough to find the biggest dick rogues on your server.

I always liked Be.imba in BC cause it had a big graph with a picture of the instance and your bar filled as you got higher gear. I never knew what number my gear was scored at but it was cool to have a representation of where I was gear level where I should be able to perform well. But I wouldn't use something like that to determine who was moar ubers for pugs, that just seems stupid to me

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Billmaan wrote: »
    Nobody wrote: »
    9/10 of my raid did the first week. I did not, because I jetpacked over to the other ship just as it got destroyed...so I was stuck there instead.

I jetpacked over one time right as the enemy ship was at low health (we weren't certain yet if it was going down or not, because the mage came out and froze the cannons). As I was jumping over we got the message that the ship was going down.

I somehow managed to land somewhere interior of the skybreaker, with no way to jump out (my jump pack was disabled since we were now out of range), and the other person who had jumped with me could see me running around below them. I had to hearth out and fly back to the instance.

Nobody on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The other night I jumped in haste as the tank had left in the middle of a heal I was casting so Muradin turned his steely gaze on me. Apparently my targeting circle was half on the edge of the ship, because I didn't quite land on the edge, and instead slipped off and landed on the chain underneath, with the lip of it blocking me from jumping back up. jumping backwards didn't give me enough clearance for the arc to not bump against it, so I was about to take my chances jumping back to the enemy ship, when I fell off, and found out that falling off doesn't kill you anymore. It just teleports you back to your ship.

And as to your ship getting stuck a couple weeks ago? we had that happen with our Master Looter dead at the teleporter so we couldn't get our loot. My shaman friend just got his helm from that fight 2 days ago, after the ticket had been in for about 2 weeks.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MetacortexMetacortex The Prettiest Zombie Coeur d'CoeursRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    When our airship got stuck I was able to mount jump of the ship, freefall a bit, then Levitate and land right in front of the previous teleporter. That was fun.

Metacortex on
    4FNao2T.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    captaink wrote: »
    I believe GS and Wow-heroes are not the same number, however.

GearScore is the name of an addon. This addon has a completely different and incompatible scale from Wow-Heroes - a typical 'score' may be twice as high.

However, Wow-Heroes' 'score' is (at least colloquially, and at least on my server and several others) referred to only as 'Gear Score' or 'GS.'

As I understand it, the addon only judges based on item level, while Wow-Heroes also judges based on how 'end-game' the authors think your enchants are*, what rarity your gems are**, and some other not-quite-as-stupid-as-the-addon factors, so it is by far the preferred method of rating gear.

This is sort of like saying that birdshit is the preferred type of feces for human consumption, as it doesn't smell quite so bad and there's less of it.

* Examples: +15 STR is typically regarded as slightly superior to +44 AP for Unholy death knights due to various things that scale with Strength and not raw AP. However, as the Wow-Heroes people don't have detailed knowledge of each class and spec, and just sort of guess their way along guided by the feedback of people dumb enough to use their service extensively, they penalize you for choosing the superior enchant. Also, as previously mentioned, they like the +12 damage scope better than the +15 damage scope. Just because.

**Example: My +10 AGI epic gems in my hunter's Kara belt are by far more appropriate for progression raiding than a +14 AGI perfect WotLK green gem. Obviously.

kurokaze on
    atehim.jpg
  • Options
    FloowidFloowid Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Well, we finally killed Deathwhisper after weeks of fun filled evenings hitting her enrage timer. We finally (should have been at least TRIED two weeks ago) decided to go down to 5 healers and got her second try that way.

The gunship battle is fun. I don't care that it's easy, I am glad they put something like this in there. And looking at the expense of tier items in terms of frost emblems, it seems like a good idea to hand out a couple extras to the people who get this far. I do wish it wouldn't take me out of tree form when I rocket boost. It's funny, if you are in tree form and hit the rocket boost, you can see the jetpack for just a second on your tree, and it is sideways. At least it is for me.

Saurfang tore us up pretty good, but bear in mind we are the same retarded group of people who wiped on Deathwhisper for 3 unnecessary weeks.

Floowid on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Floowid wrote: »
    Saurfang tore us up pretty good, but bear in mind we are the same retarded group of people who wiped on Deathwhisper for 3 unnecessary weeks.

I'd swear you were in my guild except that you actually got a ICC25 raid going this week and downed her.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I mentioned this a page or two ago, but blizzard has commented on the in-game earthquakes:

http://www.wow.com/2009/12/30/blizzards-comments-on-the-in-game-earthquakes/

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I love the gunship battle so hard. It's so silly and fun.

Saurfang: Get a Disc Priest, maybe 2. No really, it makes it change from an 11 in terms of difficulty down to a 3. We run dual 25 mans (half alts/half mains); one of our Priests this week was away on vacation. First run with me just bubble spamming: 2 marks at the end. Second run with no Priest: 7. It really makes *that* much of a difference. We were about 5 seconds away from wiping, me + the other Paladin were totally oom by the end.

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    I mentioned this a page or two ago, but blizzard has commented on the in-game earthquakes:

I haven't noticed any earthquakes. Where are/have they happened?

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Wowhead wrote:
    Lich King: I am the Lich King!
    Peasant Woman: Well I didn't vote for you.
    Lich King: You don't vote for kings!
    Peasant Woman: Well how'd you become king then?
    Lich King: The demon lord Kil’jaeden, wreathed in smoldering flame, encased Frostmourne and the soul of Ner'zhul in a block of ice from the depths of the Nether and cast it into Azeroth. Ner'zhul thrust out the blade whereupon I found it in Northrend, signifying that I, Arthas, was to carry Frostmourne. THAT is why I am king.
    Peasant Man: Listen, dead orcs lyin' in snow banks distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical arctic ceremony!

SabreMau on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    That's twice I've been reminded of Monty Python today. Today is a good day :^:

Bobble on
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I need to go watch Holy Grail again.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Wowhead wrote:
    Lich King: I am the Lich King!
    Peasant Woman: Well I didn't vote for you.
    Lich King: You don't vote for kings!
    Peasant Woman: Well how'd you become king then?
    Lich King: The demon lord Kil’jaeden, wreathed in smoldering flame, encased Frostmourne and the soul of Ner'zhul in a block of ice from the depths of the Nether and cast it into Azeroth. Ner'zhul thrust out the blade whereupon I found it in Northrend, signifying that I, Arthas, was to carry Frostmourne. THAT is why I am king.
    Peasant Man: Listen, dead orcs lyin' in snow banks distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical arctic ceremony!

I'm tempted to report that for awesome. :^:

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

I've only seen it happen twice. Both in wintergrasp in my case.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Zerokku wrote: »

I've only seen it happen twice. Both in wintergrasp in my case.

My Hunter has been working on the Explorer achievement, I've seen it four or five times now. It's very sparse right now, and I'd imagine that we'll be seeing them much more frequent as time passes...

... Until people bitch about their eyes hurting because the screen shakes too much, then they'll have to either remove the fun, or add a "Don't shake screen" toggle.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    FloowidFloowid Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

I have missed them too. I really like how Blizzard adds this crap before an expansion. We need some world bosses attacking major cities for no reason. That would be awesome.

Floowid on
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Floowid wrote: »

I have missed them too. I really like how Blizzard adds this crap before an expansion. We need some world bosses attacking major cities for no reason. That would be awesome.

Nothing beat the carpet of bones leading into a city when Kazzak showed up before BC.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2009
    Thinking about making a rogue alt. Is it still combat swords for leveling? Dunno what heirloom weapons to get.

Echo on
This discussion has been closed.