Options

[WoW] Fail of the Lich King: [Chat] 3.3

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    I have worst times with Oculus. People just do not want to run it, they leave the group the instant they finish zoning in. IT TAKES LIKE 12 MINUTES TO FINISH.

I agree with this one. If you know the right path, you can fly through Occulus faster than any other instance. No pun intended.
    Uh, no.

forty on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ok, AN is faster. But Oculus is still in at least the top third.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I just like getting Make it Count on accident now.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    quaigy wrote: »
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    All the RP portions of dungeons should have the option of being skipped as long as you've done it once before.

I was pretty surprised to see the option to skip all the lore in HoR a few days after it was released.
    You mean a few weeks?

forty on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Ok, AN is faster. But Oculus is still in at least the top third.
    Can you finish it from the start before the dungeon debuff has worn off?

forty on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Considering the amount of time left on the Make It Count timer by the time Eregos dies, probably. You'd have to move quickly, but it could be done.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Seg wrote: »
    I something happened to me the other night in H-ToC that has me wondering. Fighting the champion guys in the 5 man, I had targeted and started to attack the mage, but the Warrior came over and killed me in 2 or 3 hits. As far as I could tell I hadn't aggroed him at all. What has me wondering is, would a hunter/rogue have used their misdirect/tricks of the trade on another DPS just so they could beat them on the damage meters?

Did you see a big red cloud with what looks kinda like a wrench over your head?

Or a swirling crosshair/targeting reticule?

That's the old misdirect. The new one makes the crosshairs appear above the hunter's head (for some dumb reason), rather then the MD target.

Boogdud on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Dranyth wrote: »
    I'm reasonably certain Seg has been playing long enough that he knows what a Misdirect or Tricks *looks* like, it's just not something you always notice, especially if you're not expecting it.

He was just wondering if someone *would*... which of course I'd say the answer is yes, it's possible. There are plenty of dicks in the sea of WoW. Or some such.

I knew what Misdirect looks like from my time as a tank during TBC, I hadn't seen the rogue one yet though. And honestly I don't remember seeing it at all when the Warrior demolished me. So maybe the tank had no threat with the warrior when I hit one of my trinkets. Or maybe I used Blizzard and just don't recall.

It was just a strange situation and something similar happened in the first of the new instances. (I got hit with 3 or 4 shadow lances in less then a second.)

So because of that I spend a lot of time trying to figure out whether the screw up was me, someone else, or nobodies fault.

Seg on
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    End wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »
    You should read my posts in full.

I wish I knew the tank's threat before I attack.

I shouldn't be having this much trouble explaining myself.

You'll know it once you attack, which is when it becomes relevant information.

I want to know before I attack, so I know which one to attack?

Am I the only goddamn person who cares how much threat the tank has before I start attacking? :x

Attack the one the tank is attacking.

Because the tank is always attacking the same target consistently? They never switch? Right? All tanks work this way!? Right?

It's usually not a big deal, but getting the threat list early is something I'd like to have. How hard is this to understand?

haha, man

On the plus side, this forum doesn't have any jerkoff mods who ban you for no reason

On the minus side, the reading comprehension isn't always spectacular

Imagine, if you will, that you had a spell which would do over 9,000 damage to a target, and this was the spell you wanted to start combat with. You'd have no way to know which target you could throw this 9,000 damage spell on safely using only a modern day Omen threat meter, as it's very likely that the tank has sufficient threat on some mobs but not others to keep aggro off you from this spell

Wow, like total blast from the past. Nice of you to join us. Regardless, as I mentioned before, you can just throw a random nearly threatless debuff or some random buff on yourself to put yourself on the mobs' threat table so you can see threat then.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I have noticed that Pugs are still pretty hit or miss. Last Saturday I had a horrible morning, didn't finish a single heroic. First got Oculus, whole group was zoning out or gone as I zoned in. Second, got the Old Kingdom, but the tank wanted some "cheev" wherein you pull the boss back to the entrance for some reason. After discovering he was willing to let us all wipe numerous times to accomplish this, I left. Then got an Oculus again, and actually started running it. After the second boss I got DC'd, and when I logged back in I had been kicked.

He was using an old strat that doesn't work anymore. The key to the achievement is keeping the boss away from the guardians, which you used to do by dragging the boss to the entrance so they couldn't catch up with him. Blizzard changed it so that he enrages when you take him far enough away from his spawn, so now you have to have an off-tank (preferably who can heal himself) grab the guardians while everyone else kills the boss.

Smasher on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Decomposey wrote: »
    The problem with Scholo, and it's a very select problem most classes won't have an issue with, is the one room with the cultists that turn into shades. They're immune to physical damage, only magic can hurt them. Not a problem if you're most classes. But do you have any idea how long they take to die when you're a warrior, and have to depend on something like Stormchops to whittle them down?

And they can't be skipped, not if you want to fight the headmaster.

They can't? Does her entire room pull when you aggro her?

There's magic immune mobs too, although they're generally avoidable upstairs if you're careful. Downstairs you can't really avoid them, but downstairs is fortunately optional.

The problem with the physical immune mobs is that for some stupid reason you're required to kill them to get darkmaster gandling to spawn. You can kill all the other bosses, but until you kill those guys he won't show.

Fortunately you can kill them even as a warrior without doing anything too gimicky. They won't transform if you get them from (somewhere between 50 to 66% health) to 0% quickly enough, which a crit shield block + shield slam should do. Kill as many of them that way as you can, ignoring any guys that do manage to transform, then hop into the water in the room directly below. The transformed ones will evade and return upstairs, reverting to caster form as they do so. Rinse and repeat until they're all dead.

Smasher on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Nobody wrote: »
    format wrote: »
    Septus wrote: »
    Krystallus' shatter wiped 3 of my group instantly the other day. The range on it seems to have increased.

I still tanked him from 50% with no healer.

this happened to me,

they figured that it was my fault 4/5 people died on a boss.

the DK also used army of the dead on maiden, so yeah she was standing inside a void zone the entire time.

You know what's annoying? having a group with just enough DPS to kill krystallus with DoTs right after he stomps. Then you wait for 40 seconds since he can't shatter to remove the slow+stun debuff.

This happens to me more often than not. They really need to put a check in to remove the debuff if he's dead.
    A simpler fix would just be to reduce the duration of the stun debuff to five seconds. Bam, fixed with one simple data change. I rule.

forty on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Considering the amount of time left on the Make It Count timer by the time Eregos dies, probably. You'd have to move quickly, but it could be done.
    But any group moving this quickly and putting out this much DPS (there is quite a bit of mandatory trash in Oculus) could clear at least half the other heroics just as fast, or faster. Gundrak is a good example. It looks and feels long, probably in part due to having five bosses, but a good group just plows through that place like crazy. I've killed Gal'darah with the dungeon debuff still up before, and that included three or so minutes blown going out of the way to kill Eck.

And you're killing Eregos with, what, 8+ minutes left on the timer?

forty on
  • Options
    Lilac CitizenLilac Citizen Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Am I the only goddamn person who cares how much threat the tank has before I start attacking? :x

Because the tank is always attacking the same target consistently? They never switch? Right? All tanks work this way!? Right?

It's usually not a big deal, but getting the threat list early is something I'd like to have. How hard is this to understand?

haha, man

On the plus side, this forum doesn't have any jerkoff mods who ban you for no reason

Imagine, if you will, that you had a spell which would do over 9,000 damage to a target, and this was the spell you wanted to start combat with. You'd have no way to know which target you could throw this 9,000 damage spell on safely using only a modern day Omen threat meter, as it's very likely that the tank has sufficient threat on some mobs but not others to keep aggro off you from this spell

Wow, like total blast from the past. Nice of you to join us. Regardless, as I mentioned before, you can just throw a random nearly threatless debuff or some random buff on yourself to put yourself on the mobs' threat table so you can see threat then.

ah, shoot, sorry

I didn't read the forum for what I thought was a few days, and didn't notice that the post I responded to was 30 pages back

Anyway having to throw a random nearly threatless debuff is exactly what I don't want to do, and that's the thing I'm complaining about. And having to explain that repeatedly is what the I and the OP are complaining about with regard to the forum :winky:

Lilac Citizen on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

ah, shoot, sorry

I didn't read the forum for what I thought was a few days, and didn't notice that the post I responded to was 30 pages back

Anyway having to throw a random nearly threatless debuff is exactly what I don't want to do, and that's the thing I'm complaining about. And having to explain that repeatedly is what the I and the OP are complaining about with regard to the forum :winky:

Some way of knowing the tanks threat before we actually gain any threat ourselves would be kind of nice, but I am not sure something like that is doable. It is a line of thought that might be worth bringing up with the people who write the add-ons like Omen or even with whichever Blizzard staff member lead the team that put together the ingame threat meter.

Seg on
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It'll likely be written off by those types of people because it's only an issue with bad pickup group tanks and impatient DPS.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Chalk it up under "would be nice but not worth the effort since it's only an 'issue' in trivial content anyway."

forty on
  • Options
    BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Seg wrote: »
    Some way of knowing the tanks threat before we actually gain any threat ourselves would be kind of nice, but I am not sure something like that is doable.
    The WoW API won't let you get threat data on mobs you're not in combat with. In theory, if you and the tank are running the same threat meter, the add-ons should be able to communicate and give you the tank's threat...but it's probably not worth introducing communication overhead for such a marginal improvement.

Billmaan on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, I did some experimenting, and I couldn't figure out a way to start getting threat without casting on the target. Obviously the hidden addon channel bit works, but let's not go back to those days.

As much as I've whinged though, it really is just an item on my "oh, hey, that'd be nice to have" list, and nothing more.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

haha, man

ah, shoot, sorry

Well, right, but if you're wasting time being indecisive about if you should start casting your big spells or whatever anyway, what's a wasted GCD?

Dranyth on
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I say "fuck that" to the entire concept.

I will cast my 13k lava burst and you will hold aggro, scrub.

Senshi on
  • Options
    JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You would think the phrase 'deal with it, nerd' couldn't be taken as a serious insult, but when I say that in response to low dps telling me to pull faster, they always take it as such.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    forty wrote: »
    quaigy wrote: »
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    All the RP portions of dungeons should have the option of being skipped as long as you've done it once before.

I was pretty surprised to see the option to skip all the lore in HoR a few days after it was released.
    You mean a few weeks?

No, he means a few days.

The option to skip the lore in HoR was in in less than a week, IIRC.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    How could it even BE a few weeks? Didn't they release the patch like 2 weeks ago?

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The option to skip the dialog in HoR was there all along AFAIK, its only available to a character once they've completed the instance.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Naphtali wrote: »
    The option to skip the dialog in HoR was there all along AFAIK, its only available to a character once they've completed the instance.

Same with ToC, you have to listen to the ramblings on your first time through but then you can skip it.

reVerse on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    They still haven't done anything about the start of CoT Strat yet though have they?

-SPI- on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    As they explained it, it's too complex to apply a simple and quick fix to it.

reVerse on
  • Options
    BikkstahBikkstah Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Check ora2 for MA target: attack it.

Fin.

Bikkstah on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Naphtali wrote: »

Same with ToC, you have to listen to the ramblings on your first time through but then you can skip it.

You can now, but it took several weeks at least for ToC 5 to have that feature. It went in with whatever patch it was that fixed most of the bugs in the instance.

Smasher on
  • Options
    SabanSaban Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Same patch that made it so the champions disappear after jousting so you can fight them on your terms. Basically just made it so not everyone ran out anymore.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Saban wrote: »
    Same patch that made it so the champions disappear after jousting so you can fight them on your terms. Basically just made it so not everyone ran out anymore.

Yeah, that one.

Smasher on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, I did some experimenting, and I couldn't figure out a way to start getting threat without casting on the target. Obviously the hidden addon channel bit works, but let's not go back to those days.

Not needed. There's an addon channel for the party, raid and guild in the API.

Echo on
  • Options
    kurokazekurokaze Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So my small guild went to ICC10 last night and we had 9 people, so we pugged a healer. As happens so often, since our GM/raid leader is vehemently against 'gear score' (and rightfully so), she avoids performing any sort of vetting on his gear and it naturally ended up being pretty awful - but at least his moonfire can crit from some moonkin set bonus he was rocking. (Note that WowHeroes/GearScore would not have found that an issue anyway.) But we manage to keep going, rather sloppily, as the instance is not really that difficult.

On gunship, he asks not to be the healer on the 'away team' because, apparently, he has never done it and new things scare and confuse him. He is told that that's not an option because our other healer is the master looter and the loot chest can bug out and be unlootable if the master looter is on the away team.

Desperate to avoid the horrible trauma of being a tree with a rocket jetpack, he quickly searches for an alternative solution.

"So why don't you make me master looter for this fight?," asks the one person in the raid not in our guild, who none of us had ever seen before that very night.

/facepalm

---

My 80 hunter is still wearing a leather belt from Kara Chess. Her gearscore on WowHeroes is less than half of my main's and allegedly not high enough to set foot in Naxx10. (Side note: I put a +15 damage scope on my gun because it was lying around after leveling engineering on my main. WowHeroes is not happy with this subpar enchant, and suggests several upgrades. One such suggestion is a +12 damage scope.)

Despite this, I still find myself most often being #2 damage done in my daily heroic, with #1 being the tank (with their huge damage done bonus due to 100% combat time). DPS numbers are around 2200-2500.

The confusing thing is that when I do my daily on my main - usually as a tank - I invariably get paired with at least one, sometimes two, unbelievably geared and passably skilled DPS (3500-4000) who still somehow manage to have under 18k hp in cloth and think that it is their right, nay, their duty to pull the next pack before I do (which means before Death and Decay has refreshed, which means, since I am currently in a Blood raid tank spec, I often simply cannot get adequate threat all of the additional pull before it beats the hell out of the horrible mag- oh, he ice blocked, they just killed my healer instead.)

kurokaze on
    atehim.jpg
  • Options
    frylockedfrylocked Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You dont need a healer to rocket over to the other side. Just have the tank stand real close to your home ship and have the healer stand near the canons. They are 100% in range.

frylocked on
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Grabbed the "TinyTip Wealth" addon last night... let's you see the most gold a character has held before. Saw a few people in the 40k range walking around... and I thought I had a lot of gold..

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm pondering whether I want to dual-spec my paladin so I can tank as well. Right now I'm ret and working on leveling to 80 as I'm only 71 but I'm curious as to whether going dual spec is worth it so I can do a bit of both in dungeons. What's folks thoughts on this?

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    frylockedfrylocked Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Gonmun wrote: »
    I'm pondering whether I want to dual-spec my paladin so I can tank as well. Right now I'm ret and working on leveling to 80 as I'm only 71 but I'm curious as to whether going dual spec is worth it so I can do a bit of both in dungeons. What's folks thoughts on this?

You know, with the instant queues for tanks even at the lower levels, I bet you could level pretty fast just by doing randoms and tanking.

frylocked on
  • Options
    kurokazekurokaze Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    frylocked wrote: »
    You dont need a healer to rocket over to the other side. Just have the tank stand real close to your home ship and have the healer stand near the canons. They are 100% in range.

The DPS on the other ship is not in range, though, and they take nontrivial damage on occasion from the huge random DoT the enemy commander throws out, and I think a few other things. We did single heal the entire fight one week because the away team healer missed his first jump or jumped before the tank or some other dumbness but it's more stressful.

And why wouldn't you want to be a tree with a jetpack?

kurokaze on
    atehim.jpg
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    frylocked wrote: »
    Gonmun wrote: »

You know, with the instant queues for tanks even at the lower levels, I bet you could level pretty fast just by doing randoms and tanking.

That thought had crossed my mind as well.

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
This discussion has been closed.