Options

The Elements of [chat]

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Podly wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    Tarintino gets shit because he's basically girl talk who acts as if he were beethoven.

podly you don't really think that do you?

I think he's a self-aggrandizing, pompous prick who gets most of his inspiration directly from your standard postmodern blend of auter-homage and low-culture kitschery. Don't get me wrong, I greatly enjoy Tarintino flicks. But I personally can't stand the man, and I get annoyed by the praise that he gets for blatantly using shots and devices of other directors.

Yes I also hate him for making movies that I greatly enjoy.

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Tarintino gets shit because he's basically girl talk who acts as if he were beethoven.

I think he's a self-aggrandizing, pompous prick who gets most of his inspiration directly from your standard postmodern blend of auter-homage and low-culture kitschery. Don't get me wrong, I greatly enjoy Tarintino flicks. But I personally can't stand the man, and I get annoyed by the praise that he gets for blatantly using shots and devices of other directors.

Tarantino's only great movie is Four Rooms

tapeslinger on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2009
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Also, while Brad Pitt pretty much played a cartoon in that movie, he is always fun to watch in a role. Who would have thought that he would have been the actor from that period of actors who really had staying power and acting ability beside just being a dreamboat?

Well, him and Johnny Depp I guess.

I just saw Burn After Reading the other day.

That movie had a great cast, but I think I loved Pitt the most.

You know, for as good as the cast and directors of that movie were, it really just left me cold. I didn't find it charming at all.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ahhh yes, I forgot that we humans are incapable of complex feelings and must either love something blindly or hate it. I always forget that part.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

okay so you don't really think that.

I don't feel the same as you but I have no issue with that outlook. calling him girl talk, maybe I misunderstood, but seemed like less than what I actually expected you to think of him.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Also, while Brad Pitt pretty much played a cartoon in that movie, he is always fun to watch in a role. Who would have thought that he would have been the actor from that period of actors who really had staying power and acting ability beside just being a dreamboat?

You know, for as good as the cast and directors of that movie were, it really just left me cold. I didn't find it charming at all.

I have to watch that one again. I have a feeling that it's one of those "grows on you" movies, like The Big Lebowski.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This for 169.99

This for 599.99.

<3 Costco so much.

Quid on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Huh, diff'rent strokes and all I guess. I mean I wouldn't say it should win any awards, but I thought it was just really fun.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Brad Pitts reminds me of George Clooney which reminds me to tell every to watch Fantastic Mr. Fox.

The Fantastic Mr. Fox was, in a way, fucking fantastic.

Havelock on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2009

That is crazy talk.

You might as well choose, like, Killing Zoe or something if you want to come up with something nonsensical and pithy like that.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Havelock wrote: »

Brad Pitts reminds me of George Clooney which reminds me to tell every to watch Fantastic Mr. Fox.

The Fantastic Mr. Fox was, in a way, fucking fantastic.
    That's bad song writing!

You wrote a bad song, Petey!

*flicks cigarette*

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Anyone who saw 12 Monkeys caught on pretty fast.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It's just that, yes he has a certain style of film making, and yes he does get that style from SOMEWHERE. But why hate him for it? He obviously enjoys it and from what I can tell of him, he seems very sincere in his love of film and creating stories.

It's not like he is Michael Bay and makes horrible things.

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    @ AG

:^:

Havelock on
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

I don't feel the same as you but I have no issue with that outlook. calling him girl talk, maybe I misunderstood, but seemed like less than what I actually expected you to think of him.

girl talk is a pretty big insult
    really he isn't meriting of that kind of insult.... but he is a pretty self aggrandizing douchebag. cameo in every movie? come on....

tapeslinger on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'm often surprised how people describe tarantino, though, because I have purposely listened to him in interviews and commentaries and shit and never once felt like he wasn't a blatant homage machine. never saw pompousness once. never saw him act like everything he did was pure, fresh, and original. ever.

so I don't understand where that comes from. but I certainly understand how if that's your take on the guy you wouldn't like him.

Variable on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Sometimes it’s nice not knowing anything, because neither side of an argument makes much sense.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm often surprised how people describe tarantino, though, because I have purposely listened to him in interviews and commentaries and shit and never once felt like he wasn't a blatant homage machine. never saw pompousness once. never saw him act like everything he did was pure, fresh, and original. ever.

so I don't understand where that comes from. but I certainly understand how if that's your take on the guy you wouldn't like him.

I think he absolutely loves film, like he's a total fanatic about it, and to some that comes off as being elitist or egotistical.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

He's honest about his 'theft' - shit, he calls himself a thief - and he's received a lot of criticism for it. The guy makes the kind of movies he likes and he's really happy about it. His few audio-commentaries are some of the most enjoyable I've ever listened to because, at the end of the day, the guy knows his shit. Tarantino is the ultimate movie fan, and like a kid with the keys to the candy store, dude's been hyped up on an 18-year long sugar high.

Really, disliking him because you think he's arrogant. He makes mainstream exploitation films and labels them as such. If anything's earned him the right to his ego, it's the fact that no one does it better than him right now.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The Big Lebowski is not a "grows on you" movie

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    So It Goes wrote: »

that movie is awesome.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Maybe it's just me, but I don't think there's anything pompous about putting yourself in your own movies as long as it fits. And I've never seen him in one of his movies in a way that doesn't fit.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

I do not see the problem with aping techniques and risks of older master film directors that never "took" into mainstream direction/ cinematography but still have power or are worth exploring.

I mean Tarantino himself seems like kind of an annoying personality, but then again I don't really watch Quenton Tarantino. I watch his movies.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Elendil wrote: »

no, it's perfect the first time you watch it.

in a sense it has grown on me, but not in the sense that you mean... my appreciation grows everytime I rewatch and not one single joke falls flat or feels predictable.

Variable on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    What the hecks wrong with having a cameo in every movie as a director? Hell most of the time these days Tarantino is just a corpse, that's just good fun.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

That is crazy talk.

You might as well choose, like, Killing Zoe or something if you want to come up with something nonsensical and pithy like that.

ok, "only great" is excessively rude.

but Antonio Banderas delivers one of my favorite among his performances, and Tarantino's cameo is not as grating as usual... to me that's pretty much his best showing.

tapeslinger on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

really he isn't meriting of that kind of insult.... but he is a pretty self aggrandizing douchebag. cameo in every movie? come on....

Hitchcock would never do something like that.

Armored Gorilla on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    So It Goes wrote: »

God I loved that one. Best Gilliam flick IMO. And yeah Brat Pitt was fantastic in that movie and it came as a complete surprise to me.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hitch was kind of a dick though wasn't he

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Elendil wrote: »

I'll rephrase. I liked it when I first saw it, but it gets funnier every time. I think Burn After Reading may be the same, just starting on the lower end of the scale where it starts at "Huh."

Armored Gorilla on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

I do not see the problem with aping techniques and risks of older master film directors that never "took" into mainstream direction/ cinematography but still have power or are worth exploring.

I mean Tarantino himself seems like kind of an annoying personality, but then again I don't really watch Quenton Tarantino. I watch his movies.

I don't either, at all. especially when you also name the chapter after the movie you're homaging. not pretending to be inventing anything he isn't, just referencing classic scenes and using similar shots to similar effect.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Same here. It was over an hour of build-up to one big laugh at the end, with nothing but the closet scene to keep me going.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Kurosawa was known to be a super demanding perfectionist prick but who gives a fuck. That is what takes to make great movies.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I don't really care if people are dicks in real life unless their flaws somehow illuminate a flaw in their work.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm listening to Northside ska.

This is better then I'd thought it'd be.

Tav on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

he's not in inglorious basterds

and I don't know that just doesn't bother me I guess.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Same here. It was over an hour of build-up to one big laugh at the end, with nothing but the closet scene to keep me going.

I didn't see it that way at all. I thought it was very entertaining throughout.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Hitchcock would never do something like that.

tarantino:hitchcock::heineken:something better

someone bought me reservoir dogs for christmas at my office this year... seriously. mistakenly believing that I am a big tarantino fan or something....

tapeslinger on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    He's not even in there as a corpse like Kill Bill? That surprises me.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

he's not in inglorious basterds

and I don't know that just doesn't bother me I guess.

he's a corpse in one scene actually

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
This discussion has been closed.