Options

It is a good life we lead, brother. May it never change. (AC2 THREAD)

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2010
    I only used the pistol when it said use the pistol

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've never really been all that big on New Game +. I personally don't have fun playing through old areas with weapons that are overpowered for the area.

It's not like the game is ever remotely hard.

And yeah the pistol is pretty useless. It's kinda fun though, if only because it makes a loud noise.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Same as Keith, and even then I didn't want to use it.

What the hell kind of game makes a pistol that you can't aim with?

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    also sometimes throwing knifes are stupid to aim so the pistol is useful there

Nuzak on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Alright so I just did one of the silly minigames where you have to figure out how someone from history is actually part of the plot from AC. It gave me a picture of Houdini and I was supposed to find where a Piece of Eden was in the picture. While I was looking though, I found a bit of Morse code that you can't see in the original picture. Anyone know what it was? I didn't really care enough to write it down and decode it because I'm sure someone out there on the internet has done it by now.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    google it

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah but

that takes an almost measurable amount of effort!

Fiiiiiiiiine

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Gamespot says the morse translates to "They hit him in the stomach." I guess in Crazy AC world where everyone is part of a conspiracy, templars arranged for Houdini to get appendicitis so they could steal his Piece of Eden.

The implication that Houdini was somehow linked to the Assassins means that I had better damn well learn some escape artistry later in this game.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I got a piece of Eden right heah for ya

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You know a really large part of my interest in the first AC's story faded away when they revealed that Abstergo was a front for the modern Knights Templar. Now AC2 is revealing that everybody who has ever lived has been either a Templar or an Assassin.

Chrome says that Templar isn't a real word because Google is a Templar organization that wants to throw me off the scent.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's less implying that everyone was a Templar or Assassin, and more every human who ever did something significant for the world needed a Piece of Eden to do it. Then the Templars and Assassins intervene to take it away from them.

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I pretty much love the plot
    it's most every bit of conspiracy theory bullshit I've ever heard tied into one package. it's glorious.

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Mr. G wrote: »
    It's less implying that everyone was a Templar or Assassin, and more every human who ever did something significant for the world needed a Piece of Eden to do it. Then the Templars and Assassins intervene to take it away from them.

Yeah but Altair gets shown the location of all of the Pieces of Eden at the end of AC1.

Presumably the Assassins used that information to gain control of at least a few of them.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I can actually recognise a few words in morse code now, thanks to AC2. The binary ones didn't stick in my head though, thankfully.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited January 2010
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Yeah but Altair gets shown the location of all of the Pieces of Eden at the end of AC1.

Presumably the Assassins used that information to gain control of at least a few of them.

Well yeah, I never said they didn't use them for themselves

I'd imagine that's how a goddamn wristgun got invented

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Incidentally, I'm kind of surprised that Ubisoft's marketing department didn't leverage the conspiracy theory bullshit to create some kind of ridiculous viral marketing campaign. It coulda been kinda neat.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I have one major problem with this game in that Desmond, Ezio, and Altair have the same scar on their faces

Genetics do not work that way, Ubisoft

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

Well yeah, I never said they didn't use them for themselves

I'd imagine that's how a goddamn wristgun got invented

They couldn't have gotten many, it's not like travel was easy in the 12th century. They hadn't even invented swimming.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I have one major problem with this game in that Desmond, Ezio, and Altair have the same scar on their faces

Genetics do not work that way, Ubisoft

but you see Ezio get those scars at the beginning of the game

it's just a design decision presented as a coincidence meant to tie the characters together

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Is there an easy way to locate landmarks? There were a few that had glyphs on them that I didn't find the first time around and now I'll be damned if I'm gonna be able to find them again without meticulously combing through the whole city. The ones I'm looking for aren't really that distinct either, just tan buildings with the same roofs that every building has.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Is there an easy way to locate landmarks? There were a few that had glyphs on them that I didn't find the first time around and now I'll be damned if I'm gonna be able to find them again without meticulously combing through the whole city. The ones I'm looking for aren't really that distinct either, just tan buildings with the same roofs that every building has.

on your map, buildings with a database entry are dark grey
    in the database, buildings with assassin's tombs or glyphs are identified

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Alright so I just did one of the silly minigames where you have to figure out how someone from history is actually part of the plot from AC. It gave me a picture of Houdini and I was supposed to find where a Piece of Eden was in the picture. While I was looking though, I found a bit of Morse code that you can't see in the original picture. Anyone know what it was? I didn't really care enough to write it down and decode it because I'm sure someone out there on the internet has done it by now.

HUGE FUCK OFF SPOILER WARNING

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox360/file/956858/58383

HUGE FUCK OFF SPOILER WARNING

The FAQ has all the morse code and hidden message type stuff translated and basic speculation based off history/other known conspiracy theories/etc.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2010
    The Da Vinci Code shit was my favorite part of the game. The first time I found the morse code (on the second glyph, I think?) I was like "hey is that morse code" and used my computer to translate it so then I just kept looking for that stuff in every picture

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I found another one in a WWII picture that was a grid of numbers and letters but I don't know what code that is.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    is this game really worth getting? like, really really REALLY?

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    If you thought the first one was absolutely abhorrent, then maybe but probably not. If you thought that it was okay but needed a lot of work, then yes.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

I thought the first one was incredibly disappointing and not a game I would have played to completion had somebody handed me a copy for free and had lots of free time.

I did play it for a little bit but it looked like it was all the same thing, unfinished basically.

This one is definitely what the first one should have been.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I do have to give them credit, they put a pretty good amount of thought into their conspiracy bullshit. If I stayed up until 5 AM playing this thing and getting glyphs, I would probably start believing their alternate history until I went to bed and woke up the next morning.

I just did the Cain and Abel puzzle and I can already feel it starting to creep me out in the back of my head.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Artreus wrote: »

I thought the first one was incredibly disappointing and not a game I would have played to completion had somebody handed me a copy for free and had lots of free time.

I did play it for a little bit but it looked like it was all the same thing, unfinished basically.

This one is definitely what the first one should have been.

Which is unfortunate, because I can definitely see places where it could be improved, and it would've been nice if the second AC could've been spent on the little tweaks that would make a good game great, instead of making a shitty game good.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Has Defender voiced off on Assassin's Creed 2 at all yet?

I kind of want to know what he thinks about it.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Artreus wrote: »
    Has Defender voiced off on Assassin's Creed 2 at all yet?

I kind of want to know what he thinks about it.

He has.

If I remember right he said it was better but still bad.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Fair enough. It is good enough for me at any rate.

Artreus on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Same here. I didn't 100% loathe the first game either. I mean it was repetitive and the combat sucked and effective stealth was basically impossible and it was really repetitive, but dicking around the cities was fun and the story was interesting enough to get me to plow through it, especially since it was so short.

I have no interest in going back and playing again though, or even going back to get the achievements I missed.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I saw Sherlock Holmes on Sunday, and the thing going through my head the whole time was 'holy shit this would be an amazing setting for an AC game'.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Industrial Revolution-era London

I'm telling you, it'd be the greatest

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    Industrial Revolution-era London

I'm telling you, it'd be the greatest

Seriously, it would be a setting that games don't typically visit, which fulfills one of their criteria

And it would be a lot of fun to run around in.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I could definitely do industrial London.

All starting off as a little kid who loses his ring finger working in a factory.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    That really would be pretty fun. Especially the way you move around the city in Assassin's Creed games.

Unfortunately all the smog would knock you out if you tried climbing anything too high.

Artreus on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Maybe I just suck but so far I'm having a much harder time following the plot of AC2 than I did AC1.

AC1 was really straightforward. These guys are evil, oh but wait they all seem to think they're actually good, oh okay turns out that they're all nuts that want to take over the world but with good intentions, oh hey and my boss is secretly one of them, that's cool.

This one it's like, there's all these noble families in a mish-mash of conflict, and as far as I can tell the only reason I'm rooting for the Audiotores or the Mediccis or whoever is just because they're linked to the Assassins and the Pazzis are Templars.

Also every time I hear the name Pazzi I think of

Potsie.jpg

which just confuses things further.

Speed Racer on