As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It is a good life we lead, brother. May it never change. (AC2 THREAD)

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    give the descendant an assassin-crafted gasmask with some awesome filters and scopes and such built into the eyepieces
    get some wacky gadgets

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    give the descendant an assassin-crafted gasmask with some awesome filters and scopes and such built into the eyepieces
    get some wacky gadgets

Then at the end he takes off the goggles because now he has Eagle Vision.

And then he shoots the exhaust pipe and blows up London.

Wait shit.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Maybe I just suck but so far I'm having a much harder time following the plot of AC2 than I did AC1.

AC1 was really straightforward. These guys are evil, oh but wait they all seem to think they're actually good, oh okay turns out that they're all nuts that want to take over the world but with good intentions, oh hey and my boss is secretly one of them, that's cool.

This one it's like, there's all these noble families in a mish-mash of conflict, and as far as I can tell the only reason I'm rooting for the Audiotores or the Mediccis or whoever is just because they're linked to the Assassins and the Pazzis are Templars.

Also every time I hear the name Pazzi I think of

a guy

which just confuses things further.

Well Italy was pretty crazy back then anyway. So you are kind of learning something even though it is all covered in a very lick layer on bullshit. I am still at the beginning and so far it is easy to think of it just in terms of "These particular guys did something bad to me and my family, I am going to murder them all"

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Artreus wrote: »
    Maybe I just suck but so far I'm having a much harder time following the plot of AC2 than I did AC1.

AC1 was really straightforward. These guys are evil, oh but wait they all seem to think they're actually good, oh okay turns out that they're all nuts that want to take over the world but with good intentions, oh hey and my boss is secretly one of them, that's cool.

This one it's like, there's all these noble families in a mish-mash of conflict, and as far as I can tell the only reason I'm rooting for the Audiotores or the Mediccis or whoever is just because they're linked to the Assassins and the Pazzis are Templars.

a guy

Well Italy was pretty crazy back then anyway. So you are kind of learning something even though it is all covered in a very lick layer on bullshit. I am still at the beginning and so far it is easy to think of it just in terms of "These particular guys did something bad to me and my family, I am going to murder them all"
    Yeah, I guess my problem is that so far that's still Ezio's only motivation. I mean it's fine for a personal motivation for him, but I would've thought that the other Assassin's wouldn't train him unless he was willing to become a "peace in all things," only performing strategic kills to reduce conflict Assassin like the ones in AC1 were.

Also, it seems weird to me that they haven't once mentioned the, you know, Assassin's Creed. Maybe they will later though, I'm only like three or four assassinations into it.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

a guy

Yeah, I guess my problem is that so far that's still Ezio's only motivation. I mean it's fine for a personal motivation for him, but I would've thought that the other Assassin's wouldn't train him unless he was willing to become a "peace in all things," only performing strategic kills to reduce conflict Assassin like the ones in AC1 were.

Also, it seems weird to me that they haven't once mentioned the, you know, Assassin's Creed. Maybe they will later though, I'm only like three or four assassinations into it.

I was going to tell you but you're only a little ways in. Keep playing.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    captaink wrote: »

a guy

I was going to tell you but you're only a little ways in. Keep playing.
    Okay, will do.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This game is amazing.

I've barely scratched the storyline, but lemme tell you what. Those guards that guard the double treasure box rooms? There is no game that compares to the sense of awesome I got when I dropped an archers body on them and as they shouted in alarm, dropped on them and did a quick three person assassination.

Holy fucking shitballs.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I dunno

Did the assassinations feel

I dunno

Easy
    to anyone else?

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    yeah

a lot of them felt like the stealthy way was way too awkward and in some cases, outright impossible

welp, time to run at the guy with the hidden blade out

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Every time I'm escaping from guards this scene is playing in my head:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPMHbUTcUXE

The feeling's not as strong as it was in AC1 for obvious reasons, but it's still there.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    'hes got a sword'
    'you idiots, we've all got swords'

Best scene

101 on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Nuzak wrote: »
    yeah

a lot of them felt like the stealthy way was way too awkward and in some cases, outright impossible

welp, time to run at the guy with the hidden blade out

And there's almost no reason to not do that in most of them

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Am I remember it wrong, or did nothing happen in Forli?

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    not much happened there, but one of the DLC takes place there

also wasn't that where you followed some templars to a meeting with borgia in that amphitheater?

satansfingers on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    not much happened there, but one of the DLC takes place there

also wasn't that where you followed some templars to a meeting with borgia in that amphitheater?

No, that was the other small town. Literally nothing happens storywise in Forli.

captaink on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You know, so far, I'm not as attached to this as I was AC1.

Clarification: I'm only about an hour or so in, and haven't even got into the meat of this game yet.

But, I don't know, I loved AC1 - it was pretty much everything I wanted in a game, even though I could recognise it's flaws, they didn't bother me. I think I preferred Altair to Ezio, or at least early Ezio, although he does have a certain roguish charm...

I think I'll get into it more when the story opens up a bit and the cities become more free roaming, with armour shops and home base and full abilities and that sort of thing. As it stands I'm still doing tutorial missions, but so far it's just sort of 'meh'.

I guess my point is I found the start of this one less enthralling than the predecessor; it has failed to pull me in and feel as exciting from the beginning than the first.

That said, having spent a couple weeks in Florence back in 2001, I loved wandering around Firenze from Ponte Vecchio to Santa Maria del Fiore, navigating the streets and locations past places I've actually been, looking for places like the market or this neat gelataria just off the Alba...

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    i love ezio, and i think the game did a good job of introducing him and then introducing conflict

i think you are maybe being overly critical of the game despite not being very far in for no clear reason other than defensiveness over so many people saying it's better

satansfingers on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    also altair had barely any character at all whereas ezio has something that might charitably be called a personality

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    When should I be critical of the games inability to draw me in at the start if not the beginning?

And basically I'm saying wandering around Florence being a foppish playboy while running errands for my father isn't as interesting as breaking into a tomb, confronting some armed crusaders and then repelling an assault on a mountain fortress.

I'm not sure that's much of a statement to argue.

Fishman on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    i dunno, it's just so short that i don't even see the beginning as worth discussing

except to talk about the QTE where you bang some broad

satansfingers on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It just happens to be where I'm up to is all. Given how positive people are in general about how this game is better in every way, I just thought I'd share my experience and opinion so far, mostly because I was surprised to find myself disliking my experience to date, a contrary experience of what I had been led to expect.

I accept that this is (likely) to change as I progress, hence the explainatory comments following my initial statement.

Fishman on
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Fishman wrote: »
    It just happens to be where I'm up to is all. Given how positive people are in general about how this game is better in every way, I just thought I'd share my experience and opinion so far, mostly because I was surprised to find myself disliking my experience to date, a contrary experience of what I had been led to expect.

I accept that this is (likely) to change as I progress, hence the explainatory comments following my initial statement.

You're not allowed to have contrary opinions, jerk.

Hey everyone, this guy doesn't think like we do! GET HIM!

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    DEFEND THE COLONY
    ALL GLORY TO THE HIVE MIND

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The beginning of AC2 was boring in comparison

But necessary to the story's twist and progression

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So was I supposed to be surprised at all those people being Assassins

I just kinda assumed that when I met them

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, I don't think it's a highly objectionable opinion. It wasn't as interesting as it maybe could've been, but the payoff was tremendous later on.

Spoiler that shit, Mr. G!

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Altair was such a boring character. He was just an emotionless prick.

Also I thought it was sort of dumb how he had to spend the whole game relearning the Assassin's Creed and why it's the single most important thing ever, and he does, but then he manages to win because he says "fuck the Creed let's go beat up our boss." It just seemed kind of confused.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Also fuck losing all your shit in AC1

At least in AC2 you start out with nothing not "hahahah fuck you now you gotta re-earn all this shit neener neener"

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    vsove wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't think it's a highly objectionable opinion. It wasn't as interesting as it maybe could've been, but the payoff was tremendous later on.

Spoiler that shit, Mr. G!

I didn't name names, I don't think it's much of a spoiler to say there are Assassins in this game

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Also I thought it was sort of dumb how he had to spend the whole game relearning the Assassin's Creed and why it's the single most important thing ever, and he does, but then he manages to win because he says "fuck the Creed let's go beat up our boss." It just seemed kind of confused.

That's the problem with stupid forced twist endings. The plot of AC1 was utter bum gravy until the very end when stuff started happening to Desmond.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ashcroft wrote: »

That's the problem with stupid forced twist endings. The plot of AC1 was utter bum gravy until the very end when stuff started happening to Desmond.

Yeah for me the point where the plot went to Stupidtown was where I realized that Abstergo was a modern front for the Templars.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited January 2010
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    ascotascot Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Okay I am just at the place after sequence 6 or 7
    What in the fuck is with this pole in Desmond's dream? I can't get on it!

Oh shit! hahah, when you go back as Altair, chasing the girl up to the top of the tower? I couldn't either!
    Just climb on the railing, hold the trigger and 'jump' he just sort of clings on to it. It took fucking FOREVER for me to work that out.

ascot on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited January 2010
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I played a bunch of this yesterday and the game didn't give me any achievements

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I just played ye olde Renaissance Dick for a while. It was fun to go around punching bards and taking out pickpockets. Also guards. Double stabbing a group of four guards is bad ass. Jump off the roof for the first two and then get the other two in the face.

Also once I accidentally had my hammer out when I punched a bard. So instead of punching him I accidentally crushed his skull.

The hammer is awesomely brutal.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    By the end of the game I wanted to murder every goddamn Bard. I'd be trying to chase after someone and they'd be blocking my way and singing their stupid song.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It's funny when they spawn more Bards and box guys when you're tailing someone. You round a corner, and a team of 3 Bards fucking pounce on you in a narrow alley.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    It's funny when they spawn more Bards and box guys when you're tailing someone. You round a corner, and a team of 3 Bards fucking pounce on you in a narrow alley.

Yes, also, fuck those box guys.

I swear to god they angled towards me. OH NO YOU DROPPED YOUR BOX. WANT TO JOIN IT IN THE AFTERLIFE?

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

But don't you see!

Nothing is true! Everything is permitted!

Inquisitor on