Options

Sam and Max Hit The Road: Can I Keep His Head For A Souvenir?

• Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Um yes

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Vegan wrote: »
    Um yes

Some of us had 8 discs and we liked it!

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Um yes

Some of us had 8 discs and we liked it!

Actually, I had 8 disks.
    I don't know what the hell sort of crazy future-discs you had.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    Bad AspBad Asp Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The last version of Hit the Road that was released in the United States was the one where some STUPID GLITCH MESSES UP THE AUDIO and you can't hear the voices.

There's a current version that corrects this, but it's not currently being legally sold in this country. It is sold in other countries, but not here.

Maybe Lucasarts will realize this and actually release it here?

Bad Asp on
  • Options
    Rum RogersRum Rogers Registered User new member
    edited December 2009
    It's funny how you make go crazy at least one guy each time you post about S&M! Go for it, Bad Asp!

Rum Rogers on
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Rum Rogers wrote: »
    It's funny how you make go crazy at least one guy each time you post about S&M! Go for it, Bad Asp!

Out of context, this sentence rules.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    PatboyX wrote: »
    Rum Rogers wrote: »

Out of context, this sentence rules.

That's I put up with all the time on forums I went to, PatboyX.

There were a lot of people who discouraged me over there, telling me that LucasArts uncancelling Freelance Police was "not going to happen".

But since LucasArts is interested in reviving the graphic adventure genre, who knows? That game might finally get a second chance!

Let's make it happen, people! (I hope to God it does happen, so I can finally put those smug, condescending, arrogant naysayers in their place...)

Bad Asp on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Well, technically, it is uncancelled. Telltale Games are making a third season of their games. I think I mentioned earlier that I actually vastly prefer them to the original (which is saying something; I grew up with adventure games and nostalgia goes a long way).

LucasArts is much more likely to revive something that hasn't been revived yet, like MM/DotT or Full Throttle... etc. Personally, I am holding out hope that they'll bring Brian Moriarty back to do the other two Loom games that were promised.
    Loom was conceived as the first game of a fantasy trilogy. The second game, Forge, would follow the adventures of Rusty Nailbender as he tried to regain control of the Forge, which was hijacked by Chaos in the first game. Bobbin was going to appear every now and then (as a swan) to offer help and advice, kind of like Obi-Wan Kenobi in Empire [The Empire Strikes Back] and Jedi [Return of the Jedi]. At the end of Forge, Rusty drives Chaos out of the Forge, but not before the gentle land of the Shepherds is conquered and nearly destroyed in a terrible battle. (The floating Forge ends up falling directly onto the Shepherds' pastures.)

The third game, The Fold, followed the adventures of Fleece Firmflanks, who teams up with Rusty to resist the evil forces that are camping in the Shepherds' territory. Bobbin again offers occasional help and advice. At the climax of the game, Bobbin, Bobbin's mother and Hetchel return to Earth along with the entire Guild of Weavers, and all of the other Guilds join for a final challenge to Chaos. Working together for the first time, their combined magic banishes Chaos back into the Void, and the healing of the world can begin. Rusty and Fleece get married, and Bobbin becomes the head of the Guild of Weavers.

Contrary to popular belief, the Loom sequels were not abandoned because Loom didn't sell well. Loom has sold more than half a million copies in various formats since it was published in 1990. The reason the sequels weren't made is because I decided I wanted to work on other things, and nobody else wanted to do them, either.

EDIT: And I would buy any game where you play a woman named Fleece Firmflanks on day fucking one.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Bad Asp wrote: »
    There's a lot of reasons why that'll never happen. Primarily because Adult Swim will never do anything that makes sense.

And what are the others, if you say there's a lot of reasons? Hmm? I'd like to see you name them!

I thought this was just a friendly joke. I can't believe you're serious.

It's always pretty ridiculous when someone pushes someone else for their reasoning, knowing full well that they just plan on "shootin' em down" once reasons are given. It's why most people don't legitimize it with a response - that person isn't interested in honest, logical discourse, they've just got something they'll push no matter what.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Sam and Max cartoon but it's extremely unlikely, and I definitely hope you're not the catalyst for it. I don't think I have much to worry about though.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Really the only thing the Telltale series is missing at this point is the original theme music.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    Really the only thing the Telltale series is missing at this point is the original theme music.

And the original voices. And the ability to use Max as an inventory item. And the ability to combine items. And a screensaver. And a Carbomb minigame. And Conroy Bumpus. And Trixie and Bruno. And a Snuckey's.

I could go on and on...

Bad Asp on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    It's always pretty ridiculous when someone pushes someone else for their reasoning, knowing full well that they just plan on "shootin' em down" once reasons are given.

Oh, believe me, that's happened to me LOTS of times.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Sam and Max cartoon but it's extremely unlikely, and I definitely hope you're not the catalyst for it.

Yeah, I hope I'm not the calayst for it, either. Though it might end up being so...

Bad Asp on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

And the original voices. And the ability to use Max as an inventory item. And the ability to combine items. And a screensaver. And a Carbomb minigame. And Conroy Bumpus. And Trixie and Bruno. And a Snuckey's.

I could go on and on...

...and Gator Golf.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

I could go on and on...

Okay, so the only thing missing from the Telltale games is the entire original game.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So favorite part of telltale's Sam and max both seasons?

too easy

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

I could go on and on...

Okay, so the only thing missing from the Telltale games is the entire original game.

They should have it like Maniac Mansion in DOTT. Except that they would never do that, since I'm sure they would rather sell Hit the Road on Steam.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009

They should have it like Maniac Mansion in DOTT. Except that they would never do that, since I'm sure they would rather sell Hit the Road on Steam.

Assuming they want to sell Hit the Road at all.

But since it doesn't meet the "criteria" that someone apparently wants Sam and Max to have, I assume Lucasarts will probably keep it in the vault along with Freelance Police.

I hope to one day change all that. The lineup of Sam and Max games shouldn't be confined to just the episodic series!

Am I right, people?

Bad Asp on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Assuming they want to sell Hit the Road at all.

But since it doesn't meet the "criteria" that someone apparently wants Sam and Max to have, I assume Lucasarts will probably keep it in the vault along with Freelance Police.

I hope to one day change all that. The lineup of Sam and Max games shouldn't be confined to just the episodic series!

Am I right, people?

You're not wrong but you are lost in an idealised fantasy world where business and licencing issues have no effect on game publishing decisions.

I don't even know what you're arguing for any more.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I would eat worlds for a DoTT revival. And I like Loom perfectly fine as a single game, but man two more games would have been sweet.

edit: also, whole lotta crazy in this thread.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Visti wrote: »
    I would eat worlds for a DoTT revival. And I like Loom perfectly fine as a single game, but man two more games would have been sweet.

edit: also, whole lotta crazy in this thread.

I believe that's the first time I've ever seen anyone post "I would eat worlds". You know what, that's almost how much I want Hit the Road to be revived!

Bad Asp on
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Unicron loves Sam and Max.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Okay, apparently Telltale is making a new Sam and Max series in 2010.

http://www.telltalegames.com/samandmax2010

The original voices better be in there.

Speaking of which, I hope Telltale releases updated versions of both Season 1 and Season 2 with the original voices, like they're releasing an updated version of Tales of Monkey Island where Earl Boen now voices LeChuck in episode 1.

I would "eat worlds" for that to happen!

Bad Asp on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Pfft, new Sam and Max will use the keyboard to make them walk. Apparently it's the new style of all Telltale games. I just predict a lot of unwieldiness like I remember Grim Fandango being.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Pfft, new Sam and Max will use the keyboard to make them walk. Apparently it's the new style of all Telltale games. I just predict a lot of unwieldiness like I remember Grim Fandango being.
    I'm going to assume it's the same controls as in the new Monkey Island. Which...was clunky as well, but not overtly so.

Aldo on
  • Options
    JONJONAUGJONJONAUG Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Okay, apparently Telltale is making a new Sam and Max series in 2010.

http://www.telltalegames.com/samandmax2010

The original voices better be in there.

Speaking of which, I hope Telltale releases updated versions of both Season 1 and Season 2 with the original voices, like they're releasing an updated version of Tales of Monkey Island where Earl Boen now voices LeChuck in episode 1.

I would "eat worlds" for that to happen!

The current voices are fine, I actually like current Sam a lot better than the CD version of Hit the Road since his voice sounds a lot clearer.

WSAD or arrow keys to move around, hold shift to run, mouse to pick up things.

Once you get used to it the control scheme ends up being a lot smoother than point and click.

JONJONAUG on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm positive the Tales control scheme will be in the new Sam & Max. Tales was essentially a testing ground for it, since they added it late in development.

It's rather clunky at first, but I did get used to it by the end. If anything, it will probably improve even further.

Anyway, I'm so glad they got Earl Boen back, and I think it's amazing that they're going back and re-adding his voice, but I wouldn't want them to do the same for Sam & Max. If they're going to use the old voices for the new one, fine, but the Season voices were rather great, I felt. Excepting the whole Max switching in the beginning.

Besides, who knows if the old voice actors actually sound like they did 15 years ago?

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Anyway, I'm so glad they got Earl Boen back, and I think it's amazing that they're going back and re-adding his voice, but I wouldn't want them to do the same for Sam & Max. If they're going to use the old voices for the new one, fine, but the Season voices were rather great, I felt. Excepting the whole Max switching in the beginning.

Besides, who knows if the old voice actors actually sound like they did 15 years ago?

I'd rather they redid it with the old voices, because Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson were ROBBED, people. FOR FOUR YEARS IN A ROW, there hasn't been a single Sam and Max project sold legally in the United States that contains the original voices. I think I should have told you that earlier, but I might as well get it out in the open now.

I want the old ones back. I wish I could like the new ones, but I can't, I'm sorry. And Telltale still won't give me detailed information about them. All they tell me is that they're actors from the Bay Area, and nothing more. I tried many major search engines trying to come up with information about them, but came up empty.

Bad Asp on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The WASD movement that Telltale is using is better than the one they used in W&G, and much better than EMI, but still is clunky as hell. The funny thing is that their pathfinding actually isn't bad, so if you can keep clicking on things at the edge of the scene, you can walk over perfectly fine. They were actually doing a pretty good job of having items placed so you can move around without dealing with manual movement in ToMI 3 and 4, but then they through it out with multiple large areas in 5 with items you have to interact with in awkward as hell angles at the very edge of the screens. And then that one completely empty area with a corkscrew you have to fight with the changing camera angles to navigate around.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Don't take this the wrong way, but you do know that you move by holding down the mouse button and dragging, right? Only asking 'cause you neglected to mention it, which struck me as odd.

I never once used WASD in Tales, and I honestly don't want to. The mouse system works fine, barring a few inconsistensies that I'm sure they'll iron out down the line.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, I know there's the mouse drag, but it's even more awkward (for me) than WASD

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yikes, this isn't a very popular thread, is it? It seems like I'm one of the few people who actually posts here...

Maybe by 2010 this series will become a breakout hit. (That is, if I have anything to say about it...)

Bad Asp on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yikes, this isn't a very popular thread, is it? It seems like I'm one of the few people who actually posts here...

Maybe by 2010 this series will become a breakout hit. (That is, if I have anything to say about it...)
    Well yes, this is just one of those games I enjoyed playing, but it's not like I can discuss the finer points for an extended period of time. You'll notice most exclusively single player games that are not hyped up to the point that newspapers start to run articles on it do not have big active threads.

That's not necessarily bad for Sam & Max, it's just not the kind of entertainment we can talk a lot about as a community.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I think we should do something attention-grabbing, something that will raise awareness of Sam and Max and draw people to it.

Something controversial, perhaps? Controversy always grabs attention!

Bad Asp on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Picked up season 1 dvd and just finished it last week. Good stuff. Little on the easy side, though i did have a bit of trouble with episode 4. Maybe I should go back to SMHTR while I wait for Season 2 to come out

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Picked up season 1 dvd and just finished it last week. Good stuff. Little on the easy side, though i did have a bit of trouble with episode 4. Maybe I should go back to SMHTR while I wait for Season 2 to come out
    Uh

oh wait you're playing on the Wii I guess? Season 2 has been out for a while on the PC. I read season 3 is in the works now that they're done with season 1 of Monkey Island.

Aldo on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Aldo wrote: »
    Uh

oh wait you're playing on the Wii I guess? Season 2 has been out for a while on the PC. I read season 3 is in the works now that they're done with season 1 of Monkey Island.
    Hrm, well, maybe my google-fu is weak. I swore I tried to find the DVD and couldn't find it. Welp, there goes some of my christmas money

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Since I'd really, really, REALLY like the original voices back (not giving up on my dream), I just had to create a new Sam and Max site. Check the link in my profile under Contact Info to see it... please?

Bad Asp on
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hit The Road was the first Point and Click I ever played. I know how to play through it to this day.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Things change. Life moves on. At this point the original Lucas Arts game voices probably represent the minority of the Sam and Max voice media out there.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Since I'd really, really, REALLY like the original voices back (not giving up on my dream), I just had to create a new Sam and Max site. Check the link in my profile under Contact Info to see it... please?
    My current goals are:

1. To get LucasArts to rerelease "Sam and Max Hit the Road" in the United States, and/or uncancel "Sam and Max: Freelance Police", since those are the only two Sam and Max products that contain the original voices

2. To get Telltale to remake its current Sam and Max series so that Bill Farmer voices Sam and Nick Jameson voices Max

3. To convince Steve Purcell to create an entirely new Sam and Max series that contains the original voices just in case options 1 and 2 fail, like maybe an animated series for Adult Swim

Goddamn it, dude. I hate propagating memes, but I feel like Picard facepalming you so hard right now.

Cherrn on