Options

This is the [Droid] you're looking for - $199 with 2-year Contract, hits 11/6

• Options
    Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I asked this a while back but with another comment, so I think it was ignored.

is anyone else having problems with the battery cover coming off when taking it out of their pocket? It happens pretty often for mine and I'm wondering if I have a bum latch or it's just how it's built.

Helpless Rock on
    WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

is anyone else having problems with the battery cover coming off when taking it out of their pocket? It happens pretty often for mine and I'm wondering if I have a bum latch or it's just how it's built.
    I don't have a problem with this at all, but apparently some people do. Lifehacker has a fix, I guess?

http://lifehacker.com/5420606/fix-a-loose-battery-cover-on-your-droid

gilrain on
  • Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I've got a cover on mine, so no problems here. And just to add, this phone is awesome.

WolveSight on
    253J736.png
  • Options
    risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    gilrain wrote: »

I don't have a problem with this at all, but apparently some people do. Lifehacker has a fix, I guess?

http://lifehacker.com/5420606/fix-a-loose-battery-cover-on-your-droid

Awesome. This seems to be working. Thanks.

Helpless Rock on
    WT83sWz.jpg
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Here's an interesting problem. Whenever I connect my Droid to my PC by USB, my computer's audio (headset or speakers) are drowned out by godawful random static. Does this happen to anyone else?

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm new to the whole smartphone thing. I'm going to be charging this thing every day, aren't I?

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'm new to the whole smartphone thing. I'm going to be charging this thing every day, aren't I?

I do mine every night or every other night depending on use. Usually just have it charge while I sleep.

Helpless Rock on
    WT83sWz.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, when i say I am extremely happy with the Droid's battery life, that translates to: it lasts all day, even long 6:00 AM to 2:00 AM days. But it does need to be charged every night. I end with about 60% battery, which would get me through about half of the next day. I've plugged every cell I've ever owned in at night, though, so that doesn't phase me at all.

gilrain on
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    OK, everyone. I've heard that the Droid's camera is, well, not so great and that the Droid Eris' camera is generally superior. I've also heard that the 2.0.1 update improved the Droid's camera somewhat (and presumably also fixed the bizarre date-related bug as well). So how is the Droid's camera performance now?

Basically, I'm trying to decide if I want the Droid or Droid Eris, but I can't quite figure out which one I think is clearly superior for my purposes. The Sense UI looks much slicker/more polished than the default Android UI, and I think I like the general design of the Droid Eris more than the Droid, but I also hate to not get the more powerful Droid while I've got the chance. I'm leaning toward getting the Droid at the moment, but that tends to fluctuate every couple of days. So far the breakdown seems to be:

Processor: Droid
    UI: Droid Eris
    Web browser: D. Eris (mainly because of pinch to zoom)
    Camera: D. Eris (based on initial reviews)
    Screen: Droid
    Android OS: Droid
    On screen keyboard: Droid Eris

Now I imagine most of the categories the Droid lags in compared with its little "brother" can be solved: a replacement on screen keyboard can be installed, and I imagine a browser with pinch-to-zoom will be available on the market place soon if it isn't already. That leaves the camera and the user interface as the last two weak points of the Droid compared with the Droid Eris.

Does anyone know if Verizon would allow you to buy a phone, try it for a couple weeks, and then exchange it for a different one to try for another couple weeks? I suppose that'd be the best way to figure out which one I like better...

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    RBach wrote:
    I imagine a browser with pinch-to-zoom will be available on the market place soon if it isn't already.
    Dolphin is a browser with pinch-zoom, tabs, and gestures. It's not perfect, but it has some nice features.

Also, I'm kinda getting pissed at my Droid, seems every time I use a head set it doesn't reset the speaker and/or mic to normal mode. ie, I made a call after taking the head set out and the mic seemed to be off, another time I made a call and even with the volume cranked I could barely hear the other end. Both were fixed my a reboot. Has any one else had a similar issue?

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I wasn't expecting to get one today, but I've got a shiny new droid in hand. This thing is certainly sexy.

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    PracticalProblemSolverPracticalProblemSolver Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Okay so I got a droid today, plugged it in and the motorola logo shows up but that's it, I assume there's more to it? How long is the startup process?

PracticalProblemSolver on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The initial one is just 3 or 4 minutes. Should take you to a screen with the Android duder who prompts you to activate.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    It was doa, I got a new one from the store, yay.

oops totp'd, I need a good todo, task, gtd type list software, preferably one that integrates with gcal, and a good password manager, any suggestions?

• Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    In any case, this quick, pleasant update really raises my confidence that Motorola and Verizon are really putting their full weight behind this phone. I know it'll be outdated in a month, specs wise, but the huge advertising campaign, and install base as a result, means this is one Android phone that won't languish for attention/updates.

This. This is why I traded in my new HTC Imagio to get the Droid on launch day in the first place. Because of the big marketing push (compared to, say, the Storm 2), I figured there'd be lots of support for the device. I'm glad that we're seeing an update so soon, especially because it corrects minor issues to improve things overall - and, as you guys said, it bodes well for the future.

I had lots of tiny issues with the Imagio, and I knew that no fix was forthcoming. The Droid does everything better - it's more responsive, it's faster, the sound quality is better... Even little things like the screen turning off when the phone's held to your face. The Imagio did that too, but the screen would turn on if you moved it the tiniest bit, and that was annoying. I'm just thrilled with the Droid.

The Storm had a HUGE marketing campaign and they abandoned not only it but it's Storm 2 offspring!
    The Palm Pre isn't getting alot of love right now and it just came out with a big marketing push too.

My friend argues that the Droid is the Ps3 of the Android market (the flag ship, will always be upgraded a'la the PS3 being the flagship bluray player and getting constant compatibility upgrades) but I think the Android market already being fractured plus a looming "Google" phone is just going to make it even more messier.

I think the worse idea ever was launching a series of Android phones at the same time all running different versions and with different interfaces at once.

Don't try to tie them to an Android experience when there isn't really a definite and describable Android experience yet. One plus the iPhone has - Apple simply laid it out and said take it or leave it this is what an iPhone experience is - right down to the pain in the ass purchasing obstacle course. Even with the hardware versions, they didn't change the fundamental gui etc.

At least Verizon is playing nice , when they used to force their GUI over the top of all phones for a "unified" experience and cut built-in features out of their handsets it was a horrible horrible idea that should have bit them more in the ass then it has.

useless4 on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    All of Verizon's dumbphones continue to run their proprietary OS.

Even across versions and custom manufacturer interfaces Android remains functionally the same. There may be slight differences in keyboards or widgets or a feature or two but interactively if you're comfortable with one you're comfortable with all of them.

You may prefer one over the other based on the differences between each, and yes it causes developers a bit of headache making sure their programs are compatable but that's the inevitable result of an open platform. You have options. You may not like all of them, but you're not stuck with the all-in/all-out option the iPhone presents where it's their entire product ecosystem or the highway.

JAEF on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So I just bought a Droid Eris. Happy already with my first smartphone.

But I kind of already want a new wallpaper and clock widget. I want a blue theme of sorts.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Athenor wrote: »
    So I just bought a Droid Eris. Happy already with my first smartphone.

But I kind of already want a new wallpaper and clock widget. I want a blue theme of sorts.
    640x480 is the wallpaper size for the Eris, if you want to make your own from another image.

Does anyone have any idea how to look up and/or assign album art in the Eris' default media player? I downloaded TuneWiki and it was able to find quite a few of them, but they don't appear in any other apps.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So the salesman at Verizon (happened to be there today) told me about PandaHome, which gives the Droid 6 screens instead of the normal 3. I figured this was a thing others might like to know, as it made my droid instantly more awesome.

Goose! on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Goose! wrote: »
    So the salesman at Verizon (happened to be there today) told me about PandaHome, which gives the Droid 6 screens instead of the normal 3. I figured this was a thing others might like to know, as it made my droid instantly more awesome.

This is actually something I'm really worried about with the Eris upgrade... losing the 7 screens.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I barely use 3. More like 1.5, with one page being bookmarks I never use.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Last stupid question..

Can anyone recommend an Eris skin or case? I have a really, REALLY nice one for my iPod that has kind of a stylistic thing going for it, and I'd like something similar for my phone. Just something to spruce up the black.

Now, I've had the Invisible Shield stuff recommended to me.. but I suspect that is not exactly what I'm looking for, and I don't know how well it would work either.

I guess I'm just kind of lost in the wilderness here, and I'm not sure where to turn for advice on getting the most out of my new toy.

Athenor on
  • Options
    Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hey guys - I'm going to be getting a new phone here in the next month and I'm debating between the Eris and Motorola Droid. I went and played with them a bit and like them both. I've used my Dare forever, so the slide out qwerty isn't a big deal.

With the $100 price difference and the Eris getting 2.0 pretty soon here anyway, is there any other big selling point to the Motorola that I'm missing?

Romero Zombie on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hey guys - I'm going to be getting a new phone here in the next month and I'm debating between the Eris and Motorola Droid. I went and played with them a bit and like them both. I've used my Dare forever, so the slide out qwerty isn't a big deal.

With the $100 price difference and the Eris getting 2.0 pretty soon here anyway, is there any other big selling point to the Motorola that I'm missing?

The droid has a lot more muscle under the hood than the Eris. Which would make it more future proof, which is why I bought the Droid.

Simpsonia on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    It is dishonest to use the words future proof in describing any cell phone.

The real question with Droid vs Eris how important are pocketability (size & weight) to you over display size, processor power and a keyboard?

A faster phone when typing in Android-taxing pages like the forums, full of their devil scripts, and a keyboard for that and things like emulators would be nice. For me however, priority uno is that I don't look and feel like I'm smuggling a brick in my trousers.

JAEF on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Does anyone know if the Proxoid app works with the Droid? I was talking about it with my dad last night and he said that Verizon had told him that tethering was unavailable, but we weren't sure if this would be a way to get around that. He travels a lot so tethering to his phone would be very useful.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the Proxoid app works with the Droid? I was talking about it with my dad last night and he said that Verizon had told him that tethering was unavailable, but we weren't sure if this would be a way to get around that. He travels a lot so tethering to his phone would be very useful.
    I haven't heard of Proxoid, but my understanding is that PdaNet does just fine for tethering, Droid on VZW included. It's a bit expensive, but it's a one-time cost versus VZW's tethering plan. :P

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Any way to turn down the speakerphone? It's on the lowest setting and driving me nuts while I'm waiting on hold, speakerphone is too loud, normal mode is too quiet...

• Options
    GlitchGlitch Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    I haven't heard of Proxoid, but my understanding is that PdaNet does just fine for tethering, Droid on VZW included. It's a bit expensive, but it's a one-time cost versus VZW's tethering plan. :P

I have PDAnet on my Droid and I haven't used the USB functionality, but it works beautifully with my Macbook over Bluetooth. Not familiar with Proxoid either.

pdanet @ AndroLib

Glitch on
  • Options
    dodosdodos Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm one of those that's currently between a Droid and Droid Eris.

I'd just like to know how significant the processor speed difference is and how often Droid users actually use the keyboard.

Also - any reason not to enjoy the Sense UI? What advantages/features does it have that Android/apps don't? The flash on the Droid doesn't impress me and I can't think of anything else besides the CPU and screen size (+ unusable keyboard) that the Eris doesn't do. But...do those HTC trackballs get gunky like an old Mighty Mouse?

dodos on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    dodos wrote: »
    I'm one of those that's currently between a Droid and Droid Eris.

I'd just like to know how significant the processor speed difference is and how often Droid users actually use the keyboard.

Also - any reason not to enjoy the Sense UI? What advantages/features does it have that Android/apps don't? The flash on the Droid doesn't impress me and I can't think of anything else besides the CPU and screen size (+ unusable keyboard) that the Eris doesn't do. But...do those HTC trackballs get gunky like an old Mighty Mouse?

Unless I'm wrong, going with something with SenseUI means you can't just upgrade your OS whenever a new release comes out. The Eris is running 1.5/1.6 isn't it? And you can't upgrade to 2.0 until they write up and finish SenseUI for 2.0. Over time, they'll probably stop making upgrades for it, similar to how certain WinMo devices don't get 6.1 or 6.5 updates from their manufacturers, despite the hardware being able to handle it.

Then again, it's Android, and I'm sure it's a lot easier to hack the upgrade if you ever wanted/needed to onto the device than WinMo would be.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    so my home screen won't rotate to landscape unless I slide open the keyboard. is this normal?

Molybdenum on
  • Options
    KevdogKevdog Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    so my home screen won't rotate to landscape unless I slide open the keyboard. is this normal?

I think so. Mine's the same way, and I also remember noticing it when I was playing with the demo model in the store.

Kevdog on
  • Options
    SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've been having the same problem on my Droid. Part of my problem was that I was rotating it the wrong way - it won't tilt to landscape if you rotate it to the right (I think). Silly, but that has solved some of those cases. It doesn't work all the time, though.

Spacemilk on
  • Options
    risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    dodos wrote: »

Can't answer for speed differences, but I can tell you I always use the physical keyboard. I try to like the onscreen keyboards, but I just can't do it. The one thing I miss on the physical keyboard is having a spell check. Hopefully there will be a better keyboard app for the physical one if there isn't one already.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    While the physical keyboard sucks, you get used to it pretty fast. I've likened it to the switch over to a netbook.

It also doesn't help that I dropped my Droid on the top left corner, and now any time I touch something on the left side of the screen the whole front panel gives a little bit.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I use my physical keyboard for everything, and love it. I only use the onscreen for anything less than a sentence. I don't know what other people complain about. It feels solid, has nice clicks, and is easy to use, to my thumbs anyway.

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I would put my keyboard usage at:

landscape virtual 1/8
    portrait virtual 4/8
    physical 3/8

the portrait virtual is usually just more convenient for the current usage situation. For longer messages and pretty much anytime I'm already in landscape the slider takes priority.

I've done some interwebbing about the homescreen thing- apparently such apps as panda and Home++ allow for the home screen to rotate, but a stock Droid does not rotate the homescreen unless the keyboard is opened. I don't really know if this sort of thing is fixable with a 2.1 update or not, but the other main advantage of homescreen apps (5 home screens instead of 3) is rumored to be included in 2.1.

Another annoying orientation bug I've run into is photo rotation. The droid camera/gallery apps auto-rotate your image when the phone rotates, as well as fitting the image onto your screen as best it can- so you can get stuck viewing a photo in the wrong orientation regardless of flipping your phone back and forth. To solve this issue I either open photos with Astro's image viewer or rotate my phone to the left so as to not trigger the auto-rotate. Both solutions are a little sketch; Astro doesn't include the share features and rotating without triggering the auto-rotate can be tricky.

Molybdenum on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    There is an app called "Metal Detector" and it works.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.