As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Halo3/Wars/Reach - REACH BETA = May 3rd; NEW REACH MULTI VID IN OP

• Options
    SnowblindvictimSnowblindvictim Flying casual Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Aw man, I just heard that my favorite tuning fork dropships won't be in the game.
    Ah well, I love those things. I've already gotten used to phantoms. But still...

Snowblindvictim on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't understand why they changed the look of the AR for Reach, it looks like a prototype of the Halo 1 AR. How long was it between the fall of Reach and the Pillar of Autumn arriving at Alpha Halo?

The story I'm sticking with is that Reach is a big planet, and has many stockpiles of guns. Trainees probably have access to different stocks than veterans, who probably have access to different stocks than law enforcement.. and so on.

Weaponry is always being revised, it makes sense that lots of wacky variants will be out there.

If you now ask me to explain why 'newer' guns in H2 or H3 are weaker than their Reach counterparts, I'm just gonna stick my fingers in my ears and chant 'wort wort wort'.

xzzy on
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Aw man, I just heard that my favorite tuning fork dropships won't be in the game.
    Ah well, I love those things. I've already gotten used to phantoms. But still...

well it's a damn shame that
    both the spirit and phantom are in
    then.

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Leitner wrote: »
    I don't understand why they changed the look of the AR for Reach, it looks like a prototype of the Halo 1 AR. How long was it between the fall of Reach and the Pillar of Autumn arriving at Alpha Halo?

They left literally right after the battle was being lost. From above Reach.

Battle wasn't lost in an afternoon.

True, and your account was more accurate. But my general point was they didn't exactly have time to restock or implement new weapons. Though the fact that Pillar of Autumn was going on a special mission with top of the line kit makes any assumptions questionable.

Leitner on
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    What does a penis have to do with Halo knowledge?

I remember reading some mad shit from a previe about a 'darker' Halo for ODST. Then Chips Dubbo was in the flashbacks.

Chips Dubbo breakin' war tension erryday.

I was referencing:

217499198_cAm7g-L-2.jpg

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    SnowblindvictimSnowblindvictim Flying casual Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

then.
    Oh man! Fuck my source then, seriously.

Snowblindvictim on
  • Options
    043043 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    xzzy wrote: »

The story I'm sticking with is that Reach is a big planet, and has many stockpiles of guns. Trainees probably have access to different stocks than veterans, who probably have access to different stocks than law enforcement.. and so on.

Weaponry is always being revised, it makes sense that lots of wacky variants will be out there.

If you now ask me to explain why 'newer' guns in H2 or H3 are weaker than their Reach counterparts, I'm just gonna stick my fingers in my ears and chant 'wort wort wort'.

I just figured it's the MA2B. It's just a cut down MA5B, with less ammunition and the ability to mount suppressors.

Now the new BR, that's a prototype. And it fits in the timeline, with the SPARTAN-IIs using the same prototype on Reach when they go for Halsey in First Strike. We can assume it was rushed for production and ready to roll by the time the Covenant hit Earth in H2.

Or Bungie can claim artistic license, like the (internet induced) clusterfuck revolving around the Master Chief's gauntlets.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Quite a few varients on the MA Assault Rifle. Halo CE used the MA5B, and Halo 3 saw the integration of the brand new MA5C.

The squad is made up predominately of Spartan III's, and that generation liked themselves the MA5K, so that's a possibility. Spartan III's used them because they were stripped down and light, featuring a near skeletal frame.

@ S043: MA2 is really old. You don't rig spartans with 25 year old tech on the galactic human military planet.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010

then.
    Oh man! Fuck my source then, seriously.

Yeah, it was specifically stated that
    the flying tuning forks of doom

are back.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Quite a few varients on the MA Assault Rifle. Halo CE used the MA5B, and Halo 3 saw the integration of the brand new MA5C.

The squad is made up predominately of Spartan III's, and that generation liked themselves the MA5K, so that's a possibility. Spartan III's used them because they were stripped down and light, featuring a near skeletal frame.

@ S043: MA2 is really old. You don't rig spartans with 25 year old tech on the galactic human military planet.

I actually meant the one the S-IIIs used, but got my designations mixed up.

There are too many versions of the same gun in the Halo universe.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    043 wrote: »
    I actually meant the one the S-IIIs used, but got my designations mixed up.

There are too many versions of the same gun in the Halo universe.

I think the same of the AR-15 from time to time. Same general concept by my understanding, anyway.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Because spoilers.

Did you guys also know that
    elites are back
    and you play as a
    Spartan
    who was actually considered MIA but really, c'mon
    Jorge
    Spartans
    never
    die.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Talking of that, given
    Jorge
    is the only
    S-II
    doesn't that suggest his weapon may just be usable by him?

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Goddamnit

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    No seriously who wants to play this game

Because I've developed a strong liking to running around the map yelling "wort wort wort" on xbox live

T4CT on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oh man. Covenant talking alien again is the best thing.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm reading the newest Halo book (and really like a lot of the stories I've read so far), but The Mona Lisa was really good, but kind of depressing overall.
    It's about the crew of the UNSC Red Horse traveling to the wreckage of Installation 04 to recover the derelict UNSC Mona Lisa, a ship sent by ONI S3 to experiment on Elites and humans (prisoners) using Flood samples.

The Flood break out, and completely infect the ship. The Marines sent in find a prisoner who's befriended a captured Elite he calls "Henry", who fights off the Flood with a cricket bat. I'm not going to spoil the rest of the story here, but it turned out really good, and unless it's topped by something in the second half, is my favorite in the book.

Wort wort wort, indeed.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Destiny's DesireDestiny's Desire __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm reading the newest Halo book (and really like a lot of the stories I've read so far), but The Mona Lisa was really good, but kind of depressing overall.
    It's about the crew of the UNSC Red Horse traveling to the wreckage of Installation 04 to recover the derelict UNSC Mona Lisa, a ship sent by ONI S3 to experiment on Elites and humans (prisoners) using Flood samples.

The Flood break out, and completely infect the ship. The Marines sent in find a prisoner who's befriended a captured Elite he calls "Henry", who fights off the Flood with a cricket bat. I'm not going to spoil the rest of the story here, but it turned out really good, and unless it's topped by something in the second half, is my favorite in the book.

Wort wort wort, indeed.

Eric Nylund's story is the only good story in the book.

Destiny's Desire on
  • Options
    Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    No! I liked the one with the
    Drone prison camp

I wonder
    what the helmets looked like since they said they differ from the normal type

Angel177 on
    6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Angel177 wrote: »
    No! I liked the one with the
    Drone prison camp

I wonder
    what the helmets looked like since they said they differ from the normal type
    No, sorry, the characterization of Spartan: Black was terrible, and no Spartan would be like 'Hey lets go on an adventure with this drone'. Spartan Black was unprofessional as hell, and should have died, because they bloody well deserved it.

Also, this is what Spartan Black looks like

Spartan_Black-halo-next-431.jpg

Destiny's Desire on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Wort wort wort, indeed.

Okay.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

There hasn't been anything that screams "OH GOD THIS IS COMPLETELY AWFUL" yet in my reading so far.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Mechanical wrote: »

There hasn't been anything that screams "OH GOD THIS IS COMPLETELY AWFUL" yet in my reading so far.

If you read the Frank O'Conner story and at no time went 'Jesus Christ this written is terribly' then I just dont know what to say.

I couldnt even make it past the second page of that one.

Also, you know
    Brute observer guy just casually mentioning he had a day-trip on High Charity

Destiny's Desire on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I am in matchmaking and would like mans to join me

I'm also playing elite because goddamn they are just super cool.

T4CT on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    T4CT wrote: »
    Shitting all over Fall of Reach.

I fucking cried.
    When have Bungie given two shits about the books?

The books are completely secondary and always have been. Bungie doesn't let them get in the way of their games.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Gap between giving two shits and books being secondary is quite wide, bud.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Obvious Bungie has the right to nix the books and retcon whatever they feel like at any given time because they're (currently) in charge of the property

but they stated once upon a time that these books were going to be canon and it'd be nice if they at least acknowledged the fact that they exist, especially since some of Nylund's work is very well done.

T4CT on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm also playing elite because goddamn they are just super cool.

Preach it!

rocket_brokeback_lo.jpg

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Obvious Bungie has the right to nix the books and retcon whatever they feel like at any given time because they're (currently) in charge of the property

but they stated once upon a time that these books were going to be canon and it'd be nice if they at least acknowledged the fact that they exist, especially since some of Nylund's work is very well done.

I thought their officially unofficial statement was that the books are canon, until they are not. Games are their priority, and nothing's going to stop them making the game they want to make.

xzzy on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    i'm gonna go ahead and treat the books like the star wars books
    which means they are cool fiction set in a familiar universe
    but i don't give two shits if they contradict the books as long as we get an awesome game

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hey guys.

:smug face:

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Leitner wrote: »
    Hey guys.

:smug face:

You dont have Halo Wars general achievement.
    EVA helmet is invalid.

Destiny's Desire on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Okay, that actually looks pretty boss.

EDIT: Hey, I just picked up Nuts and Bolts and I remember some people in here palying it. Is anyone still?

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    That was their statement and that was the point of my first two lines, but I bet they could have made the game without totally shaftibg out FoR.

T4CT on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've been in Europe for a few weeks, so just wondering who won the screenshot contest.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    so got my issue of GI, and man does it look great. really like the idea of the armor perks, definitely like it better than the equipment. sprinting in halo is going to be so great.
    also it mentions areas where the team splits up, which quashes my theory of 6 player co-op (though i'm sure one of the spartans will die so i guess it wouldn't work anyway)

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Gap between giving two shits and books being secondary is quite wide, bud.
    take your pick, then

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I wonder if they still have flag-slows-you-down, if the sprint equipment would cancel it out and make you walk normal speed..

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So it's confirmed that we have CoD-esque perks, then? At least it makes more sense in Halo than in CoD, what with the players being Spartans and merely having special equipment.

Man, now I'm getting excited for the beta again.

Mx. Quill on
This discussion has been closed.