As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Canadian Politics: Proroguery Electric Boogaloo (with epic Harper evil picture in OP)

• Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Holy shit you guise, I can't believe I haven't heard this yet up in here.

Q: Why did the chicken cross the road?
    A: To ask the Governor General to prorogue parliament.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Err, it's usually the Democratic Party in the US being likened to a Big Tent, not the Republicans. The Republican economic conservatives aren't as substantial a force (yet).

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Aegis wrote: »
    Err, it's usually the Democratic Party in the US being likened to a Big Tent, not the Republicans. The Republican economic conservatives aren't as substantial a force (yet).

The Democratic party are kind of a mix between the Greens, the NDP and the Liberals with the PC thrown in for good measure.

The GOP are basically the Reform party + other crazy regional parties that don't have enough traction to be relevant on any level

Robman on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Robman wrote: »

The Democratic party are kind of a mix between the Greens, the NDP and the Liberals with the PC thrown in for good measure.

The GOP are basically the Reform party + other crazy regional parties that don't have enough traction to be relevant on any level

And the Bloc (for the Dems). At least for their ideological stance and less for the regionalism.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I wish the Bloc would take a stronger role in Parliament. It's shameful that they control so many seats and yet have no Senatorial representation

Robman on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Um ... what?

The phrase "Big Tent" in the US has almost always been used to describe the Republican Party and their coalition between Social Conservatives, Economics Conservatives and Neo-Cons (or proto-Neo-Cons or War Hawks or what have you).

The whole GOP coalition exists because the US Conservatives back in the 70s played straight to the racist fuckwad idiot "Value Voter" in the South in order to get enough demographics behind them to win elections.

The same way the new Conservative Party here is the result of the PC party allying themselves with Reform Crazies from the West in order to get enough demographics behind them to win elections.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    shryke wrote: »

Um ... what?

The phrase "Big Tent" in the US has almost always been used to describe the Republican Party and their coalition between Social Conservatives, Economics Conservatives and Neo-Cons (or proto-Neo-Cons or War Hawks or what have you).

The whole GOP coalition exists because the US Conservatives back in the 70s played straight to the racist fuckwad idiot "Value Voter" in the South in order to get enough demographics behind them to win elections.

The same way the new Conservative Party here is the result of the PC party allying themselves with Reform Crazies from the West in order to get enough demographics behind them to win elections.

Except that it applies far more to the Democratic Party than the Republicans and since at least the 90s has referred to the Democrats? The Republicans are nowhere near a Big Tent coalition compared to the wide range of ideological stances within the Democratic Party.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Um ... what?

Except that it applies far more to the Democratic Party than the Republicans and since at least the 90s has referred to the Democrats? The Republicans are nowhere near a Big Tent coalition compared to the wide range of ideological stances within the Democratic Party.

Except that you are wrong. Like ... really wrong. Do you know much about American Politics?

shryke on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Um ... what?

Except that you are wrong. Like ... really wrong. Do you know much about American Politics?

So the Blue Dogs are imaginary? The environmentalist segment of the Democrat party doesn't conflict with the Banking/Industry segment or the Progressive segment or that there are differences between the African-American and Latino segments with the rest of the party?

Whereas we have the Republican party with an ignored economic conservative wing (to the point that the Democrats have started picking them up through Blue Dogs) that has been at the helm of neo-conservatives and social conservatives for a long time now, with the two of them mainly complimentary as they both had separate spheres of concern (foreign policy vs. social policy), and now are beginning to purge the party of anything not resembling the two (moreso the social conservatives)?

I mean, it's nice and all that you're trying your hardest to paint the Conservatives as Republicans, but you'd have a better job doing so through references to ideological similarities and/or governing tactics than trying to apply Big Tent which hasn't been a descriptor of the Republican party for, again, two decades. And if you're going to post something, post something substantive and do me the fucking credit of an argument than an ad hominem.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Are you guys seriously arguing whether a political marketing term applies to the Democrats or Republicans?

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    hippofant wrote: »
    Well, as a bitter old Red Tory, I think a lot of people have lost sight of how fragile the coalition that formed the modern incarnation of the Conservative Party actually is. They were only able to pull off the merger itself with some pretty egregious double dealing, and there are certainly people within the party who are disgusted by Harper. There are also a heck of a lot of people who think that the problem is that the party is either not enough like the Mike Harris Tories in Ontario, or not enough like the Reform party. One could be forgiven for hoping that, in the event of Harper's removal as party leader, there are sufficient sour grapes that the donation well begins to dry up.

What what? Did someone say coalition?! Our government's under attack! It's a coup! It's a coup!

It's only a coup if the MPs involved don't all have the same letterhead.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So for a change of pace, what do you guys think of the governments response to the Haiti crisis? From what I have seen it has been pretty good so far.

Disco11 on
    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Disco11 wrote: »
    So for a change of pace, what do you guys think of the governments response to the Haiti crisis? From what I have seen it has been pretty good so far.

I would agree that the response so far seems to be appropriate.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

• Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    In the back of Harper's mind, there's a conflict going on: one side says, "jeez, fifty thousand people lost their lives, this is awful," and the other says, "...but I haven't heard my name or the word 'prorogue' on the CBC in almost two days."

But anyway, it is reassuring to see massive international support on this scale. Today, my cynicism is taking a break from its normal rolling boil.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Torso Boy wrote: »
    In the back of Harper's mind, there's a conflict going on: one side says, "jeez, fifty thousand people lost their lives, this is awful," and the other says, "...but I haven't heard my name or the word 'prorogue' on the CBC in almost two days."

But anyway, it is reassuring to see massive international support on this scale. Today, my cynicism is taking a break from its normal rolling boil.

I was talking to my dad earlier, he was trying to donate funds to the Red Cross but their website was down due to traffic.

That makes me happy.

Robman on
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Corvus wrote: »
    Well, I guess the government isn't completely heartless.

Only when there's a natural disaster to exploit.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    This qualifies as a no-brainer. Plus, heartlessly speaking, it is a pretty convenient distraction for the government.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I guess we can at least credit Harper with the sense to keep the ultra-religious retards silent rather then spouting off that "god willed it to that nation of sinners" shit that permeating the US media right now.

Robman on
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Do you really think there are those in Canada who even think that? That earthquake in many ways could just as easily done its damage to places within our borders or to the south of us. Its such a copious amount of bullshit to even think that they deserved it for their sins when we are all sinners.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Thankfully we don't have anyone like Pat Robertson on TV. But it's important to remember that Harper appointed a bunch of far-right evangelical activists to various posts including chief of staff Darrel Reid, former president of Focus On The Family Canada and close personal friend of "Doctor" James "beating your children makes them grow up proper" Dobson

Azio on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Do you really think there are those in Canada who even think that? That earthquake in many ways could just as easily done its damage to places within our borders or to the south of us. Its such a copious amount of bullshit to even think that they deserved it for their sins when we are all sinners.

Red'd for also being copious bullshit.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Azio wrote: »
    Reminder that Harper's chief of staff is Darrel Reid, former president of Focus On The Family Canada and close personal friend of "Doctor" James "beating your children makes them grow up proper" Dobson

I've heard rumblings that a big british survey found that children that were spanked when young develop into better kids on almost all developmental indexes.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    That's nice

Azio on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Imperfect wrote: »

Red'd for also being copious bullshit.

I was going to make a retort about "well maybe you're perfect and all", but then I saw your screen name and I could only laugh.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Nah, I just don't buy into this "we're all sinners and awful and we should feel guilty and repeeeeeeent" bullshit.

Live your life as right as you can and don't sweat it. It's easy.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Nah, I just don't buy into this "we're all sinners and awful and we should feel guilty and repeeeeeeent" bullshit.

Well yeah, live your life as right as you can. That's the best anyone can do. But no one (you and I included) will do it perfectly all the time, we all make mistakes. So we're all sinners. I don't see what's "not to buy" here, it's a pretty straightforward idea.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Richy wrote: »

Well yeah, live your life as right as you can. That's the best anyone can do. But no one (you and I included) will do it perfectly all the time, we all make mistakes. So we're all sinners. I don't see what's "not to buy" here, it's a pretty straightforward idea.

There's a difference between recognizing that people are flawed and viewing them as "sinners". It's a loaded word with implications beyond mere acknowledgment of human imperfections.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

• Options
    edited January 2010

There's a difference between recognizing that people are flawed and viewing them as "sinners". It's a loaded word with implications beyond mere acknowledgment of human imperfections.

You put it much better than I could have.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Yes it's a loaded word, it's also the perfect word to use in response to religious fundamentalists like Pat Robertson et al.

Seriously, what do you think is a more productive counter to Robertson's bullshit? Yammering about what Richard Dawkins thinks, or confronting him with the major tenets of his (purported) own religion?

So I have no problem with Wolverine's post.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

That the concept of "Sin" is in and of itself just some religious bullshit to make people feel guilty?

hawkbox on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »

Yes it's a loaded word, it's also the perfect word to use in response to religious fundamentalists like Pat Robertson et al.

Seriously, what do you think is a more productive counter to Robertson's bullshit? Yammering about what Richard Dawkins thinks, or confronting him with the major tenets of his (purported) own religion?

So I have no problem with Wolverine's post.

Neither one of those are productive counters, though anything Richard Dawkins has to say is probably less effective. There are probably close to a billion Christians who don't buy into the sort of fundamentalist pop Christianity that Pat Robertson and his ilk espouse. When it comes to some one like Pat Robertson, there are roughly two things any of us can do:
    1. Don't take anything he says to heart
    2. Don't give him any money or assistance

The thing is, we're not talking to Pat Robertson, or even any Christian fundamentalist, right now. If you're actually talking to one, it might be helpful, but that's not the case right now.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

• Options
    edited January 2010
    I disagree. Strongly. If you accept the premise that there is such a thing as sin and that we're all sinners, you accept a whole lot of other premises as well that can topple your argument before you form it. Mistakes are different from sin - sin is a divine concept, as writ by God. Rear-ending a guy in a car is an accident. Rear-ending a guy in the butt is a sin in the eyes of God.

Unless of course you don't accept the concept of sin in the first place, then you can actually discuss homosexuality on its merits instead of on the tenet of "God sez no."

Imperfect on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I disagree. Strongly. If you accept the premise that there is such a thing as sin and that we're all sinners, you accept a whole lot of other premises as well that can topple your argument before you form it. Mistakes are different from sin - sin is a divine concept, as writ by God. Rear-ending a guy in a car is an accident. Rear-ending a guy in the butt is a sin in the eyes of God.

Unless of course you don't accept the concept of sin in the first place, then you can actually discuss homosexuality on its merits instead of on the tenet of "God sez no."

I like the idea of sin. If there really is some cosmic lord god that created everything as he saw fit, then by god i'm going to stick it to him by sticking it in this lovely girl who I am seeing out of wedlock. Because if such a supreme being really cares about stuff like that, then they need to be taken down a notch.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    (Utilitarian atheist shows himself out of the thread for a day or two)

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So yeah, back to Canadian Politics

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2010/01/15/calgary-haiti-alberta-donations-stelmach-red-cross.html

Yukon: $25,000

British Columbia: $500,000

Manitoba: $100,000

Ontario: $1 million

Nova Scotia: $100,000

New Brunswick: $100,000

Prince Edward Island: $50,000

Newfoundland and Labrador: $1 million

Alberta: 0 because BOOTSTRAPS

I hope some angry Hatians tie that fucker down and cockpunch him until he's a eunuch.

edit: rare win in CBC comments
    I for one, would have a real hard time riding that $7 M Alberta sponsored Olympic luxury train, knowing what's happening in Haiti. Sure there are tough decisions to make about where gov't spends money and that decision's been made already. But you're willing to spend my money on that stupid train, and then say 'no money from Alberta' to help ease this catastrophic human suffering? I've found money in my budget to make my donation, Ed, hopefully enough to make a small difference. The tax break? I could care less. I don't think that's the main reason why most people donate, FYI. This makes Albertans look like cheapskates - even the maratimes are donating.

I wonder, if given the choice, what ALBERTANS would rather do with our tax dollars...help people to enjoy the high life, or give people a chance to live.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Azio on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

There's a fantastic use of taxpayer money right there. Let's spend money on a legal fight where, if we win, the taxpayer will get stuck with a bigger bill. That's leaving aside all the other benefits. In strictly dollars and cents terms, InSite is bargain.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

• Options
    edited January 2010
    You know what would be really nice

If the Olympics vendors donated every dollar of profit to Haiti to assist the reconstruction of ahahahhahaaha yeah that's going to happen.

Robman on
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Hurray!

Of course they made that decision, it's the decision that every single study done on the thing supports. I've read several of them. Stupid mutter mutter conservatives useless fucks mutter mutter

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.