As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect 1&2 - Ahhhhhh yes, the "REAPERS".

• Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    mwoody wrote: »
    august wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    I just beat this.
    Not bad. The final mission was kinda easy (I hit level 30 during it, playing on veteran). Everything was fully upgraded, barring a few shotty and AR that I couldn't afford at the time.

It was pretty cool, but didn't feel anywhere near as epic as the ending to ME1. And seriously, what's the point of a human-shaped Reaper? Especially if all the others in that final cutscene are shaped exactly the same as Sovereign. I expected some variation there, depending on which species was dominant at the time of each reaper's construction.

Still, a satisfying game. Would play again.

They aren't shaped exactly the same. Similar critters but they're mostly different.
    Perhaps finished reapers are encased in a tomblike shell for interstellar travel, so that inside those differently shaped structures, the creature running things resembles its parent race. Remember that giant skeleton thing is still very early in construction.
    I imagined it would ride in that giant Collector ship and fuck shit up on the ground.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    Frosty the Snow PlowFrosty the Snow Plow Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    -Tal wrote: »
    ahahah oh my god i died

total fail on my part

but this ending is still pretty epic, in its own way

I did something similar, where:
    After everyone ever died and it was just me, Miranda, and Jacob (so much for all that recruiting!), I decided to blow up the station, Miranda gave her sweet-ass "Consider this my resignation" ooh denied line to the Illusive Man who was just fuming that no one is listening to him.

...and she didn't survive past the platforms falling apart. Resignation indeed.

It's basically convinced me to romance Miranda next time through. That was such a rad display of loyalty.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I suddenly feel the need to have a game starring Joker, saving the universe all by himself and his plucky AI companion.
    Miranda talking back to the Illusive Man was great. On the off chance she survived, I would have totally romanced her.

Those deaths were painful, man. Jack, my romance, was the first to go after I finally made her happy. I had just saved Tali from exile, and the engine went kaboom on her. Thane...stabbed before even going on his mission, and never got to talk to his son. Garrus did everything right...except stick his goddamn head out. Garrus, you lovable fool. Jacob sacrificed himself to save the crew, Mordin got taken away by bugs while defending Samara. Zaeed was one man fighting a horde, but fought bravely to the end.

Grunt is still sleeping in the cargo hold, he can join Joker's team!

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Farout FoolioFarout Foolio Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Does installing make a noticeable difference? Do the cutscenes flow together better?

edit: When does miranda deliver that line? Does she have to be in your party?

Farout Foolio on
    2tyFzTC.png

• Options
    edited February 2010
    I suddenly feel the need to have a game starring Joker, saving the universe all by himself and his plucky AI companion.

It's a shame you can't import that ending. :(

Yeah.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Advice to any first time players: Don't skimp if you're trying to survive. Only a couple weak links can suddenly send everything to hell.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    If anyone wants to do another playthrough but doesn't want to worry about doing all the upgrades and loyalty again, do a reckless suicide run, it's a different story for sure.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    C0urtlandC0urtland Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hrrrrn a few topics for discussion!

First! I can't stand Miranda. From the moment I saw that chipmunk-esque Aussie badunka-dunk I hated her. Was she genetically engineered to keep that meter-long "I just smoked a blunt" smirk on her face on at all times or something!? Baked-appearance aside, her personality and backstory aren't all that riveting either. I find a lot of vague back-ground characters have more compelling history.

Secondly! Regarding the reaper fleet:
    Been reading a whole lot of "Many of the reapers share the same octopus/cuttlefish/crustacean design." I'm thinking that many of the apex races consumed by the harvesting cycle could have had billions upon billions of their species spread throughout the galaxy, leading to the creation of many, many reapers for a specific race. EDI speculated that it would take millions to create one reaper, maybe more - but I think she'd mention billions if that many were required. OR, the reapers just really, really enjoy aquatic-themed shells and each shell has an "embyro" better resembling the harvested species. ALL SHALL BE REVEALED IN TIME I GUESS!

Third! Lotta people complaining about our rough pal Zaeed! Saying he's been tacked on! Well I've been dragging his limey ass all over the place, and I gotta tell you he adds his own flavor to many a mission. The only thing limited by him is his lack of direct conversation - but he still has plenty to comment on in his own way and you can learn a lot about him (past and personality) regardless. Take him to Tuchanka. Learn of his love of dog fights.

C0urtland on
  • Options
    Captain FordoCaptain Fordo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Does installing make a noticeable difference? Do the cutscenes flow together better?

It certainly cut down on load times for me. On the normandy ,they're even visibly faster, the elevator actuall goes down on the screen speedier

Captain Fordo on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    C0urtland wrote: »

Been reading a whole lot of "Many of the reapers share the same octopus/cuttlefish/crustacean design." I'm thinking that many of the apex races consumed by the harvesting cycle could have had billions upon billions of their species spread throughout the galaxy, leading to the creation of many, many reapers for a specific race. EDI speculated that it would take millions to create one reaper, maybe more - but I think she'd mention billions if that many were required. OR, the reapers just really, really enjoy aquatic-themed shells and each shell has an "embyro" better resembling the harvested species. ALL SHALL BE REVEALED IN TIME I GUESS!
    They mentioned before that humans have much more genetic diversity than other species in the galaxy. I wonder how this ties into the human-reaper.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    James SheperedJames Shepered Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ahh! I just beat Mass Effect 2! Wow... im just... in this... mood. so much right now.

And I beat it the way I wanted, sure some
    crew died, and I would rather seen them live, (Leigon, Zaeed and Mordin :( ) but oh well, it everyone would have lived, it'd been sort of cheesy. Anyways, love this game! I plan on starting it with my Shepard on Hardcore for the second playthrough (I am still considering Insane but... after what I've heard on here... ).
    I'm not sure why I am saying all this, but it doesn't really matter to me. Just thought I'd come to a place where people might understand ;) I am in such a good mood :) then again, I am really sad it's over... more DLC come please!

James Shepered on
  • Options
    James SheperedJames Shepered Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

They mentioned before that humans have much more genetic diversity than other species in the galaxy. I wonder how this ties into the human-reaper.
    It'd be a sight to see a human-reaper full grown walking on a planet surface unleashing destruction. Like Dr. Manhanton in 'Nam on 'roids. ;)

James Shepered on
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I actually remember from the novels:
    The funny thing is, having spread out so much and, with aliens and all, abolished so many cultural, etc... barriers, Humanity is becoming progressively less diverse.

Antithesis on
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So... the one thing I didn't quite get:
    Why did Sheperd and his team leave the Normandy on the shuttle in the lead up to Joker's heroics? I just didn't get why they all left, then came back later.

Dangerbird on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Antithesis wrote: »

The funny thing is, having spread out so much and, with aliens and all, abolished so many cultural, etc... barriers, Humanity is becoming progressively less diverse.
    And we're already one of the least diverse species on Earth on top of that.

so aliens suck and are all the same, go Humans

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I can't believe I finished this game twice in one week.

Infiltrators > Everything else.

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    First! I can't stand Miranda. From the moment I saw that chipmunk-esque Aussie badunka-dunk I hated her.

I'm not sure that means what you think it means...

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    Infiltrators > Everything else.

[Endorsement] - "I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite post on the Citadel."

Can't quit you, Widow Mass Cannon + Assassination Cloak <3

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Shall we vote on what the mission your doing is while (VERY CLOSE TO END GAME SPOILER)
    Normandy's being attacked
    I cast my vote as a circle-jerk

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Shall we vote on what the mission your doing is while (VERY CLOSE TO END GAME SPOILER)

Spin the bottle.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This is probably a dumb question, but I can't find an answer anywhere. When I pull up the ability wheel, Grunt's shield thing is yellow, and every other party member seems to have a grey one. What's the difference?

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dangerbird wrote: »
    Why did Sheperd and his team leave the Normandy on the shuttle in the lead up to Joker's heroics? I just didn't get why they all left, then came back later.
    Apparently, every time you go on a mission, ever single person you've recruited comes with you, and you decide the team when you get there.

Miranda actually says "We'll all go, pick a team when we get there" as you're leaving.

It's... it's kind of ridiculous.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Behemoth wrote: »
    Apparently, every time you go on a mission, ever single person you've recruited comes with you, and you decide the team when you get there.

Miranda actually says "We'll all go, pick a team when we get there" as you're leaving.

I don't think it's every time.

It's an obvious plot device for something horrible to go wrong and not more complicated than that. The subsequent...sequence (hah!) was worth it.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Yeah but, where were they going? I just didn't get the whole,

EDI: "The IFF isn't ready yet, we'd better run some tests first."

Shep: "Ok, I'll take the shuttle".

yeah but... where? Take the shuttle where? And why?

Dangerbird on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Well I think it's assuming your intent is to go somewhere when you hit the Galaxy map.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

On whatever mission you selected!

That scene doesn't trigger until you leave the ship. In my case it was kind of silly, since I was going down to a planet.

"Yeah, we, uh, always take the shuttle"

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Look, we might be more different from eachother, but asari are still way hotter.
    meffect220100201014143.jpg

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Spin the bottle.

It's Mordin's birthday.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I was going to the Citadel when it happed, didn't really make sence for them to
    attack you
    so close to the Citadel :/

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Pancake, your Shep is kinda hot. Well done.

Houn on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Pancake wrote: »

Look, we might be more different from eachother, but asari are still way hotter.
    meffect220100201014143.jpg

It's like she's making faces at you behind your back.

"Oh, I'm Commander Shepard and this is my blah blah blah!"

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I was going to the Citadel when it happed, didn't really make sence for them to
    attack you
    so close to the Citadel :/
    I just finished Legion's loyalty quest, which is in the middle of empty space. That made no sense. I guess they were doing a scenic tour of total nothingness.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Finishing the Suicide mission with most of your team dieing is much better then everybody surviving is much better IMO
    EXCEPT GARRUS GETTING BUTCHERED BY SEEKER SWARMS NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Well I think it's assuming your intent is to go somewhere when you hit the Galaxy map.
    Ohh, okay, thats why it didn't make sense for me. I was notified that the IFF was ready, so I went to the star chart and got the "We'll take the shuttle" cutscene. Then it went right into Joker's thing.

Dangerbird on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Next thread title should be: Humans ARE all racist!

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Wasn't that the last one? Either that or the one before that. I vote we go back to "Sir Issac Newton is the deadliest son of a bitch in space!" since it got started too soon and thus got closed.

Edit: On the main menu when it says "hit any key to blah blah" what the hell is the column of blue gas/light coming up and OUT of the black hole?

Fondor_Yards on
    Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Wasn't that the last one? Either that or the one before that. I vote we go back to "Sir Issac Newton is the deadliest son of a bitch in space!" since it got started too soon and thus got closed.

Mass Effect 2: Nah man, Asari look like Turians

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I know it's kinda cheesy already with Renegade Shep, but I'd love for Paragon Shepard to get a nice set of light-blue synthetic eyes as an option. Healing completely back to normal from being a bag of meat doesn't feel very rad.

May be influenced by the delicious irony of the Illusive Man and Paragon Shepard being at odds.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The red glow isn't cheesy, it's badass and awesome.

reVerse on
This discussion has been closed.