As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is the [Droid] you're looking for - $199 with 2-year Contract, hits 11/6

• Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    theSquid wrote: »
    Sooo... how I root Milestone? Can I ask that in this thread?
    Why sure.

gilrain on
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    LaPuzza wrote: »
    gilrain wrote: »
    LaPuzza wrote: »
    I have OCD about the blinking message light, so it is nice to kill email entirely and watch a movie uninterrupted.
    Hehe, funny you mention this. You know how a modern phenomenon is "phantom vibrate"? Where you think you feel your phone vibrate, pretty convincingly, but you check it and nope? I now get phantom blinking, on my Droid. I'll frequently catch it blinking in the corner of my eye (it sits on my desk at work, playing music for me), only to look directly and see that it's not. The illusion is powerful. :P

I thought I was the only one on Earth with phantom vibrate. Thanks for telling me that's a thing.

My wife has a Droid. She keeps her junk email acocunt constantly connected, and her light has been blinking since the day after purchase of the phone. It is driving me slowly insane.

That would drive me batshit crazy. If the light is going off, I'll clear the list of notifications even if I don't intend to read any of them right then.

And, again, funny you mention the phantom vibrate/light. Just now. Just now it happened to me.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My Milestone runs out of battery like crazy. I've yet to get the hang of whether a program is minimised or closed.

theSquid on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I've found the battery life to be a bit better since the recent OTA update. I can usually skirt the battery to about 40% or 50% by the end of the day, depending on use, of course.

Still though, it's an overnight charge for me every day. Kinda just the deal with smartphones.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    JAEF wrote: »
    I figure I'll mention it here since it was a point of disgruntlement earlier, as of yesterday VZW supports and splits messages above 160 and below 1120 characters in order to deliver the entire message. Out of network. That is all.
    Incidentally, it's sort of hilarious that they kind of flubbed this up, still! :P

I turned off Handcent's automatic splitting, recently, since that way messages I send over the limit are displayed as a single message on my phone, which just looks tidy, and VZW splits it for me, yay! However, they still send an automated text every time they (nicely) split the message.

"FREE_VZW_MSG: Messages sent to non-VZW customers with graphics/tones/formatting and/or 160+ characters are sent as plain text in multiple segments."

EVERY FLIPPING TIME! Yes, thank you VZW. I know. I don't need my phone popping up new texts from your robot, interrupting my actual textversation (?), so you can point proudly at your chest like a five-year-old who cleaned his room.

Er, sorry about the rant. It's pretty annoying to me, but I know most people don't send 160+ texts as often. My actual point and question is, is there any way to disable those text alerts? Is there some preference somewhere?

gilrain on
  • Options
    SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I would LOVE it if you could disable those things! They really are annoying. They weren't so bad before, when it made you realize that the end of your message got cut off... but now? Completely unnecessary.

Maybe they'll stop doing it after a while, once they figure out that everyone knows this stuff already.

Spacemilk on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Mm.. unless it's part of the non-solicitation account settings (which I highly doubt that it is) you probably can't turn it off. AFAIK there aren't any settings for those types of default system messages. Score another waste of network resources and people's time for Verizon.

JAEF on
  • Options
    LeoniusLeonius Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Er, sorry about the rant. It's pretty annoying to me, but I know most people don't send 160+ texts as often. My actual point and question is, is there any way to disable those text alerts? Is there some preference somewhere?
    You could get Handcent SMS and set it to automatically split texts over 160 characters before it sends them. Easily my favorite droid app.

Leonius on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Leonius wrote: »
    You could get Handcent SMS and set it to automatically split texts over 160 characters before it sends them. Easily my favorite droid app.
    I turned off Handcent's automatic splitting, recently, since that way messages I send over the limit are displayed as a single message on my phone, which just looks tidy
    Yeah, it's my favorite app, too. I only turned the splitting off to try out VZW's new splitting, and because then Handcent displays long texts as a single text, which just looks nicer. But yeah, I'll turn it back on. I mostly wanted to point out that, hey look, VZW fixed an annoying thing... and somehow still managed to keep it just as annoying! :P

But I actually <3 VZW. No other carrier in my region bothers to offer 3G to my podunk little town, and they've also somehow stayed up even during major natural disasters that had everyone else down. Acting as a communications conduit to all of your AT&T friends during a serious disaster makes you proud of your carrier.

gilrain on
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    gilrain - You should probably send VZW an e-mail along those lines. I bet they'd throw you into a commercial or something.

I'm a big VZW fanboy myself - I've always had good experiences with them, from service to phones. I considered switching to AT&T when I came back from a year in Italy and was due for a new phone (and was tempted by the iPhone), but since I'm on a family plan, it wouldn't have made sense to switch and drag my family over to AT&T. Now that I have the Droid, I'm very glad that I'm still with VZW. Also, I value a physical keyboard much more than I thought I would.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, I switched from ATT to VZW after my car broke down in the middle of the interstate (During rush hour) and all I could get was "NETWORK BUSY TRY AGAIN LATER". Haven't had a problem since.

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So I asked this in the cell phone thread, but I figure this is more Droid-specific. Amazon's having a sale on the Droid, at 109 bucks. Is there any way to buy it without the plan? I want to buy it now and wait for my family plan to expire later this year before I get a new single line-plan.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So I asked this in the cell phone thread, but I figure this is more Droid-specific. Amazon's having a sale on the Droid, at 109 bucks. Is there any way to buy it without the plan? I want to buy it now and wait for my family plan to expire later this year before I get a new single line-plan.

Buying it without a plan would mean you'd be paying the unsubsidized price, which is $559.99. Even adjusting for the $90 discount (assuming Amazon would sell it at the unsubsidized price) you'd be spending $469.99, which I imagine you wouldn't want to be doing.

I wouldn't be surprised if it gets a price drop later this year anyway as new Android phones become available at Verizon.

EDIT: Actually, I found a link to see the price. It's $529.99 without a contract.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Anyone had any problems with the default Google search bar widget?

Specifically, with it getting stuck at the top of the screen after entering in a search, then glitching up further and refusing to accept new input or be deleted, and finally locking up and lagging the whole phone down for a couple seconds as it recovers.

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I just got rid of that thing immediately. Need that space for other shit. I also have a problem with not being able to see my wallpaper, so there's that too.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    That's the first thing I got rid of as well, but I eventually found it to be rather useful (at least until it decided to start sabotaging itself) for searching for contacts/applications/recent history, etc.

Anyone know of any decent widgets? Most of them seem to be overly large and present way too little info for my tightly tuned android screen.

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I keep BatteryLife off on my left home screen so I can quickly glance at a percentage of battery. The icon in the top right of the screen is totally useless. Still is at 2/3 full when, in fact, I'm at half.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Weather Channel small widget

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah I got rid of the search bar too. I mean, there's a dedicated hardware button for it. Plus you can just start typing on the physical keyboard if you want.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    GlitchGlitch Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    Yeah I got rid of the search bar too. I mean, there's a dedicated hardware button for it. Plus you can just start typing on the physical keyboard if you want.

totally this. it's way too easy to just start typing or hit the soft key if you really want to. i rock Beautiful Home there now instead.

i've spent the last two days when i'm not asleep or in class on alldroid.org. now running sholes.info's 1.2 ROM at 1Ghz. anybody else hacking their little pocket robots? :winky:

Glitch on
  • Options
    HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    HooverFan on
    BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    what's so terrible about that?

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm assuming that was regarding the homescreen. Using the same 3 screen we currently have rather then the five screen that came default on the nexus. Also, I am disappointed we don't get active wallpapers.

I'm just kind of annoyed they keep having these different flavors of android based on what device you have. I don't see why they can't just include everything, but have it optimized for Droid. Give people the chance to turn on active wallpapers or something and if it slows it down too much don't use them.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    risumon wrote: »
    I'm assuming that was regarding the homescreen. Using the same 3 screen we currently have rather then the five screen that came default on the nexus. Also, I am disappointed we don't get active wallpapers.

I'm just kind of annoyed they keep having these different flavors of android based on what device you have. I don't see why they can't just include everything, but have it optimized for Droid. Give people the chance to turn on active wallpapers or something and if it slows it down too much don't use them.

Can't you just go to xda developers and basically download that Android for your Droid?

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh nuts. I wanted the Nexus One's app menu. I don't like the pull up drawer because you can try to just touch it but it might interpret it as a "short pull" and not work, and even if it does work you have to wait for it to animate up. And a pull animation is much less helpful than a fade in animation because you can't get your bearings on where to press while it's coming up.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh nuts. I wanted the Nexus One's app menu. I don't like the pull up drawer because you can try to just touch it but it might interpret it as a "short pull" and not work, and even if it does work you have to wait for it to animate up. And a pull animation is much less helpful than a fade in animation because you can't get your bearings on where to press while it's coming up.

Also, at least on the Droid, if you have quite a few apps installed, scrolling through those apps is quite laggy.

Interesting problem happened with mine today, wonder if anyone else has experienced something like it. For some reason, my Droid just stopped being capable of playing audible selection sounds
    • despite the option being enabled,
    • the volume turned up,
    • not in silent mode,
    • a restart,
    • a power off followed by a battery pull.
    Ended up having to wipe user data and start over for it to come back.

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Just announced that 2.1 will be rolled out this week for the Droid... so quick testing on Verizon's end apparently.

Also, the main thing that disappointed me is that there's no Flash in the Browser when that was specifically shown off at CES as coming with 2.1

HooverFan on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Also, at least on the Droid, if you have quite a few apps installed, scrolling through those apps is quite laggy.

Interesting problem happened with mine today, wonder if anyone else has experienced something like it. For some reason, my Droid just stopped being capable of playing audible selection sounds
    • the volume turned up,
    • not in silent mode,
    • a restart,
    Do you use headphones with it? I've had a problem where it will get stuck in "headphones connected" mode even after they are unplugged. But usually a restart fixes that, that is if plugging and unplugging headphones real quick doesn't fix it first.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Well, I'm really disappointed with the apparent lack of active wallpapers on the Droid's 2.1... but then again, as mentioned elsewhere, the only real source of this new info is through one insider's leaked info to Engadget. Granted, I trust Engadget, but if I'm going to be optimistic, I'm going to look for the "well, maybe this isn't 100% accurate" loophole.

But we probably won't get active wallpapers yet. Which makes me mad. Motorola's FB page, which announced that the updates are rolling out this week, also mentions "more information to share on other device upgrades later this week." Does that mean more info on when 2.1 is coming to the Milestone, Devour, etc., or does that mean more info on future Droid updates? I hope that they'll be saying, "Okay, by now, most of you should have 2.1. Expect another upgrade, including active wallpapers and the gallery changes and whatever else, in 2-3 weeks."

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    My headphone jack was terribly staticy. Took it in to Verizon and now I have a fresh Droid. Need to get all my fun stuff reload.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010

• the volume turned up,
    • not in silent mode,
    • a restart,
    Do you use headphones with it? I've had a problem where it will get stuck in "headphones connected" mode even after they are unplugged. But usually a restart fixes that, that is if plugging and unplugging headphones real quick doesn't fix it first.

This relates to another question of mine-
    For anyone with a Droid, what's the default behavior when you're listening to audio, and the headphones are unplugged? Does it vary from application to application?

I could have sworn that it just kept playing in everything (Droid Live Lite, podcasts, etc), but around the same time the audible selection problem happened, I noticed things now either pausing, or in the case of Droid Live Lite, stopping and killing the application.

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah it varies. The default music app stops, as does Pandora. Tunewiki however doesn't.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    citizenMckeecitizenMckee Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Does your Droid ever delete all of your text messages, at seemingly random times? I have tried it with the "delete old messages" box checked on and off, same result either way, and set my limits to 5000, yet even when I am no where near that, they all just poof about once every 3 weeks..... extremely frustrating.

citizenMckee on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    HooverFan on
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    BLAAARGH

in all seriousness though, is 2.1 really that essential?

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    BLAAARGH

in all seriousness though, is 2.1 really that essential?

For those of us that were looking forward to the snappier gui, maybe.

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Alright, maybe the kind folks here at PA would be willing to give me a quick rundown on the Droid. For all my technophilia, phones are just not something I keep up on. My contract with Verizon is up in a couple of months, though, and while I've been planning on picking up a Blackberry Storm 2, I'd be interested in hearing some thoughts on how the two stack up.

-How does the Droid handle email, both Exchange and IMAP? Can it handle syncing other data from Outlook/Exchange such as contacts, calendar, etc? What about nested folders?

-How functional is the Droid as an mp3 player? Do any of you run it through car or home sound systems?

-While this sounds odd, is it possible to squeeze something professional looking out of that UI? I love how clean the BB interface is, and most of the Droid screens just look so messy and chaotic. I realize that it mirrors a PC desktop, but I usually keep mine clear to avoid exactly that type of clutter.

-I know this is a Droid thread, but are there other Android devices on the near horizon you'd recommend keeping an eye on?

Any other thoughts on the two devices would be appreciated, as well as germane arguments for why I should opt for a Droid over BB. I'm looking for something stable with intelligent email handling and long-term support, which is why I was settling on a BB, but I recognize that there's more to phones then just that.

rndmhero on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I can’t speak for how the droid holds up against a BlackBerry, but here you go:
    rndmhero wrote: »
    -How does the Droid handle email, both Exchange and IMAP? Can it handle syncing other data from Outlook/Exchange such as contacts, calendar, etc? What about nested folders?

There are two separate e-mail programs, one is Gmail, the other is just E-mail. When you load E-mail, you’re presented with a username/login prompt, and then a choice between POP3, IMAP, and Exchange. It’s worked on the 2 e-mail addresses I’ve thrown at it, one of which was IMAP, the other exchange.

I don’t use Exchange calendar at all, but it seems to have the ability to sync with one- I can’t say for certain, as I’m pretty sure the exchange calendar it’s syncing with just doesn’t have any events on it. It does, however, pull that [albeit empty] data into the “Corporate Calendar” application that’s also included.
    -How functional is the Droid as an mp3 player? Do any of you run it through car or home sound systems?

I haven’t used my iPod since. The ability to listen to Shoutcast streams, as well as downloading podcasts on the fly are both very compelling reasons. Listening to them while driving is great, and it’s also pretty nice that the phone call audio is also outputted through the headphone jack.
    -While this sounds odd, is it possible to squeeze something professional looking out of that UI? I love how clean the BB interface is, and most of the Droid screens just look so messy and chaotic. I realize that it mirrors a PC desktop, but I usually keep mine clear to avoid exactly that type of clutter.

Not sure what you mean- In my opinion, all of the default apps are clean and well designed. If you’re talking about the home screens, yeah, you can remove their default widgets/icons, etc.
    -I know this is a Droid thread, but are there other Android devices on the near horizon you'd recommend keeping an eye on?

Nexus One, the eventual Nexus Two?

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    If you are looking for a "professional" home screen you might want to check out SlideScreen.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    As far as outlook calender syncing. I just found a program at work to sync my work calender in outlook to my google calender, which syncs to my phone. Works great and lets me do one way syncs, so my personal calendar items don't show up on the work calender.

The bundled music program is alright, I have downloaded TuneWiki and like it a lot better. It pulls in lyrics and other things although sometimes messes up album art even when I thought the file had it.

Haven't dinked with UI too much, but also not sure what you are looking for.

Nexus1 is the next big android coming to verizon. There is also the other moto that Megan Fox pimped during the superbowl, but I believe that is a slower, more social phone.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]