Options

This is the [Droid] you're looking for - $199 with 2-year Contract, hits 11/6

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    There is an app called "Metal Detector" and it works.

How in the ?

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    There is an app called "Metal Detector" and it works.
    How in the ?
    The Droid has a magnetic sensor (magneto-something?) to detect when it's on its media dock. Programmers can access it for other uses, though, and since it detects magnetic fields it can detect ferrous metals.

The more you know!

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    That is awesome/hilarious. I wonder what sort of range it gets. Find some loose change in my couch! :)

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oh by the way, I ended up not being able to get a Droid because of monetary issues. Family stuff, lame. Basically at this point my only option is to go with a free upgrade and not get a data phone. Although I do really want one, the monthly expense is not something I need what with being in college and having a ton of looming debt to deal with.

Hopefully I can find a decent phone, I would kill for a droid eris just minus non-wifi internet. People always ask why I would want a smart phone without a data plan. Well, it's a dang good phone and my campus has wifi everywhere, so why the hell couldn't I just use that.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Then go with T-Mobile? Pretty sure they offer that shit. Plus then you get to be all Nexused up. Awww yeah.

By the way, Eris update starts rolling out tonight to fix a "phone won't wake up from locked screen" issue. Enjoy.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Oh shit. If that is true that would be bad ass. Although I am still on my family plan. For free. They just didn't want to pay the $30 a month extra for the data line. Or even let me pay it.

Either way.

Also isn't the Nexus maybe going to go to Verizon at some point? I heard that a while ago.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Late spring/early summer. And that's official.

JAEF on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I just picked up my first smart phone, the Eris. If I had known a few days ago that verizon would get the nexus, I might have just picked up a crappy stopgap phone, but my current one was dead and I needed something. Smart phones are cool, I'm loving it.

I'm also wondering if there are any good to do list apps out there. That would be a handy feature. Is it possible to browse the marketplace from a computer?

edit: Oh, there's a general android thread. Sorry.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Well this is awesome. I'd dropped the Pre a while ago, but I never heard any word about the early termination fee. There was no notice of it on my account before they removed it, and I never got any emails or letters. Until an email last night from them saying they need to hear from me immediately or I will something something collections.

Awesome.

edit: I just checked and apparently I got one a week ago, but they were both marked as read in my inbox before I even looked at them. So I never noticed. well I hope I can get this taken care of without any huge credit score damages.

Artreus on
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I just got an OTA system update.

I was pretty excited, thinking it was 2.1.

No dice on that. She seems a little quicker after the fact, though. Guess it was just a maintenance update.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Artreus wrote: »
    Well this is awesome. I'd dropped the Pre a while ago, but I never heard any word about the early termination fee. There was no notice of it on my account before they removed it, and I never got any emails or letters. Until an email last night from them saying they need to hear from me immediately or I will something something collections.

Awesome.

edit: I just checked and apparently I got one a week ago, but they were both marked as read in my inbox before I even looked at them. So I never noticed. well I hope I can get this taken care of without any huge credit score damages.

Unless it has moved into third party collections I wouldn't worry about credit reporting issues. Most first party collections don't bother with any of that. And if you just got the notices a week ago I highly doubt it has found it's way into third party already.

As for me I am probably getting a new phone in the next two months. My current phone is a Sprint Mogul. It has been underwhelming interface-wise to say the least but it did seem to do most of what I asked it too. But I really haven't been impressed with Sprint's service and thought about going for the Droid. But I never used the physical keyboard on the Mogul so I doubt I'll have much use for it on anything else. I primarily used my phone for the internet. I would be surprised if I actually used more than 200 mins a month of talking.

So does anyone have an opinion on whether the Droid or Eris have any advantages over one or the other with regards to internet use? Is one faster than the other?

Apostate on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Apostate wrote: »

Awesome.

Unless it has moved into third party collections I wouldn't worry about credit reporting issues. Most first party collections don't bother with any of that. And if you just got the notices a week ago I highly doubt it has found it's way into third party already.

As for me I am probably getting a new phone in the next two months. My current phone is a Sprint Mogul. It has been underwhelming interface-wise to say the least but it did seem to do most of what I asked it too. But I really haven't been impressed with Sprint's service and thought about going for the Droid. But I never used the physical keyboard on the Mogul so I doubt I'll have much use for it on anything else. I primarily used my phone for the internet. I would be surprised if I actually used more than 200 mins a month of talking.

So does anyone have an opinion on whether the Droid or Eris have any advantages over one or the other with regards to internet use? Is one faster than the other?

Droid, iirc, is a faster processor than the Eris.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The droid is the beefier of the two. The Eris is a great phone all around, but the droid does have better hardware, and a bigger screen, hence the higher price.

Also the keyboard is pretty good, wouldn't hurt to use it from time to time.

I ended up having to get an LG enV touch and it is actually a really good phone, and while I would have rather had one of the droids, I am happy with this since it is the best I can get. It does have web browsing but I have a 25 MB limit for 10 amazing dollars a month, so I doubt I will ever use it unless I absolutely have to.

Gonna stick to using my ipod touch on wifi for that.

Artreus on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Any one else have an issue with the head phone jack being temperamental?

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Awesome.

A friend of mine had the Eris and apparently a lot of apps don't work with it. Apparently the Eris has the SenseUI stuff which can mess up a lot of apps. It also apparently means they roll out OS updates slower for the Eris. (this is all hearsay from him) Also yes the Eris has a slower processor and a worse graphics card.

Spacemilk on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Spacemilk wrote: »

Awesome.

A friend of mine had the Eris and apparently a lot of apps don't work with it. Apparently the Eris has the SenseUI stuff which can mess up a lot of apps. It also apparently means they roll out OS updates slower for the Eris. (this is all hearsay from him) Also yes the Eris has a slower processor and a worse graphics card.

Oh yeah, the Eris is running 1.5 or 1.6 isn't it? It hasn't gotten a 2.0 or 2.1 update yet because of the SenseUI. It should soon though because HTC is announcing handsets with 2.1 with SenseUI on them, so I imagine the software is nearly done.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I figure I'll mention it here since it was a point of disgruntlement earlier, as of yesterday VZW supports and splits messages above 160 and below 1120 characters in order to deliver the entire message. Out of network. That is all.

JAEF on
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    JAEF wrote: »
    I figure I'll mention it here since it was a point of disgruntlement earlier, as of yesterday VZW supports and splits messages above 160 and below 1120 characters in order to deliver the entire message. Out of network. That is all.

Seriously? That is awesome. Now I can write essays to my friends.

Melkster on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    JAEF wrote: »
    Sweet, it's about time! Although, since switching to Handcent SMS for my texting, it hasn't been an issue for me anymore. It's nice to know they're doing it properly on their own, now.

gilrain on
  • Options
    TekDragonTekDragon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    So I'm looking to get a Droid in the next few months.

Get one now? Or wait for the next version?

Also is Verizon the best place to get one, or should I look at 3rd party suppliers (heard Dell was having a deal a while back).

TekDragon on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    If your main concern is getting an Android device, and not Droid, then wait a few months as there are supposedly TONS of them waiting to be released this spring and summer. If the Droid as a device and its hardware appeal to you, then get it now so you will be out of your return period when something new and shiny comes out and you will have to deal with what you have. :P

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Droid update to 2.1 is slated for today/tomorrow the 22nd.

Pumped.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Droid update to 2.1 is slated for today/tomorrow the 22nd.

Pumped.

Where did you get that from?

HooverFan on
    BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Should've done my homework a little better. It was never confirmed, but the rumor was everywhere.

Guess we'll find out? (already know the answer to that one: i'm probably wrong.)

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Should've done my homework a little better. It was never confirmed, but the rumor was everywhere.

Guess we'll find out? (already know the answer to that one: i'm probably wrong.)

Yeah, I've been going off that rumor too. I've kept it as a known rumor with nothing confirmed but I've still been anxious for this day just in case it does come out to be true. Like you said, it's probably wrong, but you never know.

Helpless Rock on
    WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Just got my Droid.

Using it now on my laptop as a tether through PDAnet.

What's in the 2.1 update?

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Gah. The 2.1 update never came on the 22nd. But I really want it. Like, right now! I'm hoping it shows up by the end of the month. Firmware updates are so exciting!

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    Gah. The 2.1 update never came on the 22nd. But I really want it. Like, right now! I'm hoping it shows up by the end of the month. Firmware updates are so exciting!
    Like Christmas!!!

Spacemilk on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Fun with GPS.
    Last night I was trying to get directions to Island's Restaurant. So I went to maps, and voice searched for "Island's," it heard "island," and recentered the map on Iceland. I tried enunciating and it heard "islands," this time, but still kept me centered on Iceland. I typed in "island's," and then hit "my location," but it had my location as about 100 miles off the coast of California (I was about 5 miles inland). Rebooted the phone and still had me in the ocean. Finally, I turned off the gps and then turn it back on, and it started running right. By then I had taken the long way around to Island's.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I picked up the Droid Eris on Sunday and I am loving it. I'd had the Blackberry Storm before, so it's nice to finally have a real phone! I can't wait until 2.0 (or 2.1? Don't think they ever confirmed which one) hits for it.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hey folks, I figured I'd be remiss not to share this around:

How to Overclock the Droid to 1 GHz

I'll be trying this tonight, although I only intend to take it to 800 MHz, at which it's apparently pretty stable. (I've heard the CPU was underclocked for greater advertisable battery life, anyway, so although not safe, it's not exactly pushing the envelope.)

Honestly, my Droid is snappy enough for me... but it'll be neat to know it's about as fast as a Nexus One, but with my beloved physical keyboard and better screen. :D

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    An update: I wouldn't recommend this unless you're quite savvy and also comfortable with *nix.

However, I've got it working now. I'm running my Droid at 800 MHz, and it's really very nice. Not a revolutionary difference, but it's noticeably snappier. Similar to the difference between 2.0 and 2.0.1. In particular, booting is a lot faster, not that that matters to people who aren't tweaking things a lot.

So, worthwhile for powerusers for sure. Not so much for the average dude.

gilrain on
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I'm in the market for a new phone, and luckily, my new job is going to foot my monthly bill. It's not a corporate office, but my boss likes to keep us all electronically leashed by cutting us a check for a phone with a data plan.

Few questions:
    1. How good is the Droid with e-mail? Can it handle multiple accounts with both IMAP and POP, and is there any substantial lag from when it's sent to when it's received?
    2. Voice quality? Did Motorola just throw whatever cheapo audio components in there or do calls come through pretty clear?
    3. How's the app store? I hear the Android app store has way more free apps, percentage-wise, compared to the Apple app store, but is there a noticeable difference in quality? By that I'm referring to hearsay from my friends, who state that a paid app's free counterpart is usually much lower in quality.
    4. Hackability? I want to add multitouch and I briefly skimmed past an article about rooting it to enable said feature. I know Android's open source, but does that mean it's easy to mod/hack for the average user?

Sorry if the questions aren't clear.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So I'm in the market for a new phone, and luckily, my new job is going to foot my monthly bill. It's not a corporate office, but my boss likes to keep us all electronically leashed by cutting us a check for a phone with a data plan.
    Always a double-edged sword, yeah. Just gotta rack up those minutes and megabytes to make it worth your while. ;)
    1. How good is the Droid with e-mail? Can it handle multiple accounts with both IMAP and POP, and is there any substantial lag from when it's sent to when it's received?
    I don't use multiple accounts on my phone, so I'll leave this to others. I haven't heard many complaints, though.
    2. Voice quality? Did Motorola just throw whatever cheapo audio components in there or do calls come through pretty clear?
    I've been very impressed with the audio quality in calls. It's easily the best-sounding phone in that regard that I've owned. It's not dramatic, or anything, but it's very clear.
    3. How's the app store? I hear the Android app store has way more free apps, percentage-wise, compared to the Apple app store, but is there a noticeable difference in quality? By that I'm referring to hearsay from my friends, who state that a paid app's free counterpart is usually much lower in quality.
    This is my first smartphone, so I don't have experience with other app stores. My understanding is that it really can't touch Apple's selection, still, especially in a few genres. I've been very pleased, but I've never had an iPhone. :P
    4. Hackability? I want to add multitouch and I briefly skimmed past an article about rooting it to enable said feature. I know Android's open source, but does that mean it's easy to mod/hack for the average user?
    It's (well, Android in general) the most hackable phone available. Easy? That really depends. If you've had *nix experience at all, yeah, very easy. Or, if you haven't but are savvy with computers in general, fairly easy if you can follow instructions. If you just surf the Internet, check email, and aren't really a poweruser, then it'd be tricky and probably inadvisable, but you'd still get by after some frustration.

I would hie ye to a Verizon store and play with it in person. At the end of the day, you're going to be judging it just based on ease of use and general likability in your day-to-day life. You'll probably know right away if it's for you or not.

gilrain on
  • Options
    LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm running 4 email accounts - exchange, google, and 2 hotmail accounts. I have them all set differently - work is set up to push/pull, my junk mail to never check unless I direct it to do so. You get a joint inbox AND seperate inboxes, which makes my Blackberry friends green with envy.

For delivery speed, if I'm sitting logged in at my desk it comes to my desk about 5 seconds earlier than my phone. Using webmail from the road, the phone gets it faster than my netbook.

Best feature? When you close email with a task manager (as opposed to putting it in the background, it's closed. No notices of any kind. I have OCD about the blinking message light, so it is nice to kill email entirely and watch a movie uninterrupted.

Verdect: this is my first smart phone, but it is great for me.

LaPuzza on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    LaPuzza wrote: »
    I have OCD about the blinking message light, so it is nice to kill email entirely and watch a movie uninterrupted.
    Hehe, funny you mention this. You know how a modern phenomenon is "phantom vibrate"? Where you think you feel your phone vibrate, pretty convincingly, but you check it and nope? I now get phantom blinking, on my Droid. I'll frequently catch it blinking in the corner of my eye (it sits on my desk at work, playing music for me), only to look directly and see that it's not. The illusion is powerful. :P

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    gilrain wrote: »
    LaPuzza wrote: »
    I have OCD about the blinking message light, so it is nice to kill email entirely and watch a movie uninterrupted.
    Hehe, funny you mention this. You know how a modern phenomenon is "phantom vibrate"? Where you think you feel your phone vibrate, pretty convincingly, but you check it and nope? I now get phantom blinking, on my Droid. I'll frequently catch it blinking in the corner of my eye (it sits on my desk at work, playing music for me), only to look directly and see that it's not. The illusion is powerful. :P

I thought I was the only one on Earth with phantom vibrate. Thanks for telling me that's a thing.

My wife has a Droid. She keeps her junk email acocunt constantly connected, and her light has been blinking since the day after purchase of the phone. It is driving me slowly insane.

LaPuzza on
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hmm, sounds good. I briefly messed around with my coworker's yesterday, and it seemed very snappy and responsive. If Apple doesn't announce a Verizon iPhone, I'm getting a Droid.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hmm, sounds good. I briefly messed around with my coworker's yesterday, and it seemed very snappy and responsive. If Apple doesn't announce a Verizon iPhone, I'm getting a Droid.

That's where I was. I needed a no-apologies phone, not a toy with a sometimes-phone, so I needed Verizon. If they announced the iphone for verizon today, and offered me a free trade, I'd say no.

LaPuzza on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sooo... how I root Milestone? Can I ask that in this thread?

theSquid on