Options

Educate me on the ways of the Mechwarrior. MW2 Appreciation Inside!

powersspowerss Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
So, I got nostalgic about Mechwarrior 2.

I played it on an old Mac in OS9. My dad helped me patch the game because it kept crashing.

Then I was addicted. The intro movie on YouTube still gives me shudders.

I loved the female cockpit voice. Just pure awesome.

Then, later on, I got the special version with RAVE accelleration and it was like a new game. Beautiful.

Now, I'm on a Macbook in OSX and I can't run OS9 Apps.

BUT, I'm looking to get my Mechwarrior on.

So, what's the latest Mechwarrior game that's like Mechwarrior 2, that'll run in PARALELLS on Mac OS X? Remember, an older version that doesn't requred massive graphics horsepower.

I look to you, PAF!

powerss on

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    MechWarrior 4 was one of my favorite games for a long time. I still had dial up, and multiplayer ran great on it. Loved CTF as well. Everyone would use these big, hulking monolithic Mech's and battle over the flag, I'd get the smallest, strip it down, and slip right through them.

Then my team would provide me a safe return home.

Jesus, we need MW5 on the 360.

EDIT

Speaking of MechWarrior, does anyone happen to know the name of, or even remember, the movie/show they used to play on Sci Fi all the time, where it was live action, but when they went into battle, it was taken from the video games?

I'd love to see if thats up on YouTube or something.

Sheep on
  • Options
    powersspowerss Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Does Mechwarrior 4 have the same Mechs as MW2? Does it have the female voice for the cockpit?

The movie was probably Robojox.

powerss on
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries has a ton of mechs, even moreso with the Mektek fan-expansion. It has a female voice for the cockpit, but not the same one as MW2. Sadly, however, MS and FASA's interest in Battletech seems to be leaning more towards the Mechassault side of things, so a MW5 is rather unlikely at this point.

Robotjox was a movie with stop-motion animation, and didn't have anything to do with video games.

Dartboy on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    I have MW2 on the Sega Saturn. It's awesome.

What is the difference between MechWarrior and MechAssault?

Edit: On a side note, are the MechCommander games still free?
    Edit 2: Yes they are

Einhander on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    powerss wrote: »
    Does Mechwarrior 4 have the same Mechs as MW2? Does it have the female voice for the cockpit?

The movie was probably Robojox.

MW3 and 4 both took place some time after 2 and from a different perspective. 3 and 4 deal have you as a pilot for Inner Sphere factions and not the clans so the mechs are different outside of a few you capture/buy/salvage from someone that did one of the first two. It's more like the roster in MW2: Mercenaries. The standalone expansion MW4: Mercenaries draws a lot of its inspiration from the Mercenaries standalone expansion to MW2 too.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Einhander wrote:
    I have MW2 on the Sega Saturn. It's awesome.

What is the difference between MechWarrior and MechAssault?

A whole bunch, actually. MechWarrior is more of a sim, while Assault is an arcade-style shooter. Heck, the console versions of MechWarrior 2 is actually a quite different game than on the PC -- the full title is actually called "MechWarrior 2: Arcade Combat Edition".

I'd say for the OP to skip MW4 and go straight for MW4 Mercenaries. It's pretty expansive, and harkens back to MW2 Mercenaries, which was fuck-awesome. I'd totally dig a new iteration of the series away from this Inner Sphere nonsense to get back to my bastard Clanner side, but looks like this ain't happening in like ever.

Man, I had a total crush on the voice for the cockpit computer in MW2 for the longest time, you don't even know. Although it was weird that the game actually had two voices though, one's nice and pleasant and the other far more serious and demanding. It's like the mech had a weird split-personality disorder. Or was on its period. Dunno.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries

Best Battletech game ever, hands down.

Henroid on
  • Options
    KNYTEKNYTE Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I was always a bigger fan of Heavy Gear 2.

KNYTE on
    The best defense is a good offense.

"The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms, history shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subjected peoples to carry arms have prepared their own fall"
    - Adolf Hitler, Edict of March 18, 1938.
  • Options
    chomamadogchomamadog Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    MW4, MW4 Mercenaries, and Black Knight Expansion, picked up all 3 in a combo pack for 20 bucks last year at Fry's. Sadly, I only ended up playing it once, maybe twice, but it was a pretty good time with people from the forums. Co-op was pretty good, should this turn into a Game On thread, count me in.

chomamadog on
    OnFriday.png
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Man, what was the cockpit startup script? I used to love and recite that, at appropriate times -- like, when starting a car or whatever.

It was like, "Somthing, online; something else, online; all systems nominal." Anyone remember?

gilrain on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    chomamadog wrote: »
    should this turn into a Game On thread, count me in.

I think it's headed there.

My Madcat's autocannons have been dormant far too long.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    KNYTE wrote: »
    I was always a bigger fan of Heavy Gear 2.

Oh god yes. HG2 is awesome with the sheer amount of customizability in the gears. Plus it runs better on XP than MW2. "Welcome to Gommorah, asscrack of the universe."
    An interesting tidbit is that the space missions in HG2 exist solely as a test for a potential Jovian Chronicles game (that never panned out).

gilrain wrote: »
    Man, what was the cockpit startup script? I used to love and recite that, at appropriate times -- like, when starting a car or whatever.

It was like, "Somthing, online; something else, online; all systems nominal." Anyone remember?

"Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All systems nominal." *bleeeeep boop!*

Dartboy on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Dartboy wrote: »

"Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All systems nominal." *bleeeeep boop!*
    I came.

I need to get that as an mp3 and use it on my cell phone, or something.

gilrain on
  • Options
    AcidCatAcidCat Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    That's funny, I was just thinking about this game yesterday, getting all nostalgic. Mech 2 was the game that made me want to buy my first PC, I did and had a great time with it. I haven't played a MechWarrior game except for MechAssault since ... maybe I should check out Mech 4 Mercs .. not really playing anything at the moment anyway.

AcidCat on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    M2 Mercenaries was a can of awseome, baked in a pie, topped with awsome crunch ice cream and awesome cream.

Never have I cared about headshots more than in that game. I would constantly restart missions because my salvage wasn't quite good enough for my tastes. Sigh. Thems were the days.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I love this game dearly, but the fact that no remake/mod/anything exists that will update the game breaks my heart every time I think about it.

I've tried getting it to work on several occasions, but it just never will 100%. I can't believe there are a million mods for DOOM and whatever, but none for MW 2 :(

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Cherrn wrote: »
    I love this game dearly, but the fact that no remake/mod/anything exists that will update the game breaks my heart every time I think about it.

I've tried getting it to work on several occasions, but it just never will 100%. I can't believe there are a million mods for DOOM and whatever, but none for MW 2 :(

Doom's source code was released years ago, which is probably why there are so many source ports for it compared to MW2.

Einhander on
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    We should all definitely play Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries :V

Lemming on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Lemming wrote: »
    We should all definitely play Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries :V

Before leaving for work this morning I left the latest MekPak, Co-Op, and MW4 patch uploading to my server (just under 400 megs in total). I'll post the link later today when I can confirm it working.

chomamadog on
    OnFriday.png
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    g...g...g...game on?

I'll need to pick up another copy of MW4. I lost my cd's a long time ago.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    VestyVesty Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Sadly, however, MS and FASA's interest in Battletech seems to be leaning more towards the Mechassault side of things, so a MW5 is rather unlikely at this point.

on the 1Up Yours podcast a few weeks ago they had a guy from FASA on, and he talked about how there's a push within the company to do Mechwarrior 5. And from the jist of it they want to do get away from arcadey MA (and you could argue the MW4 games) and go back to realism.

Vesty on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Vesty wrote: »
    Sadly, however, MS and FASA's interest in Battletech seems to be leaning more towards the Mechassault side of things, so a MW5 is rather unlikely at this point.

on the 1Up Yours podcast a few weeks ago they had a guy from FASA on, and he talked about how there's a push within the company to do Mechwarrior 5. And from the jist of it they want to do get away from arcadey MA (and you could argue the MW4 games) and go back to realism.
    I'd kill for a return to the Mechwarrior 2 gameplay. You really had to work for your victories in that one.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I thought MW4: Mercenaries was a good blend of action/sim.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Way too easy to minmax or boat it though.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Can I get some love for the original Mech Warrior?

I mean that thing fit on a floppy. Hardcore indeed.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Aridhol wrote: »
    I thought MW4: Mercenaries was a good blend of action/sim.
    It was good but I always felt that the graphic style was a bit off. It might sound weird but I always felt that Mechwarrior 2&3 felt a bit more realistic in that aspect while 4 was a bit more "cartoony". Not sure if that explanation makes any sense though :P

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Gooey wrote: »
    g...g...g...game on?

I'll need to pick up another copy of MW4. I lost my cd's a long time ago.

I'm fairly sure I could count in a buddy of mine that played last time there was a Game-On thread. Can we get a total of 4-6 people? I'm counting it at 3 as of now.

chomamadog on
    OnFriday.png
  • Options
    freshKfreshK Registered User new member
    edited April 2007
    I failed out of high-school because of MW2: Mercenaries. I used to do the little "reactor online, sensors online..." thing when I was turning my car on too.

I've never really touched my copy of MW4, but I didn't know there was a Mercenaries expac for it. Digging through the really nasty videogame graveyard that is my closet has never been more exciting.:zzz:

freshK on
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I loved all the mechwarrior games from MW2 on. I just love big slow walking tanks in general. The nice thing is that my old computer is loaded up with this game and the settings are pretty much maxed out...and it's hooked up to our 61'' TV. When the wife isn't around, load that thing up and crank the volume. You almost feel like you're really there.
    I would probably be willing to actually do major bodily harm to others for a MW5.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    PipboyPipboy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I second the bodily harm remark. I adore the Merc theme especially. The only thing more satisfying than watching your machine guns chew through the limbs of a 60 ton walking weapons platform is the warm, fuzzy feeling you get inside when you think of how much of it you'll be able to salvage.

Pipboy on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    http://ghettogamers.net/mwcoop/

I'm home from work, and everything checks out ok.

chomamadog on
    OnFriday.png
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Threepio wrote: »
    Can I get some love for the original Mech Warrior?

I mean that thing fit on a floppy. Hardcore indeed.

That game was pretty awesome at the time. I remember getting a fast mech with jump jets and sniping off heavy mech legs as point blank range. Good salvage and good times.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    There's a new mekpak update, from 3.02a to 3.02b here

Lemming on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Lemming wrote: »
    There's a new mekpak update, from 3.02a to 3.02b here

It's been a while :-). I recall it being hell and high water to find this thing though. I remember just looping from website to website, and ultimately it was a forumer (Tiemler) who ended up uploading it. I think the mekpak site was renovating at the time. Thanks though, I'll be sure to throw it up asap.

Edit: It's up.

chomamadog on
    OnFriday.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007

Yeah, I was just about to mention this. When I heard that, instant hard-on.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Yeah, I was just about to mention this. When I heard that, instant hard-on.
    I don't dare to hope for this. With my luck we'll get a Shadowrun remake for MechWarrior as well, considering how well FASA has been treating their IP's lately.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007

I came.

I have it as my XP startup sound.

Here you go.

http://www.noblefusion.com/graphics/mw/nominal.wav

Snake Gandhi on
  • Options
    MalachMalach Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Oh god...the wmv...oh god you guys. MW2 was one of the first PC games I think I ever played. And it was rad. And it was challenging. And I loved my Timberwolf so much. And then I found the online community and learned how much I sucked in comparison to some people. After some practice online I got a little better then average, but my clan leader, jesus. This was back when mastering online play meant using your first couple laser shots to figure out the delay on our dial-up connections. And my fucking guild leader would just dance around my shots. Watching him dodge a full LRM volley at mid-range... god I loved that game.
    And then when I finally went back to the single player, holy crap that was awesome. Just tore through the fucking thing. Knew how to build a an awesome mech, knew how to tear people up. I played Mercs too, which was also awesome, the management aspect was fuckin' wonderful, but nothing ever captured the feeling of starting out in Clan training and working my way up to being y'know good. That game was probably the one that truly got me into games, and will prolly be one of my favorite PC games of all time. Jesus. I want MW:5, I want it to be like Mercs, I want it to make me feel like MW2, and if it was on my 360, that'd be swell. Because I am poor and my PC prolly won't run it. Also someone should give me a bad ass joystick to use with it on 360.

Now...now I'm going to spend some time listening to the cockpit computer over and over.

Malach on
    Lynch2028.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007

I came.

I have it as my XP startup sound.

Here you go.

http://www.noblefusion.com/graphics/mw/nominal.wav
    You are a gentleman and a scholar.

gilrain on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Ohhhh shit. Talk about nostalgia.

I'm trying to remember--if your mech overheated and did an emergency shutdown, would that clip play again when you restarted?

Captain K on