As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

State and Local [Politics] 2010

SliderSlider Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
States have been in session for a few months now and their general silly goosiness has prompted my ire.

Post your state Legislature's poor decisions for 2010. I'll start.

OLYMPIA, Wash. – The state Senate voted late Monday to hand its tuition-setting authority over to the leaders of the three largest universities.

http://www.theolympian.com/breakingnews/story/1139213.html

Slider on

• Options
    edited February 2010
    Here's one for those of you who live in Connecticut. Students fined for swearing.

Slider on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm slightly in favor of the last one or at least a variation of it. The case they based it on is pretty messed up.

Slider on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm currently in BC. We win.

Robman on
  • Options
    GeorgeWashingtonPlunkittGeorgeWashingtonPlunkitt Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So California's having a bit of a scrap over the vacant Lieutenant Governor's spot. Arnold nominated State Senator Abel Maldonado, who is what passes for a moderate among California Republicans. More importantly, he represents a Democratic leaning central coast district, which the Democrats have to win if they want to get the 2/3 supermajority required to do basic governing in California (thanks Prop 13). Given that the LG is a relatively weak position, just serving on a few boards basically, it would be a no-brainer for Democrats in the legislature to confirm him, right?

Wrong.

Although his colleagues in the Senate voted to confirm him, the Assembly only mustered a plurality in favor of him. However, a majority did not vote to reject him, which led the Governator to say that he was going swear him in anyways. He backed down on that threat, and resubmitted the nomination, so now hopefully whoever sat the confirmation vote out will vote to confirm.

GeorgeWashingtonPlunkitt on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Prediction: even if CA Dems get a 2/3 majority in the state Senate, they still won't be able to do anything, because they'll have that majority with guys like Lieberman and Bayh.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Prediction: even if CA Dems get a 2/3 majority in the state Senate, they still won't be able to do anything, because they'll have that majority with guys like Lieberman and Bayh.
    Nah, the California legislature is extremely polarized.
    npat_boxplot_states_parties_mcmc.png

And the person who would replace Maldonado is a solid liberal. Of course, they would still have to pick up another Senate seat this year, a 2/3 majority in the Assembly, and still deal with the myriad of other problems with California's government. It would be insane to pass this opportunity up though.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Thanatos on
  • Options
    SosSos Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I was going to write about how Texas state legislature fucked up this year, but then I realized it's all a good thing.

They only come together every other year for 6 months.

Sos on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Slider on
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Slider wrote: »

Dare I ask why specifically in parks? Was there like a smoke fog when you go take a walk in the park in Seattle?

zeeny on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    zeeny wrote: »
    Dare I ask why specifically in parks? Was there like a smoke fog when you go take a walk in the park in Seattle?
    They're trying to drive homeless people out of the parks.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »

I can't say if you're serious, so sorry if I'm missing some sarcasm, but surely there must be a more effective way to do it? Or do they expect homeless people to say "Fuck it, we can't smoke here so we need to move, guys."

zeeny on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sos wrote: »
    I was going to write about how Texas state legislature fucked up this year, but then I realized it's all a good thing.

They only come together every other year for 6 months.

I'd say it wasn't too bad relative to the majority of other state legislative sessions last year.

But then,
    Perry, other Texas leaders sue EPA over finding on greenhouse gases

I wouldn't bat an eye if it was a suit over specific regulations that were claimed to be too onerous, but the suit is about the finding that greenhouse gases pose a danger. Stupid IPCC, all having a few mistakes that are ripe to be blown out of proportion.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    ThaumaturgistThaumaturgist Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Thaumaturgist on
    XBL: Abiff PSN: Thaumaturgist
    http://www.suboptimist.com
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Here's one for those of you who live in Connecticut. Students fined for swearing.

Wait wait, the girl towards the end... "it's kind of ok because you can't say that in public anyway."

Are you fucking kidding me?

I was going to post about Vermont, but I can't find a whole lot that we're doing... the only thing I see so far is a new grant program for firing ranges in the state.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I can't say if you're serious, so sorry if I'm missing some sarcasm, but surely there must be a more effective way to do it? Or do they expect homeless people to say "Fuck it, we can't smoke here so we need to move, guys."
    You need to read between the lines to catch what, exactly, they're doing:
    Violators could be banned from city parks for up to a year.
    So, they catch them smoking, ban them, then just enforce the ban.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    moniker on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    moniker wrote: »
    I support this man's efforts 100%. I think South Carolina should totally get rid of all of their dirty money by giving it to those damn yankees who deserve to be saddled with it, and get going with their own currency.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Olympia Mayor Pro Tem, Joe Hyer, was just about to be sworn in as County Treasurer until....woops.

Slider on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    where did all these crazy people come from in the past year? or did they just get more vocal?

Barcardi on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Barcardi wrote: »
    where did all these crazy people come from in the past year? or did they just get more vocal?

Neither, you just didn't bother to pay attention before. Something close to 80% of all proposed Federal legislation dies in committee. And that's Congress, the more watched level of government so people are somewhat less prone to doing stupid things that will potentially harm them. State and Local governments get more batshit insane since their power/influence is less pronounced.
    Kissinger wrote:
    Academic politics are so vicious precisely because the stakes are so small.

moniker on
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

And the person who would replace Maldonado is a solid liberal. Of course, they would still have to pick up another Senate seat this year, a 2/3 majority in the Assembly, and still deal with the myriad of other problems with California's government. It would be insane to pass this opportunity up though.

What are the chances of this happening?

I haven't been paying attention to State Congress, but you're making this sound at least plausible, which would be pretty awesome.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Arizona has sold off all of its state buildings. And is now renting them back. I'd be LOL worthy if it wasn't so pathetic.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Drakeon wrote: »

I haven't been paying attention to State Congress, but you're making this sound at least plausible, which would be pretty awesome.

It's very close to impossible.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    Drakeon wrote: »

It's very close to impossible.

Thats about what I thought :(

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    They'll probably be able to pick up that second seat in the Senate. The assembly is probably less likely (depending on who's term-limited, I haven't really checked), but still possible.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Arizona has sold off all of its state buildings. And is now renting them back. I'd be LOL worthy if it wasn't so pathetic.

No fucking way.

RedTide on
    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    RedTide wrote: »

No fucking way.

Yeah, they did that a few months (a year?) ago in order to make a quick buck.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    SkulkrakenSkulkraken Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hey, would it be cool to talk about Guam's politics in here?

DEIS for Guam Build-Up

Basically, Japan's pissed off enough at the US military to want 8,000 Marines moved out of Okinawa. My island's been picked as the place to house them...and now there's a whole bunch of hullabaloo that's difficult for me to pick through. That on top of rumblings that the US base in Futenma is being planned for transfer here, too.

In addition to the move of the Marines (expected to essentially double the current population by 2014), 2.5 million square feet of coral is to be dredged up to create a new wharf for a nuclear aircraft carrier, and a new missile defense base will be constructed here. ...No word on whether all that increased presence will result in Guamanians actually being able to vote for President or have a voting representative in Congress.

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Skulkraken wrote: »

DEIS for Guam Build-Up

Basically, Japan's pissed off enough at the US military to want 8,000 Marines moved out of Okinawa. My island's been picked as the place to house them...and now there's a whole bunch of hullabaloo that's difficult for me to pick through. That on top of rumblings that the US base in Futenma is being planned for transfer here, too.

In addition to the move of the Marines (expected to essentially double the current population by 2014), 2.5 million square feet of coral is to be dredged up to create a new wharf for a nuclear aircraft carrier, and a new missile defense base will be constructed here. ...No word on whether all that increased presence will result in Guamanians actually being able to vote for President or have a voting representative in Congress.
    I was under the impression that statehood wasn't a popular idea in Guam...?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

DEIS for Guam Build-Up

You're right. It isn't, which makes the situation very odd, and all the more interesting to me.

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

DEIS for Guam Build-Up

You're right. It isn't, which makes the situation very odd, and all the more interesting to me.
    If the people of Guam wanted statehood, they could have risen up and demanded it (and all the taxes and responsibilities that go along with it), and we would have welcomed them.

It's a bit late to bitch about the free ride at this point, though.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »

No fucking way.

I suddenly feel better about the state government of New Jersey.

RedTide on
    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    edited February 2010

DEIS for Guam Build-Up

If the people of Guam wanted statehood, they could have risen up and demanded it (and all the taxes and responsibilities that go along with it), and we would have welcomed them.

...Alright. I guess it's not okay for me to talk about this stuff here, then. Carry on.

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    ColanutColanut Siedge WealdRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Just a small silly one. Some in New Mexico wanted to add a food tax back on to certain foods (mostly junk foods), but it was called the tortilla tax because white flower tortillas were included. Not a bright idea. It was defeated though.

Colanut on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

DEIS for Guam Build-Up

...Alright. I guess it's not okay for me to talk about this stuff here, then. Carry on.

I think that most of us that live in the states feel that the territories can't bitch about not having votes in Congress or being able to vote for President when they don't have to pay federal taxes. If you want a say in federal elections, you've got to pay for it like the rest of us do.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited February 2010

DEIS for Guam Build-Up

It's fine to talk about it, I'm just saying it would be kind of hypocritical for the people of Guam to ride the economic bonanza that is being a U.S. territory for all these decades, then bitch about having marines stationed on the island with no representation when it comes up.

I mean, I am talking about it; I'm just saying I don't see a problem with it.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    wwtMask wrote: »
    I think that most of us that live in the states feel that the territories can't bitch about not having votes in Congress or being able to vote for President when they don't have to pay federal taxes. If you want a say in federal elections, you've got to pay for it like the rest of us do.
    Right, especially considering that if there were a substantial movement in any of the territories to become a state, I can't imagine that we wouldn't allow it.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »

No fucking way.

So, they definitely rented the same ones back? They didn't lease space in new buildings?

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1