Options

Thanks, [chat]

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Yes, but Samuel L. Jackson is, in fact, Nick Motherfuckin' Fury.

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Leitner wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    I hear you pony, Nathan Fillion is the new Bruce Campbell.

He seems to be a really stand up bloke. That goes a long way with people.

why do i know nothing about bruce campbell

i do not know what this statement means

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ultimates based the look of Nick Fury on Sam Jackson, which is one of many reasons why Ultimates was awesome

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Nostregar wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    you know i understand when like comic book nerds are like

"oh man if they made a movie of this it should star <well-known sci-fi actor, possibly from Firefly> and it would be awesome"

and it's like

no it wouldn't, you fuckin load

no matter what they did they'd have to change things because that's how adaptations work and it's a giant crap shoot whether you approve or whether you will immediately log on to Aint It Cool and bitch about how it's ruined forever and how "Hollywood just doesn't get it"

so why do you even want it made into a movie?

because you want affirmation of your dorky interest, is why.

Some comic movies are, in fact, very good.

I liked the Iron Man movie a lot.

oh, totally

but that was in spite of nerdy attitudes on the subject, not because of them

when Robert Downey Jr. was announced as Tony Stark I remember seeing the internet freak out because he had never done anything close to how people perceived Tony Stark should be and they were screaming about why they didn't cast someone from Farscape or some shit.

ugh

Pony on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    Podly wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    We "exist" at a scale of metaphysics. However, metaphysics was created. We can move past it. QM, I think, will help give us a paradigm to understand how to move past it.

i have no idea what this means.

i am saying that regardless of whether things like the forward-flow of time, causality, or position/ velocity precision exist in the world of quantum particles, they absolutely do exist at the scales where we exist.

They do exist, but not necessarily so. At one time it was probably useful to believe that the earth was flat. There is no definitive reason, not based on metaphysics, why these must be the case. If they are not based on the physical world, whence the jump to the human-scale world, and whence the jump to the macro-scale of relativity? For instance, the future might be completely determined, and the past open to re-appropriation and possibility. Heidegger posited this, and it very well might be the case, for humans.

the places where quantum laws end up becoming the laws we understand at our scales are well-understood. in fact, an understanding of this transition was a prerequisite to the quantum laws in the first place.

the one-word answer is thermodynamics, the slightly longer answer is "around the scale of thousands of atoms"

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    How many people would throw heavy things at me if I said I like the Xmen movies

all of them

If you liked X3 I'm curious how you manage to type so well when you're obviously deaf, mute, blind and suffering from extreme head trauma

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    and now the world can't unsee Downey as Stark

Arch on
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

all of them

Its not possible to like X-Men 3 so you're clearly lying.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Ultimates based the look of Nick Fury on Sam Jackson, which is one of many reasons why Ultimates was awesome

It's even beyond based they got a likeness permission and everything

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Nick Fury looks like Samuel L. Jackson in Ultimates because they asked Sam Jackson for the right to use his likeness for the character and Jackson said okay on the condition that if a movie comes about for Nick Fury, he gets to play him.

Jackson is a genius.

Pony on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I wish there were some good pop philosophy. All that I know about math and science has more or less come from pop non-fiction, and I'd like to think that I have at least a decent understanding of some of the big themes. Pop philosophy tends to be utter turd. It's extremely inconvenient, because I always have friends or people at the bar being like "oh, what's a book that you'd recommend" and I'm like "ahhhhhhh start with plato and work your way down?" It sucks. I wish I had a better answer, but Sophie's World and On Bullshit are not that fucking answer.

i feel like this is something i would enjoy writing.

but i'd have to be better at philosophy first.

the "for beginners" series is surprisingly good.

Yes, as is "a very short introduction to..." However, they never do a good job of conveying the thematic elements of the topic. I recently read a book on Gödel, and it both explained his incompleteness theorem in a general audience way AND told you why this was important. The latter, in my opinion, is much more important.

Pods in one paragraph explain Kierkegaard to me

annnnnnnnd Go!

No very familar with SK. But basically

So Kierkegaard hated Hegel and the other German Idealists, who were basically saying that everything that constitutes reality is actually completely conceptual. They over-intellectualized everything and marginalized things like emotions and hopes and experience. Kierkegaard wanted to create a human philosophy that is sort of a coming of age novel. You have a set of beliefs which you were given. You have to experience whether or not they are true. Certain ones you come to believe are true, and yet you cannot know why. This induces dread. Dread, or fear itself, is undirected -- it has no object. Anxiety is met with faith -- we have faith that though our existence is absurd, we can hold on to our beliefs. This allows us to progress to stronger, more coherent belief systems. Weathering the storm makes your core beliefs stronger, because they were able to withstand critique and self-doubt and revealed themselves as more true than other beliefs.

Note: my exposure to Kierkegaard is pretty much solely through research on Heidegger, so I ignored much of his stuff on Irony and the Absurd and stuff.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    scientists love to complain about how they can't explain science to people without them getting it wrong while simultaneously complaining about how no one in this country likes science

yeah it is a problem.

i think the bigger problem is that there are few really good popularizers of science, and a lot of shitty charlatans. Sagan and Feynman were great popularizers, whereas stuff from those dudes who do like the Tao of Quantum or whatever other new age bullshit tends to be the stuff that i hear around.

QM was fucking hard to learn and understand. i still only have a pretty limited understanding of it overall, and this was after studying it in detail for years. so it's annoying when i hear it invoked inappropriately to make some unrelated point.

i mean you study history, right eddy? don't you get annoyed when people get historical facts and interpretation flat-out wrong but use it as evidence to back up some equally wrong point?

oh certainly, especially with the idea of a 'traditional marriage' and some golden age in american history etc. etc.

although I think it's nearly impossible to make actual historical discourse interesting to the masses.

but robert kulwrich summed it up nicely I thought:

http://blogs.wnyc.org/radiolab/2008/07/29/tell-me-a-story/

I almost want to say a half-understanding of science is better than none at all, because the radical and often sensational ideas presented in half understanding can get people interested in actually studying science.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

all of them

I'd throw large objects at you for liking the third. The other two I'd basically agree with you. I didn't have much of a problem with Singer not doing the third, more so the story was so fucking botched from the source as far as the phoenix and the whole
    killing Scott and the Professor off at the beginning
    that it just ruined it for me. The one shining light out of it though. Kelsey Grammar. In my mind, that man is and shall always be Hank McCoy.

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Elldren wrote: »
    I hate it when people bring up the whole flat earth thing.

"The Earth is flat" was never mainstream science.

ever

At best "The Earth is curved" competed with "The Earth is a sphere" during the 2nd and 1st millenniums BCE as the dominant theory until "The Earth is a sphere" was proven mathematically.

I love you

this really annoys me too

I mean, why the fuck would anyone think the earth was flat

you can see it isn't with the naked eye

jesus

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    NostregarNostregar Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    you know i understand when like comic book nerds are like

"oh man if they made a movie of this it should star <well-known sci-fi actor, possibly from Firefly> and it would be awesome"

and it's like

no it wouldn't, you fuckin load

no matter what they did they'd have to change things because that's how adaptations work and it's a giant crap shoot whether you approve or whether you will immediately log on to Aint It Cool and bitch about how it's ruined forever and how "Hollywood just doesn't get it"

so why do you even want it made into a movie?

because you want affirmation of your dorky interest, is why.

Some comic movies are, in fact, very good.

I liked the Iron Man movie a lot.

oh, totally

but that was in spite of nerdy attitudes on the subject, not because of them

when Robert Downey Jr. was announced as Tony Stark I remember seeing the internet freak out because he had never done anything close to how people perceived Tony Stark should be and they were screaming about why they didn't cast someone from Farscape or some shit.

ugh

Ok.

It just seemed like you were saying comic movies, by their nature, could not be good.

Which is simply not the case.

Nostregar on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    here are the three things you need to make a good superhero movie

-great action scenes
    -genuinely funny writing
    -impressive special effects

here's what you don't need

-angst
    -serious storylines
    -people crying

this is because superheroes are inherently ridiculous, and one should embrace that

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I posit that the plot of X-3 is no less stupid than other things done to X men

Like house of M

Arch on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I wish there were some good pop philosophy. All that I know about math and science has more or less come from pop non-fiction, and I'd like to think that I have at least a decent understanding of some of the big themes. Pop philosophy tends to be utter turd. It's extremely inconvenient, because I always have friends or people at the bar being like "oh, what's a book that you'd recommend" and I'm like "ahhhhhhh start with plato and work your way down?" It sucks. I wish I had a better answer, but Sophie's World and On Bullshit are not that fucking answer.

i feel like this is something i would enjoy writing.

but i'd have to be better at philosophy first.

the "for beginners" series is surprisingly good.

Yes, as is "a very short introduction to..." However, they never do a good job of conveying the thematic elements of the topic. I recently read a book on Gödel, and it both explained his incompleteness theorem in a general audience way AND told you why this was important. The latter, in my opinion, is much more important.

Pods in one paragraph explain Kierkegaard to me

annnnnnnnd Go!

No very familar with SK. But basically

So Kierkegaard hated Hegel and the other German Idealists, who were basically saying that everything that constitutes reality is actually completely conceptual. They over-intellectualized everything and marginalized things like emotions and hopes and experience. Kierkegaard wanted to create a human philosophy that is sort of a coming of age novel. You have a set of beliefs which you were given. You have to experience whether or not they are true. Certain ones you come to believe are true, and yet you cannot know why. This induces dread. Dread, or fear itself, is undirected -- it has no object. Anxiety is met with faith -- we have faith that though our existence is absurd, we can hold on to our beliefs. This allows us to progress to stronger, more coherent belief systems. Weathering the storm makes your core beliefs stronger, because they were able to withstand critique and self-doubt and revealed themselves as more true than other beliefs.

Note: my exposure to Kierkegaard is pretty much solely through research on Heidegger, so I ignored much of his stuff on Irony and the Absurd and stuff.

ok so then why is that kate beaton comic so funny to me

Arch on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    and let us not forget

danielcraigisnotbond.com

nerd entitlement is hilarious and pathetic and awful

Pony on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    Gonmun wrote: »
    Ryadic wrote: »

Not into a serious movie. Keep it lighthearted and true to it's source and still animated.

Can't be done man, super heroes have to all be "SUPER SERIOUS!" I mean look at the propsed spiderman reboot and weep.

Ugh...don't remind me. Marvel's already got success with Iron Man. I'm really hoping Thor and Cap are good because that would hopefully translate into a really good Avengers movie. They should just try and stick to one group or story set for a bit and then move to another instead of trying to hit a bunch all at once.

the avengers are not an interesting property

they are just a bunch of superheroes without much of a theme or premise

to be honest, they are going to have to really work to keep captain america and thor from being boring fan-service bullshit

they will almost certainly suck unless the writers and directors can find some kind of interesting hook

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010

-great action scenes
    -genuinely funny writing

-angst
    -serious storylines
    -people crying

this is because superheroes are inherently ridiculous, and one should embrace that

eh, Batman begins showed that you can do the latter provided you have the least Super of Superheroes and one of the best directors currently working

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

all of them

I'd throw large objects at you for liking the third. The other two I'd basically agree with you. I didn't have much of a problem with Singer not doing the third, more so the story was so fucking botched from the source as far as the phoenix and the whole
    that it just ruined it for me. The one shining light out of it though. Kelsey Grammar. In my mind, that man is and shall always be Hank McCoy.

I feel pretty "meh" about the X-Men movies.

They weren't great, but they weren't bad.

However, being a huge Deadpool fan, Wolverine: Origins made me rage.

Nostregar on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Will plus the new Hulk was lousy

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    and now the world can't unsee Downey as Stark

That's because Robert Downy Jr. is an excellent actor.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited March 2010

all of them

Gonmun in reference to Phoenix, I would say that the source for Phoenix is so silly that what they "did to it" is just as ludicrous. Maybe even less so

Spider-Phoenix anyone?

Arch on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I had some really good Kierkegaard notes somewhere because one of my professors had a boner for him but I can not fucking find that god damn binder.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    the places where quantum laws end up becoming the laws we understand at our scales are well-understood. in fact, an understanding of this transition was a prerequisite to the quantum laws in the first place.

the one-word answer is thermodynamics, the slightly longer answer is "around the scale of thousands of atoms"

How? How do these non-physical laws "bind fast" the physical world and create a fundamentally different layer of reality?

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    and let us not forget

danielcraigisnotbond.com

He is the second best bond and the first best is too old so that is silly.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Let's not forget Daredevil.

Because that was something else.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    An interesting Captain America movie would have to be entirely set in World War II and about how he was as much propaganda as anything

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

all of them

I feel pretty "meh" about the X-Men movies.

They weren't great, but they weren't bad.

However, being a huge Deadpool fan, Wolverine: Origins made me rage.

Well yeah. But also it was just a shitty movie, even disregarding all the continuity bullcrap

Arch on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Choco and I have been having an argument for like two months about whether Pierce Brosnand as Bond or Daniel Craig is hotter.

It's obviously Craig. Brosnand looks like your uncle who is tired because he moved into a new tax bracket and he likes to drink too much wine and complain about welfare queens at Christmas while everyone uncomfortably ignores him.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Pony sometimes you should just not fight people on issues. It taxes your sanity.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Anyway, I'm going to go play Darksiders. Bye!!!!!!!

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    and let us not forget

danielcraigisnotbond.com

Ahahahahahaha
    James Bond didn't need a reboot, but this website did. Its origins were as a site arguing that Pierce Brosnan should be kept on as Bond and calling for a boycott of Casino Royale. However, the consensus on our forum was that this no longer reflected our aims as an online community. This site has acquired a new function. Casino Royale created a sort of herd mentality on other Bond fansites. Those critical of the current orthodoxy on Craig have been made to feel unwelcome on the traditional James Bond forums and most have either left, had their account deleted, or stopped posting altogether. The Daniel Craig is not Bond forum provides a haven where people are free to debate the current direction of the Bond franchise in a democratic fashion.

japan on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    Let's not forget Daredevil.

Because that was something else.

Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

-great action scenes
    -genuinely funny writing

-angst
    -serious storylines
    -people crying

this is because *many popular* superheroes are inherently ridiculous, and one should embrace that

fixed.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010

How? How do these non-physical laws "bind fast" the physical world and create a fundamentally different layer of reality?

Because quantum laws don't refer to the physical world? No matter how much we want them to?

Did I get this wrong Will?

Arch on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ryadic wrote: »

Not into a serious movie. Keep it lighthearted and true to it's source and still animated.

Can't be done man, super heroes have to all be "SUPER SERIOUS!" I mean look at the propsed spiderman reboot and weep.

Ugh...don't remind me. Marvel's already got success with Iron Man. I'm really hoping Thor and Cap are good because that would hopefully translate into a really good Avengers movie. They should just try and stick to one group or story set for a bit and then move to another instead of trying to hit a bunch all at once.

the avengers are not an interesting property

they are just a bunch of superheroes without much of a theme or premise

to be honest, they are going to have to really work to keep captain america and thor from being boring fan-service bullshit

they will almost certainly suck unless the writers and directors can find some kind of interesting hook

I feel like the characters in the Avengers have a lot of potential and are just written badly.

I really like Captain America, but the whole Captain America: Reborn series was a huge "what the fuck" as far as writing goes.

Nostregar on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Choco and I have been having an argument for like two months about whether Pierce Brosnand as Bond or Daniel Craig is hotter.

It's obviously Craig. Brosnand looks like your uncle who is tired because he moved into a new tax bracket and he likes to drink too much wine and complain about welfare queens at Christmas while everyone uncomfortably ignores him.

tell choco I say he is dumb and wrong

Senjutsu on
This discussion has been closed.