As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Thanks, [chat]

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I prefer Brosnor to Brosnand.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Running some quick errands.

If anyone gives me a physics lecture, let me know when I get back

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    There's been like. . three major retcons in the DC universe.

Marvel. Well aside from Brand New Day they were doing just fine.

Image Comics is tearing shit up with Robert Kirkman.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I guess I'll lean towards Craig then.

But why are they calling the M actress "James Judi Dench" in that article? Have... have I missed an important factoid about "her"?

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    I hear you pony, Nathan Fillion is the new Bruce Campbell.

pretty much yeah.

i remember laughing pretty hard during one of the first few issues of The Ultimates (re-make of the Avengers) and the Ultimates team themselves were doing fantasy casting of who would play them in a movie about them and they were using all well-known actors who don't really fit the characters at all besides vaguely fitting the appearance and someone suggested Lucy Liu for the Wasp

and the Wasp ripped on them for suggesting Lucy Liu because Wasp is asian and "Lucy Liu is the only asian actress you know about"

i giggled

it was like a giant take-that at "fantasy casting" on nerdy message boards and shit.

i thought the wasp was white

like white heiress or something

dd they retcon her into being asian like they did psylocke?

regular Wasp from the normal Avengers comics is white

her last name is even "Van Dyne"

the Wasp from the Ultimates is Asian, in the same way many Ultimates characters got their ethnicities changed (the idea of Nick Fury being a bald black man who looks like Samuel L. Jackson exists only in the Ultimates, for example)

Pony on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    well the problem with spider-man 3 was some studio execs decided they knew more about making a movie than Sam Raimi

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    There's nothing wrong with using a retcon if it fixes something that was really stupid about a character, or if it otherwise makes the story or game more enjoyable.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    And Elldren gets it done better and with less words, as usual.

TL DR on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with using a retcon if it fixes something that was really stupid about a character, or if it otherwise makes the story or game more enjoyable.

I disagree with you.

Arch on
  • Options
    NostregarNostregar Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Captain America: Reborn.

Pretty major retcon in the MU that was also awful.

Nostregar on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    Podly wrote: »
    the places where quantum laws end up becoming the laws we understand at our scales are well-understood. in fact, an understanding of this transition was a prerequisite to the quantum laws in the first place.

the one-word answer is thermodynamics, the slightly longer answer is "around the scale of thousands of atoms"

How? How do these non-physical laws "bind fast" the physical world and create a fundamentally different layer of reality?

the best analogy i can give is how if you filled a continent with equal proportions of black and white marbles and then looked at it from the moon. it is impossible for you, on the moon, to resolve it on the level of marbles or interact with it. so it's grey at your scale.

this isn't a great analogy, but the truth of it is kind of too mathy.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    There's this feminist blog I read and while I agree with most of what they say

There is this firm belief on the blog that any remake or reboot should replace the white male protaganist with a woman of a different ethnicity.

I do not agree with it at all and it drives me insane.

Most people who are rampant about gaining 'equality' need to crack open a dictionary and see what that word means.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Bogart wrote: »
    Ultimate Wasp is asian, normal universe Wasp is white.

Both are actually dead right now, and both of their deaths were rubbish.

You just summed up what I hate about serial comics...

"Both are actually dead right now."

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    There's this feminist blog I read and while I agree with most of what they say

There is this firm belief on the blog that any remake or reboot should replace the white male protaganist with a woman of a different ethnicity.

I do not agree with it at all and it drives me insane.

that is because you are a feminist

and not a crazy person

Pony on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Wearing a fur suit is not a human right.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010

DC reboots the universe every three years to "fix continuity" and it never works

Marvel should have just redone everything Ultimate universe style but they've mostly killed the whole thing now except for Bendis' spider-man

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Elldren wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    I disagree. Your position only makes sense if the mainstream is inherently good and worth protecting. If someone exhibits a behavior that is abnormal, the abnormality itself does not carry a moral burden. Only if it can be shown that the behavior is harmful or an indicator of harm (ie OCD) does it mandate a moral reaction.

What's I'm trying to say is, take your ethnocentrism to France or Turkey. They love that shit over there.

i'd say the opposite. all other things equal, it's preferable to err on the side of a coherent society. it doesn't mean that i want to round up everyone who is left handed into a camp, but it does mean that i am not being immoral by disapproving of the dude wearing a plush animal suit to work.

I'm intrigued by the idea of conformity as a desirable goal (in the social sense, conformity to rules that prevent harm is obviously desirable).

Will was retconned into an Asian

It's actually reminding me of everything I hate about France.

japan on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    Retcons are always terrible.

I disagree with you.

Really, Arch? I thought you hated retcons.

NOTE: I retconned Nerdgasmic's post.

Drez on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »

But it's an animal right

Are you part of the fursecution

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

Being allowed to pursue wearing a fur suit is.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    That is not a retcon I would support, Drez. You've made my post worse with your filthy, filthy hands.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

But it's an animal right

Are you part of the fursecution

That word.

That word.

Nostregar on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

What about just wearing a live animal?

Drez on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Elldren wrote: »
    I disagree. Your position only makes sense if the mainstream is inherently good and worth protecting. If someone exhibits a behavior that is abnormal, the abnormality itself does not carry a moral burden. Only if it can be shown that the behavior is harmful or an indicator of harm (ie OCD) does it mandate a moral reaction.

What's I'm trying to say is, take your ethnocentrism to France or Turkey. They love that shit over there.

i'd say the opposite. all other things equal, it's preferable to err on the side of a coherent society. it doesn't mean that i want to round up everyone who is left handed into a camp, but it does mean that i am not being immoral by disapproving of the dude wearing a plush animal suit to work.

I'm intrigued by the idea of conformity as a desirable goal (in the social sense, conformity to rules that prevent harm is obviously desirable).

Will was retconned into an Asian

It's actually reminding me of everything I hate about France.

Respect knucks!

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Drez wrote: »
    Retcons are always terrible.

I agree with you.

Really, Arch? I thought you hated retcons.

NOTE: I retconned Nerdgasmic's post.

Which Is why I agree with him

NOTE: I retconned my post

Arch on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Like I enjoy the current status of Batman

Spoiler. Kind of.

Previous Robin Dick Grayson who went onto become the Hero Nightwing (really good stuff btw) is currently dressing up as Batman and running around with Bruce's son who is dressed as Robin to promulgate the legend of Batman and Robin in Bruce's absence.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I am not a fan of retcons.

I am okay with reboots. Starting the story over from scratch while changing the details and shit, that's okay.

But actually trying to change something significant and then pretending it was always that way or coming up with some wanky explanation for why it changed to always having been that way is annoying as hell.

For the record, by the by, Psylocke was never "Retconned" to being Asian. Her character was changed to an Asian woman from a white British woman specifically because it involved some psychic body-swap chicanery.

But retcons refer specifically to changing the history of a work and pretending the change was always the way it was. Retconning a character's ethnicity would involve changing it and then pretending that it was always like that.

Like when actors replace other actors as the same character in a TV show and nobody notices the change and they even change flashbacks or something, that's a retcon.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Captain America: Reborn #1 revealed that Steve Rogers did not die; the gun used on him instead transported him to a fixed position in space and time

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    That was not a retcon I would support, Drez. You made my post worse with your filthy, filthy hands.

My words manifest whatsoever I choose.

Drez on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    the places where quantum laws end up becoming the laws we understand at our scales are well-understood. in fact, an understanding of this transition was a prerequisite to the quantum laws in the first place.

the one-word answer is thermodynamics, the slightly longer answer is "around the scale of thousands of atoms"

How? How do these non-physical laws "bind fast" the physical world and create a fundamentally different layer of reality?

Because quantum laws don't refer to the physical world? No matter how much we want them to?

Did I get this wrong Will?

it's basically that quantum laws acting on large numbers of particles become the set of physical laws that effect us. it's not a sharp division of the two.

like rolling a quadrillion six-sided dice and finding the average. it's gonna be 3.5 every damn time.

i mean quantum scales are fucking tiny. like a decimal point with like 33 zeroes after it.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Captain America is dumb as hell.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Because quantum laws don't refer to the physical world? No matter how much we want them to?

Did I get this wrong Will?

it's basically that quantum laws acting on large numbers of particles become the set of physical laws that effect us. it's not a sharp division of the two.

like rolling a quadrillion six-sided dice and finding the average. it's gonna be 3.5 every damn time.

i mean quantum scales are fucking tiny. like a decimal point with like 33 zeroes after it.

Gotcha

EDIT: I was kinda right

Arch on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Like I enjoy the current status of Batman

Spoiler. Kind of.

Previous Robin Dick Grayson who went onto become the Hero Nightwing (really good stuff btw) is currently dressing up as Batman and running around with Bruce's son who is dressed as Robin to promulgate the legend of Batman and Robin in Bruce's absence.

Didn't Bruce Wayne like
    die, then come back as a zombie joining the evil counterpart to the green lanterns

or something silly like that?

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Maybe I am confusing retcon with reboot, in a story sense.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

What about just wearing a live animal?

Absolutely not permissible

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Captain America is dumb as hell.

Some is good, some is not.

Right now, mostly not.

Nostregar on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Drez is amazing.

I agree with you. Drez is amazing.

Thank you, both. But I already knew this.

I know. I humbly apologize for imparting information you were already privy too.

That's okay then. You are forgiven.

Note: Extensive rewrite. Had to keep everything in line for future posts/threads.

Drez on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    there aren't many good serious superhero movies

The Dark Knight is excellent, but there's not much "super" in it.

for something more along the lines of the themes of superheroism, interestingly enough, those who are interested should watch Special

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think the only superhero comic I've really read is civil war

and that was I don't need your civil war, instead

gotta say, civil war has such a horrible plot

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Nostregar wrote: »

Captain America: Reborn.

Pretty major retcon in the MU that was also awful.

I don't know, making a deal with the devil is still my biggest peeve with any changes that have been done.

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
This discussion has been closed.