As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Thanks, [chat]

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dalton is sexier than Brosnan.

god

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Choco and I have been having an argument for like two months about whether Pierce Brosnand as Bond or Daniel Craig is hotter.

It's obviously Craig. Brosnand looks like your uncle who is tired because he moved into a new tax bracket and he likes to drink too much wine and complain about welfare queens at Christmas while everyone uncomfortably ignores him.

I dunno, I'd do them both.

Preferably at the same time.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    ok so then why is that kate beaton comic so funny to me

because it's standard internet nerd humor and you are a standard internet nerd

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    super-hero movies can be good

what i don't understand is the nerdy obsession with "ascending" comic books they love to movie adaptations

it's like, why do you want a movie adaptation, anyway?

the truth is for a lot of comic book nerds is that even though they might have a scowly contempt for mainstream culture, they still want the affirmation of seeing their favorite thing in a more popular medium.

Pony on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Choco and I have been having an argument for like two months about whether Pierce Brosnand as Bond or Daniel Craig is hotter.

It's obviously Craig. Brosnand looks like your uncle who is tired because he moved into a new tax bracket and he likes to drink too much wine and complain about welfare queens at Christmas while everyone uncomfortably ignores him.

Brosnan is more debonair. Craig has more of a rough-and-tumble bruiser build. Brosnan is closer to what Ian Fleming personally envisioned Bond to look like. He did not originally like the Sean Connery casting, IIRC.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Podly wrote: »

fair enough

Arch on
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

Craig 100%

choco is not allowed to judge the attractiveness of men, ever

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Gonmun wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Ryadic wrote: »

Not into a serious movie. Keep it lighthearted and true to it's source and still animated.

Can't be done man, super heroes have to all be "SUPER SERIOUS!" I mean look at the propsed spiderman reboot and weep.

Ugh...don't remind me. Marvel's already got success with Iron Man. I'm really hoping Thor and Cap are good because that would hopefully translate into a really good Avengers movie. They should just try and stick to one group or story set for a bit and then move to another instead of trying to hit a bunch all at once.

the avengers are not an interesting property

they are just a bunch of superheroes without much of a theme or premise

to be honest, they are going to have to really work to keep captain america and thor from being boring fan-service bullshit

they will almost certainly suck unless the writers and directors can find some kind of interesting hook

The Avengers are pretty much the flagship title for Marvel. I agree that there is going to have to be some huge strides for Thor and Cap as far as movies but the same was said about Iron Man before it came out and look how that turned out. I think Marvel made a good move with going on it's own as far as production and got away from Sony. I think though that if they can get anywhere near the acclaim with Thor and Cap that they did with Iron Man that an Avengers movie would pretty much be a cash cow for them in the end.

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    here are the three things you need to make a good superhero movie

-great action scenes
    -genuinely funny writing
    -impressive special effects

here's what you don't need

-angst
    -serious storylines
    -people crying

this is because *many popular* superheroes are inherently ridiculous, and one should embrace that

fixed.

haha no. They're all incredibly silly.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010

fair enough

what i am really getting at is

the comic has nothing to do with his anything right?

Arch on
  • Options
    NostregarNostregar Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Pony wrote: »

what i don't understand is the nerdy obsession with "ascending" comic books they love to movie adaptations

the truth is for a lot of comic book nerds is that even though they might have a scowly contempt for mainstream culture, they still want the affirmation of seeing their favorite thing in a more popular medium.

I don't think that's it at all.

Seeing a live-action version of a comic you know and love, if done well, is a really great experience.

See: Iron Man and the new Batman movies.

Nostregar on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Guys.

Yoga before or after workout?

TL DR on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    I disagree. Your position only makes sense if the mainstream is inherently good and worth protecting. If someone exhibits a behavior that is abnormal, the abnormality itself does not carry a moral burden. Only if it can be shown that the behavior is harmful or an indicator of harm (ie OCD) does it mandate a moral reaction.

What's I'm trying to say is, take your ethnocentrism to France or Turkey. They love that shit over there.

i'd say the opposite. all other things equal, it's preferable to err on the side of a coherent society. it doesn't mean that i want to round up everyone who is left handed into a camp, but it does mean that i am not being immoral by disapproving of the dude wearing a plush animal suit to work.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Pierce Brosnand is a much more handsome man.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Bliss 101 wrote: »

I dunno, I'd do them both.

Preferably at the same time.

Apparently Daniel Craig has a monster dick.

So really Brosnand would look sad and tiny next to him.

CRAIG WINS IN ALL WAYS.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

fair enough

Well, I mean, it's just absurd humor, and Kierkegaard sort of invented the intellectual concept of the absurd, so it's somewhat related, but basically yeah nothing to do with it.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    where

where did you hear that, cass

Hakkekage on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Guys.

Brosnan has no "D" on the end.

Nostregar on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

fair enough

Well, I mean, it's just absurd humor, and Kierkegaard sort of invented the intellectual concept of the absurd, so it's somewhat related, but basically yeah nothing to do with it.

Ok then

one sec looking at it again and giggling

Arch on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    I hear you pony, Nathan Fillion is the new Bruce Campbell.

pretty much yeah.

i remember laughing pretty hard during one of the first few issues of The Ultimates (re-make of the Avengers) and the Ultimates team themselves were doing fantasy casting of who would play them in a movie about them and they were using all well-known actors who don't really fit the characters at all besides vaguely fitting the appearance and someone suggested Lucy Liu for the Wasp

and the Wasp ripped on them for suggesting Lucy Liu because Wasp is asian and "Lucy Liu is the only asian actress you know about"

i giggled

it was like a giant take-that at "fantasy casting" on nerdy message boards and shit.

i thought the wasp was white

like white heiress or something

dd they retcon her into being asian like they did psylocke?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »

-great action scenes
    -genuinely funny writing

-angst
    -serious storylines
    -people crying

this is because *many popular* superheroes are inherently ridiculous, and one should embrace that

fixed.

haha no. They're all incredibly silly.

That's a pretty narrow minded viewpoint. There are a lot of comics that involve people with super human abilities or powers that manage to be much more than bright tights.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    greendino.jpg

Hahaha oh what the fuck

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I disagree. Your position only makes sense if the mainstream is inherently good and worth protecting. If someone exhibits a behavior that is abnormal, the abnormality itself does not carry a moral burden. Only if it can be shown that the behavior is harmful or an indicator of harm (ie OCD) does it mandate a moral reaction.

What's I'm trying to say is, take your ethnocentrism to France or Turkey. They love that shit over there.

i'd say the opposite. all other things equal, it's preferable to err on the side of a coherent society. it doesn't mean that i want to round up everyone who is left handed into a camp, but it does mean that i am not being immoral by disapproving of the dude wearing a plush animal suit to work.

I'm intrigued by the idea of conformity as a desirable goal (in the social sense, conformity to rules that prevent harm is obviously desirable).

japan on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    where

translation: pics plz

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    My favourite bond movie is The Tailor of Panama.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010

pretty much yeah.

i remember laughing pretty hard during one of the first few issues of The Ultimates (re-make of the Avengers) and the Ultimates team themselves were doing fantasy casting of who would play them in a movie about them and they were using all well-known actors who don't really fit the characters at all besides vaguely fitting the appearance and someone suggested Lucy Liu for the Wasp

and the Wasp ripped on them for suggesting Lucy Liu because Wasp is asian and "Lucy Liu is the only asian actress you know about"

i giggled

it was like a giant take-that at "fantasy casting" on nerdy message boards and shit.

If I recall correctly, the Ultimates is actually a different universe.

So, it isn't really a retcon.

Nostregar on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    where

translation: pics plz

look

i'm just saying

all i'm implying is

13 and a half inch dick

maybe

Hakkekage on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    if there is one word that describes why i really dislike "comic books" in the sense that they refer to things like Batman, Avengers, and the like

it is "retcon"

Nothing makes me more annoyed than that.

How about, instead of inventing or just changing something about the previously established universe, you create new and interesting comics and characters?

Arch on
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    How many people would throw heavy things at me if I said I like the Xmen movies

all of them

I'd throw large objects at you for liking the third. The other two I'd basically agree with you. I didn't have much of a problem with Singer not doing the third, more so the story was so fucking botched from the source as far as the phoenix and the whole
    killing Scott and the Professor off at the beginning
    that it just ruined it for me. The one shining light out of it though. Kelsey Grammar. In my mind, that man is and shall always be Hank McCoy.

Gonmun in reference to Phoenix, I would say that the source for Phoenix is so silly that what they "did to it" is just as ludicrous. Maybe even less so

Spider-Phoenix anyone?

You didn't even necessarily need to have Phoenix be from space. Maybe some sort of entity or hell another mutant that managed to manipulate Jean. Having it as
    a personality disorder
    just felt like such a cop out in my mind. But hey, they gotta try and make it work somehow. At least it wasn't "goo from a meteorite".

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    if there is one word that describes why i really dislike "comic books" in the sense that they refer to things like Batman, Avengers, and the like

it is "retcon"

Nothing makes me more annoyed than that.

How about, instead of inventing or just changing something about the previously established universe, you create new and interesting comics and characters?

$$$$

Nostregar on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Because people are curious to see action implied in stills or text in motion. Because people "think" in motion. We are motile creatures.

When you have 12 panels consisting of still images or five paragraphs discussing a "scene," most people fill in the blanks imagining the scene come to life in motion. I feel this is why the Lord of the Rings movie adaptation was such a massive success. Despite the fact that it was fairly decent as a film, people went to see it to see if how they imagined the film was how someone else saw it.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited March 2010

pretty much yeah.

i giggled

Psylocke had a rather extensive thing through which she became Asian that, while it doesn't really make much sense, isn't really a retcon.

Unless they retconned that

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

pretty much yeah.

i giggled

Ultimates Wasp was asian

Ultimates was like Avengers rebooted in a different universe with real writers and no shit continuity

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    How many people would throw heavy things at me if I said I like the Xmen movies

all of them

I'd throw large objects at you for liking the third. The other two I'd basically agree with you. I didn't have much of a problem with Singer not doing the third, more so the story was so fucking botched from the source as far as the phoenix and the whole
    killing Scott and the Professor off at the beginning
    that it just ruined it for me. The one shining light out of it though. Kelsey Grammar. In my mind, that man is and shall always be Hank McCoy.

Gonmun in reference to Phoenix, I would say that the source for Phoenix is so silly that what they "did to it" is just as ludicrous. Maybe even less so

Spider-Phoenix anyone?

You didn't even necessarily need to have Phoenix be from space. Maybe some sort of entity or hell another mutant that managed to manipulate Jean. Having it as
    a personality disorder
    just felt like such a cop out in my mind. But hey, they gotta try and make it work somehow. At least it wasn't "goo from a meteorite".

I think I much prefer the take of "Absolute power corrupts absolutely" than OMG ITS NOT HER FAULT EVIL SPACE FORCE

Arch on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    There's this feminist blog I read and while I agree with most of what they say

There is this firm belief on the blog that any remake or reboot should replace the white male protaganist with a woman of a different ethnicity.

I do not agree with it at all and it drives me insane.

• Options
    edited March 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »

-great action scenes
    -genuinely funny writing

-angst
    -serious storylines
    -people crying

this is because superheroes are inherently ridiculous, and one should embrace that

eh, Batman begins showed that you can do the latter provided you have the least Super of Superheroes and one of the best directors currently working

the first and second spiderman movies had relatively serious themes and were good

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    japan wrote: »

I'm intrigued by the idea of conformity as a desirable goal (in the social sense, conformity to rules that prevent harm is obviously desirable).

Will was retconned into an Asian

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    Ultimate Wasp is asian, normal universe Wasp is white.

Both are actually dead right now, and both of their deaths were rubbish.

Bogart on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

But there is a practical concern with dude wearing a plush animal suit to work. If he's unable to work as well because he can't move as much or because clients will disapprove (ie you are at least to a degree selling an image) then there is a reason to prohibit the suit. But your argument seems to be that the suit itself, because other people don't wear them, somehow corrodes the foundation of society. Should we feel the same way about the foreign exchange student who wears a funny hat? Hey, foreigner! We don't take kindly to funny hats, not because we're reactionary bigots but because our democracy cannot stand such assaults.

TL DR on
This discussion has been closed.